Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

vincenzo 27th April 2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 3978)
Do you live in a mansion Vin as I'm struggling to find room for my new dvds never mind videos !:)

I live in a cottage on the Cornish coast which I share with 2 cats and an adopted family of videos, DVDs, vinyl records, books, paintings and the odd snack. http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...coolgleamA.gif http://shameless-films.com/forums/im...es/biggrin.gif

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th May 2008 10:39 AM

Watched Bloodstained Shadow last night,good little giallo which was heavily influenced by Don't Look Now by the looks of it.....I now also know where John Williams got his inspiration for the JAWS theme.....

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th May 2008 10:43 AM

The HALLOWEEN remake is also worth a look btw,the only down side is that Zombie has done the 'trailer trash' characters,instead of characters you want to root for.....a compilation of horror stars cameos is also in abundence.....
Udo Keir....Brad Dourif....Danielle Harris....Clint Howard.....Dee Wallace....Ken Foree.....Danny Trejo...Sid Haig.....Sheree Moon..

Matt 4th May 2008 11:33 AM

I liked the Halloween remake, too. Good flick.

At the Dead By Dawn festival I picked up import 'Bloodsucking Freaks' (aka The Incredible Torture Show' , a more appropriate title) and 'Barn of the Naked Dead'. Watched Bloodsucking Freaks. It was... interesting. It's bizarre. I'm not sure that I liked it, necessarily, but I'm glad that I've seen it. It's also the anti-thesis of the current Frightened Woman competition. In fact, you could argue that it would benefit from a little less S & M.

At the airport on the way home I picked up Don't Answer The Phone. Not sure if it's cut, but for 2pounds it's quite hard to muster any care. Haven't got round to watching it yet (I have a mountain of 'to watch' DVD's at the moment. It's past the point of novelty now, and into 'I really can't buy anymore until I've seen...' territory)

Also, had a couple of Ninja Turtles DVD's turn up (I know, I'm cool. Perhaps too cool. I imagine once word gets out that I'm watching Ninja Turtles cartoons I'll have women knocking down my door...right?). Ratman turned up yesterday, too. Citing.

vincenzo 4th May 2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 4868)
I picked up Don't Answer The Phone. Not sure if it's cut, but for 2pounds it's quite hard to muster any care.

The UK Anchor Bay and U.S Rhino DVD's both feature the same heavily pre-cut print. The U.S BCI/Eclipse DVD is the uncut version.

siccoyote 4th May 2008 12:50 PM

if it's a pound or more I care if it's cut (that eliminates the 50 film box-sets)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th May 2008 10:21 PM

Just watched Code Red's release of BOARDING HOUSE......what an utter pile of shit!
Thank christ they invented the fast forward button...:puke:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th May 2008 10:27 PM

Also watched Body Count aka Camping Del Terrore (Deodato),even though it's reportedly cut,it's well worth a watch......;)

vincenzo 5th May 2008 10:33 PM

The Hollywood DVD is slightly pre-cut.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th May 2008 10:34 PM

Can't be much Vince.......

Angel 6th May 2008 06:07 AM

Only a few snips here and there but these cuts can be quite damaging (small as they are) seriously reducing the impact of the violence. I saw the uncut Australian video.

mark meakin 6th May 2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 4975)
Only a few snips here and there but these cuts can be quite damaging (small as they are) seriously reducing the impact of the violence. I saw the uncut Australian video.

The Zone Horror screening of Body Count looked intact to me though there was little to really cut.

vincenzo 6th May 2008 04:34 PM

Wasn't the old video cut to the scene where the girl is pulled across the broken mirror?

mark meakin 6th May 2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 4994)
Wasn't the old video cut to the scene where the girl is pulled across the broken mirror?

Also a bit of limb chopping too (or maybe a hand as I've forgot which !).

bedorca 6th May 2008 06:54 PM

Picked up Soavi's The Church today. Great film. Soaked in atmosphere
Really reluctant to pick certain titles on import due to this particular label ;)

VideoFluffyBunny 6th May 2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 4975)

According to dvd compare

" R2 Germany - (E-M-S) - Yes, 33s of various cuts have been made to violence in the film.
R2 United Kingdom - (Hollywood) - ?m ?s - Various cuts have been made to violence in the film (pre-cut before BBFC) "

When you see the DVD it is very noticeable in the mirror sequence.

I think there is a R4 which is also cut,no uncut DVD of this around unfortunately.:-(

Angel 7th May 2008 06:04 AM

I haven't seen the Hollywood DVD but always assumed it's cut as per the Braveworld 1987 video release (cut by 14s). The BBFC don't actually say that the latter release is the UK video version as cut, they just say "pre cut version" which is presumably the same thing. This is what the BBFC cut in 1987 -

At 10m - 2s shot of knife in girls hand, blood spurting out
At 25m - 5s shot of killer pulling girls head towards broken mirror
At 25m - 7s shot of glass cutting girls neck as killer pulls her through mirror

(Source:Is it uncut?)

Philleh 7th May 2008 07:37 AM

Caught up on my Severin catalogue this week.

Satan's Baby Doll
Malabimba
Sister of Ursula
Beast in Space (xxx and director's cut versions)

trench 25th May 2008 05:33 AM

Don't know whether this fits in or not, but I just picked up the Chan-Wook Park's Vengeance Trilogy. 20 quid from HMV, if you haven't seen them then you can't go wrong, if you have seen them then you know the score. Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, plus 3 discs of extras in one smart package, can't be bad to it.

vipco 25th May 2008 04:04 PM

Old Boy was very good but I haven't seen the other 2 films.
My friend lent me it as Asian films are his thing and I think he got it in the same box set .
The other 2 are defiantly worth a watch then Trench.?
As most of the stuff he's lent me were not my scene though Oldboy and some Korean war / ghost film he lent were defiantly worth the watch.

trench 25th May 2008 04:27 PM

I haven't yet seen the third installment, Lady Vengeance, and my memory of Mr. Vengeance is somewhat hazy but I remember thinking it was fantastic, if maybe a little slow. I think the general opinion is that Oldboy is probably the best of the three, but I'll reserve judgement. Oldboy's a different style of film than the other two I believe.

The single disc editions are available separately for ?5 and ?6, but you may end up loving the films and wish you'd paid the extra few quid to have them all with extras and stuff. Think I may go watch Mr. Vengeance now actually, get me in the mood for the other two.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th May 2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 6480)
Old Boy was very good but I haven't seen the other 2 films.
My friend lent me it as Asian films are his thing and I think he got it in the same box set .
The other 2 are defiantly worth a watch then Trench.?
As most of the stuff he's lent me were not my scene though Oldboy and some Korean war / ghost film he lent were defiantly worth the watch.

The film you're talking about is R-POINT mate......;)

vipco 25th May 2008 10:21 PM

That's right Reap's.
I dont normally go for Asian film, only Men Behind the Sun and Guinea pig, series, but even they dragged on after a while as they were in a foreign language and foreign sub's so I hadn't a clue what they were talking about in MBTS.

Got rid of them but thats another (weird) story.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th May 2008 11:19 PM

Just watched;
ALIEN VS PREDATOR REQUIEM.......a load of bollocks....so darkly shot,hard to see what's going on...(even on a 42'' wega)...sadly this franchise has demised into a computer game set up....1 out of 10:puke:

BACKWOODS......Tense and gripping thriller which is a STRAW DOGS wannabe and generally succeeds...good performances from the main cast.....8 out of 10:cool:

THE TROLLENBERG TERROR......Old monster mayhem set in the Swiss alps....the monster fx are now laughable,but entertaining film anyway....
6 out of 10 :)

vipco 26th May 2008 09:07 AM

The idea of AvP came from a computer game Reap's.
I think the 1st proper AvP game was on the Atari Jaguar and let you play as an alien, a predator or a marine in FPS style.
It was always gonna go back to its roots.

dougal 26th May 2008 09:55 AM

Versus

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 6498)
That's right Reap's.
I dont normally go for Asian film

Have you tried Versus? An absolutely brilliant slice of Japanese madness. Zombies, gansters, martial arts, swordfights, wirework, more gunfire than a fleet of Robert Rodrigues films and buckets of blood. And everything is so cool it's practically sub-zero - it makes The Matrix look like PeeWee Goes to Camp.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th May 2008 07:19 PM

Spot on mate......VERSUS is absolutely relentlessly MAD....:woot:

siccoyote 26th May 2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 6503)
BACKWOODS......Tense and gripping thriller which is a STRAW DOGS wannabe and generally succeeds...good performances from the main cast.....8 out of 10:cool:

Ah thought you said Blackwoods for a second, Uwe Boll's first film

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th May 2008 08:11 PM

No mate....you a Uwe Boll fan?

vipco 27th May 2008 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougal (Post 6511)
Have you tried Versus? An absolutely brilliant slice of Japanese madness. Zombies, gansters, martial arts, swordfights, wirework, more gunfire than a fleet of Robert Rodrigues films and buckets of blood. And everything is so cool it's practically sub-zero - it makes The Matrix look like PeeWee Goes to Camp.

I haven't . Most of the stuff my mate lends me are those white faced ghost stuff and I usually end up pretending I watched it.
He did lend me one on VHS were a vampire feeds of humand milk. Cant remember the name just that it was strange. .
Him and another mate are the only non Chinese I know allowed to join the Chinese video shop and the majority of there films are not BBFC rated. They've even go VCD's.

I'll check and see if he can get Versus and give it a watch but im not keen on wire stuff.

Watched The Host the other night and really enjoyed that.

Am gonna have to put film on hold for a mo and get stuck into the last couple of games I bought as i've been neglecting my gaming and been turning down invites to play so i'll have to chase em up.

Matt 27th May 2008 08:25 AM

Since Asian cinema has been brought up I'll throw in. I just ordered yesterday a film called Suicide Club. It's nuts but in a good way. Also ordered another film by the same director called Strange Circus which I've heard is good. Will be hunting for a good place to order the sequel to Suicide Club, which is called Noriko's Dinner Table.

vipco 29th May 2008 12:06 AM

I remember reading something about Suicide Club, cant remember what it was as I was searching for something else but I do remember the name.

Cant say i've heard of the others as im not big on Asian film, thats my mates speciality.

abaddon 29th May 2008 05:06 PM

Here's what I've watched in the last couple of weeks:

Deathproof - Too many slow, padded-out talky scenes between the good bits. Probably my least favourite Tarantino movie. 7/10
Virgin Witch - From the AB Tigon set. Much better than some reviews had led me to believe. 8/10
Eaten Alive - The Tobe Hooper one and not a patch on TCM, but still good fun. 8/10
Zombi 3 - As expected, crap compared to Zombi 2. Bad but unfortunately not so bad that its able to offer much in the way of unintentional humour. 5/10
Shoot 'Em Up - Really enjoyed this. Don't know why, it's just a mindless popcorn movie. 9/10
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade - Watched in preparation for taking my son to see the new one. Much better than I remember, nearly as good as the first one. 9/10
The Axe - Average revenge movie. Could have done with a more exploitation to go with the fairly tame violence. 6/10
Black Sheep - Plenty of fun, but could have been a lot better. Needed to decide if it was a comedy or a horror movie. 7/10
Night Train Murders - Been sat on my to-watch pile since it first came out and I'd been putting off seeing it, thinking it would be just another LHOTL rip-off and I'm not exactly a fan of LHOTL. But I really liked it. Far, far better than LHOTL. 9/10
Santa Sangre - Missed this when it was in print but found a cheap copy on eBay after discovering Jodorowsky through the Tartan box set (also highly recommended). More accessible than his other films, but doesn't loose anything. Thought it was simply brilliant. 10/10
30 Days Of Night - Best vampire movie in ages. I'm not normally a fan of modern style vampires, Rollin is more my sort of thing when it comes to pointy teeth, but this was great. Very tense. 9/10
SS Girls - Cheap and inept rip-off of Salon Kitty from Bruno Mattei. Enjoyable in a so bad it's good sort of way. 6/10
Flavia The Heretic - A naughty nun movie that is more than just a simple exploitation piece. 9/10
Stacy - aka Attack Of The Schoolgirl Zombies. Totally mental Japanese zombie love story moving featuring a chainsaw called Bruce Campbell's Right Hand and Romero Squads going round rekilling the zombies. Highly recommended. 9/10
Manhattan Baby - Not my favourite Fulci, but OK. 7/10

Cheers,
Abaddon.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th May 2008 05:26 PM

Yeah 30 DAYS OF NIGHT is a TENSE experience....highly recommended....anyone else seen it?

NossB 30th May 2008 03:02 PM

I've just ordered both versions of Beast In Space, a slow Friday afternoon at work will force you to do things like this. I also ordered the Shameless version of TORSO.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th May 2008 06:46 PM

Watched Wind Chill last night.....what start's off as quite promising soon degenerates into nonsense and a lousy ending that fails to deliver...4 out of 10....:(

steve 1st June 2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 6760)
Yeah 30 DAYS OF NIGHT is a TENSE experience....highly recommended....anyone else seen it?

Yes and I think it's superb. It is very tense and entertaining. The gore is great, occasionally shocking and surprising and the vampires are savage and completely terrifying.

For me most modern vampire films lack tension and have been disapointing and left me thinking the genre is dead but this films re-ignited my interest and I'm hoping it leads to some decent vampire films.

vipco 1st June 2008 12:06 PM

My friend lent me 30 DON and I must admit I set it on the shelf with no intention of watching it , as the last few modern films i've watched have disapointed me, but it seems to be highly thought of by people's opinions I respect so i'll definitely give it a watch before he calls back for it.
Thanks everyone, I nearly missed out there if it weren't for the good reports from all of you.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st June 2008 11:09 PM

Watched THE SENTINEL tonight....decent little ROSEMARY'S BABY clone....what a ****ing stellar cast!:cool:

NossB 2nd June 2008 12:40 PM

Just bought E.I's Women's Prison Massacre Uncut! double disk, it comes with Violence In A Women's Prison on disk two.

Again another slow day at work and access to Amazon will do things like this.