Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Susan Foreman 17th September 2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 588155)
What are clliches now may well have been innovative in 1988. ;)

Oh aye, apart from the nine I mentioned!

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 588156)
Oh aye, apart from the nine I mentioned!

Well i can only think of Hell Night from 1981 which was along the same lines.

Susan Foreman 17th September 2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 588157)
Well i can only think of Hell Night from 1981 which was along the same lines.

Lets see:
"On Halloween [1] - the obvious one is 'Halloween' but there is also 'The Midnight Hour' (1985), 'Trick Or Treat' (1986) amongst others

a group of teenagers [2] - take your pick: 'Friday 13th' (1980), 'Prom Night' (1980), 'Fright Night' (1985), 'TCM' (1974)

decide to have a party [3] - 'Slumber Party Massacre' (1982), 'Terror Train' (1980), 'Carrie' (1976)

in an old, decrepit house/ex-funeral parlour [4] - a theme that goes back to the 1930's (and before): 'Frankenstein' etc

where drinking and sex [5] - Pretty much every horror film made after 'Friday 13th' (1980)!

leads to the spooky, Goth girl [6] - 'Beetlejuice' (1988), 'The Addams Family' (TV show), 'Elvira' etc

suggesting that they hold a seance [7], resulting is a demon infestation [8] and bodily possession [9]" - take your pick from a number of 60's, 70's and 80's films!

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 588161)
Lets see:
"On Halloween [1] - the obvious one is 'Halloween' but there is also 'The Midnight Hour' (1985), 'Trick Or Treat' (1986) amongst others

a group of teenagers [2] - take your pick: 'Friday 13th' (1980), 'Prom Night' (1980), 'Fright Night' (1985), 'TCM' (1974)

decide to have a party [3] - 'Slumber Party Massacre' (1982), 'Terror Train' (1980), 'Carrie' (1976)

in an old, decrepit house/ex-funeral parlour [4] - a theme that goes back to the 1930's (and before): 'Frankenstein' etc

where drinking and sex [5] - Pretty much every horror film made after 'Friday 13th' (1980)!

leads to the spooky, Goth girl [6] - 'Beetlejuice' (1988), 'The Addams Family' (TV show), 'Elvira' etc

suggesting that they hold a seance [7], resulting is a demon infestation [8] and bodily possession [9]" - take your pick from a number of 60's, 70's and 80's films!

Sorry, i was looking at them all together, not as separate cliches from individual films.

John Matrix 17th September 2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 588154)

At least three and a half reasons why To The Devil A Daughter is more than just worth watching…

Attachment 209086 Attachment 209087 Attachment 209088

You all aware Natassja Kinski is 14 in this film? Like in real life lol

gag 17th September 2018 05:34 PM

Talk about hammer films does anyone know where I can get

Hammer house of mystery and suspense for less than £40 or is that the standard going price , want to buy it and put to one side for Sam as a Xmas present .

MrBarlow 17th September 2018 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Theatre of Blood. 1973

Actor Edward Lionheart plots revenge on the critics who denied him stardom recognition.

Combine the great works of William Shakespeare and blend it in with horror and you get this british slasher horror. Vincent Price stars as the badly criticised actor who dons on many characters and plots and carries out the Murders with some witty dark humour.

This film did seem to test Price as a actor as he does quote phrases without taking and in one go as to some who do seem to need more than one take.

The atmosphere is very well done with a sort of gothic settings in some areas especially in the abandoned theatre where it seems to be the best hideout to plot murders, but it on some ways there is sympathy felt towards Edward.

There is good performances from Diana Rigg, Eric Sykes, Ian Henry and Diana Dors. Well worth a watch.

Gothmogxx 17th September 2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 588064)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)
Attachment 209039

A blonde draft dodger and a dark-haired vet with nightmares drive through the more rural parts of the redneck south of the US of A. A local butchery fails the latest test of the public health department and its main butcher, Mr. Hewitt, loses his job. As his family is pretty poor, they are suddenly in desperate need of new meat supplies. Our two capons are accompanied by two chicks with nice drumsticks, breasts and wings, and therefore the Hewitt family immediately has plans for Sunday dinner.

Over the course of time, our dark-haired friend needs more than just a hand, and our blonde sissy has a severe bellyache. What happens to their girlfriends? Who's the big fat cow who has tea with grandma? And who in the world would use the remastered version of Free's All Right Now?
Visit your local butchery and find out.

---

A well-paced little piece of terror cinema with pretty good cinematography and a fair amount of limbs and blood. Enjoy the uncut version with a crate of lager and some chicken wings.

:star: :star: :halfstar:

(best rating: four stars)

For me its the first really good TCM since the first two. I liked the remake but this one was amazing, if only for Sheriff Hoyt.

Demoncrat 17th September 2018 06:49 PM

The Changeling (1980, Peter Medak)
Poor Jean Marsh! Ahem. A recently bereaved musician buys a new house as part of 'moving on'. So when it becomes apparent that he isn't the only occupant ... he takes a hands on approach to dealing with the problem. Do not watch in the dark ... or rather do :laugh:

Demoncrat 17th September 2018 06:59 PM

One last word on TTDAD then ...
More than anything ... it was the photo. It was clearly a publicity still. And not something you would expect from austere cultists ... to my mind anyhow having raised her in a 'convent' etc. Sorry and all that .... that's how I feel.
Next?

Crimson Blade 17th September 2018 07:33 PM

Apparently, Christopher Lee was supposed to have been struck by lightning at the end of TTDAD, but it was changed because it was too similar to his death in Scars of Dracula. Still would have been preferable than to be taken out by a rock. :lol:

Demoncrat 17th September 2018 07:46 PM

:laugh:

I'll stick with that other film from 76 that's set in Germany ... ;);)

NEXT

Paul Zombie 18th September 2018 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Vampyres.

A mysterious pair of cloaked ladies prowl through the english countryside hitching lifts off unsuspecting motorists before luring them to their creepy gothic mansion to feast on their blood.

This i thought was a very entertaining film from Spanish director Jose Larrez, and much more graphic with it's scenes of sex and violence than any of the Hammer vampire films. it is a bit slow and light on plot, but it is very stylish with the gothic mansion, autumn scenery, and the nice shots of the sexy vamps running about the graveyard.

And the two vampires played by Marianne Morris and Anulka are stunning and get to show off their impressive assets throughout the film. :)

a very good film indeed and beautiful to look at, and a give it 83.5 out of 100.

Demoncrat 18th September 2018 05:49 PM

Review P!

Hereditary (Ari Aster)
What to say ......... well it's better than Krampus for a start:rolleyes:. I can imagine that that might not quite 'sell' this film. And a film it is :nod:. Avoid the trailer.
Grief can be a terrible thing to bear .... An artist works through a recent bereavement until a freak accident brings events to a head. See this film. I have my problems with it, but I always have :laugh:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th September 2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 588251)
Review P!

Hereditary (Ari Aster)
What to say ......... well it's better than Krampus for a start:rolleyes:. I can imagine that that might not quite 'sell' this film. And a film it is :nod:. Avoid the trailer.
Grief can be a terrible thing to bear .... An artist works through a recent bereavement until a freak accident brings events to a head. See this film. I have my problems with it, but I always have :laugh:

Not just me that thought Krampus was rubbish then? :lol:

Demoncrat 18th September 2018 06:34 PM

Toni Colette's in both. That's all I meant :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th September 2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 588257)
Toni Colette's in both. That's all I meant :lol:

Your reviews can be like deciphering bloody codes. :headache: :lol:

Demoncrat 18th September 2018 07:38 PM

Nothing in my review doesn't happen in the film. I could say it reminded me of Smiles On A Summer Night .... but that's nae really any help either I suppose :pound:

Next?

bleakshaun 18th September 2018 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 588260)
Your reviews can be like deciphering bloody codes. :headache: [emoji38]

That's where Dan Brown gets his ideas [emoji23].
Anyway
Death Wish 4
Paul Kersey is asked by an old business man to take on the 2 major drug Gangs in california after his daughter in law ODs.
No rape for a start thankfully. Still fun to watch especially when Bronson is running away from people. Plenty of squibs and explosions for everyone.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Demoncrat 18th September 2018 09:37 PM

DWIV is a humdinger. Cannon to the core really :lol::pop2:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th September 2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 588252)
Not just me that thought Krampus was rubbish then? :lol:

I like it!:behindsofa:

Paul Zombie 19th September 2018 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Bird With The Crystal Plumage.

Sam Dalmas(Tony Musante) is a american writer visiting Italy with his girlfriend Julia(Suzy Kendall) and becomes involved in a attempted murder investigation after seeing a young woman getting stabbed by a maniac in a black mack in a museum. and ends up as a suspect at first after getting stuck between the window at the crime scene.

Very well plotted with plenty of suspense in the Hitchcock kind of style and with great camera work as well. and a film that keeps you guessing throughout.

Actress Suzy kendall is as sexy as ever, eventhough i did think she had less to do in this film compared to her role in Torso. but she does have a great part when the maniac trys to break into her apartment.

and some good comedy as well with the camp antiques salesman and the mad artist chap with bad hair who eats cats. :lol:

Overall a very enjoyable giallo indeed from Dario Argento, and amazing because this was his first effort as a director. 91.5 out of 100.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th September 2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Zombie (Post 588309)
The Bird With The Crystal Plumage.

Sam Dalmas(Tony Musante) is a american writer visiting Italy with his girlfriend Julia(Suzy Kendall) and becomes involved in a attempted murder investigation after seeing a young woman getting stabbed by a maniac in a black mack in a museum. and ends up as a suspect at first after getting stuck between the window at the crime scene.

Very well plotted with plenty of suspense in the Hitchcock kind of style and with great camera work as well. and a film that keeps you guessing throughout.

Actress Suzy kendall is as sexy as ever, eventhough i did think she had less to do in this film compared to her role in Torso. but she does have a great part when the maniac trys to break into her apartment.

and some good comedy as well with the camp antiques salesman and the mad artist chap with bad hair who eats cats. :lol:

Overall a very enjoyable giallo indeed from Dario Argento, and amazing because this was his first effort as a director. 91.5 out of 100.

If you like Suzy Kendall, Paul, i recommend Fear is the Key.

Demoncrat 19th September 2018 10:47 AM

i second this!

Can like on Chrome in library it seems .... but not on phone ....by 'eck I'll go to the bottom of our stairs!! :laugh:

Paul Zombie 19th September 2018 10:50 AM

Thanks Demdike. Didn't realise she was in that one. i've heard of the film but never got around to seeing it yet, eventhough there's a dvd available.

Still need to buy that Assault film as well that she starred in. :)

Demoncrat 19th September 2018 07:58 PM

Doomwatch (1973, Peter Sasdy)
When people witter on about 70s TV adaptations ... this isn't one that readily springs to mind ... for squares that is :lol: ... The titular team are alerted to enviromental shenanigans off the Scottish coast which has affected an island's population adversely. Solid and workmanlike are the words that spring readily to mind here tbh. Judy Geeson pouts in the background in a walking dead role.

Bad Samaritan (Dean Devlin)
David Tennant's in it. There's a burglary. And that's all I am saying with this one :lol:. The blinder you are about this the betterer ;)

Jake Speed (1986, Andrew Lane)
Here's a film that screams 'remake ME!!' tbh. When you're in trouble ... get Jake .. ? :rolleyes:
Bizarre blend of meta and exploito. Commenting on the stuff you're about to do on screen is nowt new I know ... but it's so thickly laid on .... what balls. John Hurt snarls it in down the phone. Deranged. And sadly quite dull in patches. It's Jake. I kept forgetting whom he was ... whilst he was on screen. :laugh:

Crimson Blade 19th September 2018 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Deadly Record (1959).

Trevor Hamilton, a pilot, returns home and becomes the prime suspect in the murder of his wife after she is found dead stabbed in the back.

Nothing really that outstanding, but it's still a very enjoyable and competently made thriller directed by Lawrence Huntington, who keeps it interesting with various twists and turns.

Lee Patterson who plays the lead role of Terry is very good, as is Barbara Shelley who adds her usual class and glamour to the proceedings. And also turning up is Geoffrey Keen from the Hammer and Bond films, playing the role of an austere policeman in a part that comes naturally to him.

It is a very short film though. In fact, it barely runs to an hour, but at least it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Not a bad little B movie at all, despite its obscurity. 7/10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th September 2018 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 588369)
Doomwatch (1973, Peter Sasdy)
When people witter on about 70s TV adaptations ... this isn't one that readily springs to mind ... for squares that is :lol: ... The titular team are alerted to enviromental shenanigans off the Scottish coast which has affected an island's population adversely. Solid and workmanlike are the words that spring readily to mind here tbh. Judy Geeson pouts in the background in a walking dead role.

Tis a pity the real Doomwatch team are relegated to support roles' Back at the lab'.

Bannen is decent enough but it would have been preferable had Simon Oates' Ridge character been the one investigating the island goings on.

Demoncrat 19th September 2018 10:01 PM

I'm sure Tenser thought he knew what he was doing :lol:. At least it is them and not replacements with more marquee cache ;). Ahem. It does make me want to watch the series certainly. If only to clear up whether I remember it or not :lol: ...

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th September 2018 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 588387)
I'm sure Tenser thought he knew what he was doing :lol:. At least it is them and not replacements with more marquee cache ;). Ahem. It does make me want to watch the series certainly. If only to clear up whether I remember it or not :lol: ...

Speedy Hen via the tax cheats have it new for £21 delivered. That's about a tenner less than i bought it for.

There are some terrific episodes. My favourites being The Battery People and Invasion. Sadly several episodes in Doctor Who fashion no longer exist but the box set does include the untransmitted episode Sex and Violence. Guess what that deals with?

Demoncrat 19th September 2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 588389)
Speedy Hen via the tax cheats have it new for £21 delivered. That's about a tenner less than i bought it for.

There are some terrific episodes. My favourites being The Battery People and Invasion. Sadly several episodes in Doctor Who fashion no longer exist but the box set does include the untransmitted episode Sex and Violence. Guess what that deals with?

Oooh off the top of my head .... sentient seaweed?? :lol: :lol:
Noted. Ta. Speedy Hen. Like that :nod:.

gag 20th September 2018 01:55 AM

Den of thieves

Based on a true story about a gang of retired criminals who carried out a major heist in London's famous diamond district. stars Michael Caine, Charlie Cox, Michael Gambon, Ray Winstone, Tom Courtenay, and Jim Broadbent.
Because its a heist don't expect lots of action violence etc because it doesn't happen, what it does do is not take itself to serious and glorifies the bank robbery , its just plods along at a pace that is just right , first half concentrates on the robbery setting it up and problems they have doing it, 2nd half on them arguing about who got what and who trying to stitch who up, and the police catching them , its got lots of humour without going down the actual comedy route , and because they are old it also shows the side of what its like being old eg illness and not being able to concentrate without your tablets etc, over all a nice solid performance 8 out of 10 , just found Paul Whitehouse a bit of a strange cast for this type of film. It won't blow you away but it will do the job and that's enjoy it for what it is and leave the cinema satisfied, one I will buy at some point down the line

keirarts 20th September 2018 05:43 AM

Destruction babies

Boasting "the most extreme 108 minutes in Japanese cinema history" i'm not sure the film lives up to that boast. However while not the most extreme its certainly the most relentless. The central character is 18 year old Taira whose got a few screws loose. He's wandering the local town beating the shit out of people and getting the shit knocked out of himself as well. Taira's younger brother is a skater punk who wanders the cities red light districts and shopping centres looking for his brother. Taira's antics attract the attention of another teen called Yuya who also seems to have a few screws loose. He begins film Taira's antics and soon gets involved, escalating the pairs behaviour to the point the police get involved.
Destruction babies feels like the sort of teen violence picture Harmony Korine might make. The violence is brutal, somewhat realistic and quite nasty in places. It's also relentless, it left me feeling utterly pummelled and desensitised. I picked it up in Fopp for £6 and I highly recommend giving it a chance.

Dave Boy 20th September 2018 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 209139

Usually watch this every 17th September without fail but this year missed out so watched this again last night. Excellent!

Paul Zombie 20th September 2018 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Autopsy

A bizarre series of suicides, including a chap putting a bag over his head and jumping in the river and another blowing himself up in his car, is happening during a heatwave in Rome due to sun spots or whatever. but a medical pathologist(Mimsy farmer) thinks they could be murders and together with the help of a priest sets out to investigate.

Okay, this is one seriously odd film. it's supposed to be a giallo but it's nothing like the classic black glove maniac type wearing a trench coat. though it is quite a good mystery and fairly entertaining with strange imagery that is quite bizarre, especially with Mimsy farmer having visions of dead bodies in the morgue coming to life and having sex. :lol:
and then there's the weird art exhibition with pictures of real dead bodies in very unsual death scenes.

The cast do a fairly good job, but i'm not the biggest Mimsy farmer fan. She's not a bad actress but she has no appeal for me whatsoever, and is so cold and miserable compared to your Edwige Fenech and Barbara bouchets.
But Ray Lovelock who co stars as her boyfriend in the film always has a good presence and gives a good performance despite the dubbing.

Not to bad a film, and with nice music from Ennio Moricone. so i give this unusual giallo 74.5 out of 100.

J Harker 20th September 2018 04:47 PM

Went to watch The Predator this afternoon. Entertaining but daft. Certainly not the real sequel the first two deserved. Feels more like the Terminator Salvation of the franchise. I thought Predators was better.

Demoncrat 20th September 2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 588395)
Destruction babies

Boasting "the most extreme 108 minutes in Japanese cinema history" i'm not sure the film lives up to that boast. However while not the most extreme its certainly the most relentless. The central character is 18 year old Taira whose got a few screws loose. He's wandering the local town beating the shit out of people and getting the shit knocked out of himself as well. Taira's younger brother is a skater punk who wanders the cities red light districts and shopping centres looking for his brother. Taira's antics attract the attention of another teen called Yuya who also seems to have a few screws loose. He begins film Taira's antics and soon gets involved, escalating the pairs behaviour to the point the police get involved.
Destruction babies feels like the sort of teen violence picture Harmony Korine might make. The violence is brutal, somewhat realistic and quite nasty in places. It's also relentless, it left me feeling utterly pummelled and desensitised. I picked it up in Fopp for £6 and I highly recommend giving it a chance.

SOLD :nod:

Dave Boy 21st September 2018 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 209158
ATTACK OF THE GIANT LEECHES (1959)

B movie madness as giant leeches attack people in the local swamp.
The victims are taken to an underwater ledge and the blood slowly drained from them.
The lovely Yvette Vickers (Attack Of The 50ft Woman) supplies the glamour until she too, is dragged down to the bottom of the swamp.
The underwater cave scenes provide the film with it's most grotesque moments.
Nightmarish scenes of various victims, half dead being drained of blood by the leeches is actually quite a "wow" moment.
Great fun.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2018 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Possession (2012)

Danish director Ole Bornedal, he of the excellent Night Watch (1997), tries his hand at the supernatural in this tale of a girl from a fractured family who falls under the possession of a dybbuck (a malicious spirit from Jewish mythology).

Two very good leads in Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Kyra Sedgwick and a different twist on possession keep this film away from the ordinary. Certainly it falls into the traps all possession films do post Exorcist but this has enough realism - the film seems as much about divorce in the first half as it does good old fashioned scares - and chills to make it stand out from the pack.

The only thing that made it lose marks for me was the finale. Not that it was bad particularly, it was the heavy use of strobe lighting. I'm not one who suffers from flash induced epilepsy but still found it difficult to watch. Even with my eyes closed the darkened room was still flashing wildly, so stay away if it affects you.

On the whole a pretty decent effort.

Demoncrat 21st September 2018 07:32 PM

Noted D.

Crimes Of Passion (Ken Russell)
What a film. The abundance of sleaze a joy in itself. Whilst certain elements still bother me (I hate that bloody Rick Wakeman song!!! :lol:) ... these are swept away by Anthony Perkins' performance ... a natural force of it's own. Lawdy!! A prostitute is caught between 2 so called 'saviours' within her clientele. Finally uncut and all. Recommended.