Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Frankenhooker - Specs Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/6858-frankenhooker-specs-thread.html)

re.form 1st October 2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 186298)
Uhm... you do realise that it's a (whisper it) 'chick' who edits, films and produces all the extras we do for these discs? We met through a mutual love of these movies.

Then again, I know, and have always known, plenty of girls who love horror.

Apologies.

I guess the smiley emoticon thingy and then putting "Seriously, though..." after what I wrote didn't make my ironic and jokey tone clear enough.

I was actually trying to defend the tagline that your company has chosen to use. Because it isn't actually sexist. I'm fully aware that females enjoy horror movies. I'm also often in the company of women -- who I've heard use the word 'slut' to describe members of their own sex.

Sometimes, this place amazes me. I'm defending the word 'slut' to which you have chosen to use to sell this movie, yet getting snarky remarks for using the word 'chick' in a jokey manner.

Yes. I'm fully aware that a woman (is that better?) puts together the extra's. Because I buy most of Arrow's output.

re.form 2nd October 2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 186274)
I do understand that this is an old tagline. I dunno, I guess I'd kind of like to see horror and exploitation get the respect it deserves from outside horror fan circles and promotion like this doesn't really help the cause.

And yes, 'chicks' do dig horror. My missus does at any rate, Cannibal Holocaust is her favourite film. I just think that by creating a 'man only' aura it drives away the female audience, which is a bad thing in my book. I realise these films are exploitation, so the taglines are, I suppose, appropriate. But it would be nice to see these films advertised in more of a way to grab new viewers rather than drive them away. And, for my money, the female point of view on these films is often far more interesting than what the males have to say.

Anyway, I'll pick this up regardless, as I'm a fan of Henenlotter.

This makes no sense to me. Should the film be marketed in a different way, thus lying to intended viewers who would then be 'disgusted' when they actually watch the movie and it's content? Why don't we change the title while were at it? At least they have a choice just by looking at the cover. If they dont like it, they will roll their eyes and jog on.

Were getting way too deep here,. This is a B-movie shlock horror film. Being politically correct when dealing with these movies only makes things false, fake and downright silly.

Daemonia 2nd October 2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 186406)
Were getting way too deep here,. This is a B-movie shlock horror film. Being politically correct when dealing with these movies only makes things false, fake and downright silly.

Right, stop right there. I didn't aim anything at you personally and there was certainly no hostility involved whatsoever. My point, in a vague kind of way, is that I'm a bit sick of the way horror fans are portrayed. I'm probably not being very articulate, but I don't want to be perceived as some sad geek just because I enjoy trashy films. And yes, I do admit that they're trashy for the most part, with obvious exceptions. People have this idea that horror fans are goths who listen to hard rock/metal all day and are a just a little bit weird. I'd like to get away from that kind of stereotypical image, that's all I'm really trying to say. And I did say that it was just a very minor quibble, certainly nothing I'd lose sleep over. I also admitted that Arrow obviously know what they're doing when marketing these films, so I hold my hands up and say I'm probably off the mark here. But as someone who lived through the video nasties scare, I remember how horror fans were branded as sick and disgusting by the press and TV broadcasters for enjoying this 'filth'. Horror fans were treated as enemies of the state, just ask anyone who was raided and had their films confiscated. Don't forget, these films were once illagal to trade in and if caught doing so you could be imprisoned.

Calum 2nd October 2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 186403)
Apologies.

I guess the smiley emoticon thingy and then putting "Seriously, though..." after what I wrote didn't make my ironic and jokey tone clear enough.

I was actually trying to defend the tagline that your company has chosen to use. Because it isn't actually sexist. I'm fully aware that females enjoy horror movies. I'm also often in the company of women -- who I've heard use the word 'slut' to describe members of their own sex.

Sometimes, this place amazes me. I'm defending the word 'slut' to which you have chosen to use to sell this movie, yet getting snarky remarks for using the word 'chick' in a jokey manner.

Yes. I'm fully aware that a woman (is that better?) puts together the extra's. Because I buy most of Arrow's output.

Heh - no worries!! I always find when I go the cinema these days to see a new horror movie most of the audience is young girls. That was certainly the case when I saw Apollo 18 quite recently!

Playzocker 2nd October 2011 08:21 AM

I love it how the woman on the cover does a Sylvester Stallone impression :D

BTW: Awesome announcement!

plasterface 2nd October 2011 06:38 PM

aaaaaaaaaargh

possibly the only title so far that makes me want a blu ray player

re.form 2nd October 2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 186409)
Right, stop right there. I didn't aim anything at you personally and there was certainly no hostility involved whatsoever. My point, in a vague kind of way, is that I'm a bit sick of the way horror fans are portrayed. I'm probably not being very articulate, but I don't want to be perceived as some sad geek just because I enjoy trashy films. And yes, I do admit that they're trashy for the most part, with obvious exceptions. People have this idea that horror fans are goths who listen to hard rock/metal all day and are a just a little bit weird. I'd like to get away from that kind of stereotypical image, that's all I'm really trying to say. And I did say that it was just a very minor quibble, certainly nothing I'd lose sleep over. I also admitted that Arrow obviously know what they're doing when marketing these films, so I hold my hands up and say I'm probably off the mark here. But as someone who lived through the video nasties scare, I remember how horror fans were branded as sick and disgusting by the press and TV broadcasters for enjoying this 'filth'. Horror fans were treated as enemies of the state, just ask anyone who was raided and had their films confiscated. Don't forget, these films were once illagal to trade in and if caught doing so you could be imprisoned.

I'm gonna apologies to both you and Calum if my posts came across in a 'arsey' manner. The written word, especially in an internet forum can often lack the politeness that was intended.

I totally see where you are coming from, and we are actually on the same side, just looking at a large topic from different angles.

plasterface 2nd October 2011 09:12 PM

tagline

i dont want to be snarky but i am confused why the tagline sluts and bolts would upset any one buying the film, i mean its called frankenhooker its hardly a subtle title. And these days thats quite tame title with the likes of big tits zombie on the shelves.then again i once got some seedy comments from a guy in cash convertors for buying house of whipcord. No offence meant just not sure why tagline caused offence.:confused:

Daemonia 3rd October 2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 186654)
I'm gonna apologies to both you and Calum if my posts came across in a 'arsey' manner. The written word, especially in an internet forum can often lack the politeness that was intended.

I totally see where you are coming from, and we are actually on the same side, just looking at a large topic from different angles.

Hey, no worries, man. I just didn't want you getting the impression that I was being unfriendly towards you. Of course we're all on the same side, we're all lovers of classy movies.... *ahem*

:lol:

Daemonia 3rd October 2011 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 186666)
i dont want to be snarky but i am confused why the tagline sluts and bolts would upset any one buying the film, i mean its called frankenhooker its hardly a subtle title. And these days thats quite tame title with the likes of big tits zombie on the shelves.then again i once got some seedy comments from a guy in cash convertors for buying house of whipcord. No offence meant just not sure why tagline caused offence.:confused:

I think I've already explained myself - I wasn't offended by the tagline, I was just saying....well....read my posts in the thread and you'll see where I'm coming from.

Me? Offended? Now that would take some doing. :lol: