Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nekromantik 8th January 2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 208092)
MM not quite buying jj films realy
Not a star trek fan sorry but YAWN dull boring etc..
Pallbearer starring Gwyneth paltrow and David Schwimmer enough to make you wanna puke..please
Armaggedon.. sorry but pretty pants realy
Cloverfield ...not bad ..
Misson impossible not fan of the films films i mean ...mission impossible well obvioulsy it was they made another 3.:lol:. few actors i just cant take to and Tom Cruise is one..Not saying he a bad actor just not my cup of tea.. Rather avoid than watch his films

Wasnt till i wikipedia jj films i didnt know he did Joyride i quite liked that film..

He not a bad director etc apart from super 8 and joyride he hasnt done anything else that has realy wowed me or made me sit up and take notice..

I disagree very much so. Out of your list he did not direct Pallbearer that was Matt Reves, Cloverfield again Matt Reeves, Armageddon was Michael Bay.

He produced Paulbearer, Joyride/Roadkill and Cloverfield. He wrote Armageddon.

Yes Armageddon sucks but thats mostly as its a Bay film.
I loved MI4, Cloverfield, Star Trek, Roadkill and Super 8.
Most of all I LOVED Lost. Most EPIC TV show ever made!

pedromonkey 8th January 2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 208093)
I disagree very much so. Out of your list he did not direct Pallbearer that was Matt Reves, Cloverfield again Matt Reeves, Armageddon was Michael Bay.

He produced Paulbearer, Joyride/Roadkill and Cloverfield. He wrote Armageddon.

Yes Armageddon sucks but thats mostly as its a Bay film.
I loved MI4, Cloverfield, Star Trek, Roadkill and Super 8.
Most of all I LOVED Lost. Most EPIC TV show ever made!

A film only sucks if the script is poor, and the script for the above is poor, Michael Bay is visually a brilliant director he just chooses films with piss poor scripts. Think about this would Schindler's list be any different if it was directed by someone else. What if it still had the same screenplay but instead of Speilberg it was Brett Ratner, directors direct and unless they've written the film they, that's all they do. To say Armageddon is a crap film would be correct, but that is due to the script in which the film is based.

Alot of people bad mouth directors and sure some are bad but the majority of films that aren't written and directed by one person and turn out bad is all down to a guy sat a computer typing words.

nekromantik 8th January 2012 12:14 PM

well it was not written just by JJ it was also written by Jonathan Hensleigh. Who knows how much of the script was JJ. Apart from that none of the other movies JJ has produced or made are as bad as Armageddon.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2012 02:06 PM

The best thing JJ Abrams has done is Alias. :cool:

pedromonkey 8th January 2012 02:11 PM

watched a couple of films over the past few days...

A LONELY PLACE TO DIE: From the guys who gave us Rollin' With The Nines and Rise Of The Footsoldier comes a completely different kind of film, essentially a chase thriller set in the Scottish highlands. Very tense moments, some stunning cinematography and some really well staged actions scenes and stunts. Really enjoyed this and again Melissa George is really good.

ARENA: dunno if this was meant to got straight to dvd or to get a cinema release in the U.S but this was pretty decent action thriller about a fireman kidnapped by Samuel L.Jackson and forced to fight in a virtual combat arena to the death. Some pretty brutal fight scenes and a lot of pointless gratuitous nudity but a fair bit of fun to be had. Stupid ****ing ending though.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...qrJWbJLGY8m_4vhttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...25qzatibAgRLsQ

PaulD 8th January 2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 208094)
A film only sucks if the script is poor, and the script for the above is poor, Michael Bay is visually a brilliant director he just chooses films with piss poor scripts. Think about this would Schindler's list be any different if it was directed by someone else. What if it still had the same screenplay but instead of Speilberg it was Brett Ratner, directors direct and unless they've written the film they, that's all they do. To say Armageddon is a crap film would be correct, but that is due to the script in which the film is based.

Alot of people bad mouth directors and sure some are bad but the majority of films that aren't written and directed by one person and turn out bad is all down to a guy sat a computer typing words.

I don't agree with that. The director is responsible for visualising the script and are often free to make changes to the script. To say that a bad film is done by the scriptwriter kinda gives the director short shrift I think. It also doesn't take into consideration how crucial editing is to a film - a film can be made much better or much worse in the editing room by decisions jointly made by the editor and the director and even then the producer and studio often have final say over how the film turns out.

nekromantik 8th January 2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 208163)
I don't agree with that. The director is responsible for visualising the script and are often free to make changes to the script. To say that a bad film is done by the scriptwriter kinda gives the director short shrift I think. It also doesn't take into consideration how crucial editing is to a film - a film can be made much better or much worse in the editing room by decisions jointly made by the editor and the director and even then the producer and studio often have final say over how the film turns out.

True. So for all we know Bay made changes to the script.
Plus blaming JJ when there was another person who worked on the script too is bad.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th January 2012 05:39 PM

I'm still trying to visualise the Academy Award winning Schindler's List directed by Uwe Boll.

Not to mention Lars Von Trier's latest movie - Sucker Punch.

Prince_Vajda 8th January 2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 208167)
I'm still trying to visualise the Academy Award winning Schindler's List directed by Uwe Boll.

Not to mention Lars Von Trier's latest movie - Sucker Punch.

As you've mentioned their names - Boll's movies are a lot more entertaining than von Trier's! :nod: :smokin:

Greetings!

Slippery Jack 8th January 2012 06:44 PM

Hotel Harabati

The enticing dvd blurb had it down as a kind of Haneke/Lynchian nightmare, and the first 50 minutes or so delivered the goods. A well executed slow build of suspense, and that growing feeling of 'something isn't right here, but I don't know what is'. Some good lead performances from Hélène Fillières and Laurant Lucas, the latter drawing comparrison to the vaguely similar, but much superior Lemming. The more it went on, the more the film drifted away from any kind of plot (not a bad thing sometimes, but not in this case), and ended with a pretty bland whimper. Shame . . .