Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Arrow Video - Mario Bava's Bay of Blood - Archive Conversation (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/3288-arrow-video-mario-bavas-bay-blood-archive-conversation.html)

bgart13 23rd September 2010 11:42 PM

Regarding Cunningham and saying he was unaware of Bava and this movie til the 80's isn't really believable. In the US, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT was distributed by Hallmark -- Hallmark also distributed A BAY OF BLOOD in the US as LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT 2 after Cunningham's movie (of course Hallmark released BAY as TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE initially in '72 before renaming it to take advantage of LAST HOUSE's success). I have doubted Cunningham's statements that he hadn't seen this film before doing FRIDAY THE 13th -- I can't imagine he was unaware of his movie, LAST HOUSE..., getting a name-only sequel and released by the same company in the same year. The facts really don't add up.

As far as how much it influenced F13, well it's clearly only in the murder scenes and effects. But it's there. Storywise, of course it didn't influence the series.

Calum 23rd September 2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 104471)
Regarding Cunningham and saying he was unaware of Bava and this movie til the 80's isn't really believable. In the US, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT was distributed by Hallmark -- Hallmark also distributed A BAY OF BLOOD in the US as LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT 2 after Cunningham's movie (of course Hallmark released BAY as TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE initially in '72 before renaming it to take advantage of LAST HOUSE's success). I have doubted Cunningham's statements that he hadn't seen this film before doing FRIDAY THE 13th -- I can't imagine he was unaware of his movie, LAST HOUSE..., getting a name-only sequel and released by the same company in the same year. The facts really don't add up.

As far as how much it influenced F13, well it's clearly only in the murder scenes and effects. But it's there. Storywise, of course it didn't influence the series.

Cunningham also disassociated himself with Last House on the Left after its release - telling me he didn't see it again until 1983 (during which time he walked out of a retro screening). There would have been no reason for him to see the "fake" sequel - and that's supposing it did play in a cinema near him (back then these films were harder to see than you'd think). I did a massive piece on Cunningham which was split across Rue Morgue and Shock Cinema back in 2004 and which totalled about 10,000 words: considering he openly admits to ripping off Halloween why would he lie about not ripping off Bay of Blood? Why would he also admit to now knowing about Bava and being a fan of his work?

But even if he is lying (and again I'm not sure why he would when Bava is now a critical darling!) the fact remains: there are no similarities in the murder scenes of Bay of Blood and the first Friday the 13th. No similarities in plot, characters, situations, build-up or anything. The sole similarity is that they are both set by a lakeside - but then so are many horror movies.

I've never seen the similarity between these two movies and it's not to discredit Bava at all (who is a vastly superior filmmaker to Cunningham and whose best work I rate up there with Hitchcock).

bgart13 24th September 2010 12:42 AM

Ok, if Cunningham wasn't the individual who used the murders from BAY, was it Miner? The effects person? A producer? The writer?

bgart13 24th September 2010 01:21 AM

Back to the movie itself...

Trailers From Hell & Edgar Wright doing... CARNAGE!!!

http://www.trailersfromhell.com/trailers/106

Zombie Dude 24th September 2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 104387)
It would be simpler just to have one.

I for one am very happy that Arrow offer a range of different covers to choose from.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th September 2010 05:30 AM

Rick's and Cover 2 are by far the best.:nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th September 2010 09:58 AM

:eek: Would you belive that I've only just noticed the Knife on Rick's cover? :blush:

Calum 24th September 2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 104477)
Ok, if Cunningham wasn't the individual who used the murders from BAY, was it Miner? The effects person? A producer? The writer?

Well what murders are you talking about? There are no murders copied from Bay of Blood in the first Friday the 13th! The copied-kill is the two lovers being impaled in Friday the 13th Part 2, which Cunningham had nothing to do with. He left the series after part one. I'd be kinda shocked if he saw all the sequels (he grabbed me as more of a businessman, and a very intelligent and savvy one at that, than anything else).

Almar@Cult Labs 24th September 2010 03:00 PM

So moving FIRMLY back to A Bay of Blood (let's have another thread for Bay vs Friday eh?) :nod:

Arrow have been following this thread with great interest. Rick's artwork stays - it's there to grab people and the success rate is good. Decent sales mean more films, more extras etc.

Onto the other panels - it's hard to get hi-res versions of a lot of the stuff out there on the web but Arrow have read through this all, burrowed about and the result is we keep panels 1 and 2 and have different 3 and 4. So for your perusal today is panel 3 - a familiar video classic interpretation:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...l3lo-res-1.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th September 2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 104571)
So moving FIRMLY back to A Bay of Blood (let's have another thread for Bay vs Friday eh?) :nod:

Arrow have been following this thread with great interest. Rick's artwork stays - it's there to grab people and the success rate is good. Decent sales mean more films, more extras etc.

Onto the other panels - it's hard to get hi-res versions of a lot of the stuff out there on the web but Arrow have read through this all, burrowed about and the result is we keep panels 1 and 2 and have different 3 and 4. So for your perusal today is panel 3 - a familiar video classic interpretation:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f...l3lo-res-1.jpg

Absolutely fantastic - nice one Almar, and nice one Arrow! :cool: :dance: