Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 28th June 2019 10:24 PM

Noted!!!

Nordicdusk 29th June 2019 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 216425

With the recent reignited interest in Ted Bundy with Netflix The Ted Bundy Tapes a film was bound to follow pretty soon but would it just be another rehash of a tale told many times before or could they bring something new to the table.

They managed to do something a little different focusing alot of on Ted's girlfriend Elizabeth Kendal who was the only woman Ted ever loved. All throughout his arrests and following early trials she always supported him and never showed any doubt about his innocence how could a man do these things a man who was kind loving tender and caring be such a monster to do these things he was accused of but the guy was a smooth operator and talked his way out of alot of situation and of course when he later decided to represent himself in court later he would talk himself into a lot of things also.

The film doesn't focus totally on Elizabeth obviously there is plenty of focus on Ted but more so on his courtroom antics and numerous escapes from custody we only get one brief glimpse of him being violent towards a woman. But don't let that turn you off this is a very well acted and well written film and Zach Efron is great as Ted Bundy and I'm not usually a fan of his but maybe after this he can do a Matthew McConaughey and stop being a ham actor and take on some real roles.

As someone who laps up anything serial killer related i really enjoyed the different sides they showed here i want to see what makes these people tick and what they are like when they are not murdering people and what impact they have on the people around them and is there a human side to these people and this film gave me that so a thumbs up for that.

Film 7/10

10/10 for Zach Efron keeping his top on :lol:

trebor8273 29th June 2019 09:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNwz0zdyNLg

Always found this superior to the original movie. The Montelli family move into there new family home , we have ass hole bully Dad, mother and four kids, two teenagers and two younger children. Not long after moving into the house strange things start happening and the oldest son begins to act different and hears voices and even has a bit of incest with his jail bait/ hot sister . Then one night the voices tell him to kill his family which they do . The local priest believes he is not responsible for the killings and sets out to save the boys soul. Well acted and creepy with some good effects. 8/10

Now watching Puppet Master the littlest Reich.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th June 2019 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Solomon and Sheba (1959)

Yul Brynner and Gina Lollobrigida star as the title characters in a Biblical epic that shows just why the Nazi's wanted the Ark of the Covenant so badly.

iank 29th June 2019 10:24 PM

Witness for the Prosecution. A somewhat ailing but still wily old barrister (Ralph Richardson) goes against his doctor's wishes to take on a new case involving a young man (Beau Bridges) accused of murdering a wealthy older widow for her money. This early 80s adaptation of the Agatha Christie play has a truly fantastic cast of British character actors including Michael Gough, Donald Pleasance, Diana Rigg, Peter Sallis and Richard Vernon, and is hugely enjoyable as a result. I have a very vague sense I may have seen this before, as the ending rang a vague bell, but it must be 30 years and I really couldn't remember it. A lot of fun. :nod:

SymbioticFunction 30th June 2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 606315)
Last Child’s Play film I saw was 3, got some catching up to do before the series comes out (this film isn’t technically canon)

Definitely go out of your way to watch Curse of Chucky. It's excellent. Outrageous that it was a straight to video release (seriously, what the hell happened there??). btw Seen them all but Child's Play 1 and 2 and Curse of Chucky are the only films that I felt were essential purchases.

SymbioticFunction 30th June 2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 606194)
I was inspired to watch Train to Busan last night. While not really reinventing the genre it was a very good take on it, replacing the isolated cabin/farmhouse/mall with a high speed train that can't stop because the stations are all overrun by zombies! In the tradition of Korean films, it's perhaps 15 - 20 minutes too long and the later scenes of apocalypse were bordering on grueling! However, it was highly entertaining, kept the action at the forefront and turned into a gibbering ball of raw nerves by the ending :lol:

Was it sponsored by Nintendo though haha, a bit of overt product placement, 2 x Wii consoles and a blatant pack shot of a 3DS :lol:

Recommended! :pop2:

I just rewatched this. And I thought it was absolutely terrific. :) Last time I saw it was on a smaller television in standard definition without the benefit of surround sound. It was still good but not as impressive as my experience today. Very exciting and I'm not ashamed to say that Train To Busan also really tugged on my heartstrings in a few places. Best Korean film I've seen so far and highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Paul Zombie 30th June 2019 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mausoleum(1983)

susan goes to live with her aunt after the death of her mother and ends up under the curse of the Nomed women by an evil demon that lives in the mausoleum.

first remember seeing this on VHs in the 1980's and it is still a lot of fun to watch, eventhough it is a bit ridiculous and cheesy in parts.
but it does actually have a pretty nice look in a bit of the Italian style, and has some good effects as well including a poor chap getting impaled on spikes in the shopping mall, and a Kenny Rogers lookalike getting blown up in his car. and even the poor randy gardener comes to a bad end as well when he thinks he's having a good time with Susan(played by Bobbi Bresee as an adult) :lol:

Good recommend, and great for fans of cheap Exorcist type knock offs like beyond The Door. plus we do get to see a lot of Miss bresee's nice assets as well, between bouts of her eyes turning green and becoming a demon :laugh:
71 out of 100.

trebor8273 30th June 2019 09:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8M5yfefBRs

Well that was a lot better than I thought it would be. Off the bag we have some changes from the original films here Toulon is not a kindly old man on the run from Nazis,here he is one.

30 years after the infamous number of murders dubbed the Toulon murders a recently divorced man finds a doll in his childhood home ,he soon finds out it was one of Tolons dolls and sets out with girlfriend and his best friend to sell it at a convention . The doll and other dolls disappear and it's not long before bodies start mounting up and it becomes apparent the dolls are alive and love to kill anyone who doesn't meet Nazi ideals .very , very gory with some.great kills , one that stands out is a puppet that crawls up a pregnant woman's pussy and bursts out of her stomach and runs of with the fetus. Watch out for Barbara Crampton as a police officer, who's still surprisingly hot. 7.5/10

Now watching more killer dolls in the form of Annabelle.

Paul Zombie 1st July 2019 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Room mate(2011).

sara gets a roomate at college, Rebecca, who is mentally deranged and who becomes possessive and obsessed with her. and will do whatever it takes to keep her.

Bit of a Single White Female rip off for the teen market starring Leighton meester as the crazed Rebecca.
Well acted and directed, but a little flat and predictable to be honest. And is also rather restrained and tame in the sex and violence department as well. despite a poor kitty coming to a bad end in the washing machine. :shocked:

Still worth a watch for the 90 or so minutes, despite this type of film being done a lot better before. 65 out of 100.

Nordicdusk 1st July 2019 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 216470

Suzy is the newest student to be accepted in to a world famous ballet school in Germany . After a long flight from New York she lands in Germany in the middle of a crazy storm straight away she flags down a taxi and heads to her new home in the school but on arrival things go from bad to worse when she is greeted by a fleeing student who is obviously running from something or someone. When Suzy tries to gain access to school she is told they never heard of her and that she should leave. When she returns to next the to sort out the misunderstanding the cops are there investigating the murder of one of the girls from the school. Not the best welcome but it doesn't get any better from there each day the place gets stranger and stranger and the students are getting more afraid. What the hell is going on and can anyone find out before more people are murdered or go missing.

Suspiria and an audio and visual treat right from the start colour just jumps out and grabs you by the throat and doesn't stop punching you in the face until the end credits roll fantastic. As for the sound both the music and just the sound of the coven and even the footsteps moving around the school just ramps up the tension and atmosphere to 11.

Suspiria is a beautiful experience and in 4K holy shit the colours may blind you :lol:

8/10

Rik 1st July 2019 01:03 PM

The House That I Wish Jack Hadn’t Built (2018)

For weeks now, I’ve had the Blu Ray of this in my Amazon “save for later” waiting for a price drop because I didn’t want to spend £15 on a blind buy of a film I had a feeling I wouldn’t like. This morning, while browsing Amazon Prime Video for something to watch, I noticed it was listed, so I added it to my watchlist and have just finished watching it.
I’ve never seen any of Lars Von Tripe’s previous films, because frankly they didn’t and don’t interest me, but from reading about this online I’ve been wanting to watch it for ages to see what all the fuss was about.
2 things are gonna happen now: 1) I’ll never watch a single frame of any of his other films and 2) I’ll never get those 2 1/2 hours back!
Last time I’ve wanted a film to end out of sheer boredom was when I watched the heavily praised A Field In England!
Maybe I just don’t get it, but what a pile of shite that wasn’t even slightly shocking or gruesome, the only good thing I can say about it is the acting from Matt Dillon! This is why I don’t watch arty farty crap :lol:

**** all out of 5

SymbioticFunction 1st July 2019 04:35 PM

Rewatched 1974's The Longest Yard. Absolutely outstanding film imo. Anyone that knows me knows that I don't enjoy sports at all yet this film manages to make American football seem like one of the most engaging and enjoyable things in the world. Best ever use of splitscreen and the film is one of the greatest ever f*ck you to authority films ever made. :)

trebor8273 1st July 2019 07:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvfzPjsIbpc

Like a lot of modern horrors it relies a little to much on jump scares, but it's still better than a lot of modern horrors and is quite creepy and is well acted and directed. A newly married couple move into a new home , on there first night there neighbours are brutally murdered by a demonic cult , and the newlyweds are also attacked, the assailants are killed , but that's just the start of the couples problems when a demonic force sets it's sites upon them . 7/10

Now watching the Nun.

Graveyard 1st July 2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 606626)
Attachment 216470

Suzy is the newest student to be accepted in to a world famous ballet school in Germany . After a long flight from New York she lands in Germany in the middle of a crazy storm straight away she flags down a taxi and heads to her new home in the school but on arrival things go from bad to worse when she is greeted by a fleeing student who is obviously running from something or someone. When Suzy tries to gain access to school she is told they never heard of her and that she should leave. When she returns to next the to sort out the misunderstanding the cops are there investigating the murder of one of the girls from the school. Not the best welcome but it doesn't get any better from there each day the place gets stranger and stranger and the students are getting more afraid. What the hell is going on and can anyone find out before more people are murdered or go missing.

Suspiria and an audio and visual treat right from the start colour just jumps out and grabs you by the throat and doesn't stop punching you in the face until the end credits roll fantastic. As for the sound both the music and just the sound of the coven and even the footsteps moving around the school just ramps up the tension and atmosphere to 11.

Suspiria is a beautiful experience and in 4K holy shit the colours may blind you :lol:

8/10

Only 8 on this masterpiece? Where is the report button? :pound:

On topic

Creed II - or remake of Rocky IV with new characters - :pound:- I enjoyed - I have a soft spot for Rocky movies.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st July 2019 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
House (1985)

Slickly made but juvenile horror comedy about an uninspired author who moves into his aunt's former house to get away from it all and write a new novel about his experiences in the Vietnam war until he starts getting tormented by a horde of evil spirits in the guise of rubbery monsters.

Not remotely scary nor is it funny barring the odd scene with George Wendt, this is an uncoordinated effort from director Steve Miner which often seems like a series of vignettes clumsily shaped into a film. One of those movies whose stills make it look a far superior affair to what we actually get on screen.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st July 2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 606673)
House (1985)

I'm not fond of this one either.

bleakshaun 1st July 2019 09:52 PM

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
A group of high school students get sucked into a video game and must complete it in order to escape.
Essentially a sequel/soft reboot of the original. I wwnt in rather weary of it as Jumanji was a childhood favourite of mine. But I enjoyed this a lot, fun little adventure flick. Timing was kinda decent seeing as the trailer for the next one has dropped.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

MrBarlow 1st July 2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 606630)
The House That I Wish Jack Hadn’t Built (2018)

For weeks now, I’ve had the Blu Ray of this in my Amazon “save for later” waiting for a price drop because I didn’t want to spend £15 on a blind buy of a film I had a feeling I wouldn’t like. This morning, while browsing Amazon Prime Video for something to watch, I noticed it was listed, so I added it to my watchlist and have just finished watching it.
I’ve never seen any of Lars Von Tripe’s previous films, because frankly they didn’t and don’t interest me, but from reading about this online I’ve been wanting to watch it for ages to see what all the fuss was about.
2 things are gonna happen now: 1) I’ll never watch a single frame of any of his other films and 2) I’ll never get those 2 1/2 hours back!
Last time I’ve wanted a film to end out of sheer boredom was when I watched the heavily praised A Field In England!
Maybe I just don’t get it, but what a pile of shite that wasn’t even slightly shocking or gruesome, the only good thing I can say about it is the acting from Matt Dillon! This is why I don’t watch arty farty crap :lol:

**** all out of 5

Me and Angie tried to watch the film earlier, her words were "if she was to slap the sh@te out of me, both of us would get more pleasure out of it than watching this" there was more choice of words said but better not rephrase them :pound:

MrBarlow 1st July 2019 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spookies 1986.

A group of people looking for a place to party come across a mansion unaware that a sorcerer plans to kill them and bring his bride back to life.

Not a horror to be taken seriously, but still find myself returning to watch it again, cheesy bad acting, weird farting zombies in the basement, mutant hobgoblins and a spider woman. Even the cast I don't recognise did their careers take a dive after this film? For laughs and giggles check it out.

Nordicdusk 2nd July 2019 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 606673)
House (1985)

Slickly made but juvenile horror comedy about an uninspired author who moves into his aunt's former house to get away from it all and write a new novel about his experiences in the Vietnam war until he starts getting tormented by a horde of evil spirits in the guise of rubbery monsters.

Not remotely scary nor is it funny barring the odd scene with George Wendt, this is an uncoordinated effort from director Steve Miner which often seems like a series of vignettes clumsily shaped into a film. One of those movies whose stills make it look a far superior affair to what we actually get on screen.

I only ever watched the first two films and the second one is worse just can't bring myself to watch the other two in the Arrow set. I was excited to own them because i hadn't seen the first one since i was a kid and i thought it was great at the time but as an adult i can now see they are shit :lol:

Nordicdusk 2nd July 2019 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graveyard (Post 606670)
Only 8 on this masterpiece? Where is the report button? :pound:

On topic

Creed II - or remake of Rocky IV with new characters - :pound:- I enjoyed - I have a soft spot for Rocky movies.

I dont give out 9s or 10s willy nilly :lol::lol:

Nordicdusk 2nd July 2019 04:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 216496

There high school friends have a sleepover and tell ghost stories one of which is about the legend of Bloody Mary if your say her name three times she will appear. Candyman Candyman Candym oh no wait Bloody Mary Bloody Ma bla bla bla bla bla jfishejeoonfbgsjnnskskakahdhdjdklmnvuexbkk Mary.

Cgi shitfest this was painful so much so i couldnt even make it to the end. Typical early 2000s horror shit acting and everything is cgi and we all hate nothing more than cgi kills and gore and spiders :lol: The amount of pillow fights at the sleep over was pretty embarrassing to watch for how clichéd it was and the one working in the tanning place her dialogue made me want to go on a bloody rampage around my town yeah like totally shut up shut up no totally :axekiller:

Stay way from this drivel pure and utter W**K

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd July 2019 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
House II: The Second Story (1987)

I'd forgotten how bad this film was.

Basically an unfunny teen comedy featuring Royal Dano in 'dead man' make up as an old west old timer and a plot that has something to do with a Crystal Skull.

Dire.

MrBarlow 2nd July 2019 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The kiss 1988.

When her mother dies in a car accident, Amy and her dad Jack are picking their lives up, her Aunt Felice, who was separated from her sister at a young age, tries to reunite with her niece but with dark intentions.

Not the most entertaining horror with a long slow start, mixed tale of Witchcraft and Voodoo, it was pretty much fast paced or too fast with a murky atmosphere. Meredith Salenger and Joanna Paculla were the main reason I didn't switch it off. 4 out of 10.

MrBarlow 2nd July 2019 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Crossing The Line (aka The Big Man) 1990.

A out of work Scottish miner struggling to feed his family, is accosted by a small time gangster to be a bare knuckle fighter but is drawn into something more deeper.

This was a little decent film, Liam Neeson stars as the struggling husband and family man with a fighting past drawn into a fight scene. Comedian and stand-up Billy Cononley stars along side as the gangster wannabe who provides some laughs with some drama and Pat Roach as the heavy handed man. Set and filmed around Strathclyde, Glasgow, I don't know how I managed to by pass this film. Worth a watch.

Nordicdusk 2nd July 2019 08:41 PM

RiK started a trend with the house that some bloke built because since then we all seem to have been plagued by shit films :lol:

Rik 2nd July 2019 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 216537

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd July 2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 606741)
RiK started a trend with the house that some bloke built because since then we all seem to have been plagued by shit films :lol:

I shall be watching the third film tonight.

I'm not expecting much.

I bought a set from MM last week that wasn't the same as what turned up so it's going back for a full refund. It was supposed to be the Anchor Bay box set but it's some cheapness from Digital Entertainment. The film quality is fine though...just the films themselves that suck.

J Harker 2nd July 2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 606747)
I shall be watching the third film tonight.

I'm not expecting much.

I bought a set from MM last week that wasn't the same as what turned up so it's going back for a full refund. It was supposed to be the Anchor Bay box set but it's some cheapness from Digital Entertainment. The film quality is fine though...just the films themselves that suck.

I seem to recall the third aka The Horror Show being ok. But 2 and 4 are complete arsefodder. I still like the first one and it's the only one I own.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd July 2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 606748)
I seem to recall the third aka The Horror Show being ok. But 2 and 4 are complete arsefodder. I still like the first one and it's the only one I own.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thankfully this set only has the first three films. :woot:

MrBarlow 3rd July 2019 01:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Runestone. 1991.

A Norse Runestone is found, a team of archaeologist try to uncover its ancient writing and find a connection between a young boy's visions and nightmares and who can stop a creature from bringing the end of the world.

With a good star cast from William Hickey, Joan Severance, Peter Riegert and Alexander Godunov I thought this would have potential to be a decent horror/chiller factor to it but I was wrong. Are we jinxed that some films we have watched turned to be crap?. The actors in this could not save the movie, it was just bland, the effects were crap and the creature looked like a cheap knock off from Rawhead Rex. I did comment on Rawhead Rex and how it looked like rubber but this film made it look even worse. I was hoping it would get better...only decent part of it was the end credits. Avoid.

bleakshaun 3rd July 2019 05:44 AM

The Fifth Element
Bruce Willis teams up with Milla Jovovich to defeat a ball of evil from destroying the world.
I've seen this so many times that I can't really say anything else about it, although didn't realise zorgs men wear little blue plastic hats.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd July 2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 606761)
The Runestone. 1991.

A Norse Runestone is found, a team of archaeologist try to uncover its ancient writing and find a connection between a young boy's visions and nightmares and who can stop a creature from bringing the end of the world.

With a good star cast from William Hickey, Joan Severance, Peter Riegert and Alexander Godunov I thought this would have potential to be a decent horror/chiller factor to it but I was wrong. Are we jinxed that some films we have watched turned to be crap?. The actors in this could not save the movie, it was just bland, the effects were crap and the creature looked like a cheap knock off from Rawhead Rex. I did comment on Rawhead Rex and how it looked like rubber but this film made it look even worse. I was hoping it would get better...only decent part of it was the end credits. Avoid.

I liked this. Thought it was good fun.

Justin101 3rd July 2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 606750)
Thankfully this set only has the first three films. :woot:

The fourth one is bloody awful and features a singing pizza. The third one has nothing to do with House and is a good horror thriller retreading the executed killer comes back for vengeance trope. I liked it.

Rik 3rd July 2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 606779)
The fourth one is bloody awful and features a singing pizza. The third one has nothing to do with House and is a good horror thriller retreading the executed killer comes back for vengeance trope. I liked it.

Yeah, it’s the best one IMO

Nordicdusk 3rd July 2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 606779)
The third one has nothing to do with House and is a good horror thriller retreading the executed killer comes back for vengeance trope. I liked it.

Sounds promising ill give it a shot.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd July 2019 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 606781)
Sounds promising ill give it a shot.

House III - The Horror Show (1989)

It's much better than the first two but is a blatant rip off of Wes Craven's Shocker and some of the dumber Elm Street movies with it's dream world of dark dripping factories.

Watchable when either Lance Henriksen or Brion James' Horace Pinker like killer are on screen which thankfully is most of the time, House III is the only one of the films i'd ever consider watching again, but when all's said and done it's not as good as the vastly underrated Shocker.

Susan Foreman 3rd July 2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 606782)
House III - The Horror Show (1989)

There's some question about whether this is actually part of the franchise or not

It was originally entitled 'The Horror Show' and was intended as an entry into the 'House' series, but the producers felt it was too intense when compared to the more comedic earlier installments, 'House' and 'House II: The Second Story', so it was marketed as an unrelated product

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd July 2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 606784)
There's some question about whether this is actually part of the franchise or not

It was originally entitled 'The Horror Show' and was intended as an entry into the 'House' series, but the producers felt it was too intense when compared to the more comedic earlier installments, 'House' and 'House II: The Second Story', so it was marketed as an unrelated product

Yeah, i read that. It seems as it was lumped into the series as it was produced by Cunningham who did the other House films.