Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th April 2008 09:50 PM

What Films Have You Seen Recently?

What have you bought recently?
I got the Troma dvd of GRADUATION DAY,30 DAYS OF NIGHT and MY DEAR KILLER in the post today,will watch them if I can stay off here long enough!:o

Matt 15th April 2008 08:12 AM

I had 'My Dear Killer' turn up on Saturday, picked up a stand-up comedy DVD by Demetri Martin called 'These Are Jokes' and am currently waiting on an import Juno. Also recently got review discs for 30 Days of Night and Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror.
I picked up the Rocky collection recently too and am waiting for the missus to finish her university disertation so we can get into it. Obviously the prospect of an evening with Clubber Lang is an exciting prospect. In fact, I may just skip right ahead to Rocky 3.

vipco 15th April 2008 02:49 PM

I haven't had much time for films lately and have a growing pile of unwatched films and barely played games due to the internet, so I watched SADOMANIA last night and intend to cut down on the internet and catch up on my films and games.
Tonight I plan to eventually get watching Hostel 2 on BluRay.

Angel 15th April 2008 04:09 PM

Watch out for the infamous blood bath scene in Hostel 2, Vipco. This entire scene had to be removed before the film could be classified in New Zealand and certainly it would have been removed here in the UK 10 years ago.

vipco 15th April 2008 05:22 PM

Thanks Angel, I loved the 1st film but I discovered ' the internet forum ' and my films and games have taken 2nd place and just piled up.
I got Hostel 1 & 2 really cheap on BluRay from my local game shop so decided to cut the internet down and enjoy my hobbies again.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th April 2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 2658)
I haven't had much time for films lately and have a growing pile of unwatched films and barely played games due to the internet, so I watched SADOMANIA last night and intend to cut down on the internet and catch up on my films and games.
Tonight I plan to eventually get watching Hostel 2 on BluRay.

Know what you mean mate.....I reckon I've over 2 bloody hundred to catch up on..........

Peter Neal 15th April 2008 05:40 PM

"Halloween" (2007): 3 disc limited Collector's Edition from Germany.:)
It comes in a nice box, offers the two cuts of the movie on seperate discs, plus an extra disc for the special features.
Very nice indeed!:popcorn:

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASI...nittberich5-21

"Maniac": 2 disc special edition from "Another World Entertainment":

It's uncut, it has all the extras from the US releases AND it also contains the rare "Maniac 2" showreel.

http://www.filmifriikki.fi/~qxtmx000...01408200700002

"Hatchet": 2 disc steelbook edition from Germany:

http://www.amazon.de/Hatchet-Special...8281164&sr=1-2

Peter Neal 15th April 2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 2666)
Watch out for the infamous blood bath scene in Hostel 2, Vipco. This entire scene had to be removed before the film could be classified in New Zealand and certainly it would have been removed here in the UK 10 years ago.

Huge chunks of it are missing in the German sellthrough version and it got the rental version (which is still cut by 7 secs!) into serious trouble with the German censors.....I know where the 80's are still alive:ack:;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th April 2008 05:50 PM

Peter,any chance of a pic of that AWE MANIAC cover mate?:)

Peter Neal 15th April 2008 05:56 PM

Follow the link and you'll see it.:)
It's nothing we haven't seen before, the classic cover art, which got censored on the UK DVD cover. For me at least, it's the definite DVD release of this personal fave...and I own already 3 different DVDs of "Maniac"

And now I'm off to watch something "Shameless"....:)

Vipco is absolutely right about the net eating up movie time....:p

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 15th April 2008 07:10 PM

Cheers mate......think I'll stick with the abus version and the Elite disc,this bloody thread is costing me a fortune....

bedorca 15th April 2008 07:20 PM

Recently picked up Street Law and the Big Racket.
Along with Shameless, I'm having a bit of a Euro crime run at the moment. :cool:

snipsmovies 15th April 2008 07:25 PM

Saw 'Welcome To The Jungle' today, it was released yesterday - not The Rock one.

It was ok. Young group of travellers go off into the jungle with a video camera and ......... well you can imagine the rest.

Bit of a Zombie Holocaust rip off - and no one can touch the hem of that baby's garment.

Peter Neal 15th April 2008 08:13 PM

"Welcome to the Jungle" was actually quite good....and if you're in for a really good deal for the true, original Itallian cannibal movies, then don't look any further than this marvelous 4 disc set from "Another World", containing some of the essential cannibal movies. They're a bit slim extra wise, but the pq is top notch and you can't beat that price tag: 29.95 Euro for uncut versions of

"Cannibal Holocaust", "Cannibal Ferox", "Mountain of the Cannibal God" and "Eaten Alive!" (though the latter has some dialogue bits shortened, but the gore is complete:D).

http://www.filmifriikki.fi/~tLS8x000...02008011600010

@reaper: I'd say with both, the ABUS AND the Elite disc, you're more than well served regarding "Maniac":cool:

kevxxx1 15th April 2008 09:59 PM

Watched in the last week and rated:

Welcome Home Soldier Boys - Obscure, OK but slow-moving
Open Your Eyes - Good, wish I hadn't seen Vanilla Sky first
Milan Calibre 9 - Enjoyable but not a keeper
Eijanaika - OK, slightly overrated
Yakuza's Law - ditto, gory
Night of Dark Shadows/House of Dark Shadows - Very, very slow, had to fast forward some parts, not good
Ong Bak - Excellent fighting sequences but overall so-so
Zeder/House with the Laughing Windows - Atmospheric but too slow for my taste
Hero/House of Flying Daggers - Very overrated, sumptuous to look at but hollow
Angel Guts collection - Nami very good, others forgettable
Hidden (Cache) - Extremely frustrating and annoying, almost anti-film
Razorback (S.E.) - Liked it 20 years ago, not so much now
The Skull (Legend Films) - Enjoyable Cushing/Lee effort
Days of Glory - OK french war movie with a message
Royal Hunt of the Sun - Well acted but stagey and boring
Rescue Dawn - Very good
Angel of Vengeance (new uncut French release) - Very good, had forgotten how good this was
Sex and Fury - Excellent
Massacre Mafia Style - Enjoyed this a lot, 70s violent exploitation with ideas above it's budget, needs a DVD release
The Good German - Technically very good but cold like all Soderbergh's films despite best efforts of cast

herman 17th April 2008 05:20 PM

recently bought THe Edwige Fenech School Teacher Collection - see blog linked in my sig for write up of all 3 films.

Also bought Motorpsycho - that one is recommeded.
Mondo mod and Endless Summer- 60s surf and stuff ( I enjoyed both)
To Be 20 (raro 2 disc)- two completely different films using same footage, both completely insane, highly recommended.
Black Cobra Box Set - so far seen part one, its good.

Angel 19th April 2008 06:10 AM

Mean Streets UK R2

Love the soundtrack and Keitel & Deniro are superb.

vincenzo 19th April 2008 10:18 AM

I love the scene of a plastered Keitel sliding to the ground during the doo-wop song ("Rubber Biscuit" by The Chips), and the use of Phil Spector tracks is brilliant.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th April 2008 05:45 PM

Okay,have went a bit mental this week:headbang:have bought:
STARSHIP TROOPERS R4 SE
SWEENY TODD R1 SE
HIGH SCHOOL HORROR TRIPLE R1 SHRIEK SHOW
MY DEAR KILLER BY YOU KNOW WHO
FRIGHTENED WOMAN BY YOU KNOW WHO
DECEMBER BOYS
FOOTLOOSE :blush:
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
30 DAYS OF NIGHT
THE CAR
THX 1138 R1
Will report on them as watched.....;)
Thankfully the missus don't know the price of dvd's.......:D

kevxxx1 19th April 2008 06:10 PM

Let us know if THE CAR is any different from the last release :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th April 2008 06:14 PM

Sorry mate,never seen it before,it's Universal I'm sure....

vincenzo 19th April 2008 06:20 PM

My most recent additions. As per usual a combination of VHS/DVDs.......

Salo (BFI DVD - deal of the week for £1 in a charity shop!) http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...es/biggrin.gif
Night Of The Living Dead (Cinema Club DVD)
Underworld: Evolution (DVD)
Fantastic Four (1-disc DVD)
March Of The Penguins (DVD)
Peeping Tom (inc trailer - WB Terror Vision VHS)
Walkabout (uncut widescreen VHS)
The Family Way (VHS)
Starman (VHS)
Cocoon (VHS)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th April 2008 06:28 PM

Walkabout is a treat to look at mate....I love aussie films,in fact let's start a thread......
How much did you get Peeping Tom for vince?
My warner Terror vision collection used to be my pride and joy......had the LOT!-Took me 2 years to track down Razorback and Hills have eyes 2,but I finally got 'em....packaging for that series was fab....only one I've got left is THE WICKER MAN:(

vincenzo 19th April 2008 06:36 PM

Peeping Tom cost me a staggering £1 in a charity shop. Actually I bought Walkabout and The Family Way at the same time, as it was 3 for £1. I can live with these things. http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...es/biggrin.gif

bedorca 19th April 2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 2976)

Salo (BFI DVD - deal of the week for £1 in a charity shop!) http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...es/biggrin.gif

:eek: Unbelievable!!! Name that chain!!!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th April 2008 06:49 PM

You got ALL the terror visions vince? the cards were the extras in the day of the vhs......wish I'd never sold my tv's now....:(

vincenzo 19th April 2008 06:58 PM

Salo was a non-excrement laden £1 in the Cats Protection League shop in Truro (which, if you say it loud, sounds even more bizarre than it was when I retrieved it). http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...es/biggrin.gif

I like the trailers on the old Terror Vision VHS releases too. Interestingly the version of Peeping Tom contains the brief shot of topless nudity during the final scene with Pamela Green lying on the bed. In fact, other than the DVD releases being widescreen & remastered, the print is identical (ie as near to uncut as we'll ever get).

I don't yet have all the Terror Vision releases (their Friday The 13th was the cut R-rated print) though the charity shops are getting regular visitations these days. http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...coolgleamA.gif

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th April 2008 03:13 PM

2010 I thought was a decent sequel to 2001,although not as visually stunning....the ending felt a little rushed though....:mad:

GRADUATION DAY DIR CUT A worthy slasher film,although it didn't take a genius to figure out who the killer was;)

GOODBYE CHARLIE BRIGHT STAND BY ME on a London housing scheme?Don't think so....a rather feeble effort from Nick Love,from whom we expect better violence!

DECEMBER BOYS An entertaining film which is closer to STAND BY ME....filmed in Australia by the coast,looks beautiful,and proves the Harry Potthead CAN act without his wand...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th April 2008 10:32 PM

Just watched....
THE CAR......daft but quite entertaining variation of DUEL...the music was identical to Kubrick's THE SHINING (opening) can anyone confirm if this is a piece of classical music,as it's not like Stan to pinch someone else's soundtrack.....

30 DAYS OF NIGHT.....What a tense feckin experience,you all need to see this NOW!:)

Matt 21st April 2008 08:22 AM

I picked up the Robocop trilogy for £10 this weekend. 'Citing

Angel 25th April 2008 06:32 AM

INSIDE R1 Unrated version

Great little horror film. Very violent and very bloody but also very tense and scary. Recommended.

Surprisingly no UK release as yet.

Delirium 25th April 2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 3375)
INSIDE R1 Unrated version

Great little horror film. Very violent and very bloody but also very tense and scary. Recommended.

Surprisingly no UK release as yet.

Seconded. This film (original title A'l'interieur) is one of the best I have seen in a long time. It's brutal, but beautiful - arthouse horror. One of the best i've seen in - years!

Delirium 25th April 2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 3052)

30 DAYS OF NIGHT.....What a tense feckin experience,you all need to see this NOW!:)

You liked 30 Days Reaps? I was incredibly let down to be honest.. those posey vampires did my head in. Way too glossy.

RobbieD 25th April 2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 3408)
Seconded. This film (original title A'l'interieur) is one of the best I have seen in a long time. It's brutal, but beautiful - arthouse horror. One of the best i've seen in - years!

Thirded. I got the R1 import too. Very, very good film. :) My last purchase was.... Nancy Drew! Of course I recommend it to everyone here. :D

Last blu-ray purchase... 30 Days of Night.

siccoyote 25th April 2008 02:50 PM

I bought Inspector Gadget 2 not that long ago and can report if you liked inspector gadget the original series then this one is not as offensive to your memory with a much much more faithful rendition of gadget and Penny than in the godawful original. Also the new (lady)Gadget "G2" is pretty hot too. Still could do with the Gadgetmobile being taken out of it though.

VideoFluffyBunny 25th April 2008 03:10 PM

Final Destination 2
The Story of Us
Waking Up in Reno

and a classic James Cagney Box set containing Angels with Dirty Faces,White Heat,Public Enemy and The Roaring 20's :D

vipco 25th April 2008 04:52 PM

As customs in N.I. is extra strict, importing can result in a 6am knock on your door with the offending dvd and a search warrant , but due to the kindness of a new friend the last film I got was a US Cannibal Ferox which was a vast improvement on my 12y old vhs copy, and UK dvd , especially when upscaled.
I know he reads the boards so i'd just like to thank him .
Cheers mate, you know who you are.

Next I plan to fill up my Shameless collection with the Zavvi deal.

mark meakin 27th April 2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 3409)
You liked 30 Days Reaps? I was incredibly let down to be honest.. those posey vampires did my head in. Way too glossy.

I'm with Reaper as I loved the movie too though all three of my brothers hated it:(.I also enjoyed The Mist.

mark meakin 27th April 2008 06:59 PM

I'm looking forward to Inside too & another french film called Frontiers/s.They've made some good films since Switchblade Romance though I also enjoyed the stylish Brotherhood Of The Wolf a few years back.

mark meakin 27th April 2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 2976)
My most recent additions. As per usual a combination of VHS/DVDs.......

Night Of The Living Dead (Cinema Club DVD)
Underworld: Evolution (DVD)
Fantastic Four (1-disc DVD)
March Of The Penguins (DVD)
Peeping Tom (inc trailer - WB Terror Vision VHS)
Walkabout (uncut widescreen VHS)
The Family Way (VHS)
Starman (VHS)
Cocoon (VHS)

Do you live in a mansion Vin as I'm struggling to find room for my new dvds never mind videos !:)