Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436054)
I always think it's Teal'c from Stargate replying when you start your sentences with indeed. :tongue1:

I've never seen Stargate so don't get the reference I'm afraid!

Therefore, being completely oblivious, I shall take it as a huge compliment. :nod: :D ... I'm sure it was intended that way. ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 436055)
I've never seen Stargate so don't get the reference I'm afraid!

Therefore, being completely oblivious, I shall take it as a huge compliment. :nod: :D ... I'm sure it was intended that way. ;)

Oh yes. You wouldn't give any shit to Teal'c. No way.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436051)
Back in the glory days of Hollywood great romantic comedies were easy to find.

To me the final scene where Lemmon and McClaine finally get together seemed almost tacked on to give it a happy ending. They couldn't wait to get The End card onscreen, even before they'd finished speaking.

There are so many better rom coms from those days in my opinion. From Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House to You Can't Take it With You to The Philadelphia Story. Not to mention The Thin Man, Bringing Up Baby and His Girl Friday.

And those are just the tip of the ice berg.

There are countless great romantic comedies from that era, the best of which you have (mostly) listed – just about anything with Cary Grant, James Stewart, Katharine Hepburn, Rosalind Russell etc would qualify. A brief look at the Wikipedia list of classic screwball comedies is all you need!

Screwball comedy film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436056)
Oh yes. You wouldn't give any shit to Teal'c. No way.

That's what I like to hear!

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 436058)
That's what I like to hear!

If you enjoyed the Stargate film then you'd love the series as it's far better than it's big screen counterpart.

Frankenhooker 15th February 2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436051)
Back in the glory days of Hollywood great romantic comedies were easy to find.

To me the final scene where Lemmon and McClaine finally get together seemed almost tacked on to give it a happy ending. They couldn't wait to get The End card onscreen, even before they'd finished speaking.

There are so many better rom coms from those days in my opinion. From Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House to You Can't Take it With You to The Philadelphia Story. Not to mention The Thin Man, Bringing Up Baby and His Girl Friday.

And those are just the tip of the ice berg.

I totally agree about the office politics angle but not about it being an all time great romantic comedy.

Do they get together ? Personally, I think it's deliberately ambiguous, she seems very noncommittal, I think the ending is great as nobody knows what's around the corner and The Apartment's conclusion is a great example of that.

The Apartment is quite a dark film in it's own way.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436059)
If you enjoyed the Stargate film then you'd love the series as it's far better than it's big screen counterpart.

I haven't seen that either. My brother used to watch SG-1 - I caught bits of it now and then and what little I saw bored the pants off of me.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 436059)

I quite like the film, so I should probably find a way to watch the TV show, whether renting or streaming (it all depends on who has the rights).

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th February 2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 436068)
I quite like the film, so I should probably find a way to watch the TV show, whether renting or streaming (it all depends on who has the rights).

Well, Netflix has Stargate: SG-1 (all 10 seasons), Stargate: Atlantis and Stargate Universe, so that's a start!

I imagine I'll also like Farscape, so I've added it to my watchlist as well.

keirarts 15th February 2015 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 157063

It seems Anime is becoming piss cheap on blu in America for those prepared to wait. First I got SHIKI (the japanese Salems lot) and now this, which was less than a tenner!

God there's a lot of interesting titles.