Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Beyond Re-Animator – The Film Debate (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/4789-beyond-re-animator-%E2%80%93-film-debate.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 09:31 AM

Beyond Re-Animator – The Film Debate

This is the place to chat about the third part in Brian Yuzna's horror-comedy series about the ambitious and slightly deranged Dr Herbert West.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 05:35 PM

I thought Beyond Re-Animator was pretty entertaining. Not as good as the first or second films and Bruce Abbot was sorely missed as West's partner in crime, Dan Cain, but you can't fault the great Jeffery Combs. Now, where's the bloody fourth film!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 06:15 PM

Yeah any sort of sequel was gonna fall short of the classic original,but yes Combs is always a good watch.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 130862)
Yeah any sort of sequel was gonna fall short of the classic original,but yes Combs is always a good watch.

I really need to re-watch these three films as, as far as I can remember, I think I preferred Beyond Re-Animator to Bride of Re-Animator.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 07:00 PM

Yeah,I've only ever watched BRIDE the once.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 130901)
Yeah,I've only ever watched BRIDE the once.

I've seen it three or four times (and two different versions) because I have reviewed it several years ago. I remember the picture quality being awful, really murky and with dreadful definition.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 07:20 PM

The first Tartan release was cut I believe,wasn't it?

Beyond Re-Animator will be worth revisiting.

Set in a nuthouse wasn't it?

re.form 24th February 2011 07:47 PM

The third film is the weakest but its a very strong franchise, so thats not a criticism. It's really good fun, some of the special effects are exceptional.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 130920)
The first Tartan release was cut I believe,wasn't it?

Beyond Re-Animator will be worth revisiting.

Set in a nuthouse wasn't it?

I can't remember -- it's either an insane asylum or a maximum security prison.

Actually, I've just remembered that it is set in a prison where Herbert West has been serving a sentence for his previous crimes and is working as an assistant in the infirmary where (I think) he is covertly carrying out his experiments by gaining access to the morgue.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 07:52 PM

Yeah, it's set in a prison with West incarcerated there after the events of Bride. And Elsa Patakay is hotttttttttttt! :tongue1:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 130955)
Yeah, it's set in a prison with West incarcerated there after the events of Bride. And Elsa Patakay is hotttttttttttt! :tongue1:

Oh yeah, she really is something special although I still like Barbara Crampton in the first one.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 130959)
Oh yeah, she really is something special although I still like Barbara Crampton in the first one.

I can't argue there! :D

Zombie Dude 24th February 2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 130909)
I've seen it three or four times (and two different versions) because I have reviewed it several years ago. I remember the picture quality being awful, really murky and with dreadful definition.

I think this calls for an Arrow treatment release then ;)

antmumford 24th February 2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Dude (Post 131010)
I think this calls for an Arrow treatment release then ;)

Hell yeah, the first two really deserve the Arrow Video treatment. Would love to see what Rick could do for the covers

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th February 2011 10:40 PM

Even though the third is the weakest in the franchise, it's still enjoyable.

I have the uncut German EMS DVD, but will definitely be picking up the swanky Arrow box set; if not only to see Arachnid and Romasanta for the first time!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 131019)
Hell yeah, the first two really deserve the Arrow Video treatment. Would love to see what Rick could do for the covers

Also Arrow do sterling work, I doubt they could improve on the two Re-Animator DVD releases that are out there, the R1 Elite Entertainment Millennium Edition or the equally good R2 Starz Double Disc Collector's Edition.

As far as the sequels go, both could be improved upon, especially Bride of Re-Animator which has really been given a shoddy transfer on a fairly vanilla disc.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 131021)

I have the uncut German EMS DVD, but will definitely be picking up the swanky Arrow box set; if not only to see Arachnid and Romasanta for the first time!

Same here, and I haven't seen Faust: Love of the Damned either!

plasterface 26th February 2011 07:56 AM

beyond

i love beyond re-animator but then again i am a re-animator fanatic, as a straight to dvd sequel it's very entertaining, a bride of re-animator special edition would be welcome as the tartan version had very little in way of extras and the original opening should be included. now if only someone would give from beyond the dvd treatment.:eyebrows:

Stephen@Cult Labs 26th February 2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 131302)
now if only someone would give from beyond the dvd treatment.:eyebrows:

If you don't want to wait, you could always import the R1 MGM special edition of From Beyond.

plasterface 26th February 2011 12:01 PM

beyond

yeah tempted to but i have turned into a bit of a region 2/0 snob . i can kick it oldschool style and watch it on video lol. is beyond re-animator available seperatley in this edition or just part of the fantastic factory boxset?:confused:

nekromantik 26th February 2011 12:13 PM

I love re-animator got the R1 syringe SE :)

Dont remember the sequels much though, need to rewatch them.

Zombie Dude 26th February 2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 131356)
yeah tempted to but i have turned into a bit of a region 2/0 snob . i can kick it oldschool style and watch it on video lol. is beyond re-animator available seperatley in this edition or just part of the fantastic factory boxset?:confused:

Yea it is. It's metioned here.

Stephen@Cult Labs 26th February 2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Dude (Post 131361)
Yea it is. It's metioned here.

I could be wrong, but I don't see it say anything about it being available separately.

Any idea Nos?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th February 2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 131390)
I could be wrong, but I don't see it say anything about it being available separately.

Any idea Nos?

Beyond Re-Animator is going to be released separately on April 25 with an RRP of £15.99.

Stephen@Cult Labs 26th February 2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 131396)
Beyond Re-Animator is going to be released separately on April 25 with an RRP of £15.99.

Looks like I was indeed wrong. :)

plasterface 9th March 2011 08:15 PM

re-animator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 131396)

cheers everyone for the info think i'll just get the seperate version when it comes out as aint big fan of the other films in set.:rockon:

dream demon 4th April 2011 05:12 PM

I caught Beyond Re-Animator on Zone Horror a few years ago, and really enjoyed it :pop2: . To be honest up until then I had not even heard of it! I'm really looking forward to picking up this box set, not only to re-watch this one but also to see the others as I have not seen any of them. I've never actually seen Bride of Re-Animator and have been meaning to get it for some time.

wayfarer 12th April 2011 08:57 AM

Reanimator was so well made that I never thought of it as low budget, back when it was first released. I can take or leave the sequels, but I'm looking forward to seeing Beyond again, as a mate lost my copy of it.

plasterface 26th April 2011 06:27 PM

beyond

well i bought this on monday, cool Yuzna interview, sad news no re-animator 4 on horizon but was intruiged by lost opportunity of re-animator vs phantasm, ah America you get evil dead the musical and re-animator the musical and we get the most terrorfying of all legally blonde :loco:

Ken 26th April 2011 07:30 PM

I Bought the box set yesterday and also bagged Re-animator for £5. Its years since i seen them, so now i can watch them back to back.