Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The Frightened Woman (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=499)
-   -   SHAM010 - The Frightened Woman (Femina Ridens) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/frightened-woman/181-sham010-frightened-woman-femina-ridens.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th May 2008 05:02 PM

MUST find the time (and stay off here long enough ) to watch this AND FLAVIA...and now DAUGHTER'S...the only 3 not viewed yet....HEY AL!-Your website's too addictive....how about a counsellingrehabilitation section?:D

bedorca 17th May 2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 5833)
how about a counselling rehabilitation section?:D

I would second that as it would help with my Frightened Woman obssession

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th May 2008 07:01 PM

Will defo try to watch tonight once the tribe all go to bed.....:p

Sarah@Cult Labs 21st May 2008 03:05 PM

Watched this one last night too and I have to say all of the hard work you guys put in was well worth it. The film was just so cool and kitsch it was unbelievable. Thanks for giving everyone a chance to see this! :D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd May 2008 06:24 PM

Will watch it ASAP.....honestly.....:o

bedorca 24th May 2008 06:55 AM

Reaps, what are you like!! ;)
I think I have covered this glorious title enough across the entire forum!!! :D
Check out my Avatar!!!!!!!!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th May 2008 10:44 PM

Need to stay off here long enough to watch the bloody thing mate.....:D

michael.kendall2@ntlworld 31st May 2008 12:25 PM

The A cover is better.

auxt 13th June 2008 04:29 AM

Excellent work on this release, I greatly appreciate your efforts in putting it together.

Did anyone else notice some footage missing on the DVD at the castle dinner scene? The shot when she slips out of her shoes lasts longer in previous versions of the film, and it's important to understanding Dr. Sayer's behaviour. The full shot is later included in a flashback.

Jock Mooney 25th September 2008 04:30 PM

The Frightened Woman = amazing.

Thank you shameless for releasing this audacious piece of film - one of the most beautifully shot things I have ever seen, and quite inspirational. It is about time huge praised is heaped upon films like this at any given opportunity.

I am a visual artist and quite happilly list filmakers like fulci, argento (and now) schivazappa amongst my influences - on top of and equal pegging to 'proper' art. They all merge into one for me.

Thanks again! Viva Shameless, I personally cannot wait for Baba Yaga reloaded - it is so nice to be genuinely excited by a distributor in this post Vipco day and age. No offence Vipco - but the yellow boxes win hands down everytime.

(if you should give a toss - have a butchers at my site - www.jockmooney.com)

bedorca 25th September 2008 06:36 PM

Couldn't agree more Jock. Wonderful stuff.

Currently my favourite Shameless title (and boy was that hard to pick!!!)

My avatar says it all................... :D

cloud 19th November 2008 10:42 AM

I recently watched this and wasn't all too impressed unfortunately. I felt it was a case of style over substance and though it was visually nice it was also for the most part too lacking in violence. It did have a few fairly good moments though and the twist was quite good.

I can understand why people like it but personally it left me cold. It's definitely what I'd call an acquired taste. A good disc though, I can't complain about its presentation.

DeadAlive 9th April 2009 06:44 PM

Great transfer and lovingly done. For that I have to congratulate you, but I have to agree with cloud on the overall result. Thanks to this Shameless release I finally got to see this film but it certainly is very much style over substance and perhaps a tad dated too. It's not one that I would personally return to for multiple viewings.

Almar@Cult Labs 9th April 2009 08:37 PM

But surely the vision that is Dagmar is worth multiple repeat viewings! :blush:

DeadAlive 10th April 2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 25208)
But surely the vision that is Dagmar is worth multiple repeat viewings! :blush:

Er...... um...... I'm trying to convince my Mrs I only watch these films for "The Art". I almost believe it myself. :o

Mansonsblood 15th April 2009 01:22 PM

Watched this last night Almar and really enjoyed it! Thanks for releasing this one I thought it was a gem. As for Dagmar...ooh la la! she's gorgeous!

Almar@Cult Labs 16th April 2009 09:49 AM

It's pretty mad eh? Looks like there might be a very rare London big screen outing as well - more news soon. As for Dagmar - words fail me! :blush:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd August 2009 05:33 PM

Finally got around to ordering this one! :D

Almar@Cult Labs 24th August 2009 10:32 AM

Do let us know what you think!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th August 2009 07:07 PM

Received this today and have just finished watching it - I can say that I really enjoyed it. :cool:

I'd never seen it before and not heard much about it before Shameless released it. I'm a bit late, I know but I'd urge anyone else still pondering whether to get it to definitely give it a go.

Almar@Cult Labs 27th August 2009 07:12 PM

I'm glad you liked it - Dagmar is jaw-droppingly gorgeous in it :jaw:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th August 2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs (Post 39683)
I'm glad you liked it - Dagmar is jaw-droppingly gorgeous in it :jaw:

Yes indeedy! :eyebrows:

Preferred her with the long hair though... ;) :biggrin:

Aurora75 23rd February 2010 01:03 PM

This is the first title i bought on Shameless, and really loved it. Right up my street, amazing style and sets, more like this please ;)

Almar@Cult Labs 23rd February 2010 01:15 PM

It's such a hip cool delight.

the blob 26th November 2010 03:14 PM

Well this one was a really nice surprise. Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Thought it was a very clever film with some great dialogue and monologues, as well as visually stylish and well put together. The rapport between the two leads was excellent. I did figure out the ending, although not the exact circumstances, and I'm glad I was right because as it moved on it was the ending I was hoping for to make this a real unexpected gem. Definite congratulations are in order for getting this released. :D

Almar@Cult Labs 26th November 2010 03:18 PM

Glad you liked it - I was blown away by this film - it's so cool and hip and assured and seductive (if cruel) it really should be better known so do spread the word!

the blob 26th November 2010 03:31 PM

Most definitely will do. Ridiculous bargain for £3.99 at HMV online at the moment as well!

bdc 26th November 2010 03:41 PM

I think this was also my first Shameless purchase...
Love this movie! :nod:

LloydK 26th November 2010 04:56 PM

Great film, very nice DVD, my first Shameless DVD aswell.

slaghammer 28th December 2010 11:41 AM

Wasn't my first Shameless title, but this is easily the biggest discovery for me, I absolutely adore this film, somebody needs to release the soundtrack! Maybe a label like Finders Keepers would be up for it...

edit: my apologies, it's available on CD and luvverly black vinyl from Vadim music (can't post the link at the mo because I haven't shaken off the afterbirth yet!)

More money set to disappear in January!

ecf 11th May 2011 03:36 PM

Incredible!

I just wanted to chime in for a moment and let the Shameless folks know just how much I enjoyed The Frightened Woman, and how much I appreciate the work that was done on the restoration. I heard about the movie just last month, and I got in my disc from Amazon last week -- it's absolutely incredible.

It's not often that you see a movie go for broke like this. The amount of effort involved in producing this must have been tremendous, given all of the attention given to set design, costuming and color. More so, the tone of the movie -- shifting between sumptuous, menacing, romantic, and fever-dream surreality while never truly alienating the viewer -- is pretty hard to pull off.

This is one of those movies where you wonder "why didn't anyone tell me about this?" It's striking how something so rich could be lost to the ravages of time.

I'd also be very interested to hear about the restoration, and about Shiavazappa himself and more about what he had to say about the film. There's so little information on him online, and it would seem like he and the rest of the crew just went on to do films and television that were quite a bit more conventional than The Frightened Woman. How did the ideas for The Frightened Woman originate? How did it do at the box office? What was the critical reaction, both in Italy and overseas? Many of the cuts seem to be unrelated to the sexual content -- so why are there so many versions? There's so little context for this film, and it does get under your skin.

Also, now that I've seen this, are there any other films like this I'm missing? I truly am reeling from never having heard of this until recently. (I'm more of a Danger Diabolik or Mister Freedom man than a Radley Metzger or Dario Argento man.)

Regardless, Shameless, thanks for this. And, uh... is there any chance of a Blu-Ray?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th May 2011 04:37 PM

Great first post ecf, and I completely agree with you on your assessment on Shameless' release of Femina Ridens.

It certainly remains one of my favourite Shameless releases to date, and I too would love to see it get released on Blu-Ray one day.

Oh, and welcome to the forums by the way! :welcome:

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th May 2011 04:47 PM

It certainly is one of Shameless' best releases.

I am always delighted when films are released which aren't readily available stateside, or have been released previously in the UK.

Ratman
The Designated Victim
Oasis of Fear
Footprints on the Moon
Satan's Baby Doll
Almost Human

Are all Wonderful and New

Dimis 13th May 2011 02:28 PM

I absolutely loved the (pseudo-futuristic) 60s jetset interiors , and Lassander looked stunning. Storywise I did not think it was a trashy film at all. If this had been filmed in the USA people would have heard of it or something. Cannot say the same thing for many giallos.