Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Top Ten Tuesdays (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/13212-top-ten-tuesdays.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th March 2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 482990)
Ok then as an example. Does Raimi's The Evil Dead count? How about vampires? Are they considered occult?

I think you haven't seen much of this subject or you wouldn't think of things like Evil Dead. If you think it's an occult film then feel free to list it.

Vampires? Really? If it takes a Black Magic Rite to resurrect a vampire then yes, but Stoker had bugger all to do with the Occult.

I've put a subject up, you guys do a top ten of what you think, that's the beauty of it.

At least Keirarts and Fuzzy understand.

Don't worry, next week we'll go back to zombies again. :tongue1:

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th March 2016 10:17 AM

Perhaps i should re-title the subject

WITCHCRAFT AND THE DEVIL

Probably does not include vampires or Peppa pig, Mr. Harker.

J Harker 29th March 2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 482992)
I think you haven't seen much of this subject or you wouldn't think of things like Evil Dead. If you think it's an occult film then feel free to list it.

Vampires? Really? If it takes a Black Magic Rite to resurrect a vampire then yes, but Stoker had bugger all to do with the Occult.

I've put a subject up, you guys do a top ten of what you think, that's the beauty of it.

No the occult isn't a topic I'm particularly up on. While witchcraft clearly more specific i tend to thing of the occult as encompassing all sorts of weird and wonderful. In the case of the Evil Dead surely the neceonomicon exmortis is an occult tome? And at least one of Hammers Dracula sequels involved the count being resurrected by black magic. Dracula Has Risen From the Grave.
Hell if i recall Maniac Cop 3 involves voodoo!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th March 2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 482992)

Aren't zombies – at least in some films – created through a black magic rite?

J Harker 29th March 2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 482995)
Aren't zombies – at least in some films – created through a black magic rite?

Voodoo?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 29th March 2016 10:26 AM

Stop being mean to Dem - he'll be raiding the drinks cabinet at this rate! ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th March 2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 482994)
No the occult isn't a topic I'm particularly up on. While witchcraft clearly more specific i tend to thing of the occult as encompassing all sorts of weird and wonderful. In the case of the Evil Dead surely the neceonomicon exmortis is an occult tome? And at least one of Hammers Dracula sequels involved the count being resurrected by black magic.

I have no issue with a vampire being resurrected by the black arts.

The Necronomicon was a book written by an author as fiction to complement other works of fiction that featured it.

As for Voodoo? That's next week's topic.

J Harker 29th March 2016 10:31 AM

And as for bloody Peppa Pig I'm not stupid Dem! I know full well tv shows don't really count!

fuzzymctiger 29th March 2016 10:32 AM

I split mine up into two because when I saw witchcraft, I wanted to do a list of just witches, but witches in various variations, whether it be a stretch or classic or regional (Coraline being a bedlam, old term for witch, but still one of the scariest I've seen), where as when I read occult, I think the practice of witchcraft, or stuff to do with the devil and hell.

Whilst Harker's suggestions stray from the typical, I'm loving that some of them technically fit and would make a great topic for a piece of writing, because whilst the Evil Dead is usually considered a zombie movie, with instances of dead characters coming back to life and the title itself, it's technically occult, as it involves witchcraft and incantations bringing demons to this realm which in turn possess people. If you just said that on it's own, without any attachment to the Evil Dead, wouldn't that bring occult to mind immediately?

Vampires usually fall into their own genre however and I haven't seen any vampire films that focus prominently on the occult.

Peppa Pig on the other hand.... ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th March 2016 10:33 AM

Before anyone asks.

Pagan rites as seen in films like The Wicker Man have nothing to do with this weeks subject.