Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Arrow Video - City Of The Living Dead (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/1772-arrow-video-city-living-dead.html)

springjack 20th July 2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 167541)
I think The Beyond has the best PQ of all Arrow Video releases so far, it looked stunning on my TV.

Vamp... Funhouse... Phenomena... Have you checked those?

antmumford 20th July 2011 10:01 PM

Yep, seen them all and The Beyond stood out the most for me

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

LoBo 20th July 2011 10:54 PM

It`s not only film grain you see. It is also compression artifacts and image noise mixed togeth with heavy film grain. I think the Blue Underground BD actually looks a bit better because it better compression and a little stronger colours, but it also has image noise.

This reviewer says this about the film grain:
"Unusually for a Techniscope movie, the film is actually framed at 1.85:1 (confirmed by BU's Bill Lustig, folks) and then probably matted either side by Fulci. This now means that it has been blown up even more than is common to fill the 16:9 image. And this, in turn, finds the film now looking grainier and a touch softer than you might have expected as, really, this isn't a comfortable format to be working in."

http://www.avforums.com/movies/Paura...1/blu-ray.html

Look at this comparison:

Ein Zombie hing am Glockenseil | Blu-ray: US vs. Blu-ray: UK

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st July 2011 05:39 AM

Screen comparisons mean bugger all to me.It's when it's on that HD TV that matters.
I own both versions,and IMO both look great,the best I've ever seen the film.

Yerffoeg Samoht 21st July 2011 08:28 AM

Having nothing to compare it too but vipco i was just surprised with the snowy whatever it is. Seems like no one else really has this issue. I've only picked up 3 of Arrow's Blu's so far with Day Of The Dead having easily the best picture. The Beyond is also stunning so when i got around to watching City I thought i must have a duff copy.

Prince_Vajda 21st July 2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yerffoeg Samoht (Post 167607)
Having nothing to compare it too but vipco i was just surprised with the snowy whatever it is. Seems like no one else really has this issue. I've only picked up 3 of Arrow's Blu's so far with Day Of The Dead having easily the best picture. The Beyond is also stunning so when i got around to watching City I thought i must have a duff copy.

Now you know - you don't. ;)

The PQ of COTLD may not be top-notch compared to other Arrow releases - however, it still looks more than alright. To be blunt: sometimes, the film grain looks indeed a bit unnatural in single scenes - but most of the time, it looks the way it should look.

Greetings!

Yerffoeg Samoht 21st July 2011 09:32 AM

Fair enough then. Greetings!

P-Mac 2nd December 2012 02:14 PM

Even though this has moved to ArrowDrome, Fopp in Glasgow are selling the 2-Disc edition for £5. Hurry if you don't have it already!

Vampix 2nd December 2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 167608)

The PQ of COTLD may not be top-notch compared to other Arrow releases - however, it still looks more than alright. To be blunt: sometimes, the film grain looks indeed a bit unnatural in single scenes - but most of the time, it looks the way it should look.

Does the BU Blu-ray of City have better PQ than the Arrow? Or is there no difference or negligible difference? I've got the Arrow DVD and the BU BD.

springjack 2nd December 2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 297817)
Does the BU Blu-ray of City have better PQ than the Arrow? Or is there no difference or negligible difference? I've got the Arrow DVD and the BU BD.

Judge for yourself...

Both prints were struck from the same master, but Arrow has more compression artifacts.

City of the Living Dead | Blu-ray: US vs. Blu-ray: UK