Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   The Beyond –The Technical Debate (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/4715-beyond-%E2%80%93-technical-debate.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th February 2011 08:19 PM

The Beyond –The Technical Debate

This thread is only for discussing the technical merits of the discs: the AV quality and the extra features.

ytsejam1138 20th February 2011 01:33 AM

An early review (linked in the review thread) with screenshots, shows the pre-credit sequence in B&W, in all previous releases it has been in sepia tone.

What's up with this?

Snatcher42 20th February 2011 05:30 AM

I made comparison shots from the US Grindhouse DVD for the screenshots in the Rock! Shock! Pop! review:

imgur. com/a/MLFAQ

Some quick observations:

-Huge increase in detail and clarity on Arrow's video.
-A little more picture information on the Arrow release too.
-Not sure about color and brightness. Arrow reveals details lost on the Grindhouse DVD, but might be too bright. I projected a 35mm print of The Beyond a few years ago, and seem to remember it looking more like Grindhouse. And the intro was definitely sepia!

Steel76 20th February 2011 09:49 AM

Yeah, the intro is supposed to be in SEPIA and not B/W :doh:

Better fix this before release, Arrow. But I guess it´s too late now :(

Jonny 20th February 2011 12:44 PM

Any word on why the intro has been transferred in B&W?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th February 2011 12:52 PM

Nothing that has come my way and I actually haven't seen the new release yet!

If and when I find out, I'll let you know.

Jonny 20th February 2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 129677)

If and when I find out, I'll let you know.

If? :happy:

People will require an explanation for this unique presentation. It's THE BEYOND afterall, you can't change something that's been a given for so long and expect people to roll with it.

:lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th February 2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 129678)
If? :happy:

People will require an explanation for this unique presentation. It's THE BEYOND afterall, you can't change something that's been a given for so long and expect people to roll with it.

:lol:

Just because you ask a question, doesn't mean you will receive an answer!

Steel76 20th February 2011 01:25 PM

The guys at Arrow must have seen this movie before and should know that the opening scene has ALWAYS (except the rare geman version) been in sepia.

Hoping for an answer from the guys soon.

Other than that, the release seems to have an excellent transfer judging from the rest of the screenshots.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th February 2011 01:41 PM

All I can do is ask to find out why the opening is in monochrome and not sepia.

As far as the picture quality goes, I haven't watched the film in its entirety yet, only flicked through various scenes, and it does look to be an outstanding transfer with plenty of detail, good colours and deep contrast levels.

Jonny 20th February 2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 129684)
Just because you ask a question, doesn't mean you will receive an answer!

It would only be courteous, in this instance, to deliver an answer.

Also no need to speak to me like I'm a child. I'm 41.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th February 2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 129722)
It would only be courteous, in this instance, to deliver an answer.

Also no need to speak to me like I'm a child. I'm 41.

I was planning on being courteous and the statement to which you are referring was aimed at me, thinking of the worst and that I wouldn't receive an answer!

Sorry for any offence caused.

the blob 20th February 2011 02:37 PM

I haven't cancelled my pre-order but I'll be honest, if it's B & W then it's a big disappointment and I do believe that it's something that really should be corrected. It'll be a big shame because the caps look pretty good to me otherwise. Looking around, the issue is definitely causing a big stir as I'd expect.

junyab 20th February 2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytsejam1138 (Post 129603)
An early review (linked in the review thread) with screenshots, shows the pre-credit sequence in B&W, in all previous releases it has been in sepia tone.

What's up with this?

WHA?!?!?! :mmph:

this is really disappointing :(

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th February 2011 04:57 PM

It's really strange that the sequence is in B&W. Hopefully the released version will be corrected and have the sequence in sepia. So lets all take it easy until we get some kind of official word from Arrow please.

Jonny 20th February 2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 129729)
I was planning on being courteous and the statement to which you are referring was aimed at me, thinking of the worst and that I wouldn't receive an answer!

Sorry for any offence caused.

No worries. :)

Snatcher42 20th February 2011 07:00 PM

It's easy to turn a B&W image sepia. Not so easy to turn a sepia image B&W. Maybe the review disc didn't had the final color correction pass? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

To be honest, I'm more worried about the whole film being a little too bright and washed out, loosing some of the atmosphere. Then again, the details in these shots are a revelation!

Jonny 20th February 2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snatcher42 (Post 129803)
It's easy to turn a B&W image sepia. Not so easy to turn a sepia image B&W. Maybe the review disc didn't had the final color correction pass? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It was filmed in colour* and turned sepia for the release prints. So it's likely that the sepia image was turned B&W, your 'not see easy' option, by whoever created the review discs.

*The full colour version of this sequence is available as an extra feature on the Anchor Bay US DVD

evilzombie20 20th February 2011 08:14 PM

I'm honestly perfectly content with it being in either black and white or sepia. It's really not a huge deal to me.

Not only is Arrow giving us the best presentation of the film thus far, but they're providing us with every extra they could get their hands on and then some, not to mention there is more picture information on their release compared to the US release which that alone makes it a must buy for me.

I understand preserving the film's original intended quality and overall effect, but I can't see how switching from sepia tone to black and white or going from black and white to sepia tone makes THAT huge of a difference in the overall effectiveness of the piece or of the experience of enjoying the film.

I'm sure there's a reason Arrow went this route, it's doubtful they just wanted to see what would happen if they messed with the color timing just for kicks - maybe this is how the picture looked on the master they were supplied, maybe this is how someone from the film told them they felt that this is how it should have looked like, whatever the reason may be - I highly doubt Arrow expected any kind of backlash like they appear to be receiving and I'm sure their reasons are justified.

With that said, I'm buying this day one for sure, no question. It's the only release on Blu Ray this film has - and even if it does get released here, who's to say it would have anymore extras - in most cases the US releases compared to Arrow's are missing an abundance of extras - or the prints wouldn't be identical??? This could just be how the HD master was conceived and from now on this is how the film will look. What if it's the same transfer Grindhouse was using from 1998 only upconverted to 1080p? All they did for the new HD transfer on the more recent disc was sharpen the picture a bit - they could simply do that again for the Blu Ray release; if they release it at all.

So I'm not sitting by idly waiting for someone else to release it "proper", this release looks like it's going to be more than a worthy addition to any horrorphile's collection - regardless of a potential simple color timing botch, intentional or unintentional.

junyab 20th February 2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilzombie20 (Post 129818)
I understand preserving the film's original intended quality and overall effect, but I can't see how switching from sepia tone to black and white or going from black and white to sepia tone makes THAT huge of a difference in the overall effectiveness of the piece or of the experience of enjoying the film.

If there isn't "THAT huge of a difference" then there is no point in making the switch from sepia to B&W. And therefore, the importance should be preserving the original look of the film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th February 2011 08:59 PM

Again, I'd like to reiterate that there is no use assuming anything, or drawing any conclusions on the finished product until we get the official word from Arrow about this.

evilzombie20 20th February 2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junyab (Post 129833)
If there isn't "THAT huge of a difference" then there is no point in making the switch from sepia to B&W. And therefore, the importance should be preserving the original look of the film.

And who is to say that this may not be the original intended look of the film? What if in the beginning there was a mistake in making it sepia tone and it was always originally intended to be in black and white???

Everyone was all up in arms about the contrast boost on SUSPIRIA when it was released on Blu Ray - until the director of photography came forward and said that was his doing. The original Anchor Bay disc was mastered without the participation of anyone involved in the film - the HD master that was put together in Italy involved the creators of the film. Hence the difference.

So what's to say that's not the case here??? What if Arrow IS preserving the original intended look of the film??? We don't know the real answer, but changing it makes absolutely no sense. Arrow has proven more than a few times that they are fans of the genre and know the films they are releasing, and the audiences they release them too, so for them to change something like this without a valid reason would make zero sense.

bgart13 20th February 2011 09:11 PM

EDIT: Nevermind.

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th February 2011 09:12 PM

Exactly Evilzombie. Which is why people shouldn't jump in and blame Arrow for messing up The Beyond without waiting to hear from them about the scene in question.

Stephen@Cult Labs 20th February 2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 129841)
Um, thought I had posted in this thread -- did it get deleted? Would've been after post #16, I think.

I don't believe anyone's deleted anything bgart.

bgart13 20th February 2011 09:22 PM

Yeah, I figured it all out.

Snatcher42 20th February 2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 129813)
It was filmed in colour* and turned sepia for the release prints. So it's likely that the sepia image was turned B&W, your 'not see easy' option, by whoever created the review discs.

I was thinking maybe the B&W is an intermediate stage between the original color film and sepia. Like they had to desaturate it first? Sorry, I know it's just speculation! Though again, the 35mm print I personally acquired and projected was sepia, dunno if that means anything. For me it's not a deal breaker, though the overall presentation of the film might be. But of course it's too early to say.

Zombie Dude 20th February 2011 10:13 PM

I'll be interested to hear what Arrow's official word is about this.

junyab 20th February 2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilzombie20 (Post 129837)
And who is to say that this may not be the original intended look of the film?

Every release, including DVD, VHS, and 35mm version, of the film I have ever seen had the sepia tone. I'm not saying it is Fulci's preference, but if there is no proof for the otherwise, there is no reason it should be changed. That is the point I was making.

And if indeed it was Fulci's vision to have it B&W I would have thought Arrow would be proud enough to make it known that their release follows that vision before it gets public.

evilzombie20 20th February 2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junyab (Post 129875)
Every release, including DVD, VHS, and 35mm version, of the film I have ever seen had the sepia tone. I'm not saying it is Fulci's preference, but if there is no proof for the otherwise, there is no reason it should be changed. That is the point I was making.

And if indeed it was Fulci's vision to have it B&W I would have thought Arrow would be proud enough to make it known that their release follows that vision before it gets public.

Right but what I'm saying is, what if the sepia tone in the beginning was a technical error and at the time, it wasn't cost effective to change it to black and white? You have to remember, this was a low budget feature and if there was a mistake made - the producers or whoever was in charge, may not have sought it fit to fix it due to money costs. Who knows right???

But going back to the SUSPIRIA fiasco - the director of photography supervised the HD master that has come out on Blu Ray in Italy and in the UK - he did not do so here (in the US) or for other transfers as well. Thus leaving us with two distinctly different versions of the film and of course the Anchor Bay presentation being more pleasing to the eye - was not the correct mastering of the film. And of course since everyone is used to that version or uses it as a comparison piece - the other transfer looks botched, but that is the way the film is intended to look.

As everyone has already said, let's see what Arrow has to say - it doesn't make a lick of sense for them to make this change with out a valid reason.

junyab 21st February 2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilzombie20 (Post 129877)
Right but what I'm saying is, what if the sepia tone in the beginning was a technical error and at the time, it wasn't cost effective to change it to black and white? You have to remember, this was a low budget feature and if there was a mistake made - the producers or whoever was in charge, may not have sought it fit to fix it due to money costs. Who knows right???

Well, it's now been confirmed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex K. (Post 872508)
Sergio Salvati -the DP- said the Sepia was intentional. I have the quote from him in my The Beyond comic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex K. (Post 872512)
It's in the back of the comic book adaption of The Beyond that was put out by Blackest Heart around 2000 or so.

evilzombie20 21st February 2011 01:27 AM

Well, now we have a confirmation from the DP - now all we need to do is hear from Arrow on the reasoning behind the change.

junyab 21st February 2011 05:38 AM

Plot thickens! A hard read, but it looks as though there were many different avenues tested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike T at avmaniacs [url
http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47492&p=872550&viewfull=1#post872 550[/url]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...iinterview.jpg

junyab 21st February 2011 05:39 AM

oopsy

tollickd 21st February 2011 06:14 AM

If the B&W was how it was always supposed to be then I would say the Arrow Release will be the ultimate release of this classic

junyab 21st February 2011 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike T. at avmaniacs www .avmaniacs. com/forums/showthread.php?t=47492&p=872559&viewfull=1#post872 559
Another triumph was the stylised opening lynch-mob sequence set in 1927, a combination of Lentini’s masterful period costumes and sets, Di Rossi’s painfully realistic makeup special effects, and Salvati’s striking cinematography. “Initially the prologue was to have been shot in black and white to simplify the whole operation,” recalls Salvati. “But then I opted for the soft yellow, almost golden filter which blended in with the torches and flashes of light and was reflected in the clothes worn by the inquisitors and the burnt lime on Schweik’s face. What I was trying to recreate was the effect of an old, yellowed photograph, something outside of time, putting a gap between the present day story and the prologue as if they were two separate films, divided by an infinite arc of time, a long bridge, like the one that Liza takes to meet Emily. I discarded the usual sepia – the colour of memories – since there are no relationships between the characters based on memory. Instead, THE BEYOND is a horror that lies outside time and space”.

So what he had done wasn't actually "sepia" like we are calling it, but it is definitely supposed to be the "yellowish" color that is on all the recent releases.

bigandya 21st February 2011 07:47 AM

Its obviously a mistake on screening copies. There's no way a company as prestigious as Arrow would release such an abomination on the public after all their fantastic releases this past year or so. The Beyond has always had a sepia tone pre credits sequence, simple as, as everyone who has seen the film since its original cinematic release knows. The only exception to this is of course the version with the full colour pre credits sequence - but this was only ever on the German language version (except for one DVD version, where an English language translation was provided as an extra).

Of course this will be released the way it was originally intended. I have total confidence in this, and am very excited about the Blu Ray release.

parallax1 21st February 2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilzombie20 (Post 129837)
And who is to say that this may not be the original intended look of the film? What if in the beginning there was a mistake in making it sepia tone and it was always originally intended to be in black and white???

So what's to say that's not the case here??? What if Arrow IS preserving the original intended look of the film??? We don't know the real answer, but changing it makes absolutely no sense.

Although the truth of the matter is already known I have to ask evilzombie if he is aware of the GrindHouse release of this film? If so, does he also know that the people behind that release (theatrical and home video) included Quentin Tarantino? The Beyond is one of his faves. Do you think that if it were supposed to be B&W that he wouldn't have known? Don't you think GrindHouse would have taken the time to correct this? That release took YEARS to come out. They made sure it was the best presentation at the time. Get off your knees please.

bigandya 21st February 2011 07:53 AM

I can't believe what I've just read.

The Beyond was never, ever intended to have a black and white pre credits sequence.

There are enough sources out there to support this. Its a technical error. One I have every confidence Arrow will correct before its released.

Jonny 21st February 2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigandya (Post 129921)
I can't believe what I've just read.

The Beyond was never, ever intended to have a black and white pre credits sequence.

There are enough sources out there to support this. Its a technical error. One I have every confidence Arrow will correct before its released.

Yep, I found it mind boggling too. Why do people find it so difficult to accept Arrow made a mistake on this rather than dreaming up crackpot theories to justify it.