Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Inferno - Tell the Uninitiated What to Expect! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/2942-inferno-tell-uninitiated-what-expect.html)

Almar@Cult Labs 31st May 2010 06:01 PM

Inferno - Tell the Uninitiated What to Expect!

It's interesting that a lot of people don't seem to have seen Infero - If you have why not tell the uninitiated what to expect? Do mark any spoilers please.

OllieMugwump 3rd June 2010 06:43 PM

My personal favourite Argento (and Lucio Fulci's it would seem from interviews: he cast two of the pivotal actresses Veronica Lazar and Ania Pieroni in The Beyond and House by the Cemetery))his most mystical and surreal film.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd June 2010 06:58 PM

Expect an amazing,colourful dreamlike tale,with sudden bursts of violence.
The underwater scene has to be seen to be believed.:nod:

Splatterdragon73 6th June 2010 10:30 AM

"Beautifully shot but never mind the plot!";)

Beyond72 7th June 2010 02:49 PM

The cinematography and lighting is arguable better than Suspiria's!
More laidback than Suspiria at times but that's not a problem for me (I find it so relaxing to watch.) and I prefer it's more poetic ending.
Not everyone's cup of tea mind.

springjack 7th June 2010 10:48 PM

Plot???

Who needs plot when we have great music,
great gore
and...
images that speak more that a thousand "screams" (words) :laugh:

mercury 8th June 2010 12:31 PM

You've sold me. When is the release date, I can't seem to find it:confused:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th June 2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 84970)
You've sold me. When is the release date, I can't seem to find it:confused:

2nd of August, I think.

Philleh 8th June 2010 06:09 PM

Expect to see a cat eat a mouse!

Sorry... couldn't resist! :doh:

springjack 8th June 2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Expect to see a cat eat a mouse!
The cat didnĀ“t eat the mouse.
The mouse was mine and it stil lives to this day...:dance:

Koukol 17th June 2010 02:39 PM

Ok, this is my first post here and I'm not sure if this is in the right place.

Does anyone know if the BD of INFERNO will be a new print taken from the negative?

I already have the AB and the Italian dvd and I'm not satisfied with either.

The AB is too soft and the Italian colour is too faded.

Will there be screen-caps posted here?

bdc 17th June 2010 07:08 PM

Hi B nice to see you here!
:welcome:

Unfortunately I can't give you anymore info on this.

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th June 2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koukol (Post 86867)
Ok, this is my first post here and I'm not sure if this is in the right place.

Does anyone know if the BD of INFERNO will be a new print taken from the negative?

I already have the AB and the Italian dvd and I'm not satisfied with either.

The AB is too soft and the Italian colour is too faded.

Will there be screen-caps posted here?

There will probabaly be screencaps for comparison purposes on sites like DVDBeaver nearer release time. As for Knowing if it will be from a new print or an existing one,no idea. Arrow haven't let us down yet with their transfers so hopefully Inferno will be no exception.

darthelvis 17th June 2010 08:26 PM

Got the BU disc recently but decided not to watch it and hold out for the Arrow release for my first Inferno experience!

Pre-ordering all Arrow releases as they are by far the best dvd company in the world right now!

Koukol 17th June 2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 86951)
Hi B nice to see you here!
:welcome:

Unfortunately I can't give you anymore info on this.

Thanks for the welcome BD!

Koukol 17th June 2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 86957)
There will probabaly be screencaps for comparison purposes on sites like DVDBeaver nearer release time. As for Knowing if it will be from a new print or an existing one,no idea. Arrow haven't let us down yet with their transfers so hopefully Inferno will be no exception.

Thanks for the reply, Stevoj.

Yes I'm familiar with DVDBeaver...Great site!

It'll be interesting to see how INFERNO will look.
I just hope the colours aren't pulled.

skyofcrack 16th October 2010 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 86957)

Inferno : Screenshot Comparison

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th October 2010 07:34 AM

Tbh, I'd prefer to wait until the CO disc is actually released and a site does a proper detailed comparison between the two and not compare shots from the Arrow disc to shots that CO have released themselves just to say, hey folks Arrow's disc is crap and ours will be much better, buy our disc.

skyofcrack 16th October 2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 108454)
Tbh, I'd prefer to wait until the CO disc is actually released and a site does a proper detailed comparison between the two and not compare shots from the Arrow disc to shots that CO have released themselves just to say, hey folks Arrow's disc is crap and ours will be much better, buy our disc.

Of course that's ideal but it won't exactly be easy to obtain the CO disc nor is it certain there will be full comparisons done by sites such as DVDBeaver.

This one shot comparison (where you can easily see the differences by scrolling your mouse over the image) clearly shows that the CO has more grain, is sharper and is not zoomed in.

There is no reason to believe that these caps are not accurate just because they were posted by CO. As a niche company, they can't afford to lie to their customers. Imagine if it turned out they manipulated either the Arrow or CO caps to make theirs look better. They'd be done as a company. No one would trust them again.

Seeing these caps now just helps people make informed decisions without having to pay for two copies of the same film if they don't want to.

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th October 2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyofcrack (Post 108466)
There is no reason to believe that these caps are not accurate just because they were posted by CO. As a niche company, they can't afford to lie to their customers. Imagine if it turned out they manipulated either the Arrow or CO caps to make theirs look better. They'd be done as a company. No one would trust them again.

Of course there's no reason to believe it,but as others have pointed out, the way they are going about putting down the Arrow release and posting shots comparing the two is pretty unprofessional. If Arrow or any other company did it, i'd be saying exactly the same thing. I'd prefer to wait for an unbiased comparison from a third party when they have both discs in their hands.

bdc 16th October 2010 08:58 AM

I agree with Stephen,I want a detailed comparison.
You simply can't make an informed decision on screencaps only.

Oh and there certainly will be full comparisons done (once the CO disc is finally released),this is Argento we're talking about. ;)

skyofcrack 16th October 2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 108467)
Of course there's no reason to believe it,but as others have pointed out, the way they are going about putting down the Arrow release and posting shots comparing the two is pretty unprofessional. If Arrow or any other company did it, i'd be saying exactly the same thing. I'd prefer to wait for an unbiased comparison from a third party when they have both discs in their hands.

I'm not gonna defend their actions but I have more of a problem with Arrow not responding to my continued questions regarding the zoomed image or the removed corpse from Rick's art.

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th October 2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyofcrack (Post 108471)
I'm not gonna defend their actions but I have more of a problem with Arrow not responding to my continued questions regarding the zoomed image or the removed corpse from Rick's art.

No idea. Perhaps they thought it looked better without the corpse.

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th October 2010 09:36 AM

Although, the addition of the corpse etc, gives it a bit more colour.

Almar@Cult Labs 16th October 2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyofcrack (Post 108471)

The image on the disc is as supplied by the licensor. The corpse was removed for titling reasons and Rick likes the result.

On other matters in general folks I have no problem with comparison shots - but when they are for other companies they should be posted here in the Blu-Ray section:

Blu-ray - Cult Labs - The Official Forums for Select Cult Films, TV, Labels and More

This thread was specifically set up to tell people who hadn't seen Inferno what to expect in terms of the content, style of the film etc so let's keep it to that please.

skyofcrack 16th October 2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 108497)
The image on the disc is as supplied by the licensor.

Why would they supply Arrow with a pre-zoomed image and not CO? These are all supposedly from the same source.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 108497)
The corpse was removed for titling reasons and Rick likes the result.

I'm sorry but the current titling is way too large and is clearly filling in the space where the corpse and bloody wall were. I've spoken to Rick about the corpse removal and I wouldn't say he likes the result.

Why not put it up for a vote here? Corpse or nor corpse?

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th October 2010 11:47 AM

While It looks good with the corpse, I have no problem with it being removed to get the title on there. Arrow seem to have made their choice and I can live with it.

skyofcrack 17th October 2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 108656)
While It looks good with the corpse, I have no problem with it being romoved to get the title on there. Arrow seem to have made their choice and I can live with it.

Looks like the title fits with plenty of room to me.

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s...d_rick_alt.jpg

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th October 2010 05:25 PM

Yeah it does but that's not the titling they're using. The version without the corpse looks pretty sweet as well, especially with the bigger title.

bdc 17th October 2010 05:46 PM

Why are you two discussing the Deep Red artwork in the Inferno thread? ;)
The corpse is a bit too much I think,the approved artwork looks less busy and more classy due to the use of more black.
But that's just my opinion. :behindsofa:

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th October 2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 108683)
Why are you two discussing the Deep Red artwork in the Inferno thread? ;)

Skyofcrack's original question was a 2 part one about Inferno and Deep Red. :)

bdc 17th October 2010 05:54 PM

I see. ;)
Well I posted my opinion on the previous page...

Almar@Cult Labs 17th October 2010 06:55 PM

But anyway yes indeed - any further Deep Red conversation certainly needs to move to that thread.

It's a great painting with the corpse but the titling works better with a simpler version and that's that.

And now I'm still talking about Deep Red myself now on this thread! :focus:

Kain 18th October 2010 09:21 PM

Inferno

I was one of the uninitiated, and i must say i was very disappointed. Now this was not with the release very good package as usual, but the film its self. There seems to be far to many reasons why i did'nt like this film (buy the way a LOVE suspiria). The music was awful, i saw the other thread regarding the music and the varied opinions of it, but i felt it through me out of the film it was like playing cannibal corpse to a sensual love making scene, and i didnt feel it worked as any kind of juxtaposition like in clockwork orange. This was in contrast to suspiria where i felt the music gave some fantastic scenes some real punch and creepiness. Character, was another bug bear for me i just didnt know anything about them to the point that i coundnt care less about wether they succeeded or failed. I think i was expecting a lot, from seeing suspiria to then reading posts on this hear forum and was ultimately disapointed. That was just my thoughts on the film, rivaled card player for worst argento movie i've seen. Would like to hear from people whether they agree or not!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th October 2010 09:25 PM

We're all entitled to our opinions.:)

How do you rate Argento's Phantom of the Opera and The Stendhal Syndrome?

And as a matter of interest have you seen Mother of Tears?:)

Kain 19th October 2010 07:34 AM

inferno

yes ive seen standel and mother of tears. MOT i didnt like at all but standel was good. What was it about Inferno you liked, i'm always intrested in others opinions especially if they differ from mine, it intresting to hear how two people can have vastly different opinions on the exact same thing, as they say one man's rubbish is another man's treasure!

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 19th October 2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain (Post 108922)
yes ive seen standel and mother of tears. MOT i didnt like at all but standel was good. What was it about Inferno you liked, i'm always intrested in others opinions especially if they differ from mine, it intresting to hear how two people can have vastly different opinions on the exact same thing, as they say one man's rubbish is another man's treasure!

I don't think you're necessarily alone. I must admit Inferno wasn't quite what I expected it to be (it was my first time too). First time I watched it I was mixed on it, but intrigued enough by it that I wanted to go back. I found my second viewing to be a lot more rewarding once the film had kind of settled in with me. I think it's one of those films I'll probably appreciate more the more I watch it.

We did a podcast about it after it was released and most of the feedback was in the negative. Again, like you no complaints about the release, we were discussing the film itself.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th October 2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain (Post 108922)

Whilst not quite as good as Suspiria or Deep Red,I found it very interesting when watching it as part of the trilogy.Certain thins start to fall into place.
The underwater scene was astounding.
I'll be honest though,it took some repeat viewings for me to come to appreciate Inferno.
As you say Kain,all opinions.:)

I enjoyed MOT far more than Stendhal! :behindsofa:

Bringer Of Funerals 26th February 2012 05:22 PM

I watched it for the 1st time last night, i loved it and would deffo check out other Argento films

platostotal 26th February 2012 10:21 PM

INFERNO is one of my films I still have on vhs not disc (spose that says something in itself) I wouldn't say it's up there or really down there, more of a mid Argento, but to agree with others, WTF is the score/soundtrack about? I guess when you can come up with a SUSPIRIA or PROFONDO ROSSO, we just expect that quality on a day to day basis with his work, but that underwater bit is just sooo good, even if the great BAVA helmed it.