Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Linbro 20th June 2019 11:19 PM

I have a Panasonic 4k player, which is awesome, and the 'Top Menu' trick works for a number of region locked titles - but I now have a few that won't unlock. So, I picked up a modified Sony player from a local seller.

gag 21st June 2019 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All from cex, all 3 films £2 each, not seen any so any opinions ?
Shadow of mordor £5 any good ?
Just wanted a cheap game to play, bought Tomb raiders definitive edition few week back, really enjoyed it but finished it now.
Still playing red dead II but I just keep dipping in out of that.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st June 2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 605622)
Arrived today.

Attachment 216130Attachment 216131Attachment 216132

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

I love the Toy Story films – where did you buy them? I think it's really annoying that the UK is left behind in the 4K market and so many really good films are released on Ultra HD Blu-ray in the US but not here.

Prince_Vajda 21st June 2019 03:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some of today's arrivals.

/// Arrow sale.
Attachment 216228

/// German mediabooks.
Attachment 216229

bleakshaun 21st June 2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 605861)
All from cex, all 3 films £2 each, not seen any so any opinions ?

Shadow of mordor £5 any good ?

Just wanted a cheap game to play, bought Tomb raiders definitive edition few week back, really enjoyed it but finished it now.

Still playing red dead II but I just keep dipping in out of that.

Shadow of Mordor is a masterpiece of a game

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

monkeypedro 22nd June 2019 12:49 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Banana Splits & Tom of Finland - Cex
Iceman & Conan The Destroyer - Asda
The Fosters Season 1 &2 - Network
Ulysses 31 - Ebay
Anime box sets - Music Magpie
The Nice Guys - Poundland
James Stewart Box Set, Tootsie, Dark Crystal & Black Joy - Zoom
Arrietty & Wind Rises Steelbooks - Zavvi
Predator 4K Trilogy, Harakiri, Megatime Squad, Go To Hell Bastards & Class of 1999 - Facebook
Attack of the Lederhosen Zombies, Smooth Talk & Blood on Satans Claw - ClassicFilmsDirect

monkeypedro 22nd June 2019 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Purchases from the market this morning.

Rik 22nd June 2019 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Came home from teaching to find this waiting for me, £22 delivered from Rarewaves on eBay, only took three weeks to get here :lol:

Attachment 216264

SymbioticFunction 22nd June 2019 01:33 PM

Received UK Hannibal Lecter blu-ray collection today. Checked Hannibal and it does have the correct framing (yay! my old copy was vertically stretched with top information missing). Kinda odd that there's two different blu-ray versions in the marketplace with no way of knowing which one you'll end up with.

It was a similar thing with the UK bds of Get Carter (there's copies with dodgy altered dialogue at the start). Am curious to also watch Red Dragon again. At the risk of sounding like a right ol' snob, it slightly amused me to see 'A Brett Ratner film' on the front cover (he's no Michael Mann or Ridley Scott is he?). :)

Rik 22nd June 2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 605956)
Received UK Hannibal Lecter blu-ray collection today. Checked Hannibal and it does have the correct framing (yay! my old copy was vertically stretched with top information missing). Kinda odd that there's two different blu-ray versions in the marketplace with no way of knowing which one you'll end up with.

It was a similar thing with the UK bds of Get Carter (there's copies with dodgy altered dialogue at the start). Am curious to also watch Red Dragon again. At the risk of sounding like a right ol' snob, it slightly amused me to see 'A Brett Ratner film' on the front cover (he's no Michael Mann or Ridley Scott is he?). :)

I prefer Red Dragon to Manhunter, purely because they got the ending right and I never liked Brian Cox as Hannibal Lektor (why spell his name wrong!!).
I do like Manhunter BTW :nod:

Deadite 22nd June 2019 01:46 PM

I think that at treb or monkeypedro rates of buying i'd run out of storage space in about 2 weeks. :lol:

Rik 22nd June 2019 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 605958)
I think that at treb or monkeypedro rates of buying i'd run out of storage space in about 2 weeks. :lol:

They buy more in a week than I do in a year! :lol:

monkeypedro 22nd June 2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 605958)

I am constantly selling dvds/blurays and giving some to charity shops to make room for the new stuff as have nearly run out of wall space in my movie room.

SymbioticFunction 22nd June 2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 605957)
I prefer Red Dragon to Manhunter, purely because they got the ending right and I never liked Brian Cox as Hannibal Lektor (why spell his name wrong!!).
I do like Manhunter BTW :nod:

The different spelling is very odd. It seems like such a pointless alteration. It's like Kubrick changing the room number in The Shining. You wonder why they bothered to do it. :)

Rik 22nd June 2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 605961)
The different spelling is very odd. It seems like such a pointless alteration. It's like Kubrick changing the room number in The Shining. You wonder why they bothered to do it. :)

That was because the Hotel where they filmed the exteriors didn’t want people not checking into room 217 because of the film, so they used the none existent 237 instead :nod:

markchro 22nd June 2019 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of titles from the Arrow Sale.

MrBarlow 23rd June 2019 12:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Aoparantly i have ordered these over the weekend while heavily toxicated according to Angie:lol:

Linbro 23rd June 2019 09:41 PM

'The Silence of the Lambs' Criterion bluray, still sealed, from ebay.
'Goodfellas' 4k
'Blood Simple' bluray

'Touch of Evil' and 'The Third Man', Eureka blurays.

Was also going to get the local release of 'Taxi Driver', but Sony have announced a 4k of it, so will wait for that.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd June 2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linbro (Post 606059)
'The Silence of the Lambs' Criterion bluray, still sealed, from ebay.
'Goodfellas' 4k
'Blood Simple' bluray

'Touch of Evil' and 'The Third Man', Eureka blurays.

Was also going to get the local release of 'Taxi Driver', but Sony have announced a 4k of it, so will wait for that.

Pure five star quality all the way there, Linbro. :clap:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th June 2019 07:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
From five star quality to, er...

Attachment 216284 Attachment 216285 Attachment 216286

Ordered from Diabolik

Nordicdusk 24th June 2019 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 606070)
From five star quality to, er...

Attachment 216284 Attachment 216285 Attachment 216286

Ordered from Diabolik

How much are the Fulci titles on Diabolik they are 40 on amazon uk

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th June 2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 606074)

$32.99 each.

Justin101 24th June 2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 606074)

Try WowHD, you have to pay your local taxes ahead of time but ZFE cost me around £30-32 when it first came out, I'm about to see how much NYR costs for myself.

Justin101 24th June 2019 12:03 PM

New York Ripper is £35 tax included on WowHD

SymbioticFunction 24th June 2019 12:58 PM

Finally picked up a blu-ray of Train To Busan from Cex. Been meaning to pick it up for a while. I've seen it once before and liked it. Sunday afternoon viewing. :)

Justin101 24th June 2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 606091)
Finally picked up a blu-ray of Train To Busan from Cex. Been meaning to pick it up for a while. I've seen it once before and liked it. Sunday afternoon viewing. :)

I bought that in HMV a couple of weeks ago in the 2 for £13 offer, I was hoping to watch it tonight actually!

Nordicdusk 24th June 2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 606085)
Try WowHD, you have to pay your local taxes ahead of time but ZFE cost me around £30-32 when it first came out, I'm about to see how much NYR costs for myself.

€28 for Zombie much better price cheers Justin comes in at the same price as Diabolik just packaging the difference. Cheers B_E for the reply

trebor8273 24th June 2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 605863)
I love the Toy Story films – where did you buy them? I think it's really annoying that the UK is left behind in the 4K market and so many really good films are released on Ultra HD Blu-ray in the US but not here.

WowHD

Prince_Vajda 24th June 2019 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
/// Quite mediocre films, if I remember correctly, but who cares... it's Charles Bronson!

Attachment 216294

/// I know this sounds rather kinky, but this is my favourite cover for one of the best films ever made.

Attachment 216295

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th June 2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 606114)
€28 for Zombie much better price cheers Justin comes in at the same price as Diabolik just packaging the difference. Cheers B_E for the reply

No worries. Just a warning that Wow ship everything in flimsy cardboard mailers. I personally haven't had any serious issues with their packaging, but it's not the best if you're ordering releases that come in digipacks or that have slipcovers.

Personally, I'm happy to pay the extra few bucks to Diabolik for peace of mind that my discs will arrive mint.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th June 2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 606091)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 606110)
I bought that in HMV a couple of weeks ago in the 2 for £13 offer, I was hoping to watch it tonight actually!

Really rate this one myself. :nod:

Rik 24th June 2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 606127)
No worries. Just a warning that Wow ship everything in flimsy cardboard mailers. I personally haven't had any serious issues with their packaging, but it's not the best if you're ordering releases that come in digipacks or that have slipcovers.

Personally, I'm happy to pay the extra few bucks to Diabolik for peace of mind that my discs will arrive mint.

I’ve never had an issue with anything arriving damaged from WOW, but I have had two items damaged from Diabolik, Grindhouse’s Cannibal Holocaust came with a crushed slipcase and Manchester Morgue had a ripped slip cover :nod:

Quick email fired off to them both times and they sent replacement covers free of charge, so I can’t complain :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th June 2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 606131)
I’ve never had an issue with anything arriving damaged from WOW, but I have had two items damaged from Diabolik, Grindhouse’s Cannibal Holocaust came with a crushed slipcase and Manchester Morgue had a ripped slip cover :nod:

Quick email fired off to them both times and they sent replacement covers free of charge, so I can’t complain :)

I've been ordering from Diabolik for years (they became my main source for obscure imports after Xploited Cinema ceased trading). The only issue I can recall having is when they accidentally sent me the wrong version of Franco's 99 Women. They quickly sent me the correct version and refunded me the postage on the other version before they even received it back.

Rik 24th June 2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 606133)
I've been ordering from Diabolik for years (they became my main source for obscure imports after Xploited Cinema ceased trading). The only issue I can recall having is when they accidentally sent me the wrong version of Franco's 99 Women. They quickly sent me the correct version and refunded me the postage on the other version before they even received it back.

I’ve used them a few times, and those two times are the only times anything went wrong and like I said, they sorted it without any hassle, I’ll definitely keep using them, but sometimes WOWHD come out cheaper and I’m a Yorkshireman :lol:

Prince_Vajda 24th June 2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 606134)
I’ve used them a few times, and those two times are the only times anything went wrong and like I said, they sorted it without any hassle, I’ll definitely keep using them, but sometimes WOWHD come out cheaper and I’m a Yorkshireman :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th June 2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 606134)

I only tend to use them for the more obscure stuff that I can't get from Wow - Code Red & Scorpion stuff mainly.

SymbioticFunction 25th June 2019 12:29 AM

Ordered the French blu-ray of Brides of Dracula. I currently own the UK bd and the 2.00:1 aspect ratio is incredibly annoying (loads of picture information missing from the bottom).

I know Final Cut only had access to a problematic US master but it really did seem quite shifty to describe the ratio as 16:9 on the back of the UK bd's cover.

btw Earlier today, somebody confirmed to me that subtitles are definitely not forced on the French blu-ray.

I'll still keep the Final Cut UK bd for the 30 minute making-of (I'll put it in a two disc amaray with the new bd).

Linbro 25th June 2019 02:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrived...

Susan Foreman 25th June 2019 01:48 PM

Fopp - DVD's - £3:00 each

The Conformist - Arrow Academy
Cabin Fever - Arrow 2016 version
Roger Waters: The Wall
Hatchet 4: Victor Crowley

trebor8273 25th June 2019 06:02 PM

8 Attachment(s)
From music magpie

Attachment 216310Attachment 216311Attachment 216312Attachment 216313Attachment 216314Attachment 216315Attachment 216316Attachment 216317

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk