Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Contraband (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=535)
-   -   SHAM043: Contraband - Specs & Artwork (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/contraband/12227-sham043-contraband-specs-artwork.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 2nd May 2014 12:17 PM

SHAM043: Contraband - Specs & Artwork

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

With just a few more week's until Shameless' incredible release of Lucio Fulci's violent Contraband, it's time to reveal some more details!

SHAM043: CONTRABAND
aka THE SMUGGLER

Lucio Fulci - known as the Godfather of Gore (Zombie Flesh Eaters, The Beyond) - unflinchingly depicts the ultra-violence of the Neapolitan mafia, the Camorra. CONTRABAND is all the more brutal because of the lack of the surreal fantasy of his other works.

Hard-as-nail stalwart Fabio Testi (Revolver) stars as Luca, an ‘old-school’ cigarette smuggler who triggers a ferocious mob war when his brother is killed and his wife kidnapped by a rival gang headed by a totally depraved sadist, exquisitely played by Marcel Bozzufi (the killer in French Connection!), who are intent on replacing the status-quo with their deadly drugs.

Fulci depicts the ensuing carnage - which will turn the otherwise idyllic bay of Naples red - unleashing his trade-mark gut-splattering, brain-exploding scenes of eye-popping graphic cruelty. This definitive limited numbered edition is released by Shameless for the 1st time ever uncut (over 5 mins longer) and, uniquely features both its English and the original Italian audio with English subtitles.

Special Features Include:
  • Collector's Limited Edition Lenticular Cover
  • English plus Italian Audio with optional English Subtitles
  • Alternative Italian Credits
  • English Theatrical Trailer
  • Shameless Crime Trailer Park

Now, for the first time, feast your eyes on the gorgeous new artwork for this release. Designed by Cult Labs' hugely talented member, Slippery Jack, it's fantastic!

For a limited time, this release will also include this awesome lenticular cover from one of the films most loved gory moments -

http://i.imgur.com/slGoe7o.gif

So what are your thoughts? Are you loving the new artwork? We sure are! Share your opinion below...

This Shameless Screen Entertainment of Contraband is due for DVD release on the 2nd June 2014. Pre-order yours today!

Rik 2nd May 2014 12:21 PM

I quite like it :nod:

anythinggoes78 2nd May 2014 12:24 PM

Will look good with the rest of the collection

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2014 12:26 PM

It works better as a lenticular than it does the single cover image.

Look forward to the big reveal of the alternate original artwork.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2014 12:26 PM

Notice the Shameless ring on the fella.

Rik 2nd May 2014 12:27 PM

Am I right in thinking the LE cover will be on all the first prints i.e my pre-order from Zavvi will include it, or will there be two separate releases at the same time?

Rik 2nd May 2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 402183)
Notice the Shameless ring on the fella.

Yeah, I saw that, Shameless Merch anyone.....

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 402184)
Am I right in thinking the LE cover will be on all the first prints i.e my pre-order from Zavvi will include it, or will there be two separate releases at the same time?

It'll be on the first thousand or so copies.

Perhaps Kyle knows how many have been pressed with the cover.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 2nd May 2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 402186)
It'll be on the first thousand or so copies.

Perhaps Kyle knows how many have been pressed with the cover.

Yep, Dem's spot on Rik! It's first come first served. I'll let you know once it's up on the Shameless shop too along with the number of LE copies there are. :nod:

mr 420 2nd May 2014 12:57 PM

So, I was right about the title and the cover, Kyle. :woot: You still got my address, bud? :tongue1: :)

Nice work, BTW, SJ. :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd May 2014 01:05 PM

Slippery Jack has done a terrific job with the artwork and the lenticular cover is the icing on the cake.

platostotal 2nd May 2014 01:57 PM

That cover made me chuckle with glee(great job SJ), then a sobering thought popped into my head "how will shops like HMV feel about a gory cover like that?" maybe retail versions could ship with a toned down by a sticker cover, after all if some twonk goes to the till and complains that his sprog has been upset seeing it while looking for Toy Story or the like, it will vanish.

JAMIOUSE 2nd May 2014 02:45 PM

Quite like the cover, although I prefer my idea of the burning face still! I wonder why the original listing was removed from Amazon, 10th Victim was removed because it became a dual format release, this isn't.

SimonT 2nd May 2014 03:11 PM

Hell, you've managed to get this through the BBFC uncut????

Must say I'm pleasantly surprised, would have thought the BBFC would have balked at the rape scene.

Tell me though, is this the same transfer used for the US Blue Underground disc? That version was taken from a damaged print, which had a tear in the film reel during one of the scenes (you could see where they patched it up). Is this film damage present in this release, or is it a fresh transfer from an undamaged print?

Gold6082 2nd May 2014 05:10 PM

That artwork is fantastic I love it. One of the best artworks to date on shameless releases.:clap:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 6th May 2014 02:13 PM

Hi everyone,

Unfortunatly, Shameless' upcoming release of Contraband has been pushed back ever so slightly now, by two weeks. Instead of the 19th May, this DVD will be released on the 2nd June.

Great things come to those whom wait!

The release date for the Deodato box set is still due for the 16th June, as originally planned. We'll let you know if there are any changes to that!

Pre-order your copy of the Limited Edition release of Contraband today from here!

JAMIOUSE 6th May 2014 07:17 PM

Better late than never. Can you tell us anymore on the transfer been used, is it a new master?

Anth 7th May 2014 09:33 AM

I had heard about this and immediately discounted it as I thought no way in gods green earth will it be released uncut.

Now that it is, can I ask, does anyone have any ideas on how the PQ will compare to the Another World Entertainment release which is supposed to have the best PQ.

I have the Italian Shock version of this, which I was surprised (i.e gutted) to find out was cut, so have been planning on upgrading and never got round to buying the AWE version but will definitely buy this if it has a nice PQ to justify it.

Demoncrat 7th May 2014 09:43 AM

S.O.L.D. :pop2:

Vampix 7th May 2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth (Post 402611)
I had heard about this and immediately discounted it as I thought no way in gods green earth will it be released uncut.

Why did you think the film didn't have much chance getting through the BBFC unscathed? I've never seen Contraband so I'm not familiar with it at all. Is it because the film has sexual violence in it?

JAMIOUSE 7th May 2014 11:33 AM

The violence is possibly why so many people are surprised its got through the BBC uncut. It has an unpleasant rape scene, the face burning scene and lots of exploding guts. It isn't really that nasty or shocking by today's standards, its certainly not New York Ripper leaves of nastiness.

Daemonia 7th May 2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 402617)
Why did you think the film didn't have much chance getting through the BBFC unscathed? I've never seen Contraband so I'm not familiar with it at all. Is it because the film has sexual violence in it?

There's a fairly nasty rape scene that is very unpleasant and I also thought the BBFC might find it troubling. Since they didn't, then it's high time someone resubmitted Tombs of the Blind Dead which has a fumble masquerading as a rape and, in light of Contraband, should fly through the BBFC now! Or maybe they only have an issue when the sexual violence is in a horror film?

JAMIOUSE 7th May 2014 06:13 PM

I never understood why the rape scene in Blind Dead was such a problem, it's not the most graphic by a long shot and considering some of the arty films that have got passed for much worse depictions it's probably about time for a re-release.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th May 2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 402657)
I never understood why the rape scene in Blind Dead was such a problem, it's not the most graphic by a long shot and considering some of the arty films that have got passed for much worse depictions it's probably about time for a re-release.

Are you saying Blind Dead isn't arty? :tsk:

Anth 7th May 2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 402617)

The rape scene is one of the most extreme in any movies outside of Irreversible and New York Ripper.

And given House on the Edge of the Park was cut to shreds I assumed the same for this.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 9th May 2014 12:33 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, Shameless fans from all over, it's time to announce the reverse artwork for Contraband!

What do you think? Which artwork will you be showing off? The front or this reverse?

Be sure to pre-order Shameless' UNCUT release of Lucio Fulci's Contraband by clicking here!

anythinggoes78 9th May 2014 12:35 PM

Ill stick to the front I think

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 9th May 2014 12:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Which artwork do you prefer? Vote and let us know!

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th May 2014 12:38 PM

The reverse. :)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 9th May 2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 402840)
The reverse. :)

Always one for the original art, Stephen! :nod: It does look very, very cool but SJ's just pushed in front for me.

PaulD 9th May 2014 12:49 PM

I'm really split between the two. I have to admit, I do love the fact they've got Slippery Jack doing the covers now. They were often so poor in the past

Vampix 9th May 2014 01:16 PM

The original art is nice, but I prefer the gory cover. :nod:

Rik 9th May 2014 01:17 PM

Anyone else noticed that SJ rarely posts on here since he started doing these covers.....

platostotal 9th May 2014 01:46 PM

Um... both:lol:, I'll just flip em every once in a while to freshen it up. As most will prefer the SJ, I'll vote original.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th May 2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 402849)
Anyone else noticed that SJ rarely posts on here since he started doing these covers.....

He's too good for us mere mortals now.

PaulD 9th May 2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 402849)

Haha, yeah. He's on Instagram and Twitter a lot but I guess he's generally pretty busy with work.

Slippery Jack 9th May 2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 402853)
He's too good for us mere mortals now.

:mad2: SILENCE, MORTAL! :mad2:

Yeah, like Paul said, I'm more of a Twitter person these days . . .

demonknight 11th May 2014 02:40 PM

It's up on Amazon now as an instant purchase...no mention of a pre-order, anyone know why?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th May 2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 402838)
Which artwork do you prefer? Vote and let us know!

Slippery Jack's new artwork. I love the alternate, but the new artwork with the lenticular slip to make it 'move' just seems to fit the Shameless label.

Slippery Jack 11th May 2014 05:39 PM

Do I get a prize if the front wins the vote...?