Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

bdc 5th September 2010 07:14 PM

Having just watched Paranoiac on the UK bd,I'd say this looks very nice.
First time I watched this one and was pleasantly surprised,fun little chiller.
Oliver Reed's performance really stands out!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th September 2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 100366)
Especially for BE:
Here's a My Bloody Valentine comparison.
Hi-Def Reviews - Horror Digital

I'd say it's a shame Paramount didn't release an uncut director's cut version on blu because I actually really like the way their dvd looks.
The Lionsgate dvd and blu are less stable image wise it seems (possibly because of the hd mastering?).
I'd say the blu is a definite upgrade though since you get more depth in the image,a bonus in the mine corridors. ;)
The image on the bd also appears to look sharper than their dvd release.

Thanks for the link b. :thumb:

Maybe it's just me, but the Lionsgate DVD looks superior to the Blu from those screenshots. :confused: The Blu looks washed out and pretty grainy...

brain dead 5th September 2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 100376)
Thanks for the link b. :thumb:

Maybe it's just me, but the Lionsgate DVD looks superior to the Blu from those screenshots. :confused: The Blu looks washed out and pretty grainy...

I'll agree it looks a little light, but being grainy's not a bad thing. It's worlds better than the Lionsgate DVD.

Daemonia 6th September 2010 11:30 AM

Grain is good. :)

Daemonia 6th September 2010 12:21 PM

Deep Blue Sea (1999) - Picked this up on Blu-ray as I'm a sucker for films with killer sharks. This hasn't aged well though and some of the CGI is a bit ropey, but very much of its time. The story is about genetically mutated sharks that break free when a storm hits and the people aboard the scientific rig find themselves in a game of cat-and-mouse with the sharks. Thomas Jane is perfect in the lead and I enjoyed Samuel L. Jackson being eaten by a shark. :D

The Blu-ray looks as good as it should and Warner deliver another good transfer on Blu-ray. A guilty pleasure then, but I like it all the same. :)

In the Name of the King (2007) - I'd heard this wasn't a very good film, not surprisingly since it's directed by Uwe Boll, and it isn't. What Boll does is line up an impressive array of talent before the camera and proceeds to waste them. The story's a complete mess, the action scenes are fumbled a bit and the actors seem miscast. It looks impressive enough and some of the CGI is excellent, buit overall it's a mess of a movie. Jason Statham does his best, Ray Liotta gives his all but it's not enough to save the film, Burt Reynolds (as the King) just wanders around the film with a kind of 'What the f*ck am I doing here?' look on his face and delivering his lines in monosyllabic fashion and Matthew Lillard is so over the top in his whiny role I wanted to punch him in the face. Glad I only rented this on Blu-ray, take my advice, avoid it like the f*cking plague!!

Splinter (2008) - A young couple intent on camping under the stars make the mistake of picking up a hitch-hiker and suddenly find themselves hostages of a criminal on the run and his borderline psychotic girlfriend. When they pull into a gas station for supplies things quickly take a strange turn, when the gas station attendance appears, all twisted and deformed and attacks the crims squeeze, who also becomes infected. The couple and the criminal hole up in the gas station and fight for survival. I thought this was quite good, if no masterpiece. Glad I gave the Blu-ray a rent - which incidentally looks and sounds amazing.

Pathology (2008) - I was told this was a good film, but being sceptical, I rented it on Blu-ray rather than blind buying it. The story tells of a group of pathology/med students who play a macabre game in which they each kill someone by inventive, almost undetectable means and the others have to figure out how they did it. It's all a bit silly and I wasn't very impressed. Again, a great looking transfer - but a poor film, alas.

bdc 6th September 2010 06:49 PM

Watched Troma's Class of Nuke'em High bd yesterday and loved it.
Best this one has ever looked I guess.
Just don't expect a reference blu,there's grain (thankfully) and print damage pops up here and there but for an older,low budget production it looks quite good.

Class of Nuke 'Em High

Can't wait for Troma's bd of Surf Nazis Must Die! :popcorn:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th September 2010 07:05 PM

Arrow's INFERNO.Jesus,what a transfer!:shocked:One of the best I've seen yet,and let me assure you,that isn't nepotism talking.

Can't see anyone topping this package,no siree.
The docs,the interviews-all are top notch,so a big hats off to Calum and Naomi's HRP.:clap:

I've always said I prefer Suspiria,but after seeing this,I'm not so sure...Now that I know more about the three mothers backstory,Inferno is just as good.

I had always thought that Bava was behind the underwater scene,but apparently not.A sheer joy to behold in hi def,as is Argento's use of lurid bright colours.

For everyone who has preordered this-you're in for a treat!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th September 2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brain dead (Post 100398)
I'll agree it looks a little light, but being grainy's not a bad thing. It's worlds better than the Lionsgate DVD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 100426)
Grain is good. :)

Oh, I don't mind grain at all. ;)

It's just that from those screencaps, the DVD looks better quality than the Blu! :eek:

Good to know that the blu is better than the DVD, though bdc and bd. :thumb:

It's hard to tell sometimes when looking at these comparisons.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th September 2010 08:52 PM

I never trust screencaps.....they don't do Blu Ray justice.

However,if VIPCO were to go down the blu ray route,then I'd maybe check them out before buying.....:lol:

nekromantik 6th September 2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 100436)
Splinter (2008) - A young couple intent on camping under the stars make the mistake of picking up a hitch-hiker and suddenly find themselves hostages of a criminal on the run and his borderline psychotic girlfriend. When they pull into a gas station for supplies things quickly take a strange turn, when the gas station attendance appears, all twisted and deformed and attacks the crims squeeze, who also becomes infected. The couple and the criminal hole up in the gas station and fight for survival. I thought this was quite good, if no masterpiece. Glad I gave the Blu-ray a rent - which incidentally looks and sounds amazing.

I love Splinter :clap:
Awesome lil indie horror. The "monster" is awesome and the effects were pretty good.