Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

SharonLynette 3rd July 2012 05:56 PM

I'm lusting after a copy of "Psychomania" will there ever be a UK release or should I just get a US version? I just can't decide. I haven't seen it for a while so in a way I'd like a copy now.

GangsterQ 3rd July 2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 254996)
I'm lusting after a copy of "Psychomania" will there ever be a UK release or should I just get a US version? I just can't decide. I haven't seen it for a while so in a way I'd like a copy now.

Your new avatar is nice, mate. :cool:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd July 2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 254996)

I've been holding off on the US DVD, as apparently they were supposed to be working on a Blu-ray release. I do need Psychomania in my life, so I doubt whether it will be long 'til I crack.

SharonLynette 3rd July 2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GangsterQ (Post 254997)
Your new avatar is nice, mate. :cool:

haha cheers. I have to pull a face otherwise I look a bit sarky.

SharonLynette 3rd July 2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 254998)
I've been holding off on the US DVD, as apparently they were supposed to be working on a Blu-ray release. I do need Psychomania in my life, so I doubt whether it will be long 'til I crack.

I would prefer to wait, I've seen it so many times but I also need it badly. I would hold out for a blu-ray release :clap:

GangsterQ 3rd July 2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 254999)
haha cheers. I have to pull a face otherwise I look a bit sarky.

nice ska vest though... i see you are in the two tone-mood.

SharonLynette 3rd July 2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GangsterQ (Post 255001)
nice ska vest though... i see you are in the two tone-mood.

ska, well two tone and trad, it was my favourite music as a kid, (along with hair metal, thanks to my aunt) still love it. That jacket was an ebay buy.

GangsterQ 3rd July 2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 255002)
ska, well two tone and trad, it was my favourite music as a kid, (along with hair metal, thanks to my aunt) still love it. That jacket was an ebay buy.

hehe... well i love reggae and ska, mate. :P :)

Pete 3rd July 2012 06:13 PM

Just ordered the Italian DVD of the 3rd ATOR film.

http://dv1.us/p1/232/153232-d0.jpg

GangsterQ 3rd July 2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 255002)

but basically i was into hair metal as a kid, 18 years ago......

Hawkmonger 3rd July 2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 255005)
Just ordered the Italian DVD of the 3rd ATOR film.

http://dv1.us/p1/232/153232-d0.jpg

Interestingly, the best of the series was the only one NOT directed by Joe De'amato.

SharonLynette 3rd July 2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GangsterQ (Post 255006)

but basically i was into hair metal as a kid, 18 years ago......

You can't beat a bit of W.A.S.P., apart from say the politics these days. A bit too far right.

GangsterQ 3rd July 2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 255008)
You can't beat a bit of W.A.S.P., apart from say the politics these days. A bit too far right.

wassup... the new avatar is better. :);):laugh:

Pete 3rd July 2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 255007)
Interestingly, the best of the series was the only one NOT directed by Joe De'amato.

Haven't seen it but I'm becoming slightly obsessed with seeing as many Alfonso Brescia movies as I can. :loco:

The first one is a bit shit but I quite enjoyed the second one. There is a 4th but I haven't seen it.

Hawkmonger 3rd July 2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 255011)
Haven't seen it but I'm becoming slightly obsessed with seeing as many Alfonso Brescia movies as I can. :loco:

The first one is a bit shit but I quite enjoyed the second one. There is a 4th but I haven't seen it.

Come to think of it, wasn't Ator 3 the one on MST3K?:rolleyes:

Pete 3rd July 2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 255013)
Come to think of it, wasn't Ator 3 the one on MST3K?:rolleyes:

**** MST3K!

Hawkmonger 3rd July 2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 255014)
**** MST3K!

BOOOOOOOOO!
:lol:

bdc 3rd July 2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 254729)
Buyoyo,be advised that the dvd is oop and this is a dvd-r repress. ;)
In fact 3 out of the four pictured are dvd-r repressings.
Covers and cases are identical just the disc itself is a dvd-r.
Looks like they are taking the Warner,MGM etc route... :lol:

Btw don't know if the film itself is any good as I've never seen it.

Here's a pic of one of those (generic except for the label number applied with a marker) discs:

Be advised that The Complicated Raping Case dvd-r is either cut or badly authored and is missing a scene...just shows that dvd-r is not really the way to go...will be hunting down the oop dvd now.

Don't know if the other dvd-r's are ok but best not to order any of them until I've checked.

Pete 3rd July 2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 255015)
BOOOOOOOOO!
:lol:

I hate it. And I especially hate the way people will say a film is bad just because MST3K says it is. How about watching it without those ''hilarious'' characters and making your own mind up! (that is NOT a dig a you Hawk!) PHASE IV, DANGER: DIABOLIK and SQUIRM were featured on it and they are far from terrible films. The people who made the show could only dream of being on the same level as Bava.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd July 2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 255040)
I hate it. And I especially hate the way people will say a film is bad just because MST3K says it is. How about watching it without those ''hilarious'' characters and making your own mind up! (that is NOT a dig a you Hawk!) PHASE IV, DANGER: DIABOLIK and SQUIRM were featured on it and they are far from terrible films. The people who made the show could only dream of being on the same level as Bava.

I'm surprised Mystery Science Theatre still has an audience.

SharonLynette 3rd July 2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 255045)
I'm surprised Mystery Science Theatre still has an audience.

I'd say noooo. But in the way that it was the only way we would see the weird offerings. Now we get to buy them all on dvd :clap:

PaulD 3rd July 2012 07:21 PM

I like MST3K but also like a lot of the films mocked on it. I don't think the mocking's done in a sneery way, I think it's affectionate

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd July 2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 255057)
I like MST3K but also like a lot of the films mocked on it. I don't think the mocking's done in a sneery way, I think it's affectionate

I have never seen one myself, but i imagine they are simillar to Joe Bob Briggs, who laughs at and with the films showing affection for his subject.

bdc 3rd July 2012 07:31 PM

These arrived today... :biggrin:

People Who Own the Dark, The - Post-Apocalyptic Collection (1976) (Code Red)

Babysitter, The (1969) / Topless Story, The (1966) - Double Feature (Code Red)

Maria's "B" Movie Mayhem Double Feature (Code Red)
- Severed Arm, The (Uncut) (1973)
- So Sad About Gloria (1975)

Maria's "B" Movie Mayhem Double Feature (Code Red)
- Blood Mania (1970)
- Land of the Minotaur ( Devil's Men, The ) (1976)

http://dv1.us/p1/862/182862-d1.jpg http://dv1.us/p1/418/175418-d0.jpg

http://dv1.us/p1/969/174969-d0.jpg http://dv1.us/p1/097/184097-d0.jpg

Pete 3rd July 2012 07:33 PM

As I said it's the people who judge a film just because it's been on MST3K that really irritate me. Some haven't even seen the films but they have to be bad because MST3K says so! :rolleyes:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd July 2012 07:33 PM

I watched Blood Mania last night Bdc.

Talk about a title not representing its content. Now if it were called Boobs Mania it may have been different. :nod:

bdc 3rd July 2012 07:34 PM

It's all good Dem. ;)

g053584398 3rd July 2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 255066)
As I said it's the people who judge a film just because it's been on MST3K that really irritate me. Some haven't even seen the films but they have to be bad because MST3K says so! :rolleyes:

I agree Pete. But then the majority of people are reasonably weak willed and are easily influenced by their peers, by society in general, by the media and by the state; and therefore propaganda.

You only have to look at how the mainstream media report on foreign conflicts to see just how distorted the facts become, and you need to look to journalists like John Pilger in order to get the facts.

Yes I know we were talking about films to start with...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th July 2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

One of the many reasons I like MST3K is because they feature films I haven't seen and, whether they look terrible or pretty good, I always want to see them without the sarcastic one-liners.

Like PaulD said, I think the films are mocked in a loving way rather than being torn apart because they genuinely hate them.

Hawkmonger 4th July 2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

I love alot of the movies that have appeared on MST3K.
Escape from the Bronx, Pod People, Ator 3, Mole Men. I love them all.
I adore the show, because it was so charming and humoures. I'm a cynical old bastard and this is shown in my response to the show.

PaulD 4th July 2012 09:52 AM

Escape From The Bronx was on MST3K?!

Hawkmonger 4th July 2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 255167)
Escape From The Bronx was on MST3K?!

Under the title Escape 2000.

Gojirosan 4th July 2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 255040)

Exactly how I feel about it. I will add that the snarky remarks were usually not even slightly funny.

I found it patronising and rude.

At the end of the day, I don't want people talking over films!

Slippery Jack 4th July 2012 10:38 AM

Huzah! My Street Trash Meltdown edition just arrived :cool: Odd that the quote on the cover is from rock radio fella Tommy Vance :confused: . . .

Susan Foreman 4th July 2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 255173)
Huzah! My Street Trash Meltdown edition just arrived :cool: Odd that the quote on the cover is from rock radio fella Tommy Vance :confused: . . .

I remember him raving about the film many years ago, during an episode of his 'Friday Rock Show'

He sad it was the best "melt movie" he had ever seen!

Hawkmonger 4th July 2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 255172)
Exactly how I feel about it. I will add that the snarky remarks were usually not even slightly funny.

I found it patronising and rude.

At the end of the day, I don't want people talking over films!

You actualy WANT to watch The Head that Wouldn't Die?
I find that hard to believe, some movies ARE bad enough to take the micky out of. Interestingly, with the exeption of a few, most of the people affiliated with the movie's that where riffed where actualy rather happy about it.

Slippery Jack 4th July 2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 255174)
I remember him raving about the film many years ago, during an episode of his 'Friday Rock Show'

He sad it was the best "melt movie" he had ever seen!

:rockon:

I've got Body Melt on my lovefilm list. Any others . . . ?

Gojirosan 4th July 2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 255175)
You actualy WANT to watch The Head that Wouldn't Die?
I find that hard to believe, some movies ARE bad enough to take the micky out of. Interestingly, with the exeption of a few, most of the people affiliated with the movie's that where riffed where actualy rather happy about it.

Yes, and I want to watch it properly without self-appointed "comedians" prattling over the top of it. I want to form my own views and opinions.

Why did they never do anything with really bad films? Air Force One or The Rock or Signs or the like? They chose "easy targets" and acted like bullies.

I couldn't find it funny.

Oh and I have watched The Brain That Wouldn't Die, more than once and enjoyed it heartily. I think I own two copies of it.

Hawkmonger 4th July 2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 255178)
Yes, and I want to watch it properly without self-appointed "comedians" prattling over the top of it. I want to form my own views and opinions.

Why did they never do anything with really bad films? Air Force One or The Rock or Signs or the like? They chose "easy targets" and acted like bullies.

I couldn't find it funny.

I think your missing the point of the show.
They couldn't do any of the aformentined movies because some had not been released by that point (BTW), where very much in the public eye, where populare at the time, and where NOT in the public domain (like all the movies they DID review).
The show was intended to provide light hearted humour at no one's expence (even ADAM WEST complimented the show when they riffed his movie, Zombie Nightmare).
If you dont like it and want to watch your movies riff free, then that's fine by me, but I for one adored the show and still do.

Gojirosan 4th July 2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 255179)
I think your missing the point of the show.
They couldn't do any of the aformentined movies because some had not been released by that point (BTW), where very much in the public eye, where populare at the time, and where NOT in the public domain (like all the movies they DID review).

Phase IV, Squirm and Diabolik are in the Public Domain?