Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Arrow Video - Battle Royale - The Archive Conversation (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/3309-arrow-video-battle-royale-archive-conversation.html)

Almar@Cult Labs 22nd July 2010 12:38 PM

Arrow Video - Battle Royale - The Archive Conversation

Arrow Video get excited about all their titles as you can see but they're literally frothing at the mouth with excitement about Kinji Fukasaku's incredible Battle Royale and their plans to bring it to special edition DVD and... Blu-ray. Current release date is looking like 4th October.

Phats 22nd July 2010 12:42 PM

:shocked: Wow. I love this movie but I've never got round to buying it on DVD. First day purchase for me and I can't wait.:woot:

Pete 22nd July 2010 12:47 PM

Great news! Saw this advertised a few weeks back but I thought it was going to be a normal Arrow release. I'm glad it's not :)

Playzocker 22nd July 2010 12:50 PM

Oh god - I love it when I read an announcement and think "no, I already own that one on DVD", then read "and on Blu-ray" and the status of eternal bliss is reinstated.

Thanks so much ... and I hope that your BD will include the Director's Cut (or both versions of the film which would be even better) since the DC really improves the film here...

pedromonkey 22nd July 2010 12:58 PM

Sam@cultlabs told me about this the other day as i'd just finished watching the Tartan special edition, this is very cool news but i hope arrow will do a remastering as the tartan PQ was not great.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 22nd July 2010 01:26 PM

:hail: :hail: :hail: Yet ANOTHER brilliant upcoming release from Arrow. I'm getting more and more excited - any more great news like this and you'll give us all a heart attack! :faint:

BioZombie 22nd July 2010 03:11 PM

The blu ray of this will be a must for me as my DVD seems to have gone missing, probably in another dimension..... :alien:

Almar@Cult Labs 22nd July 2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 93478)
The blu ray of this will be a must for me as my DVD seems to have gone missing, probably in another dimension..... :alien:

I took it so to guarantee at least one Blu-ray sale ;)

the blob 22nd July 2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 89766)
Awwww! I'll be here waiting while my wallet breathes a sigh of relief.. :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 89769)
Don't be so foolish - we will work day and night to extract that money somehow!!! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 85027)
While I'm here, how about a BD of Battle Royale? ;)

I should've kept my mouth shut...

Playzocker 22nd July 2010 04:00 PM

Dear oracle, could you please post

"the only way to get even more money from me if you release Zombi 2 and Nightmare Concert on Blu-ray"

somewhere. Maybe your magic works this time as well :D

P-Mac 22nd July 2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 93465)
:hail: :hail: :hail: Yet ANOTHER brilliant upcoming release from Arrow. I'm getting more and more excited - any more great news like this and you'll give us all a heart attack! :faint:

Honestly, I've said this before, we'll be in the Red Light District to raise money to purchase all these Arrow goodies.

That, or petty crime :D!

the blob 22nd July 2010 06:20 PM

There'll be a spate of HMV's being held up at gunpoint across the UK..

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd July 2010 06:27 PM

I can tell that all my dvd shelves will consist of soon are white Arrow Video boxes! So many cool titles announced recently. :nod:

Pete 22nd July 2010 06:43 PM

I'm ashamed to admit it but despite owning every Shameless release (so far), I only have 7 Arrow Video releases:o

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd July 2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 93521)
I'm ashamed to admit it but despite owning every Shameless release (so far), I only have 7 Arrow Video releases:o

I still need to buy a fair few from both companies loops...

What with all the great new titles announced, I think I'm going to have to go for an all out Shameless and Arrow assault come payday, to stay ahead of teh game! :popcorn:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd July 2010 09:39 PM

Sequel was bollocks,but the original was outstanding!
A film I never tire of watching!:cool:

Need to change my signature......

CRITERION? WHO THE HELL ARE CRITERION? :lol:

mbv 22nd July 2010 09:49 PM

This is fantastic news. BR is probably my fave asian movie. Love everything about it.
Damn the Arrow shopping list is growing!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd July 2010 09:59 PM

Good thing is M,unlike Criterion titles,Arrow's are VERY reasonably priced for what is a better package!;)

Look at some of the transfers Marc Morris has put together in the past-stunning!:cool:

Is it Mr Morris who's working on all these Arrow titles btw?

JustinDrome 23rd July 2010 04:03 AM

Wow, did not see this coming! Awesome news Arrow and the Blu-ray just sweetens the deal.

Although, will this be region free?

Playzocker 23rd July 2010 12:20 PM

@ Reaper Man: Actually, I love you signature - cuz what's Criterion collection is for some, Arrow Video is for us ... seriously, when I look at the Criterion catalogue, there are a few movies I know/love, but 90% I've never heard of. Arrow on the other hand seems like my personal cinematographical home. :D

nekromantik 23rd July 2010 12:32 PM

wow!
october gonna be a killer month.
I will need to wait untill xmas for all these arrow goodies :(

Justin101 23rd July 2010 01:07 PM

I saw the regular version of this the other day in HMV and was wondering if there would be a lovely special edition - this is indeed good news and one I wouldn't mind owning twice :D

Funktion 23rd July 2010 01:34 PM

Here's hoping the BD release includes both cuts, and maybe the cool extras that were included on past releases. :)

mr. brightside 23rd July 2010 07:44 PM

Mrs Brightside is getting rather miffed with my up-to-date reports on more Arrow must-have releases.
She says will you stop it, please?

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd July 2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinDrome (Post 93608)
Wow, did not see this coming! Awesome news Arrow and the Blu-ray just sweetens the deal.

Although, will this be region free?

All the Arrow BD's so far have been region free, this should be too.

Funktion 23rd July 2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 93738)
All the Arrow BD's so far have been region free, this should be too.

Don't be too sure: most Japanese studios demand their licensed properties to be region-locked. Other labels, whose releases are whenever possible region-free, had to lock their releases of Japanese films (for example Eureka's Masters of Cinema sub-label).

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd July 2010 08:41 PM

I'm not sure. Guess we'll just need to wait until Arrow give out more info. :)

Splatterdragon73 24th July 2010 12:40 PM

I really enjoyed BR and despite already owning Tartan's old steel tin edition and subsequent double disc set, Arrow's updated SD and HD releases will be another must-buy for me.

With such an impressive array of DVD and BR titles lined up this company is draining my bank account dry! But the expenditure is worth it!

However, i'm sure only a few weeks back i saw an Arrow DVD of BR for sale in HMV with only a trailer as an extra. This copy was the same that was advertised in a previous issue of DVD And Blu-Ray World.:)

P-Mac 24th July 2010 01:51 PM

It's a great film. The Tartan 2-Disc DVD's extras apparently repeated a lot of stuff, so it would be amazing to have a nice package with lots of goodies.

the blob 24th July 2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funktion (Post 93739)
Don't be too sure: most Japanese studios demand their licensed properties to be region-locked. Other labels, whose releases are whenever possible region-free, had to lock their releases of Japanese films (for example Eureka's Masters of Cinema sub-label).

I think all the old Tartan dvd's were region free, including their weird decision for an NTSC one so hopefully they're not too strict with Battle Royale.

vipco 24th July 2010 03:06 PM

I have most of the white boxed ARROW DVD's and BD'sand a few older releases like Oasis of the Zombies etc, but I think i'll pass on BR as its not a film I enjoyed much anytime i've seen it . Sorry guy's, but the rest of the recently announced releases are on my shopping list and will definetly be added to my collection on release .

medwaygarage 26th July 2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 93837)
I think all the old Tartan dvd's were region free, including their weird decision for an NTSC one so hopefully they're not too strict with Battle Royale.

I think the Toei film company made a mistake with the contract,which Tartan exploited,released BR as an NTSC disc as well [which was MUCH better quality than the PAL release and was mainly for export].BR suffered when it was released at the cinema due to 9/11 happening around the same time,the ICA had a great festival of Kinji Fukasaku films including 'Battles Without Honor And Humanity','Graveyard Of Honor' and one of the finest anti war films ever made 'Under The Flag Of The Rising Sun',there were about 2 other people in the cinema when I watched these,which was very shocking for such classic films !
Now if Arrow could release Fukasaku's pop art crime flick 'Black Lizard' [think Diabolik and you're half way there !] that would be incredible,the only worldwide release is a bootleg,It hasn't been released in Japan [outside of rare VHS and laserdisc releases],not exactly sure why,Yukio Mishima's widow is rumoured to have a problem with it,Mishima is briefly seen as one of the Black Lizards living sculptures,the film is based on a novel by Edogawa Rampo,not Mishima,so I have no idea how Mishima's widow could block the release ? Does anyone know for sure.

Philleh 26th July 2010 10:55 AM

This is great news!

I love the film, I have both Tartan releases and would love to see a re-mastered version of the original cut – as nice as the director’s cut is; all those damn basketball scenes and the multiple endings attached to the film really hinder it!

Great choice for Arrow though. Can’t wait to see this in hi-def!

Playzocker 26th July 2010 11:27 AM

I also gotty agree with that, the basketball scenes were really ... strange and unfitting and the one scene at the end that they just repeated was annoying, but apart from those I like the changes that have been made.

medwaygarage 26th July 2010 11:32 AM

Yeah the original cut is the one,hate the other version.Shame more people aren't more familiar with his other output,BR is a great film but minor compared to some of his other films.

TarPot 26th July 2010 12:01 PM

Another blu-ray sale here. I can't wait.

Arrow are releasing great titles and I can't help myself!!!

Daemonia 26th July 2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 93519)
I can tell that all my dvd shelves will consist of soon are white Arrow Video boxes! So many cool titles announced recently. :nod:

It is getting that way, isn't it? :lol:

I'll definitely have the BD of this. I was loaned the film some years ago and always meant to pick up the DVD, but never did. So this will be going into my burgeoning Blu-ray collection. Dammit...I told myself I'd be sensible with my BD spending...but I'm too weak...I can't help myself... :D

Playzocker 26th July 2010 12:17 PM

Maybe this helps: Every time you think you spend too much on BDs, think of even bigger freaks who spend even more on BDs. :D

For example: On July 1st, my Blu-ray collection consisted of about 320 titles ... today I cracked Nr. 400 ... now THAT'S scary :D

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th July 2010 04:33 PM

Battle Royale on Blu-ray? Count me in! It is a tremendous movie and one that would look so much better in high definition any news on covers or special features?

scribbler 30th July 2010 11:34 AM

Oh. My. God :shocked:

I really should visit this forum more often, as this news has just made me wet myself. I'm an insane Battle Royale fan, owning all the releases, the novel, and even the Mangas. After Tartan went under, and Palisade bought their library, I gave up hope of ever seeing BR on Blu-ray. Especially as Palisade seemed loathed to reply to any mails concerning BR.

But the news that Arrow now have Battle Royale, could only be outdone if my Euro Millions numbers come up tonight.

Now then.... all Arrow need to do is release 'No Blade of Grass' :pray: on dvd, and I will have their babies.