Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th April 2024 11:50 AM

You make me want to visit Cex now so i can buy a Scandi thriller. :lol:

The last two times i've been in there has been nothing worth even looking at never mind buying.

J Harker 1st May 2024 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A semi blind buy from HMV this afternoon.Attachment 250955

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st May 2024 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 698352)
A semi blind buy from HMV this afternoon.Attachment 250955

I enjoyed that. I actually bought it on dvd as it was a fiver in Asda rather than the fifteen quid it would cost on Blu when it first came out.

J Harker 1st May 2024 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 698359)
I enjoyed that. I actually bought it on dvd as it was a fiver in Asda rather than the fifteen quid it would cost on Blu when it first came out.

Down to ?9.99 now in HMV. It's currently streaming on Netflix and I watched about 20 minutes the other night. Enough to know it was well worth picking up. And one scene from early on really got under my skin. I want to say the scarecrow erection but that makes it sound like a totally different film. If you've seen it you'll know what i mean though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st May 2024 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 698364)
Down to ?9.99 now in HMV. It's currently streaming on Netflix and I watched about 20 minutes the other night. Enough to know it was well worth picking up. And one scene from early on really got under my skin. I want to say the scarecrow erection but that makes it sound like a totally different film. If you've seen it you'll know what i mean though.

I've only seen it the one time. I should watch it again. Anything with scarecrow erections has to be worth another watch.

It was only last year i saw it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681554)
Eight for Silver (2021)

Hugely enjoyable Gothic horror set in the late 1800's. Skillfully directed, written and filmed with some great performances by a cast of familiar faces.

It's all about the mood and atmosphere with spooky houses, fog bound woods, creepy scarecrows, oh and some very gruesome gore. It's refreshingly lacking in modern horror tropes and is more in line with 30's/40's Universal or Hammer horror especially in what it does with a classic monster.

Without giving too much away if you enjoyed films such as Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow or the Hughes bros From Hell then this might be up your street. It's so much up mine i'm looking at house prices.

It was originally titled and released at Sundance as Eight for Silver (It's correct British title) but was renamed as the less interesting The Cursed for it's US cinema release.

Susan Foreman 2nd May 2024 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 698364)
...one scene from early on really got under my skin. I want to say the scarecrow erection

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 698365)
Anything with scarecrow erections has to be worth another watch

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd May 2024 11:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Cex credit purchases yesterday. Pleased to get another Romero on Blu, especially for ?6. Hunter Killer and Deepwater Horizon are two films from the last decade i really enjoyed and should be great in HD whilst Uncharted is a blind buy that sounds a bit of fun.

Susan Foreman 2nd May 2024 05:37 PM

Charity shop

Cliff Richard triple set - 'The Young Ones' / 'Summer Holiday' / 'Wonderful Life' - UK$0.50p

gag 2nd May 2024 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 698413)
Charity shop

Cliff Richard triple set - 'The Young Ones' / 'Summer Holiday' / 'Wonderful Life' - UK$0.50p

My wife would love you, she only been going on lately about cliff Richard films.

iank 2nd May 2024 11:47 PM

Arrived:

https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...g?t=1691189081

Had it on DVD for decades and it deserves an upgrade. :nod: