Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The Frightened Woman (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=499)
-   -   SHAM010 - The Frightened Woman (Femina Ridens) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/frightened-woman/181-sham010-frightened-woman-femina-ridens.html)

Absurd 19th March 2008 02:23 PM

Looking forward to this release, thanks for the info and painstaking attention :D

DVD Trash 19th March 2008 03:48 PM

Yeah it looks good! Blogged about at my site too!

DVD Trash

Almar@Cult Labs 19th March 2008 04:23 PM

Thanks for the link DVD Trash! :)

Stephen@Cult Labs 19th March 2008 05:52 PM

Another sterling job chaps and thank god the bbfc has seen the good sense to pass it without cuts :) Really looking forward to this one.Going to be interesting to see what other gems you can get your hands on.

Sarah@Cult Labs 19th March 2008 07:12 PM

It's looking wicked. I'll update the Facebook pages right away!

And look at you guys getting all posh with directorial seals of approval! ;)

RobbieD 20th March 2008 02:16 PM

Best original cover to date. :) Is there any possibility of getting a commentary from the director?!

Almar@Cult Labs 21st March 2008 04:03 PM

That would have been nice but it's an extra grand at least to put a commentary on and to date we're waiting for one of these titles to break even let alone make anything. We are looking though at doing a little tour round some of the directors still alive in Italy and hoover them up for future DVDs.

bedorca 22nd March 2008 06:48 PM

Pah! Who needs commentaries? Spend the money on getting hold of some more lost classics!!

Almar@Cult Labs 31st March 2008 03:37 PM

That's the thought process but we're thinking about how we can economically produce some extras that won't break the bank.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st April 2008 07:59 PM

Extras are usually bollocks mate,just keep giving us clean crisp transfers,uncut where possible and of course,the super reversible covers.:coolblue:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st April 2008 08:00 PM

Ok,how about the forum members give a panel discussion foc for each release?:D:rolleyes:

ecc 3rd April 2008 08:07 AM

Frightened Woman - restoration details?

I, for one, would be fascinated to hear the details of restoring this film: what the original master looked like and consisted of, where additional material was sourced from, etc?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd April 2008 07:27 PM

MR Morris,care to take centre stage?:)

Jonny 10th April 2008 09:59 PM

Some grabs from Shameless' 'Femina Ridens' DVD...

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ion/Ridens.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...on/Ridens3.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...on/Ridens4.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...on/Ridens5.jpg

Personally I think this is the best release so far from Shameless. Review of the DVD will be forthcoming...

Almar@Cult Labs 11th April 2008 10:20 AM

Looking forward to the review Jonny - if you're impressed then that means something. Quite nervous about this one as we turned our business model on the head for this release. If it works though we'll do more but so far it's the highest pre-order in Shameless history. And before we get too excited it's not huge but for a teeny label it's encouraging in this market.

Philleh 11th April 2008 10:31 AM

Cot damn, that looks sexy!

bedorca 12th April 2008 08:40 AM

I must agree that it looks fantastic.... Well done to all involved :)

Almar@Cult Labs 12th April 2008 08:18 PM

And look - we're beating all the gay DVDs out there!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/new-releases/dvd/1025436

So proud...

gore64 12th April 2008 08:47 PM

TILF? I didn't know they sold such things on Amazon heh heh... The Frightened Woman is one I've wanted to see for a long time. Looks good!

Jonny 12th April 2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless (Post 2506)
And look - we're beating all the gay DVDs out there!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/new-releases/dvd/1025436

So proud...

Haha! Nice one! I'd be proud too. :D

Phillipe Leroy's defo buff in this one! Gotta love the scene where he's getting out of the bath... Dagmar's holding a towel out for him and he stands up out of the water and leaps up to his trapeze and starts doing naked pull ups! :coolblue::D

Superb film.

Nice Car / Boat too!

Absurd 13th April 2008 03:57 PM

I've banged the disc in and had a quick scan and it looks OK, but, why is there only English audio?

I, along with many others, like to watch films in their native language where possible, so do you have any opinions or thoughts or plans of giving us the option of correct language and subs instead of just a dub track?

This is not a criticism, just a general query :)

Almar@Cult Labs 13th April 2008 08:10 PM

Personally with the lack of sync sound and the generally good standard of English dubs (compared to say the dubs you get on old Hong Kong movies) I've always been pretty happy with English tracks. Even newer films like Sleepless when I was watching it I remember kicking off with the Italian DTS and in the end switching to the English dub because at least it vaguely matched!

When we set up Shameless we weighed up whether to try and make extras and carry more audio options and release a few films a year or bring a lot more to market, keep the discs simple, and for the company to survive and build a market here in a country used to importing.

But...

We listen and we implement change where possible and where it's asked for by many so if alternative tracks really matter to people then let's hear it. It'll add a significant expense to the discs to create the subtitle tracks (translate, re-write and then sync up) so we'd have to work out how that could be dealt with because so far no release has come close to breaking even which clearly can't go on.

What's interesting though is that all the effort put into frightened woman has also seen it become our biggest pre-order to date so potentially doing more for certain titles could be a good idea.

So far I think I've been asked about original language options a few times so it's not been on our radar. Let us know if it should be.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th April 2008 09:05 PM

If it means survival Almar,then keep the discs simple m8,once you hit the heights of likes abuk,maybe then you can start looking at extras,but then again,the discs prices aren't ott-12 quid,compared to when vipco were releasing films 'digitally unmastered' for 20 quid a pop............once you're rolling in it,you can be 'the criterion of horror and giallo'TM. :)One title which will vastly outnumber TFW would be.....NIGHT OF THE DEMON.......and I'm not just saying that because I want it on dvd............I also run my own business and risk taking isn't nice,but sometimes it has to be done,and thankfully calculated risks usually pay off..........sorry,I'll shut up now....:violin:

Philo MacDuff 14th April 2008 11:42 AM

Even though it's an Italian film the lead actors are not. I would say that English is the intended language of the movie. I read that both Philippe Leroy and Dagmar Lassander speak heavily accented English. Judging by how precisely their lip movements match up to the English track, it looks like they definitely performed the roles that way.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think either version carries their actual voices but the English track would be the more correct or original of the two. That's my take anyway. I'd sure like to know who provided the dub because its really well done. I thought maybe I'd recognized the actor who provides Philippe LeRoy's voice while watching an old Hercules movie.

bedorca 14th April 2008 04:49 PM

I don't care what the sound is, the dubbing even what species the bloody birds are chirping in the trees!

Watched this last night and instantly fell in love with it.

A wonderful film and, if it weren't for Shameless, I would never of seen this lost gem in a million years

Films like this should be praised for the restoration of the picture and sound quality but should certainly not be judged on it.

Thanks again Shameless for another classic! :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th April 2008 05:25 PM

I've not ordered it yet...:blush::o...I'll pick it up from hmv on friday on my day off...:)

bedorca 14th April 2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 2584)
I've not ordered it yet...:blush::o...I'll pick it up from hmv on friday on my day off...:)

Make sure you do Mr Reaper. You won't be disappointed!!! :)

Stephen@Cult Labs 15th April 2008 04:34 PM

Ordered yesterday from amazon and delivered this morning:D Looking forward to watching it later tonight :)

sghawken 15th April 2008 07:46 PM

I absolutely loved this movie, I'd never seen it before it was real joy to behold.

Bloody good job guys

My spoiler free review is below

http://www.helium.com/items/998534-r...stored-release

snipsmovies 15th April 2008 08:50 PM

Woah. Watched this upscaled through my PS3. It was jaw dropping. The quality was unbelievable.

I'm not sucking ass either. Seriously - it dropped my jaw.

Almar@Cult Labs 17th April 2008 04:36 PM

Hey guys - a lovely review in the London Evening Standard today for Frightened Woman:

"Stylish Italian sexploitation flick, with a feminist twist that marks it out as being of 1969 vintage. Go-go dancing, pop-art sets, surrealism: it's all here. And more. Classic."
:)

JAMIOUSE 27th April 2008 12:28 PM

I watched The Frightened Women last night not really sure what to expect and I was pleasantly surprised. It's stunning! The sets, the lighting, Dagmar. Beautiful!

bedorca 27th April 2008 03:52 PM

It affected me so much I changed my Avatar!!! :cool:

Almar@Cult Labs 27th April 2008 03:56 PM

That film just possesses you - it's why we ended up delaying it so we could look into options as to how we could improve it. I'm glad it seems to be making new fans.

bedorca 27th April 2008 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look what it has done to me Almar

I was in Germany on business last week, took a look out of my hotel room and saw........ :cool:

Almar@Cult Labs 27th April 2008 06:29 PM

Scary Biscuits!

EidolonFilms 5th May 2008 09:46 PM

I really enjoyed this movie. Very unusual and captivating. Nice ending as well.

Zarith 17th May 2008 09:16 AM

Great job on this release! The DVD cover is done with taste, the image quality is fantastic and the movie itself is excellent. I had a great time watching it! Thank you Shameless.

I wish all the other Shameless DVDs were as elegant (I won't buy DVDs with trashy covers :ack:).

Almar@Cult Labs 17th May 2008 02:56 PM

Glad you enjoyed the film Zarith - this release seems to have brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people and that's really spurred us on in trying to push what we offer. As for the sleeves Zarith you do know that from Black Cat onwards they're reversible so you can go for the original poster artwork? Some people love our trashy 80s video style covers but we appreciate others really don't so for them we've brought in sleeves to flip over for hardcore fan afficionados!

bedorca 17th May 2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarith (Post 5786)
I wish all the other Shameless DVDs were as elegant (I won't buy DVDs with trashy covers :ack:).

You may be in the wrong place ;)