Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

nekromantik 22nd February 2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 219030)
http://thehut.pantherssl.com/product...925-227000.jpg

Just under £16 from sendit.com. Started watching the first few episodes on a free Netflix trial but that's finishing soon and as I'm only watching through a Wii it's not great PQ.

Its a ok tv series. You can do much worse.
Shame it got cancelled. I do not ever buy TV shows that get cancelled waste of money as its left incomplete.

PaulD 22nd February 2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 219037)
Its a ok tv series. You can do much worse.
Shame it got cancelled. I do not ever buy TV shows that get cancelled waste of money as its left incomplete.

I'm enjoying it so far and love Joss Whedon so looking forward to watching the rest of it. I just assumed there was some sort of resolution at the end before it was cancelled but if not I don't mind too much. Firefly as a tv series is enjoyable in its own right so that sort of thing doesn't bother me much.

nekromantik 22nd February 2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 219040)
I'm enjoying it so far and love Joss Whedon so looking forward to watching the rest of it. I just assumed there was some sort of resolution at the end before it was cancelled but if not I don't mind too much. Firefly as a tv series is enjoyable in its own right so that sort of thing doesn't bother me much.

I loved Buffy but never got into Firefly.

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2012 07:33 PM

Dollhouse was pretty decent, although Fox are a bunch of wankers (pardon my French!). Cancelled The Sarah Connor Chronicles and kept Dollhouse, even though the ratings for DH were worse, all because Whedon is their golden boy. Then ended up cancelling DH anyway. FAIL.

PaulD 22nd February 2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 219044)
Dollhouse was pretty decent, although Fox are a bunch of wankers (pardon my French!). Cancelled The Sarah Connor Chronicles and kept Dollhouse, even though the ratings for DH were worse, all because Whedon is their golden boy. Then ended up cancelling DH anyway. FAIL.

'Golden boy' is probably a bit strong - they've never treated him brilliantly to be honest

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 219045)
'Golden boy' is probably a bit strong - they've never treated him brilliantly to be honest

Only word for it if they keep his tv show which is doing worse than another. Or perhaps Fox was just getting more revenue from ads during Dollhouse. They'd keep any old shit if they can make a buck from it.

PaulD 22nd February 2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 219047)
Only word for it if they keep his tv show which is doing worse than another. Or perhaps Fox was just getting more revenue from ads during Dollhouse. They'd keep any old shit if they can make a buck from it.

Yeah,that could be it. They clearly don't respect him enough considering the way Angel and Firefly were dropped.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles, incidentally, is another show I need to watch properly. Saw most of the first season and enjoyed it but never followed through with it in the end.

nekromantik 22nd February 2012 09:47 PM

The Sarah Connor Chronicles started to get quite good actually.
Neither it or Dollhouse were in the league of Lost, Supernatural, Game of Thrones, Homeland etc

I was really really surprised at just how good Homeland was! Its not sci fi or horror but for a action drama it was excellent and I cannot wait for Season 2!!

keirarts 22nd February 2012 09:53 PM

Deadly spawn on blu-ray arrived today. Confirmed my belief that some movies are better left to dvd. Its not a bad disc by any means It's just some low budget cult movies like this and maniac (especially ones shot on the cheap) don't warrent the hi-def treatment it shows up too many of the flaws previously masked on vhs and dvd. I think a lot of fans might be better served waiting for the arrow dvd.

I'm probably going to get a lot of disagreements over this but I would suggest some cult releaseing companies might be better avoiding the blu-ray format or at least being more selective about the titles, its a step too far for some films. :(

PaulD 22nd February 2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 219076)
Deadly spawn on blu-ray arrived today. Confirmed my belief that some movies are better left to dvd. Its not a bad disc by any means It's just some low budget cult movies like this and maniac (especially ones shot on the cheap) don't warrent the hi-def treatment it shows up too many of the flaws previously masked on vhs and dvd. I think a lot of fans might be better served waiting for the arrow dvd.

I'm probably going to get a lot of disagreements over this but I would suggest some cult releaseing companies might be better avoiding the blu-ray format or at least being more selective about the titles, its a step too far for some films. :(

If that's the Millennium edition then it's been DNR-ed to death, resulting in a smeary waxy look.

And yes, I disagree with the point I've quoted in bold ; by the same token there'd be no point seeing cult films on 35mm on the big screen. Any cult film shot on film can look incredible on bluray even if it was 'shot on the cheap', as long as the transfer's been done correctly.