Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Contraband (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=535)
-   -   SHAM043: CONTRABAND - Original Announcement (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/contraband/12102-sham043-contraband-original-announcement.html)

JAMIOUSE 15th March 2014 10:27 AM

I've imported DVD's for years, for long enough if you wanted too see a particular film in uncut or see it at all you had to become multi-regional. A lot of cult titles were simply not available in the UK. Most of my DVD collection is US region 1 or region 0

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th March 2014 10:27 AM

I try to buy British where I can but I do import a lot of titles too. If you limit yourself to your home region/country (irrelevant of where you live) you are missing out on a lot of good stuff.

(just my opinion of course).

mr 420 15th March 2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 396676)
I invented sleeping with the fishes.....:lol:

Reaps, I think I'll be calling you Troy McClure from now on. :)

rjm75 15th March 2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rassilon (Post 396776)
I consider myself a collector and avid horror fan. I love my shameless, arrow nucleus, second sight, vipco and 88 films.

But I don't import. Never saw the need. There are always films I want that are out here. I'm not mad about extras. I do sometimes find snobbery from 'some' that do import. I really don't know why it bothers them so. I love shopping in hmv.

Hi Rassilon. I too am a collector and I agree with your point about the extras. I was just saying that Blue Underground are readily available on Amazon UK - some of them UK sellers. You can get very good versions of the films for around £5. For those (it seems a minority) who already have a good version of the film, it would be nice if Shameless concentrated on the films that you cannot easily find versions of. My comment about the extras was merely because I love Shameless Films and want to support them as much as I can, so to make it easier to justify buying a second version of the film it would be nice if it had something extra on it. :)

rjm75 15th March 2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 396766)
As Shameless have said before, most of their sales come from shops, not the Internet, most likely from people who have never imported a DVD or BD in their lives. It's surprising how many people don't shop online and only buy DVDs/BDs from shops, so Shameless releasing titles which have already been released by Blue Underground might not eat away at their overall sales as much as you'd think.

Thanks for the information Nos. I did not know that most of Shameless sales come from shops. I am sure it does not eat away at the sales that much - I have a few imports but if Shameless release a version I would rather get rid of the import and then buy the Shameless one! My comment was just to express a personal preference that I would rather see the harder to source gems on Shameless' release schedule :)

davcol 15th March 2014 01:55 PM

I think its fair that people who post on here can be critical of titles that are widely available. I understand the reasoning about the general buying public only purchasing from shops but it dosent help people like myself who buy from wherever because I love Italian cinema.
As for this title I purchased the AWE version from Amazon UK a couple of years for 3 quid and its region 2. That's a fine version of the film as well.

Vampix 15th March 2014 11:45 PM

As long as it's uncut I'll be having a copy of Contraband too. I've never seen it but have read about it over the years. I remember seeking out the infamous Bunsen burner scene on YouTube and being shocked at how mean-spirited it was. :shocked:

Daemonia 16th March 2014 12:28 AM

Contraband is an amazing film. It's worth the price alone just to see the cameo of Fulci wielding a machine gun!

The violence and gore certainly rivals his classic series of horror films and the rape scene is very shocking for its time. Hopefully the BBFC will go easy on it, but they still don't like sexual violence, which this film contains. I, personally, don't think the BBFC will have any problems in passing it uncut, but you can never quite predict how they will rule.

JAMIOUSE 18th March 2014 06:13 PM

Have to admit that when I first saw Contraband Fulci's little cameo made me laugh out loud c'mon Fulci!

Hawkmonger 18th March 2014 07:48 PM

All three titles are not in my collection so shall be purchased ASAP.