Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Paul Zombie 8th September 2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 587437)
Review.
The 'chap' was also DOCTOR WHO at one point ;)
:lol:

I was never a massive Doctor who fan to be honest. But i remember Tom Baker and K9 more. :)

Paul Zombie 8th September 2018 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To The Devil a Daughter.

Father Michael(Christopher Lee) is a defrocked priest who sets up his own sect of devil worshippers who plan to use a young girl(Natassja Kinski) for a ritual on her 18th birthday to bring the devil into the world. but her father trys to stop it from happening and asks John verny(Richard widmark) to help her as he is a writer and expert on the occult.

despite the films reputation as a bit of a flop, i have to say that i found it rather enjoyable eventhough the ending is rubbish and a big anticlimax. Christoper Lee is superb and chilling as the satanic priest, and the whole cast which also includes Honor Blackman and Denolhm Elliot are very good as well.

yes it does drag a bit, but the black mass rituals are well done and quite explicit by Hammer standards with graphic sex orgies. :happy:
some effects don't work quite as well though with the devil baby looking like a rubber glove puppet. :lol: but overall it is still entertaining and i award it 76.8 out of 100.

gag 8th September 2018 05:41 PM

French film the nest .

Albanian crime lord is being transported to trial by a specially trained police squad led by tough female commander Helene Laborie, Nexhap's hired killers attack the convoy en route, and the survivors retreat to a warehouse. Inside, Santino and his gang of thieves are stealing laptop computers. When Nexhap's men find the warehouse they prepare to assault, the police and thieves fight together to get through the night alive

If you like you're films pretty much decent none stop action then highly recommended.

Demoncrat 8th September 2018 06:44 PM

Aye, The Nest is fairly mental in places :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th September 2018 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Most Dangerous Game (1932)

Sportsman Joel McCrea ends up ship wrecked on the island home of Leslie Banks who hams it up as the moustache twirling Count Zaroff, who hunts humans as prey and collects their heads as wall displays.

Filmed by many of the team behind King Kong, using the same jungle sets and Fay Wray, The Most Dangerous Game looks teriffic and is a sprightly affair. Banks may seem like a cliche but he's actually very good, forever scratching a dueling scar on his face as he concocts his nefarious safari. It's just a shame he played basically the same lip smacking role in the British thriller The Door With Seven Locks a mere eight years later.

The young Joel McCrea initially seems out of his depth, maybe it's with not having Randolph Scott alongside him, but steadily grows into the role but Wray, who starts off delightfully resorts to screaming once the action hits the island forest.

The Most Dangerous Game isn't a film i've watched many times, but it was one that on this occasion i thoroughly enjoyed.

Paul Zombie 9th September 2018 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Eyeball.

A bunch of american tourists holidaying on a bus in Spain, including a chap having a affair with his secretery, a couple of lesbians, and a creepy priest, arent they always :laugh:, are getting stalked and killed by a insane maniac who cuts out the victims eyes.

this is a fun giallo that i enjoyed very much. It's has nice sunny locations in Spain which director Umberto Lenzi makes the most of. and unlike most other typical giallos the killer is in red and wears matching red gloves compared to the normal black.
Not quite as gory as you would imagine given the subject matter but there are still a few decent kills and nudity throughout.

As usual the police are as useless as ever, as are most of the cast who continue on with their holiday without a care in the world despite all the murders going on. :lol:
One line in the film that made me laugh is when a doctor is doing an autopsy on one of the killer's victims and a police man says to him, do you think its the work of a sadist? :pound:

Yes, i recommend this entertaining and silly giallo and award 80.5 out of 100.

Demoncrat 9th September 2018 05:09 PM

Oooh I can like again....

FRENZY AHOY

:laugh:

bleakshaun 9th September 2018 09:03 PM

Inferno
Robert Langdon wakes up in a hospital bed and immediately has to escape with a doctor from a cop trying to kill her. He then discovers a plot to unleash a deadly virus which would kill half the population and has to stop it.
I always have enjoyed the Dan Brown adaptations and out of the 3, I felt that this was the best one. Shame about the watch being broken.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

iank 9th September 2018 09:38 PM

Shaun of the Dead. Shaun's (Simon Pegg) carefree life is disrupted first by his girlfriend dumping him and then by a zombie apocalypse. This massively successful romantic zombie comedy horror is as fresh and funny as it was 14 years ago and is still one of the best films of the 2000s. :nod:

iank 10th September 2018 08:22 AM

The Nun. A priest and a soon-to-be nun head to an abbey in Romania to investigate strange happenings in another instalment in the Conjuring franchise. And, sadly, not a good one. We're back in original Annabelle territory (I.e rubbish) rather than the two Conjuring films or even last year's Annabelle Creation quality, and it's all very tedious, overblown and unscary. Tessa Farmaiga looks so much like her older sister that it's actually distracting, to the point you're half-expecting them to reveal her character to be related to the Warrens, and if you're looking for any intelligence, character or real tension, sorry, but there's nun in this film. :behindsofa::laugh:

WowBobWow 10th September 2018 09:48 AM

Mark Kermode’s review of The Nun is quite funny.

‘quiet...quiet...NUN...quiet...quiet...NUN’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Zombie 10th September 2018 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Small Time Crooks.

Woody allen plays a loser who plans to pull off a big bank robbery by tunnelling underneath it. as a cover, he rents the vacant shop next door and opens it selling cookies so as not to arose suspicion while digging. The robbery all goes wrong.
but his wife Frenchy(Tracy Ullman) who runs runs the shop discovers that her cookies are a surprise smash, so much in fact that it makes them incredibly rich.

This is very entertaining and one of Woody Allen's funniest films since Mighty Aphrodite. and i much prefer it when Woody is doing straight comedy like he used to in all his early films.
Tracy Ullman is hilarious and very good too, and Hugh grant who co stars as the posh con man.
Some funny dialogue as well like when he says to his wife, What would you say if I told you you were married to a genius?
and she answers, I'd say I must be a bigamist. :lol:

I highly recommend this great comedy gem and award 85.5 out of 100.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2018 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Shortcut (2009)

Two brothers discover a rarely used shortcut through woods which crosses the land of a sinister farm owned by a man the adults of the town would rather not talk about.

The Shortcut is an odd film. It's perfectly serviceable, has a few creepy moments and some scenes of tension. It's well acted and well made yet i just wouldn't recommend it even though there's fundamentally nothing at all wrong with it and as the credits rolled i knew i'd enjoyed it. It seemed to lack some sort of edge to it all and even it's shocking finale seemed a bit flat... yet strangely watchable.

It's the ultimate average horror film.

MrBarlow 10th September 2018 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Carry on Abroad. 1972

A group of holidaymakers head to the Spanish resort Elsbells, from the start its a nightmare that turns to laughter.

This one is like carry on meets fawlty towers, this one is run by Pete Butterworth and Hattie Jaques. This does have some good one liners and cross communications with guests trying to complain but end up complaining to each other. There is the usual carry on gang, Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Bernard Bresslaw, Barbara Windsor, Kenneth Connor. This was the last carry on movie for Charles Hawtrey as he went into semi retirement and also partially drunk throughout the movie. 8 out of 10.

Crimson Blade 10th September 2018 07:37 PM

Funny film, Mr B. I would have given you a 'like' but it's not working for me again. :crying:

MrBarlow 10th September 2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 587637)
Funny film, Mr B. I would have given you a 'like' but it's not working for me again. :crying:

I hadn't seen this one before but what a laugh it was

Crimson Blade 10th September 2018 08:15 PM

I managed to get a box set of them a couple of years ago when it was on offer.

Carry on Camping and Carry on Screaming were two that i particularly enjoyed. But they're all good fun.

The combination of Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Barbara Windsor and Hattie Jacques was always hilarious. :lol:

MrBarlow 10th September 2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 587642)
I managed to get a box set of them a couple of years ago when it was on offer.

Carry on Camping and Carry on Screaming were two that i particularly enjoyed. But they're all good fun.

The combination of Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Barbara Windsor and Hattie Jacques was always hilarious. :lol:

They are two that I can watch over and over again

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2018 10:02 PM

Has anyone seen the Karloff film The Snake People?

I think it's the last one he made and isn't supposed to be up to much. Anyone any input?

MrBarlow 10th September 2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 587650)

I think it's the last one he made and isn't supposed to be up to much. Anyone any input?

I did try to watch it on YouTube but switched it off about 20-30 mins into it, it wasn't Korloff's greatest movie IMHO,.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 587651)
I did try to watch it on YouTube but switched it off about 20-30 mins into it, it wasn't Korloff's greatest movie IMHO,.

Yeah, even at £3.60, i don't think i'll bother.

Gothmogxx 10th September 2018 11:10 PM

Showed The Fog and The Evil Dead to a friend today who has never seen either of them. Of course I've seen both of them dozens of times but I never pass down an opportunity to watch them.

The Fog never stood a chance back in the day on account of it coming out after Halloween but I've since re-watched both of them (and The Thing) and I still prefer The Fog to Halloween. I just love it, although The Thing is my favourite Carpenter.

The Evil Dead will not, can not, ever not be entertaining. Masterpiece in every conceivable way. Funny though I've not seen 2 or 3 in ages, need to give them a visit.

My friend thought The Fog was somewhere between a 6-8 out of 10 and Evil Dead a 9-10 out of 10. I'd rate The Fog as a 10 personally but I wasn't surprised he loved Evil Dead. I'm sure they exist somewhere but I've never met anyone who hates it.

MrBarlow 10th September 2018 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 587652)
Yeah, even at £3.60, i don't think i'll bother.

Just had a look its still on youtube, there was a film Nightmare Castle 1965, any ideas if that is worth a watch?

MrBarlow 11th September 2018 12:04 AM

The Northerners 1992.

In a small Dutch suburb a newly built area, the residents life collide with each, along with a postman who reads everyone's mail and knows their secrets.

From somewhere in Holland comes this black comedy drama, every character seems to be eccentric and have dreams of leaving their ideal life and go into a world of its own. As it is a Dutch movie it did come with subtitles that didn't seem to match up with them talking which did make it more funny, towards the end it does loose the plot but worth a gander. 6.5 out of 10.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th September 2018 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 587650)

I've seen it and thought it was merely average. So much so that I can't actually remember a thing about it despite only having watched it a couple of years ago.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th September 2018 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 587654)
Just had a look its still on youtube, there was a film Nightmare Castle 1965, any ideas if that is worth a watch?

Yes! If it's this one you mean then it's a great gothic chiller with Barbara Steele.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 587664)
Yes! If it's this one you mean then it's a great gothic chiller with Barbara Steele.

I echo Bizarre_eye's sentiments. It should be part of your collection not merely a Youtube watch.

Paul Zombie 11th September 2018 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Candle For The Devil.

Two middle aged sisters run a guest house in a remote part of Spain and start killing off all the young women who don't measure up to their strict religious standards.
Actress Judy Geeson is the film's heroine who comes to look for her sister who has mysteriously disappeared after staying at the inn.

I enjoyed this movie a lot and it keeps you interested and definately entertained. i liked the plot and the characters were good, epecially the weird sisters Veronica and Martha, with their religious hypocrisy who secretly enjoy having liasons with a young man and spying on naked boys. :lol:

Very good indeed, and i award this creepy and atmospheric film 85.9 out of 100.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Zombie (Post 587670)
Candle For The Devil.

Very good indeed, and i award this creepy and atmospheric film 85.9 out of 100.

I nearly went with this last night too, but then decided on 70's teen comedy Malibu Beach. A film similar in style to American Graffiti and Linklater's much later Dazed and Confused.

Paul Zombie 11th September 2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 587671)
I nearly went with this last night too, but then decided on 70's teen comedy Malibu Beach. A film similar in style to American Graffiti and Linklater's much later Dazed and Confused.

Don't think that i've ever seen that one before.
But i always like to balance my horror film watching with comedy every now and again as well :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2018 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Zombie (Post 587673)
Don't think that i've ever seen that one before.
But i always like to balance my horror film watching with comedy every now and again as well :)

It's on a Drive-In Cult Classics box set from the now defunct BCI Eclipse. The sets have been reissued by Mill Creek under different titles though.

trebor8273 11th September 2018 08:49 PM

Some for sci-fi September

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWXlm9I05o

8.5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTS_DlIh3VM

7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0rtiHjUP0w

7/10

Now watching star trek the motion picture

Frankie Teardrop 11th September 2018 09:02 PM

A GHOST STORY – Man rises from dead as sheet ghost, hankers after still living wife – that’s about it. ‘A Ghost Story’ is genius, I really liked it. There’s only so much black humour you can wring out of the forlorn figure of (ultimate horror cliché) the sheet ghost, but to its credit ‘A Ghost Story’ isn’t about that. It’s about numbed emotions and endless, awful sadness – a terminally empty barrel of laughs, then, although there are a few funerary rattlings along the way to leaven the despair. The film has a formal as well as an existential minimalism about it, a good looking sparseness to match the long silences and shots of figures just standing there, staring into the holes where their lives once were. Fave bit has to be the scene where bereaved lady eats a pie in angry, awkward silence over about five minutes. I’m not joking, that was mesmerising, and kind of summed up the rest of the film for me. Not a genre piece, and a film that will test your patience if you’re in the mood for straightforward entertainment. But if you’re looking to be perplexed and dumbfounded as to how a film this weird made it out of the relative mainstream, then go ahead, it’s a bona fide ‘cult classic’ of years to come.

SOME KIND OF HATE – Moody gothic type stabs his school bully and ends up in a hippy rehab centre out in the desert. The ghost of a former pupil wants to use him to exact revenge on her killers. ‘Some Kind of Hate’ is pretty good, but I found myself gradually tiring of it. It started promisingly, and seemed to boil up a good degree of tension whilst exploring some ‘difficult themes’. Then it seemed to take a dive into the usual territory i.e aforementioned murder victim, back from the dead and after revenge… no problems with that thematically, it’s just that the relatively ‘heightened’ horror stuff seemed less intense than the dramatic build up. Well put together though, and absorbing enough in places.

THE BONEYARD – Back to the nineties with this little known zombie flick. I think I caught it ages ago on of those budget UK labels… Hardgore, maybe. It didn’t make much of an impression back then, but I really quite liked it when I checked out the 88 Films version – probably I’m just so shallow that improving the pq actually enhances the movie full stop for me. Anyway, it’s basically an undead siege scenario that plays out in a morgue with cops and a psychic. It’s post-‘Reanimator’ / the 80s, so there are a couple of stabs at humour, but the underlying theme is morbid i.e connected with the risen corpses of children, and this comes across through the visuals – those zombie kids are really creepy. There’s also a big zombie poodle. Maybe the early nineties clunkiness stops any real darkness from taking root, but in many ways it’s well made and well-considered. Worth checking out.

GREMLIN’S CURSE – Not sure about the awkward title… or the movie, for that matter. Actually, no, I quite liked it, although it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea unless they’re into attempts to merge Sci-fi channel type schlock with dour family drama. Which is what I warmed to. It’s about a box that contains a small, havoc-wreaking monster – you’d want to get rid of it pretty quickly, but the only way is to pass it on to a loved one (don’t ask me why, and I’m sure the makers don’t have an answer either). In this case, the box lands in a dysfunctional family and the predictable happens – to the films credit, it doesn’t skimp on death. Direction, editing, music are all flatly TV-esque, but there is a nastiness at work in places – i.e scene in which screaming kid witnesses little beast burrowing out of dead mother’s stomach. All this is enough to make it seem slightly odd, therefore interesting.

INCIDENT IN A GHOSTLAND – From the director of ‘Martyrs’. A mother and two kids relocate to a relative’s old, gothic house and are plunged into a nightmare when two freakos with a shared doll fetish gatecrash the show… not saying any more ‘cos it’ll spoil the slightly hackneyed ‘twist’ lurking round the corner that upends the narrative of the film’s first half. I was well up for IIAG, being a fan of ‘Martyrs’ and Laugier’s stuff in general, and of course whenever he puts anything out there’s a lot of murmuring about whether it’ll be a ‘return to form’, which is a bit unfair I think as everything gets pre-judged in a way. Inevitably, it doesn’t stun the way ‘Martyrs’ did and still does, but the horror is more concentrated, or maybe just more brutal, than in ‘The Tall Man’, his previous feature. Visually it’s strong, and from my point of view it doesn’t hurt that it’s crammed full of weird dolls – yes, what a sucker for cliché I am. As is Laugier, apparently, because I have to say that IIAG, stripped to the core, isn’t dissimilar to a lot of latter day genre product. It may wear its ‘art’ on its sleeve, but beneath the groovy phantasmagoria of the film’s overstuffed visuals it’s basically about two murderous dudes terrorising some kids. I liked it, and it works because Laugier has panache and flair, but I wouldn’t blame others for being less enthusiastic

MrBarlow 11th September 2018 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Night of The Demons 2009.

1925 Broussard Mansion, a Maid unleashed Demons, to escape the fate she killed herself. 85 years later Teen Angela throws a party in the house and the demons awake.

This is a remake of the 1989 movie of the same title, but best stick to the original, unless you wanna see Shannon Elizabeth (Nadia from American Pie) getting a bit frisky with another girl and Edward Furlong trying to recover his career after having personal problems.

Probably the only the only thing that does help this one is the soundtrack and the special effects of the demons but the acting does seem to be more wooden that even pinnochio would be insulted. 4 out of 10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 587712)

INCIDENT IN A GHOSTLAND – From the director of ‘Martyrs’. A mother and two kids relocate to a relative’s old, gothic house and are plunged into a nightmare when two freakos with a shared doll fetish gatecrash the show… not saying any more ‘cos it’ll spoil the slightly hackneyed ‘twist’ lurking round the corner that upends the narrative of the film’s first half. I was well up for IIAG, being a fan of ‘Martyrs’ and Laugier’s stuff in general, and of course whenever he puts anything out there’s a lot of murmuring about whether it’ll be a ‘return to form’, which is a bit unfair I think as everything gets pre-judged in a way. Inevitably, it doesn’t stun the way ‘Martyrs’ did and still does, but the horror is more concentrated, or maybe just more brutal, than in ‘The Tall Man’, his previous feature. Visually it’s strong, and from my point of view it doesn’t hurt that it’s crammed full of weird dolls – yes, what a sucker for cliché I am. As is Laugier, apparently, because I have to say that IIAG, stripped to the core, isn’t dissimilar to a lot of latter day genre product. It may wear its ‘art’ on its sleeve, but beneath the groovy phantasmagoria of the film’s overstuffed visuals it’s basically about two murderous dudes terrorising some kids. I liked it, and it works because Laugier has panache and flair, but I wouldn’t blame others for being less enthusiastic

Is this out on dvd, Mr. T?

Frankie Teardrop 11th September 2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 587714)
Is this out on dvd, Mr. T?

Yeah, weirdly it's on Arrow - didn't think they did much contemporary horror.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2018 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 587715)
Yeah, weirdly it's on Arrow - didn't think they did much contemporary horror.

They release a few each year. More than you'd probably expect but they don't announce announcements for them like they do with their 'special shit'. They aren't quite up there with 101 Films when it comes to releasing dross though.

Having said that they do a good range of Nic Cage straight to dvd shite.

Frankie Teardrop 11th September 2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 587716)
They release a few each year. More than you'd probably expect but they don't announce announcements for them like they do with their 'special shit'. They aren't quite up there with 101 Films when it comes to releasing dross though.

I guess they did 'The Endless' fairly recently as well. Well, 'Incident in a Ghostland' probably doesn't cut it as 'special shit' in anyone's video-toilet, but it works if you have a soft spot for the director. Other than that, it'd be lining the shelves at Asda if not for its illustrious publishers.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th September 2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 587717)
I guess they did 'The Endless' fairly recently as well. Well, 'Incident in a Ghostland' probably doesn't cut it as 'special shit' in anyone's video-toilet, but it works if you have a soft spot for the director. Other than that, it'd be lining the shelves at Asda if not for its illustrious publishers.

From your review it sounds pretty damn decent...just not twelve quid blind buy decent. :lol:

iank 11th September 2018 09:36 PM

Silent Rage. A mad scientists uses a wonder drug designed to speed up the body's natural healing to be basically automatic on a fatally wounded psycho killer. Hmm, now I'm not a scientist, but even I can see the potential flaw in that plan. Needless to say, he's soon up and killing - and only Chuck Norris can stop him! Very silly but pretty entertaining mid 80s action-horror hybrid, only slightly spoiled by a really annoying female lead and a somewhat anticlimactic ending.