Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Arrow Video - Unlimited (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/7752-arrow-video-unlimited.html)

Sarah@Cult Labs 24th January 2012 02:06 PM

Arrow Video - Unlimited

ARROW VIDEO – UNLIMITED

Arrow Video is pleased to announce a new model of Blu-rays. Soon Unlimited Editions of Arrow Video Blu-rays will be released in new versions; featuring the same artwork and disc contents, these new editions will sport 2 of the previous 4 artwork panels and will be packaged inside an amaray case without the windowed slipbox and poster. These Unlimited Editions will be released after the initial print run of the Edition collector’s know and love, which will now attain Limited Edition status as stocks become capped.

The first of the Arrow Video Unlimited Editions will be Caligula, which like all Arrow Video Unlimited Editions will have a much lower RRP of £19.99, and will be released on 20/02/12.

Future Unlimited Editions will be scheduled to appear shortly before Limited Editions sell out so there is not a gap in availability of any release.

Synopsis:

A Roman orgy of sex, violence and depravity!

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...3D_pack_s1.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...3D_pack_s2.jpg

In the dying days of Empire, Ancient Rome falls under the rule of Caligula, the most evil and perverse emperor ever to wield power over men. Director and softcore legend Tinto Brass and Penthouse publisher Bob Guccione team up to craft the most expensive, excessive erotic production ever filmed
Emperor Caligula is an incestuous, psychopathic despot, hell bent on bloodshed and sodomy in this orgiastic fever dream that plays like a Fellini movie with money shots.

Watch with ever increasing shock and awe as Caligula, the twisted dictator brings an empire, and the women of Rome, to their knees, in an explosion of lust, lesbianism, torture and bloodshed.

THIS EDITION CONTAINS:
- Reversible sleeve featuring new artwork and alternate original poster artwork
- Collector’s booklet featuring a rare interview with Malcolm McDowell
- Uncut Version in glorious and explicit High Definition
- Optional DTS HD Master Audio and 2.0 Stereo
DISC 1 – BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Deleted and Alternate Scenes
- Theatrical Trailers
- North American Bonus Footage
- Behind the Scenes
DISC 2 – DVD CONTAINS:
- Making of Caligula Documentary and Featurette
- My Roman Holiday with John Steiner
- Caligula Pet: A Conversation with Lori Wagner
- Tinto Brass: The Orgy of Power
- Caligula Stills Galleries
- DVD-ROM Content

Product Information:
Release Date: 20/02/12
Discs: 2 (1 Blu-ray, 1 DVD)
Region: ABC/0
Language: English
Running Time: 156 mins
RRP £19.99
Catalogue Number: FCD612
Barcode: 5027035007793

sawyer6 24th January 2012 04:12 PM

That made me worried so I ordered the current edition. And now I'm a maniac!

Gojirosan 24th January 2012 04:24 PM

Looks nice without all the faff!

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th January 2012 04:58 PM

So the 4 panel versions will go out of print as stock is depleted. Could we possibly see new titles just released in these unlimited versions with no 4 panel variant before hand, and an ArrowDrome dvd version? Sorry if this sounds a bit negative, just a little worried that this could happen. When Arrow posted on facebook yesterday about some interesting news, I thought it might be a bit more jaw dropping.

Prince_Vajda 24th January 2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 211364)
So the 4 panel versions will go out of print as stock is depleted. Could we possibly see new titles just released in these unlimited versions with no 4 panel variant before hand, and an ArrowDrome dvd version? Sorry if this sounds a bit negative, just a little worried that this could happen. When Arrow posted on facebook yesterday about some interesting news, I thought it might be a bit more jaw dropping.

Same here.

I'm really disappointed, as I fear that Arrow are well on the way to a future as one plain DVD/Blu-ray label amongst others.

Arrow Video Blu-rays ought to have a double-sided poster, a white slipcase, a booklet, and four different artwork panels. Period. :coolblue:

Greetings!

Hawkmonger 24th January 2012 05:18 PM

DO. NOT. WANT!
Sorry Arrow but if you commit to this you may lose many possible fans, as you will lose your unique flavor that makes your releases so much more enjoyable than most other Blu-ray releases.

Hammer time 24th January 2012 06:01 PM

you can see the point if its just 2nd pressings,the people who want all the extra's like slipcases(i throw them away) and four art options will all ready have bought the disk on release or soon after.Others wont care

Rassilon 24th January 2012 06:01 PM

Not sure I understand. What is an aramay case. Can't see the pic, don't know if that's my comps fault. If the case is still white I can live without 4 cover options. But it needs to sit right next to the old editions. Please post an example.

Pete 24th January 2012 06:03 PM

Good, not a fan of slipcases.

Prince_Vajda 24th January 2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Chad (Post 211395)
Not sure I understand. What is an aramay case. Can't see the pic, don't know if that's my comps fault. If the case is still white I can live without 4 cover options. But it needs to sit right next to the old editions. Please post an example.

I think there's something wrong with the pictures, don't worry.

The film comes in a regular Amaray case:

http://home.amaray.com/images/cases_rt-bluray.jpg

And instead of 4 artworks, you'll only get two - with the Blu-ray specs on the back and a reversible sleeve like the DVD of The House By The Cemetery.

Hope this makes sense.

Greetings!

Gojirosan 24th January 2012 06:15 PM

Yeah, slipcases and other paper clutter is a terrible waste of resources.

I'm all for this kind of release. Simple, does the job. Keep the booklets, but get rid of the posters and cards and all that nonsense and keep prices down. Offer them for sale through the website if people really want them rather than just push paper out into the world.

Prince_Vajda 24th January 2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 211398)
Yeah, slipcases and other paper clutter is a terrible waste of resources.

I'm all for this kind of release. Simple, does the job. Keep the booklets, but get rid of the posters and cards and all that nonsense and keep prices down. Offer them for sale through the website if people really want them rather than just push paper out into the world.

Frankly, Miss Pussy, I don't give a damn about resources. This planet belongs to us, not to (possible) future generations. :coolblue:

Yes. Do so, and Arrow will fall into oblivion!

Just my two cents.

Greetings!

Hawkmonger 24th January 2012 06:26 PM

As a zoologist, I can whole heartedly agree with saving recourses. But in this case, I'm afraid Arrow just won't be as good for me should they go ahead with this consept.

dallywhitty 24th January 2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 211325)
These Unlimited Editions will be released after the initial print run of the Edition collector’s know and love, which will now attain Limited Edition status as stocks become capped.

I think this is a terrible idea. I understand wanting to provide a cheaper alternative for those not interested in the fancy slipcases and four-panel artwork (which is what ArrowDrome is essentially for), but to shift those who are interested in the default Arrow Video packaging we're familiar with seems a poor choice. As an unemployed college student, it's not often I can buy an Arrow Video release the minute of its release. Once the initial print has run out, what am I to do then? The prices will shoot up and I will be dissuaded from purchasing. It's a shame, because I was hoping to collect as many of these films as possible. Replacing a superior product with an inferior one makes no sense to me and I think this will alienate existing fans.

Hawkmonger 24th January 2012 06:29 PM

Consider me Alienated.:mmph:

Rassilon 24th January 2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 211397)
I think there's something wrong with the pictures, don't worry.

The film comes in a regular Amaray case:

http://home.amaray.com/images/cases_rt-bluray.jpg

And instead of 4 artworks, you'll only get two - with the Blu-ray specs on the back and a reversible sleeve like the DVD of The House By The Cemetery.

Hope this makes sense.

Greetings!

Ah so a normal BD case is called a Amaray case. Ok I understand. So they will be similair to arrow dvd cases. Suppose it must be costly. Doesn't bother me too much. Hope the text on the sides of the BD doesn't change too.

Gojirosan 24th January 2012 06:39 PM

Why would Arrow fall into oblivion? Surely most punters by disks for the films, not for fancy free gifts?

I often wonder if people on here care more about packaging and design more than they care about the actual films.

Hawkmonger 24th January 2012 06:44 PM

No, of cause not. It's just that all the unique extra's are what set Arrow apart from other companys and losing even some of these features could have an effect on there states as distributers.

Gojirosan 24th January 2012 06:48 PM

Arrow Video have to sell these things to people other than just "cult film fans". If ditching some bits of cardboard means they can drop the cost into more idle browsers' price range, then the better for them and the better for us.

I don't see anyone moaning because Blue underground don't have this stuff in their packages, they keep buying the disks anyway. And you know full well you will keep buying the Arrow releases if the films were what you want but the packaging was more like Blue Underground.

Good idea, Arrow, and good luck.

Prince_Vajda 24th January 2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 211413)
No, of cause not. It's just that all the unique extra's are what set Arrow apart from other companys and losing even some of these features could have an effect on there states as distributers.

Exactly. :nod:

Greetings!

Rassilon 24th January 2012 06:59 PM

I buy them for the films. They do look nice. Inferno, COTLD etc on my shelf. But I wouldn't pay for a film I dislike (silent night deadly night or deadly outlaw rekkas). I only buy what is good. The packaging is awesome though.

I still hope demons gets some fancy treatment.

PaulD 24th January 2012 07:10 PM

I'm not sure I understand the reaction to this - the 4 panel artwork editions will still be released first so there's every chance to pick them up. Since the release of Arrowdrome Arrow still release dvd-only Arrow Video releases (The Deadly Spawn, Deadly Blessing) so there's no reason to assume they'll stop releaseing the 4-panel editions

Prince_Vajda 24th January 2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 211421)
I'm not sure I understanf the reaction to this - the 4 panel artwork editions will still be released first so there's every chance to pick them up. Since the release of Arrowdrome Arrow still release dvd-only Arrow Video releases (The Deadly Spawn, Deadly Blessing) so there's no reason to assume they'll stop releaseing the 4-panel editions

The traditional releases will be limited from now on. So you have to buy them when they're released, or you risk being stuck with the vanilla edition later on. That's the whole problem.

Greetings!

dallywhitty 24th January 2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 211421)
I'm not sure I understand the reaction to this - the 4 panel artwork editions will still be released first so there's every chance to pick them up. Since the release of Arrowdrome Arrow still release dvd-only Arrow Video releases (The Deadly Spawn, Deadly Blessing) so there's no reason to assume they'll stop releaseing the 4-panel editions

The existing releases will be replaced by the Unlimited Editions once they have sold out:

Quote:

These Unlimited Editions will be released after the initial print run of the Edition collector’s know and love, which will now attain Limited Edition status as stocks become capped.

Future Unlimited Editions will be scheduled to appear shortly before Limited Editions sell out so there is not a gap in availability of any release.

I don't mind the Unlimited Editions co-existing alongside the originals, but I hate the idea that they'll be replacing them.

PaulD 24th January 2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 211422)
The traditional releases will be limited from now on. So you have to buy them when they're released, or you risk being stuck with the vanilla edition later on. That's the whole problem.

Greetings!

I wonder how limited?

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th January 2012 07:19 PM

Please Arrow, use a new piece of artwork for these releases (like the Arrowdrome collection). :clap:

I want to see the sparks fly on here. :lol:

Prince_Vajda 24th January 2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 211425)
I wonder how limited?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallywhitty (Post 211424)
The existing releases will be replaced by the Unlimited Editions once they have sold out:

I don't mind the Unlimited Editions co-existing alongside the originals, but I hate the idea that they'll be replacing them.

Greetings!

Pete 24th January 2012 07:20 PM

The Arrowdrome covers are much better than the Arrow Vid ones.

Prince_Vajda 24th January 2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 211426)
Please Arrow, use a new piece of artwork for these releases (like the Arrowdrome collection). :clap:

I want to see the sparks fly on here. :lol:

That's exactly what they're doing... :tsk: :doh: :crazy:

Look here for a (very small) pic of Caligula's new release:

Arrow Films & Video | Facebook

:fear:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 211428)
The Arrowdrome covers are much better than the Arrow Vid ones.

Tastes differ. :coolblue:

Greetings!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th January 2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 211422)

Greetings!

I wouldn't call 2 paneled artwork and all the same extras vanilla! :lol:

Even with 2 panels instead of four and losing some of the internal paper goodies, you're still getting a premium package: how many other companies can even compete with that?

Take a look at what you get from most other distributors: the film and some flimsy photo-shopped art put together in ten minutes by some bored graphic design graduate.

I think it's a slight case of people (and don't think I'm targeting this at you, Prince! :)) taking what they've been accustomed to for granted.

I am sad to see the four paneled slip-covered editions take on a limited life, but Arrow have to make money, and I'm betting the added costs for windowed slipcovers, quad art sleeves, posters, lobbycards, booklets etc. don't leave them with a lot of selling margin to play with and therefore invest in new films, extras, better quality control etc.

Prince_Vajda 24th January 2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 211437)
I think it's a slight case of people (and don't think I'm targeting this at you, Prince! :)) taking what they've been accustomed to for granted.

Yes, I definitely expect Arrow to be different, and to be more exclusive than other companies - that's why I buy their DVDs and Blu-rays. :coolblue:

Greetings!

antmumford 24th January 2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 211437)
I wouldn't call 2 paneled artwork and all the same extras vanilla! :lol:

Even with 2 panels instead of four and losing some of the internal paper goodies, you're still getting a premium package: how many other companies can even compete with that?

Take a look at what you get from most other distributors: the film and some flimsy photo-shopped art put together in ten minutes by some bored graphic design graduate.

I am sad to see the four paneled slip-covered editions take on a limited life, but Arrow have to make money, and I'm betting the added costs for windowed slipcovers, quad art sleeves, posters, lobbycards, booklets etc. don't leave them with a lot of selling margin to play with and therefore invest in new films, extras, better quality control etc.

This is exactly what I was just about to write, the money saved on constant reprints of boxes could be spent on new HD masters for more titles to release. As I'm a collector and a Sucker for packaging making the boxed Blu-rays limited makes me want them even more.
At the end of the day the majority of us on this site would have preordered or would buy soon after release anyway and it's not like there won't be enough of the limited edition to go round all of us. Will there?

Seems a bit excessive to be making a mountain out of a molehill already when we don't even know the amount of stock the limited versions will have.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th January 2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 211441)
Yes, I definitely expect Arrow to be different, and to be more exclusive than other companies - that's why I buy their DVDs and Blu-rays. :coolblue:

Greetings!

They still are though, the loss of a slipcover and two artwork panels does not change that. Plus, as a die-hard Arrow fan, I'm sure you'll be picking up the limited release anyway (just like I will be). For you and me and many other fans nothing will change, this is more to cut costs in the casual buyers market.

Joseph A. Bloggs Esq. is more likely to pick-up an Arrow title in HMV if it is sitting pretty at £10-£12 than £15+.

To use a current analogy, it's the same as Eureka issuing limited steelbooks. Don't see people complaining about that. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th January 2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 211448)
Joseph A. Bloggs Esq. is more likely to pick-up an Arrow title in HMV if it is sitting pretty at £10-£12 than £15+.

Like Hmv will sell Arrow BD's for anything but £20+ :pound: ;)

fuzzymctiger 24th January 2012 10:53 PM

do not want

The only reason i started getting arrow titles is because of the slipcase, poster and other goodies. For extras wise, my old copies still do me fine.

I really don't mind the limited idea as long it's not too limited, as i can't always grab one as soon as it comes out.

For now, the only Arrow titles i have are the Slipcase editions, except for Midnight, which i won. I will be buying Deadly Spawn when it comes out, as it looks like a good movie, and has lots of extras.

Legend 24th January 2012 11:20 PM

More often than not I pre-order Arrow titles, but I do not like the idea that if I should choose not to buy something right away, or if I simply can't, that I wont be able to purchase a slip version.

I hope this wont be happening for Arrow Films Classics collection because I rarely buy those on release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 211448)
To use a current analogy, it's the same as Eureka issuing limited steelbooks. Don't see people complaining about that. ;)

That isn't the same at all. The Eureka Steelbooks are optional and ADDITIONAL alternatives, while the slipcase has always been a staple of the Arrow collection. What Eureka did was add, what Arrow are doing is removing.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend (Post 211485)
That isn't the same at all. The Eureka Steelbooks are optional and ADDITIONAL alternatives, while the slipcase has always been a staple of the Arrow collection. What Eureka did was add, what Arrow are doing is removing.

Agreed, but the purchasing analogy still stands: either buy the steelbook/limited edition on release (or there abouts) or risk not being able to, and having to buy the standard release. Yes, Eureka offer the alternative at the same time, but the main issue I see here is people worried that they might miss out on the initial 'limited' release.

Look at the Battle Royale BD: that was released in December 2010 and widely advertised as being limited (and numbered); which I doubt these releases will be. Add to that, the fact that it is widely regarded as a more 'popular' film, yet it is still available for sale over a year later.

Plus, we haven't yet been privy to how limited these releases will be. I'm sure Sarah will let us know more details once she has them available.

Rassilon 25th January 2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

ARROW VIDEO – UNLIMITED

The first of the Arrow Video Unlimited Editions will be Caligula, which like all Arrow Video Unlimited Editions will have a much lower RRP of £19.99, and will be released on 20/02/12.

Barcode: 5027035007793

I'm sorry but 'much lower price of 19.19 is still pricy. What were they before the change in packaging. I can't afford these prices until they drop in price on amazon. For 19.99 it should be buy one get one free.

Almar@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 09:30 AM

Hello everyone - apologies for my absence on here for a while - I'm still reading and the mods are the heroes that keep everything going. I'm on here less because in the past few months the industry has literally fallen off a cliff - media outlets are going out of business, journos being laid off and on the film industry side some staggering cost cutting for survival and that folks is where we're at (and it's keeping me busy, working on the calculator or lying awake at night wondering...)

Whatever our opinions (and mine is that surely there is always a market for great cult releases otherwise why would I have helped invent Shameless and Arrow?) the truth of the matter is that sales simply don't bear it out and we can theorise on that until the cows come home but the economics of lavish editions of cult films really aren't working as well as any of us would like.

Most other labels don't bother anymore with this market - it's really hard and the economic realities make it now nearly impossible to justify so a careful approach and different editions for different pockets can potentially keep this market viable.

So folks from my perspective inside the industry and what I see happening around me we're lucky to have the option to buy lavish editions at all and I think the key through here will be to try and communicate as well as possible how you can get them and how many there will be so you don't miss out.

PaulD 25th January 2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Chad (Post 211525)
I'm sorry but 'much lower price of 19.19 is still pricy. What were they before the change in packaging. I can't afford these prices until they drop in price on amazon. For 19.99 it should be buy one get one free.

Especially since. according to it's initial release thread it had the same RRP. Inflation I guess...