Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Arrow Video - Inferno (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/3504-arrow-video-inferno.html)

Sam@Cult Labs 31st August 2010 04:06 PM

Arrow Video - Inferno

INFERNO

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...D_sleeve_1.jpg

“A MASTERPIECE…
PERHAPS THE MOST UNDERRATED
HORROR MOVIE OF THE 1980s.”

KIM NEWMAN.

Having already wowed horror fans with superlative releases of ‘Day Of The Dead’, ‘Martin’ and ‘City Of The Living Dead’ earlier this year, Arrow Video continues its commitment to presenting the ultimate, must-have editions of horror cinema’s greatest cult classics on DVD and Blu-ray with its forthcoming 30th Anniversary release of Dario Argento’s Inferno.

Never before available on DVD or Blu-ray in the UK, this 30th Anniversary Edition features a brand new, restored, uncut version of the film and comes complete with a host of unique and exclusive extras, many of which were specially commissioned for this release. Also included are four sleeve art options, a double-sided poster, an exclusive collector’s booklet written by Alan Jones (author of ‘Profondo Argento’) and six original poster art postcards.

Described by Argento as “a fairy tale designed for adults”, the second instalment of his ‘Three Mothers’ trilogy (and the follow up to his smash hit, ‘Suspiria’), Inferno “contains some of Argento's most hallucinatory images and unforgettable set-pieces” (The Onion AV Club) and was listed as one of the 50 Greatest Horror Movies Of All Time by Total Film.

The film’s surreal plot concerns a young poetess, Rose Elliot (Irene Miracle), whose research into the history of her New York apartment building and its possible connection to the legendary witches known as ‘The Three Mothers’ results in a series of bizarre murders and a supernatural mystery of horrific proportions. Disturbed by a frantic phone call from Rose, her brother Mark (Leigh McCloskey) immediately flies home to New York from his studies in Rome only to find Rose’s apartment empty and very few clues as to her whereabouts. As he investigates his sister’s disappearance, Mark unwittingly moves closer and closer to a terrifying encounter with an ancient, powerful evil.

Starring Irene Miracle (Puppetmaster; Midnight Express), Daria Nicolodi (Phenomena; Tenebre), Leigh McCloskey (Dallas) and Ania Pieroni (Tenebre; The House By The Cemetery), boasting a truly bombastic score by Keith Emerson (of Emerson, Lake And Palmer fame) and featuring some of the most unforgettable images from any of Argento’s works, Inferno is a must-see for horror fans and an essential companion piece to ‘Suspiria’.

The 30th Anniversary Edition of Inferno (cert. 18) will be released as a two-disc DVD (£15.99) and a two-disc Blu-ray/DVD combo (£22.99) by Arrow Video on 13th September 2010.

Special Features include:

• Introduction by star Daria Nicolodi
  • ‘Dario’s Inferno’ featurette
  • ‘Acting In Hot Water – An Interview With Daria Nicolodi’
  • ‘The Other Mother: Making The Black Cat’ – director Luigi Cozzi discusses his rarely seen, totally unofficial 1989 ‘sequel’ to Inferno
  • ‘X Marks The Spot – Argento Remembers Bava’ (Easter Egg)
  • Dario Argento and Lamberto Bava discuss Inferno
  • ‘Dario Argento: An Eye For Horror’ – documentary on Argento’s career narrated by Mark Kermode and including interviews with George A. Romero, John Carpenter and others
  • The Complete Dario Argento Trailer Gallery
  • Q&A with star Irene Miracle, composer Keith Emerson and author Tim Lucas filmed at LA’s New Beverly Cinema in 2009 (Blu-ray only)
  • English 5.1 Dolby Digital and Stereo and Italian Mono audio options
  • 5.1 DTS audio option (Blu-ray only)
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Four sleeve art options
  • Double sided poster
  • exclusive collector’s booklet
  • six original poster art postcards.

Splatterdragon73 1st September 2010 10:00 AM

The 13th of this month can't come quick enough!:)

Playzocker 1st September 2010 01:41 PM

sooooo awesome - can't wait!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st September 2010 06:35 PM

Beautiful.Absolutely fecking fantastic.

Wonder if all these other versions of Inferno that are being released elsewhere have packages like that.....doubt it very much!;)

At the risk of sounding repetitive......DEFINITIVE,DEFINITIVE,DEFINITIVE.

Especially all the nicer that the BBFC saw sense.:clap:

mr. brightside 7th September 2010 03:34 PM

My copy shipped earlier today:clap:

Pinhead0303 7th September 2010 10:08 PM

Mine did too, the race is on! :woot: who are you getting it from?

LoBo 8th September 2010 01:38 PM

You guys are lucky. I pre-ordered mine from Play, but they have yet to ship it out. Hmm.

Pinhead0303 8th September 2010 01:48 PM

Transit time's what matters though, most of these will be shipped from offshore so can easily take a week to arrive.

mr. brightside 8th September 2010 03:40 PM

Ordered mine from LoveFilm. Figured they would be straight out the traps.

Sam@Cult Labs 8th September 2010 04:45 PM

INFERNO review links on the CULT LABS BLOG

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th September 2010 05:26 PM

Beautiful film.Beautiful package.:nod:

EMcG 9th September 2010 11:45 AM

Screenshots here

Pinhead0303 10th September 2010 08:45 AM

Got my Blu-ray this morning, now all that's left is to watch it!

mr. brightside 10th September 2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinhead0303 (Post 101129)
Got my Blu-ray this morning, now all that's left is to watch it!

Just had time to watch opening 20 minutes before I had to go out. Looks wonderful. Now for the whole damn thing:)

Pinhead0303 10th September 2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. brightside (Post 101174)
Just had time to watch opening 20 minutes before I had to go out. Looks wonderful. Now for the whole damn thing:)

The picture's really nice, definitely. Best the film's ever looked.

mr. brightside 10th September 2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinhead0303 (Post 101180)
The picture's really nice, definitely. Best the film's ever looked.

Absolutely. Just started the extras. Hit the ball way out the park with this one.

Playzocker 10th September 2010 07:42 PM

Can't wait until Amazon finally decides to send mine out...

Argentofan 10th September 2010 08:54 PM

HMV have shipped mine! :D

Splatterdragon73 11th September 2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentofan (Post 101258)
HMV have shipped mine! :D

I got my initial Inferno BR from HMV's website yesterday and the remaining HD and DVD copies arrived this morning. Very pleased indeed!

Another typically terrific Arrow release to add to the company's growing range of mighty fine DVD and BR packages.

Well done to all involved in blessing us Inferno fans with such an essential edition.:clap:

P-Mac 13th September 2010 11:03 AM

I got mine in the post today... and I've already changed the artwork!

broonage 13th September 2010 06:34 PM

Got mine today!!

Richcrue 13th September 2010 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by broonage (Post 101740)
Got mine today!!

So did I,great package.

Attachment 6828

Entity Appliance 13th September 2010 10:03 PM

While the film certainly looks stunning, in my opinion the 5.1 HD audio track on the disc is nothing short of abysmal. It's way, way too loud, and more often than not, the sound actually ends up clipping - particulary during the fire scenes near the end. The 2.1 channel is actually an improvement. This is really disappointing, as the exact same thing happened with the ''Day Of The Dead'' BR eg. the 5.1 channel was lacklustre.

After this being the case twice now, I think Arrow should spend less time and effort on the packaging, and more time and effort on the HD sound.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th September 2010 10:39 PM

Sounded fine to me.....:nod:

Almar@Cult Labs 13th September 2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entity Appliance (Post 101791)
While the film certainly looks stunning, in my opinion the 5.1 HD audio track on the disc is nothing short of abysmal. It's way, way too loud, and more often than not, the sound actually ends up clipping - particulary during the fire scenes near the end. The 2.1 channel is actually an improvement. This is really disappointing, as the exact same thing happened with the ''Day Of The Dead'' BR eg. the 5.1 channel was lacklustre.

After this being the case twice now, I think Arrow should spend less time and effort on the packaging, and more time and effort on the HD sound.

Well this is certainly the place where Arrow come to listen to opinion so it would be interesting to hear what others think about the sound but I think Inferno has always had an overblown soundtrack and the people working on the packaging don't work on the sound and rightly so. So let's not worry about that shall we.

bgart13 14th September 2010 01:56 AM

Agreed about the audio on INFERNO. Even theatrically, I recall issues with some of the sound (a newly struck print, apparently too). But as I have no 5.1 set-up -- and I prefer original and/or mono anyways, haha -- I'll be ok with the 2.1. Looking forward to the blu-ray, as it'll be coming with DEMONS at the same time!

Entity Appliance 14th September 2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 101798)
Well this is certainly the place where Arrow come to listen to opinion so it would be interesting to hear what others think about the sound but I think Inferno has always had an overblown soundtrack and the people working on the packaging don't work on the sound and rightly so. So let's not worry about that shall we.

Well surely if I'm paying £18 for the privelage of a 5.1 HD audio master, the people at Arrow who do work on the sound could make sure that it's not blowing out my speakers and clipping all over the place no?

However, I am aware that this may not be the fault of Arrow, but a problem with the actual source material itself - the ''Suspiria'' BR released by Noveaux Pictures had similar audio problems.

broonage 14th September 2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entity Appliance (Post 101817)
Well surely if I'm paying £18 for the privelage of a 5.1 HD audio master, the people at Arrow who do work on the sound could make sure that it's not blowing out my speakers and clipping all over the place no?

However, I am aware that this may not be the fault of Arrow, but a problem with the actual source material itself - the ''Suspiria'' BR released by Noveaux Pictures had similar audio problems.

You have ears like a fox! I thought the Suspiria sound was bang on!

Entity Appliance 14th September 2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broonage (Post 101819)
You have ears like a fox! I thought the Suspiria sound was bang on!

HAHA! Beginning to wonder whether my home cinema system is just piss-poor tbh.

In saying that, the majority of discs sound top notch. It could just be a personal preference though. For me, ''Suspiria'' was too loud as it clipped in certain places, like ''Inferno''.:(

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th September 2010 10:12 AM

From watching these films on DVD and now on Blu-ray Disc, I have always assumed that Dario Argento wanted the soundtracks by Goblin and Keith Emerson to be a major part of the film and stand out by being louder than regular soundtracks. In the case of Suspiria, the Goblin soundtrack forms an important part of the narrative with the well timed cries of "witch!"

BioZombie 14th September 2010 10:24 AM

I dont have Inferno and so cant comment on the sound for this, but I have recently changed over to only listening to the original (either mono or 2.0 sereo) tracks of older flicks rather than any of the 5.1 mixes as I find the original is alway superior.

If a film was mixied in 5.1 then no problem, but it's when people go back and try and flesh out a mono or stereo track that things seem to go wrong, IMHO of course.

Sam@Cult Labs 14th September 2010 03:33 PM

As Cult Labs members will doubtless be aware, INFERNO is out now. I found a nice fan made music video that showcases Keith Emersons's loud and excessive score, find it on the CULT LABS BLOG

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...infernokt2.gif

Hammer time 14th September 2010 04:42 PM

i want to get this on blu but i have seen on amazon in a few reviews that this print is too dark in places and the colours are not as vibrant as the fox italian dvd(i have the italian dvd).True or bullshit?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th September 2010 05:52 PM

Take it from me HT,the picture is ASTOUNDING.;)

Inspector Tanzi 14th September 2010 06:09 PM

Just got back from HMV with my one. Got soaked on the way home!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th September 2010 06:22 PM

Worth getting soaked Tanz!:tongue1:

Let us know the verdict mate....;)

Inspector Tanzi 14th September 2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 101924)
Worth getting soaked Tanz!:tongue1:

Let us know the verdict mate....;)

Will do, I will probably watch it tomorrow night after the match.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th September 2010 07:34 PM

I have no absolutely no complaints about the transfer -- it's an absolutely stunning improvement on DVD with superb contrast levels and colours.

Calum 14th September 2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer time (Post 101896)
i want to get this on blu but i have seen on amazon in a few reviews that this print is too dark in places and the colours are not as vibrant as the fox italian dvd(i have the italian dvd).True or bullshit?

Not seen the Italian DVD but I think it's a load of nonsense. This is incredible as far as PQ goes - totally blew me away. The folks from Camera Obscura are also posting a lot of anti-Arrow spam around the net. Best ignored.

Hammer time 14th September 2010 08:17 PM

thnx for the answers,ill buy it friday when im in town