Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Top Ten Tuesdays (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/13212-top-ten-tuesdays.html)

Rik 4th May 2016 10:49 AM

Here we go, no particular order:
  • The Walking Dead
  • Kolchak: The Night Stalker
  • The X Files
  • Desperate Housewives (ex wife made me watch this, but I secretly enjoyed it too)
  • Twin Peaks
  • True Detective (series 1 only!)
  • The A Team
  • The Fall Guy
  • T J Hooker

Others that could've made the list include Knight Rider, Streethawk, Macgyver, Magnum P.I, Hannibal, Masters of Horror, Tales From the Crypt

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th May 2016 12:42 PM

I can do a a top 10 American comedy shows, but I have to ignore my previous criteria of only including series which are finished.

In no particular order:
  • The Simpsons
  • South Park
  • Futurama
  • Seinfeld
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm
  • Scrubs
  • Archer
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • Arrested Development
  • 30 Rock
  • Flight of the Conchords

Actually, only four of the shows (The Simpsons, South Park, Archer, and The Big Bang Theory are still going. I was really tempted to include Frasier and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but can't think of which ones they would replace. I've only seen the first season of That '70s Show and thought it was brilliant, so need to watch all the other seasons.

J Harker 4th May 2016 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 488535)
I can do a a top 10 American comedy shows, but I have to ignore my previous criteria of only including series which are finished.

In no particular order:
  • The Simpsons
  • South Park
  • Futurama
  • Seinfeld
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm
  • Scrubs
  • Archer
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • Arrested Development
  • 30 Rock

Actually, only four of the shows (The Simpsons, South Park, Archer, and The Big Bang Theory are still going. I was really tempted to include Frasier and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but can't think of which ones they would replace. I've only seen the first season of That '70s Show and thought it was brilliant, so need to watch all the other seasons.

No Friends? Probably the only American comedy I'd consider for a top ten. Maybe Two and a Half Men but that went to pieces when they got rid of Charlie Sheen. I suppose the Simpsons i would include but tbh i don't really think of it as a comedy.

fuzzymctiger 4th May 2016 01:57 PM

Back to American Horror Story to reply to the rest, Coven is great fun but seems to go in circles, but I reckon a lot here would like it.
The first season is really really good and I'd recommend it to anyone.
The second season has likable elements but is a pretty big mess and the ending was absolutely terrible, and Im talking the ending to pretty much every character arc in the show.
Season 4 is woeful. No proper character or plot progression. All the good characters die. Jessica Lange gives the worst performance of her career. The only redeeming feature disappears a few episodes in. Too many hateble characters.
Season 5 takes the first season and pisses on its subtlety and ramps everything up into one of the most enjoyable seasons of TV I've ever seen. An amazing diverse cast give perfect performances as fascinating characters, multiple very interesting plot lines run side by side and intertwine brilliantly, and something quite rare for this show, the ending is perfect and left nothing to be desired.

I'm surprised more here haven't given it a go. I could easily understand why someone who has started would give up, my dad and I are the only people I know who continued to 5, and even then it took prompting on my part to even give season 5 a go, because I like haunted hotels and had a good feeling.

J Harker 4th May 2016 02:00 PM

I've seen the first season. I enjoyed it but wouldn't say it was great. Your comments don't inspire me to bother with the rest.

fuzzymctiger 4th May 2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 488535)

In no particular order:
  • The Simpsons
  • South Park
  • Futurama
  • Seinfeld
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm
  • Scrubs
  • Archer
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • Arrested Development
  • 30 Rock

(Disclaimer: I am prepared to cop A LOT of flack for this)

I'm always surpised by the opinions on US comedy, but more often than not I find I'm the one with unpopular opinions.

In my opinion:
South Park is only good when its current with events and the older seasons have dated terribly and most references fall flat.
Sienfield is the most overrated show ever and I have never laughed at it once.
The Big Bang Theory is absolutely painful and artificial and it shocks me so many people find it funny. Sure I don't find Sienfield funny but I can appreciate how others would. This however, I do not know.

Is there something I'm missing? I love classic Simpsons and all of Futurama, and I howl laughing at Parks and Recreation and Brooklyn Nine Nine, and the US Office certainly has its great moments. Probably should also say I quite enjoy Friends when its on.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th May 2016 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 488536)
No Friends? Probably the only American comedy I'd consider for a top ten. Maybe Two and a Half Men but that went to pieces when they got rid of Charlie Sheen. I suppose the Simpsons i would include but tbh i don't really think of it as a comedy.

Although I watched quite a few seasons when it was first broadcast – it was on the same evening as ER – I never warmed to Friends (the characters annoyed me and didn't particularly like any of them) and haven't seen a single episode in many years. It might be something I'll revisit when I have time and possibly buy the boxset if it's cheap enough, but I have plenty to watch before then.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th May 2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 488541)
(Disclaimer: I am prepared to cop A LOT of flack for this)

I'm always surpised by the opinions on US comedy, but more often than not I find I'm the one with unpopular opinions.

In my opinion:
South Park is only good when its current with events and the older seasons have dated terribly and most references fall flat.
Sienfield is the most overrated show ever and I have never laughed at it once.
The Big Bang Theory is absolutely painful and artificial and it shocks me so many people find it funny. Sure I don't find Sienfield funny but I can appreciate how others would. This however, I do not know.

Is there something I'm missing? I love classic Simpsons and all of Futurama, and I howl laughing at Parks and Recreation and Brooklyn Nine Nine, and the US Office certainly has its great moments. Probably should also say I quite enjoy Friends when its on.

Perhaps more so than any other genre, comedy is completely subjective and what will have one person in hysterics will have someone else sitting stonefaced and wondering what the hell is supposed to be so funny.

fuzzymctiger 4th May 2016 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 488549)
Perhaps more so than any other genre, comedy is completely subjective and what will have one person in hysterics will have someone else sitting stonefaced and wondering what the hell is supposed to be so funny.

Very good point actually Nos. Explains why I've got friends who stand by the American Pie films being the pinnacle of comedy whilst not laughing at all during any Edgar Wright films.

Hope my opinions haven't upset anyone then :pray:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th May 2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 488550)
Very good point actually Nos. Explains why I've got friends who stand by the American Pie films being the pinnacle of comedy whilst not laughing at all during any Edgar Wright films.

Hope my opinions haven't upset anyone then :pray:

Not at all. I don't think there are any comedy films which are universally accepted as being funny. Even the 'masterpieces' of comedic filmmaking (Some Like It Hot, for example) leave some people cold.