Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Trilogy of the Dead (ArrowDrome) - Official Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/6593-trilogy-dead-arrowdrome-official-thread.html)

Sarah@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 10:49 AM

Trilogy of the Dead (ArrowDrome) - Official Thread

George A. Romero’s Trilogy of the Dead (ArrowDrome)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...Exploded3D.jpg

The original gut-munching Zombie classics!

The dead will walk and the living will be eaten - alive and screaming - in George Romero’s original trilogy of ground-breaking, genre defining, zombie cinema.

In Night of the Living Dead, the outbreak begins as Romero mixes previously unseen levels of gore with a stark social message. Dawn of the Dead turns its camera on the audience when consumers are recast as shambling, brain-dead corpses with a taste for human meat. Then the sun rises over the undead apocalypse and the last survivors turn on each other for a frenzy of splatter in Day of the Dead.

See the films that absolutely defined modern horror, paving the way for the hard-gore of today. Get your zombie escape plan together, it’s going to be messy...

ARROWDROME IS A FLEAPIT SELECTED LIBRARY OF CULT FILMS; VIOLENT, HORRIFIC, SLEAZY, EXPLOITATIVE. TO EXPLORE STEP IN TO THE CULT ARENA! EVERY ARROWDROME RELEASE INCLUDES A REVERSIBLE SLEEVE OF ORIGINAL ARTWORK AND A COLLECTOR’S BOOKLET!

ALSO INCLUDES 2 AUDIO COMMENTARIES WITH GEORGE ROMERO, TOM SAVINI AND MORE, JOE OF THE DEAD AND TRAVELOGUE FEATURETTES + COLLECTOR’S BOOKLET!

96 / 127 / 97 mins approx
Region 0 PAL
Available 03/10/11
RRP £29.99

nekromantik 1st September 2011 11:10 AM

wow awesome release!!
but most of us already own the arrow blus or dvds of the latter 2 parts so will Arrowdome release night on its own?

antmumford 1st September 2011 11:16 AM

Awesome looking set but what we really need is Arrow to release Night on BD so that we can keep a nice uniformed look on the shelf alongside Dawn and Day please :pray:

Sec 1st September 2011 11:16 AM

Very cool; I see the "Also available on Blu-ray" sticker. Does that mean the trilogy are available in a set on Blu or just individual releases?

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 11:18 AM

Does this mean Night is going to hit BD, as advertised on the sticker.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 11:22 AM

As far as I know there isn't an HD master to which Arrow have access, so the stake refers to the Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead releases. In terms of a Blu-ray release of Night of the Living Dead, fingers crossed!

By the time this is released I hope to have several ArrowDrome boxes on a shelf and, even though I have several versions of all three instalments in the trilogy, will buy this for the new artwork, (hopefully) new booklet[s] and to have them all together in a nice looking set.

antmumford 1st September 2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 178023)
nice looking sad.

Huh?? :laugh:

Sarah@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 178014)
wow awesome release!!
but most of us already own the arrow blus or dvds of the latter 2 parts so will Arrowdome release night on its own?

At the moment there's no plans for this that I'm aware of.

The BD sticker refers to just Dawn and Day on Arrow Video BD. There were no new materials available for Night unfortunately.

Demoncrat 1st September 2011 11:32 AM

ach well, i need another NOTLD as it is....

nekromantik 1st September 2011 11:35 AM

thats a shame :(
would have thought as its a public property movie, it would not cost too much to get a HD master for it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 178026)
Huh?? :laugh:

That should have been "nice looking set", which has now been appropriately edited!

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 11:46 AM

Shame that Arrow aren't releasing Night on BD. A real missed opportunity. It's clear from past discussions that it's what we all want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 178049)
Shame that Arrow aren't releasing Night on BD. A real missed opportunity. It's clear from past discussions that it's what we all want.

It is a shame but, as has been seen, it's one thing securing the rights and quite another to release it with an encoding with which everyone is happy. I hope it's something which Arrow Video don't forget or completely dismiss as a lost cause and start investigating in earnest.

darthelvis 1st September 2011 11:57 AM

A nice Blu Ray of Night of the Living Dead would be a top seller, the other releases out there have nothing in terms of extras and it's crying out for a special edition!

nekromantik 1st September 2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 178052)
It is a shame but, as has been seen, it's one thing securing the rights and quite another to release it with an encoding with which everyone is happy. I hope it's something which Arrow Video don't forget or completely dismiss as a lost cause and start investigating in earnest.

as its in the public domain Arrow dont need rights to release it.
there are already 2 lackluster BDs of this out in the UK.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 178071)
as its in the public domain Arrow dont need rights to release it.
there are already 2 lackluster BDs of this out in the UK.

The film may be, but the extras will be owned by various third parties. It could be quite costly for Arrow to pay for rights to all the extras, and create a true 'definitive' release.

Still, I'd love for them release NOTLD on BD.

nekromantik 1st September 2011 12:18 PM

arrow could create their own extras or release bare bones blu as a budget arrowdome blu

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 178075)
arrow could create their own extras or release bare bones blu as a budget arrowdome blu

As ArrowDrome is a DVD only range, it would have to be released by Arrow Video and I imagine High Rising Productions would be able to make an hour or so of new extra features. It would be even better if the bonus features from the Elite Entertainment Millennium Edition DVD could be bought and added to any Blu-ray release from Arrow.

nekromantik 1st September 2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 178076)
As ArrowDrome is a DVD only range, it would have to be released by Arrow Video and I imagine High Rising Productions would be able to make an hour or so of new extra features. It would be even better if the bonus features from the Elite Entertainment Millennium Edition DVD could be bought and added to any Blu-ray release from Arrow.

yeah that sounds good but even a barebones arrow video blu would been good as we can get the Optininum blu for cheap now for the extras while a non cropped HD transfer of the movie from Arrow :)

Roughale 1st September 2011 12:32 PM

What a nice looking set! I am a sick Romero Zombie Collector, must be related to my early watching of Dawn at a cinema when I was 14 :pound: But whatever, before I jump on this, I need to find out one thing: Trilogy of the Dead so far had always included a slightly cut version of Dawn (I think even Savini and/or Romero commented on this in the audio commentary) - is this still the case? If so, is there a way to just grab the packaging somewhere? I mean, I have tons of these three films, including a very expensive purchase back in the days, namely the NL VHS of Day for a little under 100 Reichs... sorry Deutsch Marks :laugh:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 12:34 PM

I'll put that query to Arrow and see what they say.

BAKA 1st September 2011 12:39 PM

Baffling. A box set of the trilogy makes perfect sense. But not putting out Night solo is bewildering and pretty dismissive of people who happily gave their cash over to Arrow for Dawn and Day. Surely it would make more business sense to release Night solo first, as that will energise sales of the existing Dawn and Day releases, and then go on to release the box set? I know plenty of people like double dipping here, but I don't think Arrow should be pushing that over offering people the alternative to purchase seperately, especially as two were already sold seperately. I'm more than sure a couple of people will be over the moon though, but to me personally, it's bewildering business practice, and it's probably going to make me extremely cautious of picking up future releases which are part of a series / franchise, etc.

And no Blu, is again disappointing. Hopefully sales of the boxset will encourage Arrow to revists this possibility later down the line.

Got really excited when I saw the topic title on the main forum :(

Roughale 1st September 2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 178083)

Thanks for the quick response! May I add an ironic "I hate you all for the great new design"? I hope you understand that, I am not a normal German when it comes to humour :loco:

nekromantik 1st September 2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 178083)

thanks
lets hope for a good result

platostotal 1st September 2011 01:07 PM

I'll hold off on this until we hear from members on how they rate the Night transfer(we really,REALLY need a good print of this...DVD or Blu, either fine by me. NIGHT and DAY(no pun intended) would be good, but when I dip for DAWN will go for the Blu. But if NIGHT turns out to be a cracker I'll hold off on that Blu and plonk for this.

Sobral 1st September 2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 178086)
Baffling. A box set of the trilogy makes perfect sense. But not putting out Night solo is bewildering and pretty dismissive of people who happily gave their cash over to Arrow for Dawn and Day. Surely it would make more business sense to release Night solo first, as that will energise sales of the existing Dawn and Day releases, and then go on to release the box set? I know plenty of people like double dipping here, but I don't think Arrow should be pushing that over offering people the alternative to purchase seperately, especially as two were already sold seperately. I'm more than sure a couple of people will be over the moon though, but to me personally, it's bewildering business practice, and it's probably going to make me extremely cautious of picking up future releases which are part of a series / franchise, etc.

I feel exactly the same, having bought the Arrow Video Dawn & Day releases I'm not really interested in this set, but I'd certainly buy an Arrowdrome Night DVD, at least.

Vampix 1st September 2011 01:51 PM

Looks like a nice introductory set for viewers who are new to Romero's zombie classics.If I was just getting into old school horror flicks this ArrowDrome set would be great, Dawn & Day fully uncut and I presume Night will be too, you can't go wrong. :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 178104)
Looks like a nice introductory set for viewers who are new to Romero's zombie classics.If I was just getting into old school horror flicks this ArrowDrome set would be great, Dawn & Day fully uncut and I presume Night will be too, you can't go wrong. :)

Very true, this set isn't really for posters on this forum. Surely only a tiny minority of members on here don't already own all three films.

This set is for the general public who are casually browsing the shelves on a Saturday afternoon, and Nosferatu who buys everything.;)

Slippery Jack 1st September 2011 04:21 PM

Yup, I ain't buying any more copies of damn Romero zombie films! Can't you release Knightriders, I haven't seen that one :nod: . . . !

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 178120)
This set is for the general public who are casually browsing the shelves on a Saturday afternoon, and Nosferatu who buys everything.;)

Sadly, that's not too far from the truth. Depending on how my ArrowDrome collection looks at the time of release may determine whether I buy this set or not. It's not often I can exist good artwork and new extra features (hoping there are some in this release).

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 04:49 PM

I do like the artwork on this one though.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 05:16 PM

Yeah pity it ain't BD in a decent aspect ratio eh?

dream demon 1st September 2011 05:31 PM

To be honest the main thing that puts me off is that these appear to be skinny cases, and I really don't like those as I think they look quite cheap. I will wait until I have one in hand, though, in case they do a really nice job on the outer box. Personally I would have preferred this to have been more like the Battle Royale set, y'know, with the films in their own little digis and an extra little folder for the booklets etc. ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 05:33 PM

Any pics of the reverse covers Sarah? :)

Rik 1st September 2011 05:39 PM

Do I really need another DVD of the Trilogy? No

Will I buy this regardless? Yes, probably

Do I wish Arrow Video would put out NOTLD as a tremendous whitebox edition with brand spanking new artwork, extras, poster and postcards? Your damn right I do

Will I sell the x amount of other versions of these films I already own? Don't be daft

Do I have chips or a jacket potato with my tea tonight? Hmmm....

The boat can leave now, tell the crew

Mojo 1st September 2011 05:50 PM

An ultimate Arrow BD of Night Of The Living Dead would be a dream. Maybe someone should start a poll to let Arrow see just exactly how much interest there would be.

Rik 1st September 2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 178154)
An ultimate Arrow BD of Night Of The Living Dead would be a dream. Maybe someone should start a poll to let Arrow see just exactly how much interest there would be.

Ditto

The boat can leave now, tell the crew

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 178152)
Do I really need another DVD of the Trilogy? No

Will I buy this regardless? Yes, probably

Do I wish Arrow Video would put out NOTLD as a tremendous whitebox edition with brand spanking new artwork, extras, poster and postcards? Your damn right I do

Will I sell the x amount of other versions of these films I already own? Don't be daft

That sums up my position on this release exactly -- apart from the bit about jacket potato or chips, that is!

kingofwitches666 1st September 2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 178152)

Chips! :clap:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st September 2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 178154)

I've just done exactly that:

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/why-...g-dead-bd.html