Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Arrow Archives (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=574)
-   -   Black Sunday - Specs Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-archives/9909-black-sunday-specs-thread.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 6th November 2012 10:14 AM

Black Sunday - Specs Thread

Black Sunday (Arrow Video) Dual Format Edition

STARE INTO THESE EYES... discover deep within them the unspeakable terrifying secret of BLACK SUNDAY... it will paralyze you with fright!

Legendary Scream Queen Barbara Steele (Shivers, Caged Heat) stars in this classic slice of gothic terror from the father of fantastic Italian cinema Mario Bava (Lisa & the Devil).

A beautiful witch is sentenced to death for her evil deeds by her own brother, condemned to die by having a metal mask hammered onto her face before being burnt at the stake. As she passes, she puts a terrible curse on all her future descendants as the spikes of the death mask pierce her flesh... But when two unwitting travellers discover her final resting place and worse, drip blood on her resting corpse, they unleash her once again in all her stunningly beautiful, terrifying glory....

Banned in the UK on its release, Black Sunday is a groundbreaking film that opened the door for Spaghetti horror in all its gory glory.

Special Features:

- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of two versions of the film; ‘The Mask of Satan’ – the European version with score by Roberto Nicolosi & ‘Black Sunday’ – the re-edited and re-dubbed AIP version with Les Baxter score, on home video for the first time
- Three audio versions: Optional Italian, European English and AIP English re-dub and re-score
- English SDH subtitles for both English versions and a new English subtitle translation of the Italian audio
- Audio Commentary with Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
- Introduction to the film by author and critic Alan Jones
- Interview with star and horror icon Barbara Steele
- Deleted Scene from the Italian version with notes by Tim Lucas
- International Trailer
- US Trailer
- Italian Trailer
- TV Spot
- I Vampiri (1956) – Italy’s first sound horror film directed by Riccardo Freda and Mario Bava
- US I Vampiri Trailer ‘The Devil’s Commandment’
- Trailer reel – trailers of all the major works by Mario Bava
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by Matt Bailey and Alan Jones, a new interview with Barbara Steele by Calum Waddell and a statement by Riccardo Freda on I vampiri and Mario Bava, newly translated from the original Italian by Nick Frame for the first time, illustrated with original stills and posters

Release date: 28th January 2013
DVD & Blu-ray
Region B/2
3 Discs
RRP £22.99

Limited Edition Slipbox (1000 copies) also available exclusively from the Arrow Store. Limited Edition features the same content as above plus the Slipbox casing and four alternating artwork panels featuring new and original artwork.

ARROW VIDEO'S DUAL FORMAT EDITION OF BLACK SUNDAY IS AVAILABLE ON 28TH JANUARY 2013. PRE-ORDER YOURS HERE.

bgart13 7th November 2012 05:09 PM

Back after it was announced, Arrow stated on FB they still hadn't looked at the sources being supplied. Has this changed at all? I'm curious how the AIP version is being handled - whether from a print or a reconstruction from the Int'l version.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 15th November 2012 10:00 AM

A quick update from Arrow regarding the booklet included in this release:

Quote:

Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by Matt Bailey and Alan Jones, a new interview with Barbara Steele by Calum Waddell and a statement by Riccardo Freda on I vampiri and Mario Bava, newly translated from the original Italian by Nick Frame for the first time, illustrated with original stills and posters

ReturnToZero 15th November 2012 02:15 PM

Will I Vampirii be 1080p also?

Rik 15th November 2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 292513)
Will I Vampirii be 1080p also?

According to Arrow on Facebook, it will be in SD because no HD master is available, otherwise it would've had a separate release

mercury 1st December 2012 11:49 AM

Limited Edition Slipbox (1000 copies) also available exclusively from the Arrow Store. Limited Edition features the same content as above plus the Slipbox casing and four alternating artwork panels featuring new and original artwork.

So is this version dual format as well?

ThePopeofCOSDS 1st December 2012 07:04 PM

Great film. One of Bava's best. Good to see Arrow handling it properly.

-Razor88

bgart13 31st December 2012 06:00 AM

Apparently Barbara doesn't know anything about being interviewed by Arrow for this. Is this extra still "planned?"

keirarts 31st December 2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 307390)
Apparently Barbara doesn't know anything about being interviewed by Arrow for this. Is this extra still "planned?"

Its probably the interview done for the US release but was never included on the disc (for some weird reason) I bet Arrow thought 'your loss' and snagged the rights immediately. No-one from arrow will have done the interview themselves. (Theres some older posts on redemptions facebook page about it)

The limited editions of this and lisa are the last two major releases I will be buying until I have a budget sorted or found a new job. I was hesitant about ordering given the recent debacle (where my stuff got shipped to the wrong address, still no apology btw) but I want the slipcase to look right with all my other stuff and if I havent found a job by the time their released it'll be something nice for me coming through the post.

As for transfer, its always a risky proposition with arrow. For every Demons 1+2, Zombie flesh-eaters (yes even with the missing 6 seconds) maniac cop ect, we get tenebrae or House by the cemetary with italian lab screw ups. I also own the KINO discs and if this looks anything like their releases (and I presume they will use the same source material) then it should look a treat.

keirarts 31st December 2012 11:19 AM

Also a quote from tim lucas via facebook...

"As for BLACK SUNDAY, Arrow has access to the original negative, which was not available when Kino was doing their release; it will also contain the AIP version of the film for the first time on DVD or Blu-ray, which has only just become available to the rights holder."

Sounding better and better. The kino black sunday looked amazing, hopefully this will look even better!

bgart13 31st December 2012 11:40 PM

Don't think Kino ever got around to doing the interview for the reasons it was never included, which I shall not speak of.

keirarts 31st December 2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 307640)
Don't think Kino ever got around to doing the interview for the reasons it was never included, which I shall not speak of.

Dont know if Kino themselves did the interview but an interview was done. There was a bit of a to-do on facebook about them not including it.

JAMIOUSE 3rd January 2013 07:45 PM

This really is looking like a fantastic release, I can't wait!

bgart13 3rd January 2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 307641)
Dont know if Kino themselves did the interview but an interview was done. There was a bit of a to-do on facebook about them not including it.

I don't believe it was actually ever done, as a certain personal business agreement could not be reached. I know a friend of hers, and have heard from others close to that Kino production, and it never sounded like an interview was ever done as an impasse could not be resolved.

keirarts 3rd January 2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 308619)
I don't believe it was actually ever done, as a certain personal business agreement could not be reached. I know a friend of hers, and have heard from others close to that Kino production, and it never sounded like an interview was ever done as an impasse could not be resolved.

hmm, maybe I read it wrong, and going back on facebook i'm having a hard time finding the bit I read.

Susan Foreman 11th January 2013 01:02 PM

Mario Bava Blu-rays this month | News | Film @ The Digital Fix

Rik 24th January 2013 10:46 AM

Dammit, Arrow have just posted this pic so now I want to order the slipcase edition :mmph:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...99260765_o.jpg

Susan Foreman 24th January 2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 315867)
Dammit, Arrow have just posted this pic so now I want to order the slipcase edition :mmph:

No you don't!

Rik 24th January 2013 12:13 PM

No, maybe not worth an extra £10 just for 2 card slipcases that'll match the rest of my collection only for them to discontinue them after these two

trebor8273 24th January 2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 315890)
No, maybe not worth an extra £10 just for 2 card slipcases that'll match the rest of my collection only for them to discontinue them after these two

its not worth the money might of picked up if they where still selling them on amazon, but as this and Lisa and the devil appear to be the last slipcase titles, i shall not be buying.

Mojo 5th February 2013 06:07 PM

Just had a quick flick through the Arrow release and it looks really good. Looking forward to watching the entire film.

Boo Radley 5th February 2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 315893)
its not worth the money might of picked up if they where still selling them on amazon, but as this and Lisa and the devil appear to be the last slipcase titles, i shall not be buying.

Okay, I'm playing catch - up here, last slipcase titles...really? That's it, no more?? Ever? :censored::censored::censored: Noooooooo!!!! Tell me you're lying....

Hawkmonger 5th February 2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley (Post 319311)
Okay, I'm playing catch - up here, last slipcase titles...really? That's it, no more?? Ever? :censored::censored::censored: Noooooooo!!!! Tell me you're lying....

Yup. They where not cost effective and frankley un needed. I'm happy with some sexy transparent cases.:clap:

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th February 2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 315867)

The seduction of the gullible. :nod:

JAMIOUSE 5th February 2013 06:47 PM

My copy arrived today along with Lisa, their actually the first blu ray discs I've bought as I'm not currently HD friendly. I hope Arrow keep up with the Dual Disc format it's certainly the way to go I think.

Anyway, still no proper reviews for Black Sunday online, not that go into a bit of technical stuff which most of like to read. I'm hoping DVD Beaver will have a review and comparisson soon.

tele1962 5th February 2013 09:18 PM

Black Sunday Blu-ray: La maschera del demonio, The Mask of Satan (United Kingdom)

bgart13 5th February 2013 09:48 PM

Really wanting to get this, especially for the AIP cut, but with the manufacturing issues going on and questions about how it compares to the disappointing Kino release, I feel like I have to wait until someone reliable like Nathaniel at Mondo Digital reviews it. All a shame, really.

tele1962 5th February 2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 319375)
Really wanting to get this, especially for the AIP cut, but with the manufacturing issues going on and questions about how it compares to the disappointing Kino release, I feel like I have to wait until someone reliable like Nathaniel at Mondo Digital reviews it. All a shame, really.

I still think Blu Ray.Com are one of the best out there and their screen grabs are more accurate than say DVD Beaver.:)

Tor_Hershman 5th February 2013 10:23 PM

"Black Sunday" is a super fine film & "Black Sabbath," where the old, dead lady is floating, STILL gives me the creepily cool chills up & down me spine.

Stay on groovin' safari,
Tor

Buboven 5th February 2013 11:19 PM

Cautiously excited for my hopefully non-damaged replacement of Arrow Video's Dual format release of Black Sunday tmrow. :pray:

keirarts 5th February 2013 11:24 PM

My biggest surprise was how many people had issues with the kino release of Black sunday, what exactly were people expecting from the film? Every release of this film has age related issues, and the kino release looked better than I have ever seen it, be it the bbc1 jonathon ross screening, the image dvd or the anchor bay release.

I was happy with the kino release, even when I did my usual test sticking it on my mates fancy-pants 40" state of the art 3dtv, and i'm even more happy with my arrow release. I doubt very much we'll be seeing a better release of this any time soon (unless the italians are sitting on the negatives and not telling anyone.)

bgart13 6th February 2013 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 319384)
I still think Blu Ray.Com are one of the best out there and their screen grabs are more accurate than say DVD Beaver.:)

I'm aware of the reputation of Dvd Beaver's caps, but I've never personally had an issue yet. I use them as a reference, as I do with other review sites. I like to get a few reviews to get an idea of what they all have to say. Blu-ray.com's are usually pretty good (even if some of the reviewers can be completely ignorant and wrong). However, Dvd Beaver is one of the few that add different editions to past comparisons (which is what I'm looking for). Mondo Digital often does something similar, if less extensive.

Mojo 6th February 2013 02:25 PM

Looks like Arrow's edition trumps Kino's: :)

Black Sunday

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th February 2013 05:39 PM

It's a fantastic release. I've still to watch the AIP version, but I'll get to that this weekend.

ReturnToZero 6th February 2013 05:42 PM

I refuse to buy a film rated 15. Kid stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mojo 6th February 2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 319632)
I refuse to buy a film rated 15. Kid stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black Sunday isn't kids stuff. And you'll be missing out on a classic :nod:

JAMIOUSE 6th February 2013 06:26 PM

I had a quick flick through the DVD last night, the presentation looks superb. I watched the Trailer Reel fully, Blood and Black Lace has to surely get a release from Arrow at some point. The only trailer that really freaked me out was Doctor Goldfoot, I really hope we never see a release of it it looks terrible.

Return To Zero - don't be put off by the 15 certificate alot of films are getting 15's these days because their not graphic enough to warrent 18's, you can thank Saw and Hostel for that. I remember reading that Texas Chainsaw Massacre nearly got a 15 the other year until it was pointed out the film was banned for decades!

ReturnToZero 6th February 2013 07:10 PM

Just kidding guys, i just think your countrys rating system is rediculous ;)

tele1962 7th February 2013 06:45 AM

Watched Mask Of Satan last night, first time i have seen it and i can't say enough about how much i enjoyed it. Had i quick look at Black Sunday and PQ does seem better on this one.
Can anyone tell me if I Vampiri is also in HD?

keirarts 7th February 2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 319706)
Watched Mask Of Satan last night, first time i have seen it and i can't say enough about how much i enjoyed it. Had i quick look at Black Sunday and PQ does seem better on this one.
Can anyone tell me if I Vampiri is also in HD?

I vampiri is SD on a regular dvd but looks good imo.