Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Who Dares Wins - Archive Conversation (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/7463-who-dares-wins-archive-conversation.html)

Sarah@Cult Labs 23rd December 2011 11:36 AM

Who Dares Wins - Archive Conversation

Who Dares Wins (Arrow Video)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...sBDFront2D.jpg

THE 60 SECOND WAR BEGINS NOW!

Paranoia, black ops and espionage combine in Who Dares Wins, a violent and edgy anti-terror classic starring Lewis Collins (The Professionals) and Edward Woodward (The Equalizer).

The anti-nuclear movement is plotting a bloody outrage on British soil and, having already fatally lost their undercover operative at a violent protest, the secret services call on the aid of the SAS. Captain Peter Skellen (Collins) risks his career, his family and his life to infiltrate the terrorist group before they can unleash an attack that will devastate the country.

Relive a classic cold war thrill ride which remains relevant to this day... Who Dares Wins, a violent lesson in how to deal with the enemy within.

THIS EDITION CONTAINS
- Reversible sleeve with 3 original poster artworks and newly commissioned artwork cover
- Double-sided fold-out artwork poster
- Collector’s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Ali Catterall, author of British Cult Movies Since the Sixties

BLU-RAY CONTAINS:
- High Definition Presentation of the film
- Audio commentary with producer Euan Lloyd and director Ian Sharp
- The Making of Who Dares Wins, featuring Euan Lloyd, Ian Sharp, Lewis Collins, Judy Davis and more!
- The Last of the Gentleman Producers: A Documentary on the life of the legendary producer Euan Lloyd, featuring Sir Roger Moore, Ingrid Pitt, Kenneth Griffith and more!
- Two Original Trailers
- Plus more special features to be announced!

Starring Lewis Collins, Judy Davis, Edward Woodward, Richard Widmark
Directed by Ian Sharp
Produced by Euan Lloyd

Original Art by Graham Humphreys

1.77:1 Aspect Ratio
Uncompressed PCM Mono Audio
Optional English SDH subtitles
Feature and extras 1080/24p Region B

RRP £24.99
Blu-ray Released 02/07/12

dream demon 23rd December 2011 12:53 PM

You have just made my Christmas, Sarah! :woot: I absolutely adore this film and it is so amazing that it is getting the white box treatment. I can't wait to get my hands on those special features and the cover art is just superb. :clap:

Needless to say, this will be a day one purchase for me. :pop2:

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd December 2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 205443)
You have just made my Christmas, Sarah! :woot: I absolutely adore this film and it is so amazing that it is getting the white box treatment. I can't wait to get my hands on those special features and the cover art is just superb. :clap:

Needless to say, this will be a day one purchase for me. :pop2:

A day one purchase for me too (and Reaper too me thinks!). I already own the Arrow Films blu, but the prospect of original theatrical artwork (which I begged and pleaded for on the original release), is the icing on a tasty SAS cake!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th December 2011 06:58 AM

You're right Stephen-you're right!

Glad Arrow have seen the potential in this one and ditched that last hideous artwork used previously!

As Stephen said,with this and THE WILD GEESE 2012 is looking brighter already!:clap:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th December 2011 07:03 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 205449)
A day one purchase for me too (and Reaper too me thinks!). I already own the Arrow Films blu, but the prospect of original theatrical artwork (which I begged and pleaded for on the original release), is the icing on a tasty SAS cake!

Ditto!

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th December 2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 205596)
Ditto!

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c020e52-8a69-0eb3.jpg

Now we're talking!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th December 2011 07:18 AM

'Come on man.MOVE YER ARSE!' :cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th December 2011 07:21 AM

Gonna have to watch these today Stephen.
Curb the hunger a bit.....

Now how about McLaglen and Lloyd's THE SEA WOLVES?:D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th December 2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 205601)

Obviously with some Englo-lingo replacing the German....

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th December 2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 205604)

The Sea Wolves would be a good 'un. Hell, I'd even take North Sea Hijack :lol: Just so I could get this artwork!

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c020e52-8c9c-56d7.jpg

Anyhoo, Who Dares Wins.....Lewis Bloody Collins dares AND wins! That's who! :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th December 2011 07:33 AM

BOXSET BOXSET BOXSET! :lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th December 2011 07:48 AM

Remember this? Done by one of our members.

http://img.tapatalk.com/5c020e52-91cb-caa3.jpg

Pete 25th December 2011 03:20 PM

Had the old Arrow BD and I have to say the transfer was terrible.

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th December 2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 205800)
Had the old Arrow BD and I have to say the transfer was terrible.

You know what Dalton says in ROAD HOUSE......"opinions vary". I thought the transfer was pretty decent.

Paul@TheOverlook 25th December 2011 11:43 PM

Me too. I bought Pete's disc! :D

I thought it looked fine for an older film, no complaints from me.

Love Roadhouse!

James Morton 26th December 2011 05:34 PM

Who Dares Wins - Official Announcement

to me WDW is just an ok film
seen it on tv and its a time filler
i thoght it was corny a lot of the time and of course not true to the facts about the SAS
Lewis Collins once said there were real SAS members in the audience at a screening of the film and they were laughing
THE WILD GEESE is a far superior action film, brilliant

gag 26th December 2011 05:39 PM

I remember going pics to watch this and we got so relaxed and into it at one scene the phone rang and my friend jumped up and said Ill answer it ...We burst out laughing it took him a sec to realise where he was..:lol:

oaxaca 27th December 2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 205604)

THE SEAWOLVES is the ultimate action movie :cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th December 2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 205929)
to me WDW is just an ok film
seen it on tv and its a time filler
i thoght it was corny a lot of the time and of course not true to the facts about the SAS
Lewis Collins once said there were real SAS members in the audience at a screening of the film and they were laughing
THE WILD GEESE is a far superior action film, brilliant

Mindless entertainment.That's what it's all about.

No doubt if the real secrets of the SAS were shown on a big screen,then they wouldn't be so special anymore.....

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th December 2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 205601)

That's a brilliant piece of artwork which, even with the German text, would be great as one of the alternate panels.

I also thought the HD picture on the original Arrow Films BD was very good and, if it's the same encoding for this release, would be more than happy for it to be replicated.

James Morton 27th December 2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 205973)
Mindless entertainment.That's what it's all about.

No doubt if the real secrets of the SAS were shown on a big screen,then they wouldn't be so special anymore.....

of course not!
i agree but even Collins criticised the film as just junk
a lot of people like this film then great
i'm not a fan though

SShaw 30th December 2011 08:24 PM

Looking forward to this. Now if we could just convince Arrow to release North Sea Hijack as well then my Blu collection would be complete!

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th December 2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 206645)
Looking forward to this. Now if we could just convince Arrow to release North Sea Hijack as well then my Blu collection would be complete!

A man with some taste!

gotthefeelin 3rd January 2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 205610)
Remember this? Done by one of our members.

That would be me! I did cheat a little however. The artwork is reworking of the artwork on the Thai poster which is even more OTT! Rare as rocking horse poo too, and I've only ever seen 3 come up for sale in 10 years, and I own 2 of them. :love:

I found the posters for the film were pretty bad in all other countries. The UK Quad is a mess. The US campaign was damn right awful! Called "The Final Option" over there, most likely as a B picture.

I've also got a very cool Wild Geese Thai poster, and one from Japan. Although they are all variations on the same artwork used worldwide.

The North Sea Hijack poster is awesome. I've got the UK Quad of that. Beautifully done. Another great Roger Moore one is the UK Quad for the film Gold, with artwork by Brian Bysouth.

I've got The Wild Geese on German Blu-Ray, was waiting for it to come out here. I hope the transfer will be much better!

Liking the artwork on the new Who Dares Wins Blu-Ray. Who did it? Surprised it sells that well to re-issue it so soon though!

Legend 4th January 2012 10:39 AM

Great news, I've been meaning to see Who Dares Wins. I've never actually heard of The Wild Geese, but sometimes I like to see a film without knowing anything, you know? After all, it's a war film so what could possibly go wrong. Really nice to see more blu announcements.

Frankenhooker is pre-ordered, and I'll get Who Dares Wins, The Wild Geese, Demons, Demons 2 and Red Scorpion as they're released. I generally place a few pre-orders on payday, and then let them come through over the month. Come to think of it, I must be getting Four Flies On Grey Velvet and Drive soon, too.

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th January 2012 10:43 AM

The new artwork for Who Dares Wins was done by the great Graeme Humphreys.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th January 2012 10:51 AM

We've had word from Arrow HQ to let you all know Arrow are using the same source as the German BD but, as this release will use a different master and a different encode, there will be subtle differences.

The main difference between the two will be the opening title sequence as this will have the restored English opening rather than the German opening title sequence.

Arrow are putting a great deal of time and effort into this release and, to use their words, "ours will look stunning".

gotthefeelin 4th January 2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 207383)
We've had word from Arrow HQ to let you all know Arrow are using the same source as the German BD but, as this release will use a different master and a different encode, there will be subtle differences.

The main difference between the two will be the opening title sequence as this will have the restored English opening rather than the German opening title sequence.

Arrow are putting a great deal of time and effort into this release and, to use their words, "ours will look stunning".

I'm guessing you're talking about The Wild Geese? Just watching it now, the german Blu Ray is actually a very nice transfer, apart from the titles and the sound. It's very tinny and shrill. When things get loud, you end up hearing pops and clicks. It's horrible! The DVD I got free form the Daily Mail sounds better.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th January 2012 01:30 PM

Yeah, that is about The Wild Geese and should be in that thread instead!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2012 05:47 PM

Any decisions about the rest of the Who Dares Wins art panels yet?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2012 05:48 PM

Also,it'd be amazing to get Lewis Collins thoughts on the film now.:nod:

Being sixty five now,he's elgible to travel on buses and trains rather than helicopters!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2012 05:58 PM

Roy Budd.
He the man or what?

03. Who Dares Wins Theme (Who Dares Wins/The Final Option Soundtrack - Roy Budd - YouTube

Who Dares Wins (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2012 06:01 PM

British cheese at it's finest! :woot:

09. Hijack Part One (Who Dares Wins/The Final Option Soundtrack - Roy Budd - YouTube

THE FINAL OPTION trailer (1) - YouTube

Come on,how can you not like it?;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2012 06:05 PM

And here's the real life episode which inspired the finale.

BBC NEWS SAS iranian Embassy Siege 80s op nimrod - YouTube

James Morton 5th January 2012 06:17 PM

Who Dares Wins - Official Announcement

as i do photography, just before the film was at the cinemas, there was a lot of publicity photos in my camera mags
esp. of Lewis Collins in serious pose

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2012 06:20 PM

Yeah,was he not up for 007 at one point?

James Morton 5th January 2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 207678)
Yeah,was he not up for 007 at one point?

i think there was a bit of gossip at the time, but he was very much an outsider
like David Warbeck years before

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2012 06:26 PM

I wonder what he's up to now....

Hopefully at Arrow towers speaking into a microphone!;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2012 06:28 PM

According to this,he did audition,but was deemed 'too aggressive!'

Time for a Tarantino-style resurrection Mr Collins!

Lewis Collins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

James Morton 5th January 2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 207682)
I wonder what he's up to now....

Hopefully at Arrow towers speaking into a microphone!;)

just read Collins lives in LA w/family and runs a computer business!