Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   The Beyond –The Technical Debate (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/4715-beyond-%E2%80%93-technical-debate.html)

Daemonia 14th June 2011 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGlynreaper (Post 157162)
my blu ray edition of the beyond has the monochrome opening but in my opinion it makes it a little bit better
as since the opening sequence is a flashback being black and white gives it the retro look and when the blind girl begins to speak the screen turns colour as the credits appear

Yes, but it's not the original look of the film and not what Fulci and co had in mind. Personally, I think black and white totally destroys the opening of the film, as it's meant to be sepia/golden-yellow, like a 'faded photograph', to quote the cinematographer.

But, I can appreciate that, to you, it might be preferable. But I'd rather have it as the filmmakers intended. And, as has been pointed out, the transfer as a whole is better on the corrected disc. But if you'd rather settle for an inferior transfer, that's entirely up to you. Thing is, you can get a corrected disc AND keep the one with the monochrome opening, so you're not losing out.

Vampix 15th January 2012 09:16 PM

I was wondering if another company released a Blu-ray of The Beyond and it had a slightly improved transfer to the Arrow Video one, would all the people who bought the Arrow edition re-buy the film again for this reason? How many times can you keep buying the same film on DVD/BD before saying enough is enough?

Prince_Vajda 15th January 2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 209679)
I was wondering if another company released a Blu-ray of The Beyond and it had a slightly improved transfer to the Arrow Video one, would all the people who bought the Arrow edition re-buy the film again for this reason? How many times can you keep buying the same film on DVD/BD before saying enough is enough?

Arrow's (corrected) release of The Beyond is excellent. I would never ever buy another release of this great flick on Blu-ray.

Greetings!

Daemonia 16th January 2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Enough is never enough. When a new super-duper format supercedes Blu-ray, I'll buy it again on that format. This only applies to selected titles, mind, I don't upgrade everything. But the classics from Argento, Bava, Fulci etc will always be films I will seek out in the best possible versions. I watched my DVD of The Beyond many times and will now watch the BD many times, so it's worth the cost of upgrading. If it's a film I'll only ever watch once, I'd probably rent it rather than buying it. There's been a few films I've wanted to see again on BD but without buying them, so they were rented. Others, which are perennial favourites get bought and added to the BD collection.

Prince_Vajda 16th January 2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 209696)
Enough is never enough. When a new super-duper format supercedes Blu-ray, I'll buy it again on that format. This only applies to selected titles, mind, I don't upgrade everything. But the classics from Argento, Bava, Fulci etc will always be films I will seek out in the best possible versions. I watched my DVD of The Beyond many times and will now watch the BD many times, so it's worth the cost of upgrading. If it's a film I'll only ever watch once, I'd probably rent it rather than buying it. There's been a few films I've wanted to see again on BD but without buying them, so they were rented. Others, which are perennial favourites get bought and added to the BD collection.

Same here. But another (maybe even slightly better) release on the same format (i.e. Blu-ray) - nope.

Greetings!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th January 2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

For collectors, enough is never enough. I own three copies of Psycho on BD, half a dozen copies of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (from VHS to DVD and BD) and the same with The Exorcist, only I have three videos, one laserdisc (Japanese) four DVDs and about four BDs!

With my favourite films, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new release from this (or another) country - that includes The Beyond, which I already own several times on DVD and BD.

Steel76 16th January 2012 11:08 AM

The Fulci films, I will never stop upgrading if there is a worthy A/V boost.
Been collecting them for over 20 years.

When it comes to "The Beyond" I own/owned 5 versions on VHS, 3 on Laserdisc, 4 on DVD and now this BD about to drop in :)

Zombie Flesheaters (my favorite) I´ve probably upgraded about the same amount.

If Arrow releases the movie in 4k, on what ever format that will offer "Super Hi-Vision" (as they seem to call it in the business), I´ll gladly upgrade again :D

Daemonia 16th January 2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 209706)
Same here. But another (maybe even slightly better) release on the same format (i.e. Blu-ray) - nope.

Greetings!

At this point in time, I'd agree with you. But as BD encoding improves, better transfers may come along. And then there's the matter of extras, if another BD of The Beyond comes along chock full of new extras, that might be temptation enough...

Prince_Vajda 16th January 2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 209732)
At this point in time, I'd agree with you. But as BD encoding improves, better transfers may come along. And then there's the matter of extras, if another BD of The Beyond comes along chock full of new extras, that might be temptation enough...

You're right, I almost forgot... I have/had four releases of Ronin! VHS, standard DVD, MGM Gold 2-Disc set, and Blu-ray. In some special cases I would indeed double- or even triple-dip. All previous extras of Ronin plus new interviews with the cast and a documentary about John Frankenheimer - you've got me there! ;)

Greetings!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th January 2012 08:52 PM

Enough?
What's that? :lol:

I own umpteen editions of THE BEYOND,most of Fulci,Argento,Bava,Martino,Deodato's films......