Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Gojirosan 4th August 2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 263613)
:lol: He's probably not. Can't remember who it is, but like us, who want the grain preserved on films, there is someone here who wants all BD's to look like the Predator Ultimate Abomination disc. :D

:lol:

Yeah, you're probably thinking of me.

I don't actually want everything to look like Predator, but I am quite happy with some delicate DNR use to reduce grain, should grain be excessive or intrusive. And loss of tiny, minor detail can be an acceptable compromise to me, depending upon grain levels. Case by case basis.

I am perfectly OK with only being able to see 2 instead of 3 blackheads on someone's nose of it means grain levels don't irritate me.

I am also on record as saying that the screencaps I have seen of that version of Predator don't look so bad. Which they don't. Never seen the actual BD though, so it may well look awful.

Warts and all is a perfectly acceptable approach though, and I do understand why you lot adhere to it so mentally passionately! :tongue1:

ReturnToZero 4th August 2012 07:30 PM

Thats it! You mentioned "delicate" and "DNR" in the same sentence. You are so banned! :lol:

Too me BD is detail, but also colours and better audio, and DNR take that away from me and make things look more unnatural.

Blu-ray is the best format we have today to show whats really on the negatives and those digital manipulations is just a step in wrong direction.

Gojirosan 4th August 2012 07:34 PM

And yet - because I am a contradictory git - I HATE remixed audio tracks! You know, when they make a mono track into surround or something. Cleaning up the audio track is fine (if done well, which it isn't always!), but if a film was mono, I want it to stay in mono. Thankfully most BDs retain original soundtrack options.

ReturnToZero 4th August 2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 263623)
And yet - because I am a contradictory git - I HATE remixed audio tracks! You know, when they make a mono track into surround or something. Cleaning up the audio track is fine (if done well, which it isn't always!), but if a film was mono, I want it to stay in mono. Thankfully most BDs retain original soundtrack options.

I have a 2.1 system and is not so interested in surround systems at all so i agree with you on that point. I prefer stereo or mono :)

Gojirosan 4th August 2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 263627)
I have a 2.1 system and is not so interested in surround systems at all so i agree with you on that point. I prefer stereo or mono :)

Old fashioned, but high quality 2 channel stereo for me.

I don't even like surround sound in the cinema on films intended to be in surround. I find it extremely distracting.

Pete 4th August 2012 09:35 PM

Decided it was time for me to make my first steps into the Spaghetti West of Demofilo Fidani (aka Miles Deem), apparently the worst SW director of all. So I ordered this:

http://dv1.us/p1/313/131313-d0.jpg

keirarts 4th August 2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 263591)
I came home the other day to find a card from Royal Mail telling me I had something to pick up as there was a customs charge – £11.37 with handling charge – and went to the sorting office yesterday to find it was Burke & Hare and The Blood Beast Terror which had been packaged together.

The worst thing about that is its the royal mails 'handling fee's', I swear they must actively look for the stuff so they can fleece as many people as possible. My mate went to the post office, saw the parcel realised what it was and told the mail they could keep the f****g parcel, went home and reported it lost.

keirarts 4th August 2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 263543)
I forgot about that! :doh:

A few months ago it wouldn't have been a problem... I'll have to give in and buy a new all region player.

Remember the toshiba bdx1200 Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-Ray Player with BD Live: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

its very easy to hack, Toshiba BDX1200, regionfree DVD and multiregion BD | AVForums.com - UK Online

also.. hanging woman is great!! Not enough naschy perhaps but otherwise a great watch!

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th August 2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 263648)
Decided it was time for me to make my first steps into the Spaghetti West of Demofilo Fidani (aka Miles Deem), apparently the worst SW director of all. So I ordered this:

http://dv1.us/p1/313/131313-d0.jpg

Who is Hunt Powers?

Pete 4th August 2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 263652)
Remember the toshiba bdx1200 Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-Ray Player with BD Live: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

its very easy to hack, Toshiba BDX1200, regionfree DVD and multiregion BD | AVForums.com - UK Online

also.. hanging woman is great!! Not enough naschy perhaps but otherwise a great watch!

Cheers! I think I'll order one of them at the end of the month. I used to have one of those hackable Technika ones but it was absolutely shite and broke on me.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Frightened Woman so I'm looking forward to it.