Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Books, Magazines & Comics (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   The Film Books Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/books-magazines-comics/215-film-books-thread.html)

Justin101 7th May 2023 09:15 AM

That's a funny coincidence, I've just recently watched the compilation film That's Carry On and was thinking about how lovely Barbara was in those films, her cheeky persona as much as her assets :lol:

Dave Boy 14th May 2023 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll be picking up the CARRY ON GIRLS book for sure.

I stumbled across this book as well. I'll be picking this up soon. First movie I ever saw at the cinema.

Attachment 246240

Released in 1969, the film Battle of Britain went on to become one of the most iconic war movies ever produced. The film drew many respected British actors to accept roles as key figures of the battle, including Sir Laurence Olivier as Hugh Dowding and Trevor Howard as Keith Park. It also starred Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer and Robert Shaw as squadron leaders. As well as its large all-star international cast, the film was notable for its spectacular flying sequences which were on a far grander scale than anything that had been seen on film before. At the time of its release, Battle of Britain was singled out for its efforts to portray the events of the summer of 1940 in great accuracy. To achieve this, Battle of Britain veterans such as Group Captain Tom Gleave, Wing Commander Robert Stanford Tuck, Wing Commander Douglas Bader, Squadron Leader Boles?aw Drobi?ski and Luftwaffe General Adolf Galland were all involved as consultants. This detailed description of the making of the film is supported by a mouth-watering selection of pictures that were taken during the production stages. The images cover not only the many vintage aircraft used in the film, but also the airfields, the actors, and even the merchandise which accompanied the film's release in 1969 - plus a whole lot more. There are numerous air-to-air shots of the Spitfires, Messerschmitts, Hurricanes and Heinkels that were brought together for the film. There are also images that capture the moment that Battle of Britain veterans, some of whom were acting as consultants, visited the sets. Interviews with people who worked on the film, such as Hamish Mahaddie, John Blake and Ron Goodwin, among others, bring the story to life.

Dave Boy 2nd July 2023 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On it's way..

Attachment 246901

The latest book from Wayne Kinsey which will be volume 5 in his excellent Hammer Scrapbook series.

Dave Boy 3rd August 2023 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Blimey! I missed this one.. August 8th.

Attachment 247331

Official retrospective hardback book telling the story of the making of Conan The Barbarian, including interviews with cast and crew and featuring behind-the-scenes photography from the shoot.

In 1982, Robert E. Howard's iconic literary anti-hero, Conan, slashed his way from page to screen after a perilous decades-long journey. With its potent mix of epic vistas and bloody battles, Conan the Barbarian thrilled moviegoers around the world and launched the career of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Forty years after its release, this cult-classic film is celebrated in Conan the Barbarian – The Official Story of the Film, a lush hardback volume that tells the full story of how the film was made. Brand new interviews with cast and crew, as well behind-the-scenes photography from the set and concept art created for the production, give fascinating insights into the development of one of the best-loved fantasy films of the 1980s.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th August 2023 06:53 PM

October 2nd

Quote:

Our second volume showcasing the work of Graham Humphreys contains almost 100 new paintings, many of them created during the pandemic. With home entertainment playing such a crucial role during the Covid years, Graham found himself busier than ever and with increased focus. From blu-ray reissues to soundtrack LP covers, and book jackets to private commissions, this new work is among the artist's best yet. Classic horror, independent films, and reimaginings of cult movie posters, it's all here! All the work featured was painted in the traditional medium of gouache on watercolour paper, using techniques that Graham has refined over his 42 years as a professional illustrator. The book's title is a nod to the marketing of the famous movie franchise in which Graham was involved.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/...X970_V1___.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nightmare-O...mx_gp_ob1evrko

Justin101 24th August 2023 08:56 PM

That’s weird I ordered that earlier :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th August 2023 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 689729)
That’s weird I ordered that earlier :)

I have the first book with all his classic cinema posters in. Hung Drawn and Executed.

I'm not so impressed with his art for video labels in recent years. Some have been excellent but more often than not they've seemed like quick chuck everything and the kitchen sink in there as well type paintings. Churn 'em out as quick as possible. No comparison with his earlier stuff.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st October 2023 08:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Awesome. Just found this in the bottom of the box which stores my Halloween decs.

I couldn't find it for the life of me when i was watching all the Palin series earlier in the year. Thought i'd somehow lost it.

Himalaya, signed by Michael Palin.

Justin101 2nd October 2023 01:42 PM

Just delivered. It’s a nice collection of modern day posters and covers he’s done for the likes of BFI, Arrow Video, 88 Films, Second Sight etc. quite a variety and a nice companion to the previous book.

https://i.ibb.co/QHvQT4X/IMG-2487.jpg