Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Top Ten Tuesdays (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/13212-top-ten-tuesdays.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th August 2016 11:44 AM

Actually, I have 15 films about alcohol or alcoholics, so may do a separate top 10 about Prohibition.

nosferatu42 16th August 2016 12:49 PM

And just to break with routine here are my Alcohol films.;)

Withnail And I
Animal House
Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?
The Worlds End
Shaun Of The Dead
The Shining
The Man Who Fell To Earth
Wake In Fright
Educating Rita
Grabbers
The Untouchables

And a quick mention for "Them Thar Hills" a brilliant half measure of Laurel and Hardy. :pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th August 2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 501676)
And just to break with routine here are my Alcohol films.;)

The Untouchables

And a quick mention for "Them Thar Hills" a brilliant half measure of Laurel and Hardy. :pop2:

Is there alcohol in The Untouchables?

I love the film but don't recall much boozing, especially given the subject.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th August 2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 501687)
Is there alcohol in The Untouchables?

I love the film but don't recall much boozing, especially given the subject.

As it's all to do with Eliot Ness and his efforts to bring down Al Capone's illegal liquor business during Prohibition-era America, it is all to do with the control of alcohol, and people wishing to consume the illegal substance.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th August 2016 02:54 PM

As I mentioned earlier, I tried to avoid Prohibition, but found making a list of only 10 films about alcohol or an alcoholic/alcoholics very difficult, so this is my top 15:
  • Withnail and I – I don't think I need to explain why this is about alcohol
  • The Thin Man – Nick is basically a functioning alcoholic in this and the sequels
  • Leaving Las Vegas – a film about an alcoholic trying to drink himself to death, and a surprisingly moving and uplifting one
  • Bad Santa – one of my favourite film alcoholics
  • Sideways – I've never wanted to drink Pinot Noir as much as when I first saw this!
  • Ice Cold in Alex – I want a cold glass of lager every time I watch this
  • The Lost Weekend – perhaps the greatest film portrayal of a man in the grips of alcohol addiction
  • Grabbers – another film about a barely functioning alcoholic, but also one with a fully functioning alcoholic and how the toxicity of the chemical is crucial for survival
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas – alcohol isn't the main substance which Raoul Duke and his similarly inebriated colleague consume, but it is part of the concoction which makes this such a fascinating story and character study
  • The Big Lebowski – I hadn't heard of the White Russian drink before watching this, but it wasn't long before I drank one
  • Crazy Heart – Jeff Bridges again, this time playing a barely functioning alcoholic, with alcohol crucial to the storyline and his relationships
  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? – Some of the most poisonous and cutting dialogue ever committed to celluloid in this film, largely made possible because 'in vino veritas'
  • Rio Bravo – alcohol may not be the first thing which comes to mind when you think of this superlative Western, but Dude's alcoholism is crucial to events and why things mean so much to everyone involved
  • The Shining – I prefer the idea of Jack Torrance as a recovering alcoholic who falls off the wagon and is driven to breaking point by cabin fever to Stephen King's reasoning for why he decides to murder his family
  • City Lights – it's not necessarily all about alcohol, but the interplay between 'The Tramp' and the inebriated millionaire, particularly by the riverside when the millionaire tries to kill himself and, after failing, takes his new friend on a whirlwind trip around town is wonderful

Nordicdusk 16th August 2016 04:55 PM

Its a genuine shock this weeks topic was not an idea from Dem or Harker :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th August 2016 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 501706)
Its a genuine shock this weeks topic was not an idea from Dem or Harker :lol:

I have no booze left. I feel like Withnail after a bit of a binge. I drank it all whilst waiting for the next promised installment of the Bela Lugosi thread.

I've been tee-total for three months.

nosferatu42 16th August 2016 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 501689)
As it's all to do with Eliot Ness and his efforts to bring down Al Capone's illegal liquor business during Prohibition-era America, it is all to do with the control of alcohol, and people wishing to consume the illegal substance.

What Nos no.1 said Dem.:nod:

Susan Foreman 16th August 2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 501707)
I have no booze left. I feel like Withnail after a bit of a binge. I drank it all whilst waiting for the next promised installment of the Bela Lugosi thread.

I've been tee-total for three months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MwOOY2qPlo

keirarts 16th August 2016 09:54 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Ok I'm TRYING to deal with films where alcohol is a specific focus of the plot.. I'm making my life difficult perhaps...

Attachment 181506 Attachment 181507

Attachment 181508 Attachment 181509

Attachment 181510 Attachment 181511

Attachment 181512 Attachment 181513

Attachment 181514 Attachment 181515