Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   The FRANK HENENLOTTER THREAD (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/1696-frank-henenlotter-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd September 2009 09:08 PM

The FRANK HENENLOTTER THREAD

6 Attachment(s)
Remember that Bond/Carly Simon song...'Nobody Does It Better'? Well,when it comes to refreshingly mad cult 'B' movies,nobody does it quite like New York helmer Frank Henenlotter.
BASKET CASE introduced the world to Duane Bradley and his siamese twin Belial,who is transported around in a wicker basket/hamper.Seperated by vets and left to die,Duane's mutant brother uses his sibling to seek a gory revenge on those responsible.......
Filmed around Times Square and 42nd Street in early eighties New York,the film really catches the esscence of the sleaziness of the city before it was cleaned up.
Followed by two sequels,which while enjoyable,were no way gonna match up to the raw energy and originality of the first.
Brain Damage perhaps came closest to Basket Case with it's tale of the Alymer,a phallic parasite,which induces it's victims with an addictive hallucinogenic drug in return for victims,on whose brains it can feed!
Frankenhooker offers an amusing and gory twist on films like Frankenstein (Obviously!) and Re-Animator,whilst his latest offering Bad Biology,a twisted take on Deep Throat,and dealing with sexual satisfaction,is needless to say,not quite what you'd expect......
Henenlotter's first film in sixteen years,let's hope it doesn't take 'Mad Frank' quite as long to churn out his next twisted creature feature......

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd September 2009 10:41 PM

Tell us what you think of his films....what's your favourite?

According to FH,the wad of cash Duane produces when checking in to the hotel,was not a prop and was the film's budget!:shocked:

vincenzo 22nd September 2009 10:43 PM

I'm not a huge fan of his work though I did enjoy the original Basket Case.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd September 2009 10:45 PM

It's certainly quite unique Vince.

Kyle 22nd September 2009 11:44 PM

my fav has to be brain damage but i love basket case and frankenhooker.

bad biology was awesome too!

mbv 23rd September 2009 09:22 AM

I'm a huge fan of Basket Case and Brain Damage. The Basket Case sequels weren't great, never saw Frankenhooker.
Bad Biology is a nice return though.

Peter Neal 23rd September 2009 09:25 AM

Still have to see "Bad Biology", but apart from that I think he never did better than with his first two flicks, with "Brain Damage" winning only slightly over "Basket Case", which is also good, but I have the most fond VHS memories of "Brain Damage", which surprisingly enough got released fully uncut in Germany back then while the US and UK releases were censored on video.:o

Vampix 23rd September 2009 02:44 PM

I've only got one Henenlotter flick in my collection and that's the Something Weird SE of Basket Case, not really a big fan of his other films.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd September 2009 10:56 PM

Nothing else in his career ever quite achieved the same 'sleazy' effect as Basket Case.Along with films like Taxi Driver and The Exterminator,it showed New York for the sewer it was back then.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 07:58 PM

So who else likes 'Mad Frankie's' mental films?:eyebrows: