Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   What's the best of Romero's original zombie trilogy? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/6892-whats-best-romeros-original-zombie-trilogy.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 4th October 2011 10:08 AM

What's the best of Romero's original zombie trilogy?

So this week, Arrowdrome have released the brilliant DVD box set containing Night Of The Living Dead, Dawn Of The Dead and Day Of The Dead. But if you had to pick one, only one, that you liked the most, which one would it be?

Wes 4th October 2011 10:24 AM

It's Dawn of the Dead... and I sometimes resent that film for relegating Night of the Living Dead to second or third status - I think NOTLD is one of the great masterworks of American Cinema - for me it's up there with Grapes of Wrath and Citizen Kane - everytime I see it I'm astonished by what Romero accomplished on a shoestring bugdet, the various subtexts hidden underneath the surface and the sheer balls for a regional film maker to cast a Black man as the hero... Amazing film.

Gojirosan 4th October 2011 10:30 AM

Night Of The Living Dead. One of the best American films ever and the ultimate zombie scenario - much imitated subsequently - an a horror film that reset the agenda of horror films as surely as Psycho did 8 years before.. Its power and sense of panic and confusion remain. As wonderful as the other two are (and they are both excellent films not far behind Night Of The Living Dead) it is the first that is burnt into my mind and that appears in my all-time top 15/ 20 or so.

Prince_Vajda 4th October 2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 187080)
Night Of The Living Dead. One of the best American films ever and the ultimate zombie scenario - much imitated subsequently - an a horror film that reset the agenda of horror films as surely as Psycho did 8 years before.. Its power and sense of panic and confusion remain. As wonderful as the other two are (and they are both excellent films not far behind Night Of The Living Dead) it is the first that is burnt into my mind and that appears in my all-time top 15/ 20 or so.

I originally wanted to write something by myself - but you did the job for me! :nod: :welcome:

Greetings!

PS: The only thing that I could add is that, in my opinion, Day is a pretty mediocre and overrated movie (although it has very strong moments!).

Demoncrat 4th October 2011 11:08 AM

has to be Dawn (the argento print ;);)) dont get me wrong i have the much love for NOTLD....btw i take it that the print of Night isnt as cut as the Optimum one i have....

Baseball Fury 4th October 2011 11:09 AM

Night, because it pretty much changed my life.

Dawn is my favourite though.

I (kind of) explained my love for NOTLD here ----> Mav's Horror Ramble: Night of the Living Dead

Pete 4th October 2011 11:51 AM

DAY OF THE DEAD - one of the best American horror films ever.

Pete 4th October 2011 11:53 AM

I'll add (And don't kill me) that DOTD is hugely overrated.

Wes 4th October 2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 187095)
Night, because it pretty much changed my life.

Dawn is my favourite though.

I (kind of) explained my love for NOTLD here ----> Mav's Horror Ramble: Night of the Living Dead

Fantastic stuff Mav...great post. The only thing worse than seeing a BBFC-cut DOTD was the colorized NOTLD, which was my first encounter with the film. Later on I got the Tartan b/w tape and it was a revelation...

Baseball Fury 4th October 2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 187125)
Fantastic stuff Mav...great post. The only thing worse than seeing a BBFC-cut DOTD was the colorized NOTLD, which was my first encounter with the film. Later on I got the Tartan b/w tape and it was a revelation...

Cheers man, the first version of NOTLD I owned was this one -

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...CL._SS500_.jpg

and it was awful! Everybody had yellow skin and it was all a bit weird. The Tartan VHS was also my first legit copy, replacing the well worn version I'd taped of Channel 4, and then taped again using my parents VCR to cut out all the adverts whilst they were at work!