Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Don't Torture a Duckling (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   SHAM033 - Don't Torture a Duckling: The Artwork (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dont-torture-duckling/6246-sham033-dont-torture-duckling-artwork.html)

Pete 20th July 2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 167349)
In my eyes the panel is head and shoulders above the Blue Underground and Anchor Bay covers used for the Region 1 edition.

I also can't get enough of Barbara.:p

It is better than the R1 art but it makes it look cheap and sleazy.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th July 2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 167351)

It is cheap and sleazy.;)

Sarah@Cult Labs 20th July 2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehamish (Post 167340)
will probably hurt sales, as it only refers to a specific scene in the film, and may give casual buyers the wrong idea...

Maybe so but I think that's debatable... I will say that the last Shameless DVD to feature a nakedness and breasticles on the sleeve almost sold out on Day 1 of release (Almost Human).

I've seen a mock up of Panel B and I have to say it's one of my favourite Shameless sleeves ever, but I won't be able to reveal it for a few more weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 167351)

Cheap and sleazy sells though, Pete! If it's classiness you're after then you can look forward to Panel B!

Pete 20th July 2011 11:51 AM

I just don't like it at all. Many of these films struggle to get the respect they deserve and covers like that are no help at all. Now the average customer in HMV will see it as just another piece of exploitation crap. Which it is not.

Still not as bad as some of the Arrow covers though ;)

Sarah@Cult Labs 20th July 2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 167357)
I just don't like it at all. Many of these films struggle to get the respect they deserve and covers like that are no help at all. Now the average customer in HMV will see it as just another piece of exploitation crap. Which it is not.

It's a good point and I agree with you about these films struggling to get respect but I think if the average HMV customer browsing the horror section sees this, they'll buy it and then discover that it's a great film.

If Shameless were to run with something classier then, with a title like Don't Torture a Duckling, there's a good chance the average HMV customer would think it's a foreign art film and not buy it at all, never mind discover it's a great film.

I'd rather take the former scenario any day!

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th July 2011 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The problem Shameless have is if they are going to feature a specific scene from the film on the cover then it will appear sleazy, nasty, gory etc. Be it Barbara Bouchet naked, a dead child, or a battered woman dying on a gravestone. It is an exploitation genre film after all.

Here's an exciting alternative pic you could use for a panel, sure to wow the punters.

PaulD 20th July 2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 167361)
The problem Shameless have is if they are going to feature a specific scene from the film on the cover then it will appear sleazy, nasty, gory etc. Be it Barbara Bouchet naked, a dead child, or a battered woman dying on a gravestone. It is an exploitation genre film after all.

Here's an exciting alternative pic you could use for a panel, sure to wow the punters.

That's almost as engrossing as the reverse artwork for My Dear Killer! :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th July 2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 167363)
That's almost as engrossing as the reverse artwork for My Dear Killer! :)

Thats certainly eye opening. The desk is particularly impressive. :lol:

Pete 20th July 2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 167358)
It's a good point and I agree with you about these films struggling to get respect but I think if the average HMV customer browsing the horror section sees this, they'll buy it and then discover that it's a great film.

Hopefully.

And if they don't buy it the 'dirty mack' brigade will :D

Quote:

If Shameless were to run with something classier then, with a title like Don't Torture a Duckling, there's a good chance the average HMV customer would think it's a foreign art film and not buy it at all, never mind discover it's a great film.

I'd rather take the former scenario any day!
True.

Still thinks it's crap though.

trench 20th July 2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 167354)
Maybe so but I think that's debatable... I will say that the last Shameless DVD to feature a nakedness and breasticles on the sleeve almost sold out on Day 1 of release (Almost Human).

How much of that was down to the fact that it was a lenticular sleeve, limited to 1000 copies though? If the lenticular sleeve wasn't limited (or indeed if the sleeve bore the same image but wasn't lenticular and wasn't limited), do you think it still would have sold as many copies on the day of release?