Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   What's the best of Romero's original zombie trilogy? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/6892-whats-best-romeros-original-zombie-trilogy.html)

darthelvis 4th October 2011 12:57 PM

Dawn is my favourite, followed by Night and then Day.

James Morton 4th October 2011 01:08 PM

What's the best of Romero's original zombie trilogy?

definitely DAWN OF THE DEAD
some years ago DOTD was a film I was longing to see uncut
still like NOTLD and DOTD of course but DAWN is the best imo

Wes 4th October 2011 01:51 PM

I think one of Romero's best moments on film is the sequence in Dawn Of The Dead where Roger is becoming a zombie - just the way it's intercut between the scientist on the TV becoming increasingly irate ("We are down to the line folks, we are down to the line!"), Peter getting ready to take the shot, and Fran's line "It's really all over isn't it" - it's just a brilliant piece of cutting...

Beyond72 4th October 2011 02:11 PM

DAWN

Always has and always will be my favourite.
The mall location and rich characters suck me in unlike any other movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 187165)
I think one of Romero's best moments on film is the sequence in Dawn Of The Dead where Roger is becoming a zombie - just the way it's intercut between the scientist on the TV becoming increasingly irate ("We are down to the line folks, we are down to the line!"), Peter getting ready to take the shot, and Fran's line "It's really all over isn't it" - it's just a brilliant piece of cutting...

I love the shot on the balcony after they've cleared the mall and they realize there's soon gonna be one more zombie to deal with - it all gets too much for Fran.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 187118)
I'll add (And don't kill me) that DOTD is hugely overrated.

I feel the same about DAY. Yea the SFX are memorable, but if Romero's intent was to make a film where you hate everyone then it's a remarkable film. I don't even like Bub!

Wes 4th October 2011 02:38 PM

The guy's Oirish accent is a bit painful to my ears, but there's a great magical moment in Day of the Dead when Bub has music pumped into his headphones, and then the mood darkens when he points the gun at Rhodes - great moment... R Lee Ermey could have been great in the role of Rhodes as well - just imagine "You want me to salute that pile of walking pus? Salute my ass"

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 4th October 2011 05:53 PM

What kind of evil, sick minded person would ever make you choose one over the rest? Next, you will have us choose family members.;) But, if I had to pick just one it would be DAY. It hit me at just the right time in my life and has the darkest outlook of them all, surprisingly though it has the most positive ending of them all.... Wait, I choose DAWN. No, I choose NIGHT, without it we wouldn't have the others... I can't choose.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th October 2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 187118)
I'll add (And don't kill me) that DOTD is hugely overrated.

I agree. I actually prefer both Night and Day over Dawn.

Mojo 4th October 2011 06:40 PM

Night Of The Living Dead by a mile. The creepy atmosphere in that film still gets under my skin.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th October 2011 06:55 PM

Day of The Dead - all the way.

The sheer grimness suggests a world totally overrun by the undead. The opening scenes in the city pretty much sum up the first two films in just a few minutes, then the bulk of the film takes us one step nearer complete hell as the last surviving humans squabble and resent each other almost as much as the zombie hordes outside.

This makes the first two films feel like a stroll in the countryside or a trip to the shopping mall in comparison.

pedromonkey 4th October 2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 187095)
Night, because it pretty much changed my life.

Dawn is my favourite though.

I (kind of) explained my love for NOTLD here ----> Mav's Horror Ramble: Night of the Living Dead

Dawn changed mine, the first proper horror film i ever saw, these day's it doesn't pack the same punch but its a bleeding marvellous film still.