Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

keirarts 1st January 2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 561783)
The Limehouse Golem is another film on my never ending to watch list, looks and sounds like a film I’d enjoy so I think I’ll order myself a copy :nod:

I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent and say I thought limehouse golem was a bit boring

trebor8273 1st January 2018 08:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtTAhXuiRTc

Watched a few films over the last few days but this was by far the most enjoyable. Well acted and directed, also very atmospheric and creepy bordering on scary.excellent , a film that shows that good new horrors are still being made, after the likes of it follows and the Babadook I was wary, but this was far better than those. 9/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st January 2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 561602)
December 29th - The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)

I'm not going into any plot details here, no spoilers whatsoever. I'll just say this truly original horror film starring Emile Hirsch and the excellent as always Brian Cox was a riveting experience from it's opening moments. I found it tense and creepy, bordering on the scary, with a deliciously eerie ambiance to it throughout.

Possibly the best modern horror i've seen this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 561604)

In reality it should have hit cinemas with the fanfare far worse movies such as The Babadook and It Follows had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 561802)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtTAhXuiRTc

Watched a few films over the last few days but this was by far the most enjoyable. Well acted and directed, also very atmospheric and creepy bordering on scary.excellent , a film that shows that good new horrors are still being made, after the likes of it follows and the Babadook I was wary, but this was far better than those. 9/10

Now where have i seen Treb's review before? :lol:

trebor8273 1st January 2018 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 561807)
Now where have i seen Treb's review before? :lol:

Just proves how right your review was, is far superior to those two and it really should of gotten more recognition than those two which I found overrated and average at best( mind they are better than beyond the gates but that wouldn't be hard,a 2 hour film of a dog turd would be better).this is what a horror should be.

iank 2nd January 2018 07:23 AM

Deadly Strangers. A stranded young woman accepts a lift from a stranger in an area where a psychotic patient has just escaped from a nearby asylum. Hayley Mills and Simon Ward star in this agreeably enjoyable mid 70s British thriller that stands up pretty well, though I did see the ending coming. :xmastongue::santanukem:

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd January 2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 561819)
Deadly Strangers. A stranded young woman accepts a lift from a stranger in an area where a psychotic patient has just escaped from a nearby asylum. Hayley Mills and Simon Ward star in this agreeably enjoyable mid 70s British thriller that stands up pretty well, though I did see the ending coming. :xmastongue::santanukem:

Did you see this on an official dvd at all? Has it actually come out somewhere?

MacBlayne 2nd January 2018 10:42 AM

As per my regular New Year's tradition, I watched The Godfather on New Year's Eve, and part two the following night.

I can't say more than has been already said. These are beautifully crafted films that chronicle the history of the American family, and business.

Su-poib!

bleakshaun 2nd January 2018 12:34 PM

Master of the World
Vincent Price plays captain of a flying ship intent on ending war by destroying the military of the world by bombing the crap out of them. A group of people - an arms manufacturer; his daughter; her fiance and Charles Bronson are captured and try to stop him.
This is fun, Vincent Price is by far the best part of this film along with Bronson.
7/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd January 2018 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Their Finest (2016)

Gemma Arterton stars as a young woman recruited to the Propaganda and information war office to give their films some female perspective. Things escalate when she tries to tell the story of two sisters who helped with the evacuation of Dunkirk and what was a small propaganda piece escalates into a big budget colour production which even the Americans have their eye on.

I loved this drama. Much of the script is quite amusing especially when Bill Nighy's fading box office star with several vanity issues is introduced to the production, and yet the laughs are set amidst the frequent air raids on London and the tragedies that ensue.

Arterton who i think is quite underrated is terrific, as is Nighy. The rest of the cast boasts Sam Clafin, Rachael Stirling, Richard E Grant, Helen McCrory and Jeremy Irons, who are all suited to forties period drama. There are many issues the film deals with such as love and loss as well as sexism and of course the pro's and cons of war time propaganda films.

The end result is a funny, poignant and heartwarming piece of homegrown cinema (and perhaps surprisingly an excellent companion to Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk).

MacBlayne 2nd January 2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 561869)
Their Finest (2016)

Gemma Arterton stars as a young woman recruited to the Propaganda and information war office to give their films some female perspective. Things escalate when she tries to tell the story of two sisters who helped with the evacuation of Dunkirk and what was a small propaganda piece escalates into a big budget colour production which even the Americans have their eye on.

I loved this drama. Much of the script is quite amusing especially when Bill Nighy's fading box office star with several vanity issues is introduced to the production, and yet the laughs are set amidst the frequent air raids on London and the tragedies that ensue.

Arterton who i think is quite underrated is terrific, as is Nighy. The rest of the cast boasts Sam Clafin, Rachael Stirling, Richard E Grant, Helen McCrory and Jeremy Irons, who are all suited to forties period drama. There are many issues the film deals with such as love and loss as well as sexism and of course the pro's and cons of war time propaganda films.

The end result is a funny, poignant and heartwarming piece of homegrown cinema (and perhaps surprisingly an excellent companion to Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk).

This sounds like a lovely film.

Fully agree with you about Arterton. She's an amazing actress, who is sadly overlooked. However, this may be by her design. She seems to favour doing smaller films. I read rumours that she had a horrible time doing the big-budget Prince Of Persia film, so perhaps she would rather work on films that have a clear goal.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd January 2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 561873)
This sounds like a lovely film.

Fully agree with you about Arterton. She's an amazing actress, who is sadly overlooked. However, this may be by her design. She seems to favour doing smaller films. I read rumours that she had a horrible time doing the big-budget Prince Of Persia film, so perhaps she would rather work on films that have a clear goal.

I really enjoyed it. One of the best 'new to me' films i saw during December.

I reckon i saw around 60.

bleakshaun 2nd January 2018 02:59 PM

Sinbad of the Seven Seas
Sinbad and his group of friends have to find 4 crystals to save the princess and defeat Jaffar.
Biggest regret of the year so far, cannon really scraped the bottom of the barrel with this, awful acting, sets and costumes, also Lou Ferrigno cannot act if he depended on it. The only 2 redeeming qualities in the film are John Stein hamming it up excessively and one sequence where sinbad and co fight an army of medieval ghost knights.
4/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd January 2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 561878)
Sinbad of the Seven Seas
Sinbad and his group of friends have to find 4 crystals to save the princess and defeat Jaffar.
Biggest regret of the year so far, cannon really scraped the bottom of the barrel with this, awful acting, sets and costumes, also Lou Ferrigno cannot act if he depended on it. The only 2 redeeming qualities in the film are John Stein hamming it up excessively and one sequence where sinbad and co fight an army of medieval ghost knights.
4/10

4/10 is very generous.

bleakshaun 2nd January 2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 561884)
4/10 is very generous.

Well.......I'm a generous guy, thankfully my plan to watch the cannon hercules film backfired thanks to a terrible signal on film4 when I recorded it months ago.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd January 2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 561885)
Well.......I'm a generous guy, thankfully my plan to watch the cannon hercules film backfired thanks to a terrible signal on film4 when I recorded it months ago.

I should be so lucky. I paid £7.99 for the 101 Films box set. Total waste of money.

bleakshaun 2nd January 2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 561886)
I should be so lucky. I paid £7.99 for the 101 Films box set. Total waste of money.

To be honest I was tempted to get it myself, after watching Sinbad I realized that was a smart move not too buy it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd January 2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 561887)
To be honest I was tempted to get it myself, after watching Sinbad I realized that was a smart move not too buy it.

All three films were atrocious.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd January 2018 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 561869)
Their Finest (2016)
Arterton who i think is quite underrated is terrific, as is Nighy.

They are both superb in the film, something I really enjoyed at the cinema and probably reviewed here, though I'm not 100% sure. I think the first thing I saw Gemma Arterton and recognised as a real talent was not as Strawberry Fields in Quantum of Solace but the titular kidnap victim in The Disappearance of Alice Creed. Bill Nighy is possibly the only factor on this planet who could make me laugh out loud by saying "semolina pudding".

bleakshaun 2nd January 2018 05:10 PM

Planet of the Sharks
The world is 98% water thanks to global warming, scientists are trying to fix the earth but are harassed by a school of sharks led by a super shark.
The asylum have done it again by making yet another cynical cash grab. Why I am torturing myself with tripe I have no clue.
Still it was more enjoyable than Sinbad so there is that.
5/10

Demoncrat 2nd January 2018 05:15 PM

Neon Maniacs (1986, Joseph Mangine)
Quite simply the oddest teen romance I have seen. After her friends are slaughtered by a bunch of 'maniacs', Natalie finds life a bit stressful. What with said troupe still after her guts and the townsfolk who keep demanding some 'answers', thankfully a budding attachment to the local geeky musician seems to be her only respite. But when a date turns into a flight for survival .... a reckoning is coming. High end second tier schlock ... with a few nasty treats. Shit ending though. Remake!! :laugh:

MrBarlow 2nd January 2018 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Haunting 1963

Dr John Markway is given the chance to investigate Hill House as he believes its the real only haunted house. Along with him is Eleanor Vince a shy timid woman grieving over her mum's death, Theo a psychic and Luke Sanders on who hope to inherit Hill House.

In this version there is no blood, gore or monsters just genuinely atmospheric moments that makes you wonder if there is a real Haunting or paranoia.

Based on the book by Shirley Jackson Robert Wise brings us this classic horror of what you can't see can scare you. What makes it more atmospheric is that the film is in black and white and the realm of the way the actors are, this is more psychological film than a horror film.

trebor8273 2nd January 2018 07:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJNYYkkhzc

Another blind buy and another pleasant surprise, a group of illusionist became the four horsemen men who end up pulling elaborate illusions/heists, a FBI agent sets out to bring them down along with a debunker of magic shows. The cast were great and lots of twists and turns ,two of which I didn't see coming , especially when we found out who brought them together . 8/10

Justin101 2nd January 2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 561890)
All three films were atrocious.

That's unfair I quite enjoyed the first Hercules, the 2nd though was awful and Sinbad too :lol: I sold my set to CEX

Justin101 2nd January 2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 561920)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzJNYYkkhzc

Another blind buy and another pleasant surprise, a group of illusionist became the four horsemen men who end up pulling elaborate illusions/heists, a FBI agent sets out to bring them down along with a debunker of magic shows. The cast were great and lots of twists and turns ,two of which I didn't see coming , especially when we found out who brought them together . 8/10

I enjoyed both of these, the 2nd is much too long though and suffers a bit from it. Great set pieces in both of them though.

trebor8273 2nd January 2018 08:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_TJKwJwN0E

Like those who only went to see this because Karen Gillian I only went too see it because of the Rock and I was glad I did, laugh out loud funny with great performances and characters , nice use of pop culture / gaming etc. As good a s everyone was Jack Black was my favourite with some of the best lines/scenes. Is it as good as the original maybe not but I had just as much fun and was just as good in my humble opinion. 8/10

Rik 2nd January 2018 08:30 PM

The Rock is the reason why I won’t watch it, can’t stand the guy and have no idea why he gets work :lol:

Each to their own and all that :nod:

trebor8273 2nd January 2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 561924)
The Rock is the reason why I won’t watch it, can’t stand the guy and have no idea why he gets work :lol:

To be honest I don't watch him for his acting ability!

Justin101 2nd January 2018 08:37 PM

I quite fancy Jumanji, but because of Nick Jonas :lol:

trebor8273 2nd January 2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 561926)
I quite fancy Jumanji, but because of Nick Jonas :lol:

Have you seen kingdom he was very good in that and as plus he has his top off a lot!

Rik 2nd January 2018 08:39 PM

Just finished watching Zombie Flesh Eaters for the millionth (not really) time, but the first time this year and also the first time with the commentary from Stephen Thrower and Alan Jones (who famously leaked the fact Arrow were releasing it all those years ago).
Nothing else really needs to be said about the film, we’ve all seen it, some of us love it, some of us can’t watch it without noticing the mistakes (cheers Dem :lol: ), and some of us nearly broke the forum when there was 6 seconds of boat missing :pound:

Gonna follow it up with another Fulci I reckon, probably COTLD or The Beyond (Grindhouse blu version) :nod:

Justin101 2nd January 2018 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 561927)
Have you seen kingdom he was very good in that and as plus he has his top off a lot!

I haven't seen it no, but I thought he was good in Scream Queens!

Justin101 2nd January 2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 561928)
Just finished watching Zombie Flesh Eaters for the millionth (not really) time, but the first time this year and also the first time with the commentary from Stephen Thrower and Alan Jones (who famously leaked the fact Arrow were releasing it all those years ago).
Nothing else really needs to be said about the film, we’ve all seen it, some of us love it, some of us can’t watch it without noticing the mistakes (cheers Dem :lol: ), and some of us nearly broke the forum when there was 6 seconds of boat missing :pound:

Gonna follow it up with another Fulci I reckon, probably COTLD or The Beyond (Grindhouse blu version) :nod:

I've never watched this with the commentary track, I'm going to give it a go!

iank 2nd January 2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 561829)
Did you see this on an official dvd at all? Has it actually come out somewhere?

I think there's one on ebay for about $30, but I got it off YouTube. ;)

Rik 2nd January 2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 561930)
I've never watched this with the commentary track, I'm going to give it a go!

It’s worth a listen, obviously Alan Jones has to bring Argento into it, but at least it’s in context :lol:

J Harker 2nd January 2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 561924)
The Rock is the reason why I won’t watch it, can’t stand the guy and have no idea why he gets work [emoji38]

Whaaaat? Dwayne has the charisma of a sheet of plywood....wait that's a good thing right?

MrBarlow 3rd January 2018 01:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Battle Royale 2000

In the future when education has failed the Japanese government created the B.R. act. A class is chosen by lottery. They are placed on a island and given three days to kill each other to there is only one left.

Based on the novel by Koushun Takami, that Japan's government tried to ban unsuccessfully and then the film it's easy to understand.

This is one of Japan's best movies, the killing are all different with the weapons the characters are given.

There have been some bad reviews about this film as it's bad, boring not much of a plot and stupid killings but I found this entertaining and the Americans are planning to do a remake.

MacBlayne 3rd January 2018 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 561943)
the Americans are planning to do a remake.

They already did. They called it The Hunger Games, because they Japanese studio wouldn't hand over the rights unless the film got a wide release first.

MrBarlow 3rd January 2018 05:55 AM

They already did. They called it The Hunger Games, because they Japanese studio wouldn't hand over the rights unless the film got a wide release first.

I know the films are similar but didn't think The Hunger Games was a remake, thanks for clarifying that MacBlayne

Susan Foreman 3rd January 2018 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 561943)
Battle Royale 2000

There have been some bad reviews about this film as it's bad, not much of a plot and stupid killings

What better recommendation do you need?

MacBlayne 3rd January 2018 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 561946)

I know the films are similar but didn't think The Hunger Games was a remake, thanks for clarifying that MacBlayne

Well, it's a persistent rumour more than anything else. For years, American studios were trying to get the rights to do a remake. However, Toei wouldn't give the rights as they requested a wide release of the original film first, believing that the smash hit success of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon meant that American audiences were willing to watch foreign cinema. New Line Cinema was the closest in securing the rights but passed, due to the increasing number of school shootings in the US.

When other studios tried to get the rights to the novel, author Koushun Takami insisted on a R rating. As the film was focused on a teenage cast, the studios wanted to do it PG-13.

Then, in 2008, The Hunger Games was released, with Lionsgate studios having optioned it before it was published. The writer, publishers, and studio have been extremely insistent that it was not influenced by Battle Royale, but by a news broadcast following young soldiers training for war.

Whether this is true or not, I don't know. Other authors (including Stephen King) have expressed dubiety over the origins, and its strong similarities with the film adaptation of Battle Royale. Battle Royale the film is rather different from the novel. The novel is set during an alternative history where Fascist Japan didn't lose the war, and used the tournament to suppress rebellious behaviour.

Whereas the film is set in the near future, and abandons the alternative history backstory. The film explores old peoples fear of the youth, as well as young peoples distrust of the elderly. Not only that, the film also uses the theme of media distraction - where mass media are used to build hype around the tournament to crush uprisings, not through force, but through manipulation and distraction.

Which is extremely similar to The Hunger Games.