Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 29th May 2023 03:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Police Academy 6: City Under Seige. 1989.

Captain Harris and Proctor are now relocated to a new area that's been hit by a string of robberies,the mayor and Chief Hurst bring in Lassard and his misfits to help.

We get Nick, Hightower, Hooks, Callahan, Jones, Tackleberry and Fackler re-joining the team to find three crooks under the Influence of a criminal mastermind. Again Harris becomes the butt of a few pranks, Proctor actually showing a bit more of a brain and Kenneth Mars as the clueless wording mayor who loves model trains and boats.

The laughs are a bit more frequent in this especially when Fackler makes his first appearance and then returns back to the station and everyone avoids him, Jones and Hightower show of their strength and fight skills and able to come out with a laugh and smile.

Attachment 246486

MrBarlow 29th May 2023 06:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Police Academy: Mission To Moscow. 1994.

Lassard, Harris and their team travel to Russia to help capture a gangster who has designed a game that can be used to infiltrate their governments systems.

George Gaynes, Leslie Easterbrook, G.W.Bailey, Michael Winslow and David Graf are the only ones to return for this one, Bubba Smith, Marion Ramsay and Lance Kinsey's characters are not even mentioned or given a reason why they are missing...so poor writing. Charlie Schlatter is the newer recruit along with Claire Forlani as the young Russian officer.

Was this meant to be funny...what was with adding in the cartoonish sound effects every five minutes. Were the stars including Ron Perlman embarrassed to be in this. 1994 was not the best for Christopher Lee to be associated with the film Funny Man and to be in this. How do I pretend that this one didn't exist??

Attachment 246487

Demoncrat 29th May 2023 08:45 AM

John Wick: Chapter 4 (2023, Chad Stahelski)

Pandering bejeesus. Videogame of the year. The violence!
It still gave the demon a headache. The most stylized flick that I've seen since The Neon Demon :nod::nod::nod:
Lawdy.

Justin101 29th May 2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 686574)
John Wick: Chapter 4 (2023, Chad Stahelski)

Pandering bejeesus. Videogame of the year. The violence!
It still gave the demon a headache. The most stylized flick that I've seen since The Neon Demon :nod::nod::nod:
Lawdy.

I’m excited to see this so I need to ask, is it more of the same and did you enjoy the other 3? I mean none of it is realistic in the first place.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th May 2023 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All the Colours of the Dark (1972)

Sergio Martino's genre bending Giallo which plays out for the most part as a frenetic horror film.

The story concerns Jane, (Edwige Fenech) a young woman living in London, who following personal tragedy is having recurring nightmares of a man with blue eyes stalking her with a knife. From here the film delves deeper into Jane's psyche as she is coerced into taking part in a Black Magic rite as all her dreams seemingly become a nightmarish reality.

Sex, violence, hallucinations, murder...you name it. In All the Colours of the Dark director Sergio Martino leaves his giallo / crime comfort zone and drags us kicking and screaming into a terrifying dream world of violence and sexually explicit black magic. The film has a disorienting effect the longer it goes on, as Jane's reality becomes lost in her nightmares and gives the viewer a woozy unrelenting confusion as you feel trapped alongside her, seemingly as unhinged as she is. The film really gets under your skin due to Martino's eerie surreal camera work and a traumatic score from Bruno Nicolai.

It's only in the final reel that the film sports any resemblance to a giallo thanks to some unconventional plot twists and turns.

A cracking cast of supporting players including Julian Ugarte, Nieves Navarro and Martino regulars George Hilton and Ivan Rassimov never waste a moment but it's the outstanding Fenech, in her best performance really holds the film and keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat.

Martino's film is often mesmerizing, extremely gripping and always unpredictable. Quite simply, All the Colours of the Dark is one of my favourite Italian horror films of all time.

Demoncrat 29th May 2023 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 686576)
I’m excited to see this so I need to ask, is it more of the same and did you enjoy the other 3? I mean none of it is realistic in the first place.

There is just a different structure to this mother tbh. Hence the hefty running time ahem. In part it is right up there with the other 3, buuuuuuuuuut ..... enjoy??? :nod::rolleyes:

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th May 2023 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Rock (1996)

A disenchanted general (Ed Harris) and his crack team of mercenary marines takes over the island prison of Alcatraz, it's cells full of unfortunate tourist hostages, and threatens to launch deadly poison gas rockets at the city of San Francisco if his (not entirely unreasonable) demands aren't met.

In desperation the FBI and the White House enlist a chemical warfare expert (Nicolas Cage) and an imprisoned former SAS officer and the only man to ever escape Alcatraz as played by Sean Connery who are seen as their best chance, along with a team of marines led by Michael Biehn, to break in and stop Harris.

Easily director Michael Bay's best film, this is chock full of corny but fun dialogue, outlandish stunts and fantastic action sequences especially a thrilling car chase through the streets of San Francisco which is totally unnecessary but a highlight of this adrenaline rush of a film.

It helps that there's a cast of quality support players such as John Spencer who excels at playing bureaucrats and politicians (See his outstanding performance as the White House chief of staff throughout classic series The West Wing also), David Morse, Tony Todd and William Forsythe who give fine back up.

Despite both Connery and Cage being great it's Ed Harris who walks away with the film - just as he did with pretty much anything he was in during this period such as Apollo 13 (1995) and The Truman Show (1998) - his tortured general really gains the sympathy of the audience and is so unlike the one dimensional bad guys that turned up in films like Executive Decision (1996) Air Force One (1997) and many others from the 80's and 90's.

I'd not seen The Rock in years, but watching it on Blu-ray last night was a fabulous throwback to the last great decade of cinema as far as i'm concerned.

It looks stunning in HD by the way.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th May 2023 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
American Graffiti (1973)

In short, director George Lucas' best film

A film so good it was practically remade by Richard Linklater as 1993's Dazed and Confused. So much so that scenes from this could easily have fitted perfectly into Linklater's film. It tells the story as a series of vignettes of a group of high school students on the night they finish college for good and go onto other things. Playing out as a study of the cruising in cars / rock n' roll California generation of the late 50's early 60's. (It's set in 1962).

The music is a big part of this film and Lucas beautifully inter weaves it into scenes in fact not a scene goes by without music,
but it's the way it's done that makes Lucas and American Graffiti so brilliant. The music isn't the films soundtrack, songs to highlight scenes, it is the film. All the kids have the radio playing as they cruise around, all the diners have it on, and it's the same pirate radio DJ - Wolfman Jack. The songs waft in and out of car windows and classic American diners as kids walk by. It's very difficult to explain without watching the film, lets just say it's ****ing amazing how it's handled.

The film also sports a cast to die for. Perhaps it didn't at the time but it certainly does now. - Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfuss, Harrison Ford, Kathleen Quinlan, Charles Martin Smith, Bo Hopkins... all just starting out and all quite simply brilliant. The standouts to me though are Paul Le Mat and Mackenzie Phillips as a mismatched pair duped into hanging out with each other on the one night they'd prefer to be elsewhere.The whole cast make their characters so believable, the characters are your friends, I truly can't say better than that.

Finally i have to mention Lucas and his crew on their guerrilla film making techniques. The way in which they get the cameras in and around the fantastic period cars as they weave the streets is breathtaking.

American Graffiti isn't a film you watch, it's a film you experience, it's a film you live. It's a film i love.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th May 2023 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 686584)
American Graffiti (1973)

In short, director George Lucas' best film

I agree with everything you said in your excellent review of this wonderful piece of Americana, especially your opening line.:nod:

trebor8273 29th May 2023 08:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYvt8...JhaWxlcg%3D%3D

Another wonderful Ealing comedy , this time the small village of Titfield sets out to save it's trainline , they have too contended with many mishaps and the owner of a bus company in a rival village who sees this as a golden opportunity. Simply wonderful .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeH_f...VyZ2F0ZW4gY29w

Just like twins Arnie shows he has a knack for comedy. Here he plays a tough cop who ends up going undercover in a kindergarten to find the wife of a dangerous criminal he's trying to put away. A tough as he may be these little tykes are more terrifying than any criminal . A classic .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S94e4...9vZCB0cmFpbGVy

Probably my favourite Price movie which is really unofficial third Dr Phibes, here he plays a actor who seeks revenge on a bunch of critics who mocked and belittled him, using the Bards tales too dispatch them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPvBQ...JhaWxlcg%3D%3D

Well this was better than I though it would be , a woman in a Jewish village summons/ makes a Golem to protect the village but it looks like it could be a greater evil than what it was made to protect from. Part horror folkstory and story dealing with grief of losing a child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5tUE...IHRyYWlsZXI%3D

Simply wonderful , a wonderful uplifting , funny and heartwarming tale as we follow a young bear with a disturbing marmalade habit whom comes to London moves in with the browns and gets in to all sorts of misadventures. I can't believe that anyone could dislike this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52x5H...IHRyYWlsZXI%3D

The rare film which the sequel is better than the original , Paddington ends up behind bars when he is trying to find a present for his great aunt's 100 birthday . The Browns and old and new friends set out to help a prove our heros innocence. Once another uplifting and heartwarming film. Will they be able to continue there streak when the third comes out.

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THriY...bGVyIDE5NDk%3D

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th May 2023 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Rover (2014)

A beautifully filmed dystopian western drama set in the Australian outback ten years after a global economic collapse.

The story, which is slight to say the least, has drifter Guy Pearce on the trail of three thieves who stole his car during their getaway. Pearce meets up with the brother of one of the thieves (Robert Pattinson) who is badly injured and left for dead from a gun shot wound, takes Pattinson to a doctor who performs surgery on him then together Pearce and Pattinson set out the the gang's home.

One of those films where the look, feel and stylistics are more interesting than the plot itself which has been done so many times before. Both Pearce and Pattinson are very good, Pearce in particular has a 'don't f*ck with me' intensity that he carries through each and every scene making his every meeting with someone the feel of a confrontation giving the film a high level of tension throughout.

This aggravated tension helps the bleak nihilist tone which at times is unrelenting and often brutal but following a mesmerising first forty minutes it does lose it's way in what seems like scene after scene of mumbling drawl which brings an already glacially paced film to a halt before picking up again in the final twenty minutes.

The final scene tells you exactly why Pearce wanted his car back from the thieves even though there were working cars littering the lawless landscape. John Wick would definitely have done the same.

MrBarlow 30th May 2023 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kill Zone. 2005.

A police inspector tries to bring a gangster to justice but fails, when he is due to retire, his replacement who is a by the book inspector goes off the book when his new team are killed.

This has a interesting opening of a witness heading to court and involved in a car wreck, jump three years later the film takes place on fathers day. Sammo Hung plays the newly father and mob boss who gets away freely, Simon Yam plays the Inspector who tries to lead his men off the book when they are given evidence of the mob boss committing murder, and Donnie Yen as the newly promoted Inspector who is assigned to the team. The film is fast paced but not so much action except with a roof top running scene with the police and metal bars chasing a suspect, towards the end there is a great weapons fight and a good finale fight between Hung and Yen. A decent early evening film viewing.

Attachment 246514

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th May 2023 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 686601)
The Rover (2014)

A beautifully filmed dystopian western drama set in the Australian outback ten years after a global economic collapse.

As this is on my watchlist, with the Blu-ray I bought sometime ago still unwatched, it's reassuring to know that it received your approval.

trebor8273 30th May 2023 08:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjNcT...JhaWxlcg%3D%3D

Brooklyn plumbers and brothers Mario and Luigi end up being transported to the mushroom Kingdom , when they get separate Mario seeks to find his brother and save the mushroom Kingdom with the help of princess Peach and Donkey Kong. Enjoyable with lots of nods too other Nintendo games, even those who know little or nothing of Mario will get enjoyment from this.

Now watching which will be by first viewing .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7pKq...Btb3ZpZQ%3D%3D

Up next

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZTHw...FpbGVyIA%3D%3D

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th May 2023 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 686625)
As this is on my watchlist, with the Blu-ray I bought sometime ago still unwatched, it's reassuring to know that it received your approval.

Yes, my second watch of it. I thought it sagged around the hour mark both times though.

J Harker 30th May 2023 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 686626)

Now watching which will be by first viewing .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7pKq...Btb3ZpZQ%3D%3D

The Others is excellent treb.

Demoncrat 31st May 2023 10:16 AM

Started early as I had to stay in today, with ...

El Violador Infernal (1988, Damian Acosta)

A charming tale of a man whom is given a second chance in life to continue his good works ::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::scared:: confused:
Ahem. Camp AF and appalling violent in equal measures, this one should make Boxing Day unless something else comes up on the radar.

MrBarlow 31st May 2023 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
12 Rounds: Lockdown. 2015.

Die Hard clone in a police station, this time it's wrestler Dean Ambrose who uncovers a bit of police corruption and the bad cops are hot on his trails before everything is exposed. The character build up is decent and why a policeman is returning to duty and sat across from a rookie officer. I never managed to find the second One and after seeing The Condemned 2, Randy Orton isn't a great actor, but the title does refer to how many bullets Ambrose has unlike the first when it was a 12 Round game of cat and mouse. If you like Dean Ambrose and a ton of one liners give it a go with this bit it's nothing spectacular except some good shoot outs.

Attachment 246541

MrBarlow 1st June 2023 12:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cellular. 2004.

Kim Basinger plays a kidnapped woman by Jason Statham and his gang, with a smashed up phone and manages to wire it together and calls stranger Chris Evans and sends him on a hunt. William H. Macy plays the desk sergeant who goes on the hunt for the young man and his new phone stranger.

From director David R. Ellis this was better than i thought it would be, after the opening credits where are thrown into the plot and kept wondering why she is targeted and when we do it is a case of what will happen now. As it is a action/crime thriller writer Larry Cohen does ad in some light humour, it's not a edge of your seat film but certainly worth a glance at.

Attachment 246542

peter alex 1st June 2023 03:20 AM

i prefer the hong kong version from 2008 dir by benny chan it's more intense and the acting is far better there is more action than the original film i have seen the original not as good as a thought it would be kim Basinger is great in it she's probably the best thing in the film

MrBarlow 1st June 2023 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter alex (Post 686694)
i prefer the hong kong version from 2008 dir by benny chan it's more intense and the acting is far better there is more action than the original film i have seen the original not as good as a thought it would be kim Basinger is great in it she's probably the best thing in the film

Thanks for that Peter, will have a look for it :thankingyou:

Frankie Teardrop 1st June 2023 04:55 PM

ENYS MEN – On Enys Men (it’s Cornish for ‘Stone Island’), we watch an isolated woman in a loud red cagoul tend to a flower patch. She also takes careful note of soil temperatures, drops stones down a mine shaft and makes cups of tea. She does all this rather a lot. She might be part of an under-the-radar science experiment, or perhaps just the victim of some awful compulsion; either way, her silent repetitions are pretty much the meat of this film, the second from Mark Jenkin, here playing with a similar MO to the one he used in the celebrated ‘Bait’. ‘Enys Men’ is destined to alienate with its stretches of non-event, but this is clearly, to me at least, A HORROR FILM, one where narrative is less important than the profound feeling of unease that creeps in at the sides, in the sound, the shots, above all in the edit. There’s a story of sorts, maybe something about trauma, lost loves and accidents, but it doesn’t really matter with such a suffocating mood. Highest recommendation. I don’t think everyone will be into it, but personally I doubt I’ll see a better film this year.

VACATION OF TERROR – You’re meant to talk about feelings and stuff in horror movies these days. But I’m also a big fan of ‘the ghost train approach to horror’, which, if it exists as a real thing in the world outside this review, is basically just an excuse to bugger the story and turn a film into a load of special effects, one after the other. ‘Poltergeist’ might be the posh version. ‘Vacation Of Terror’ is the cheapskate option. Here, you get a haunted doll and a spooky house – after a leisurely intro, VOT suddenly cranks it up to pile sight gag on sight gag, all of them admittedly a bit rubbish; witness the sudden appearance of a fridge full of rotting fruit, then someone floating through a room on the least invisible of movie strings ect ect… all the while, those creepy doll eyes go clickety click via the same shot, which must be repeated at least a thousand times throughout. Genius. I love shit like this. It’s old fashioned, but it is what it is, a horror show relic from when the approach was more about spectacle. From one of the Cardonas.

VACATION OF TERROR 2 – See the above, only revved up to boiling point with the inclusion of more stuff about magical amulets, bloody and bizarre goings-on beneath the world’s most pointlessly elaborate Halloween Cake (that came out so easily but obviously remember that Halloween Cakes don’t actually exist), mullet heaven, Mexican pop singers from 1990 who sound like they’re really from 1987, an impressive but profoundly empty fake film set, an hilariously overstated revolving room that brims with page 3 and car posters, and monsters that look like they’re from the crap bits of ‘Demons 2’ but are secretly better than anything in D1&2 combined. Another Latin American phantasmagoria that I had a lot of fun with, so approach with open arms if you have a hankering.

MrBarlow 1st June 2023 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The System. 2022.

A marine is caught up in a drug bust and given a choice, go undercover in a notorious prison and uncover what is going on or face 10 years in jail.

Tyrese Gibson shows he can be a main lead and also bad ass in the fighting circuit, this has all been done before, corrupt warden organising fights between the prisoners, concealing a drug operation and siding with the prison fighter champion. This was nothing spectacular, the fight scenes are decent, the guy playing the Warden tends to over act alot and by half way through you know how it will end. Decent enough for background noise.

Attachment 246545

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st June 2023 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 686706)
ENYS MEN – On Enys Men (it’s Cornish for ‘Stone Island’), we watch an isolated woman in a loud red cagoul tend to a flower patch. She also takes careful note of soil temperatures, drops stones down a mine shaft and makes cups of tea. She does all this rather a lot. She might be part of an under-the-radar science experiment, or perhaps just the victim of some awful compulsion; either way, her silent repetitions are pretty much the meat of this film, the second from Mark Jenkin, here playing with a similar MO to the one he used in the celebrated ‘Bait’. ‘Enys Men’ is destined to alienate with its stretches of non-event, but this is clearly, to me at least, A HORROR FILM, one where narrative is less important than the profound feeling of unease that creeps in at the sides, in the sound, the shots, above all in the edit. There’s a story of sorts, maybe something about trauma, lost loves and accidents, but it doesn’t really matter with such a suffocating mood. Highest recommendation. I don’t think everyone will be into it, but personally I doubt I’ll see a better film this year.

As that other fella would say.

Sold!!

nicholasrope 1st June 2023 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 686708)
The System. 2022.

A marine is caught up in a drug bust and given a choice, go undercover in a notorious prison and uncover what is going on or face 10 years in jail.

Tyrese Gibson shows he can be a main lead and also bad ass in the fighting circuit, this has all been done before, corrupt warden organising fights between the prisoners, concealing a drug operation and siding with the prison fighter champion. This was nothing spectacular, the fight scenes are decent, the guy playing the Warden tends to over act alot and by half way through you know how it will end. Decent enough for background noise.

Attachment 246545

I've been looking at this one, trailer didn't thrill me

MrBarlow 1st June 2023 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 686714)
I've been looking at this one, trailer didn't thrill me

I took it on a blind watch, it is one of those now seen it that's it movies moving on. What appealed to me was Tyrese, aside from Fast AND Furious, he has done other decent films but this was a bad mistake for him.

MrBarlow 1st June 2023 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Walking Tall. 2004.

We got The Rock playing a ex soldier Chris Vaughn returning home, getting into a fight, beaten up and left for dead. After the investigation closes he decides to run for Sheriff and wages a war on his old buddy who is using the old saw mill as a drug lab.

Johnny Knoxville is the best buddy and convicted felon who is deputied, so now Vaughn is wanting to clean up crooked cops and now has a felon as a deputy...sticking with the tradition of been crooked...way to go. The original may not have been the best with Joe Don Baker but showed more drama as it did action, this is basically action that is inspired not based on real events. The film does seemed rushed instead of taking time. I was never a fan of this at first but still i enjoyed it.

Attachment 246548

trebor8273 1st June 2023 07:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7pKq...VycyB0cmFpbGVy

A excellent , well acted and chilling gothic horror. We follow Nichole Kidman who plays a woman living with her two children waiting for her husband to return, strange things are happening in the mansion they live in and things get stranger when she hires some servants . As I said very enjoyable and atmospheric even if I saw the twist coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Hbz...lsZXIgMQ%3D%3D

Next to Spiderman 2 this is my favourite Spiderman movies. It's a fantastic tale that looks great and has very unique artstyles . We follow Miles who has too take up the mantle of Spiderman after Peter is killed and has too save the world from the kingpin luckily he has the help of some other spider people .

Off too see the sequel tomorrow hope it's even half as good as this.

Next .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwnb0...N1cyB0cmFpbGVy

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st June 2023 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Crime on the Hill (1933)

A classic British murder mystery in which the local vicar turns sleuth in order to find out who poisoned the local squire.

Crime on the Hill is one of those films that borders on old dark house horror as much as it is a look at quaint village life and idle gossip in the early 1930's with red herrings galore and it all comes together in a tightly constructed script.

One of the films plus points is it's one of only three speaking movie roles credited to Phyllis Dare who was a leading Picture Postcard Beauty at the turn of the 1900's

Network's dvd looks really pretty for such an obscure film.

Frankie Teardrop 2nd June 2023 12:09 PM

M3GAN – I’m sure you all know what it’s about. I saw it, I liked it. I didn’t love it, but I thought it was enjoyable enough, even slightly moving at points, and to be fair there aren’t many places you can take sub-‘Child’s Play’ rip-offs these days without getting deep, which this doesn’t. At first I thought it might, with conveniently topical AI supposedly poised to give us all a good hammering and thus perhaps prompting a host of meditative Alex Garland style reflections, but this goes more for the emotional side of things, being an orphan story at heart. But it doesn’t really plumb any depths on that level either, stretching only as far as hamfisted metaphors (a hole in someone’s fence is used to comment on a central character’s lack of mature boundaries), but again, aside from the carnage, there is a mawkishness about it that works as quite an effective hook. There you go, it’s basically slick, well-oiled mainstream cheese about a killer robot, happy to serve up popcorn thrills with a slightly dead-eyed smirk. In other words, I was entertained.

GHOST IN THE MACHINE – More techno-horror, this time from back when t’internet was crossing over from the jealous clutches of hippie tech goblins and it was all supposedly quite exciting for anyone who suddenly wanted novelty porn at the touch of a button. I just remember feeling profoundly resentful when I had to use email for the first time. Anyway, GITM is a bit overlooked these days and would probably get a proper AI-generated kicking if it ever came anywhere near to a legit boutique release, but it sets out to do what exploitation films are meant to – “sod the moral and social consequences of this new technology, what would happen if the ghost of a serial killer got inside the world wide web and made everything look like Evil Tron?” I wish the film WAS whole heartedly that instead of just sort-of. But sometimes ‘sort-of’ is ‘good enough’; there’s the 2oth century movie cyber imagination’s clunky visuals, a few splattery moments, “gosh was that the past oh shit oh god I’m getting old will I die please give me some more booze” type nostalgia for us olds, and, of course, general nineties horror values. It’s OK. It reminded me a bit of ‘Brainscan’. The German Blu ray looks sehr gut imo.

BURIED ALIVE – A reform school, improbable outpourings of swarming ants, wonky-angled hallucinations of the least convenient variety, really stupid devices that contrive to plunge people into cellars, John Carradine moaning in the night, Donald Pleasance in a bad wig… in the beginning it seemed to have all the ingredients of a killer bad film. Halfway through something happened and it became a slightly rote exercise in trying to find out about a slasher’s dull plot; people are bricked up and there is a black cat wandering around, but in all honesty EA Poe would NOT give a toss about this dreck. The good points still stand, but it needed at least a couple more of them. Robert Vaughn looks absolutely delighted to be included; Pleasance witters and Carradine’s only in it for the moaning and to stick his hand out from behind some bricks. The director’s ‘Edge Of Sanity’ was another nearly man that needed its nice style and weirdness amping up and rescuing from the plod.

Rob4 2nd June 2023 07:13 PM

Well I can't say that I saw it but I just tuned in to TalkingPicturesTV and caught the last 10 minutes of the Hammer film The Steel Bayonet.

I've never seen it before so I'll have to try and catch it the next time they show it.

It's a pretty ropey print but I'd like to tick it off. This is a 'heads up' for anyone one else in the same boat...

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd June 2023 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Slayground (1983)

Impressive British crime thriller bordering on slasher movie in which a car full of thieves crashes into a second car killing the daughter of a wealthy businessman who hires a hitman to get revenge on the robbers (Led by Peter Coyote).

When Coyote realises he's the target of the final hit he flees to north west England and holes up with former accomplice Mel Smith but the hitman who enjoys taunting his victims follows him.

How many crime films begin in New York and end up in Blackpool and Southport? Not too many i'd guess but that's one of the many impressive things about this fast paced thriller. Each time the hitman appears, hidden in the shadows wearing his wide brimmed hat it feels like a slasher movie as the killer cackles and mocks the men as he stalks them round various giallo-esq settings culminating in a showdown with Coyote at a dilapidated Southport show ground.

There's a genuine grimness to the second half of the film, it isn't the sunny seaside Britain you'd see in picture postcards, it's a decaying, forgotten by subsequent governments view of the north west, grey in look, even more so in atmosphere. Although none of the kills happen on camera we always see the aftermath and it's pretty brutal stuff at times and also suggest the FX budget may have been as underfunded as the coastal towns Coyote and the film retreats to.

Slayground is a really enjoyable genre straddling thriller. Although the Network dvd is now out of print it's a film owned by StudioCanal so it would be rather nice if they could give it some HD love and affection even though this dvd looked good anyway.

MrBarlow 3rd June 2023 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Baby Driver. 2017.

Ansel Elgort plays partially deaf Baby, a fast getaway driver for crime boss Kevin Spacey who organises big pay off hits. When a gun collection goes.awry with hot head Jamie Foxx and couple Jon Hamm and Eiza Gonzalez, everything is thrown into turmoil.

This was a blind watch and seeing Edgar Wright as the director certainly drew my attention to it a bit more and is able to add in some mild humour. The driving sequences are decent, some are better than what the makers of The Transporter tried to achieve but couldn't get to work. The music used seemed to be picked from every decade and entertaining throughout the film. This is one of certainly come back to re-watch.

Attachment 246564

Rob4 3rd June 2023 08:37 AM

Shiver of the Vampires (Indicator)

Even as a fan of Rollin I sometimes get bored as his films progress (or don't as some would say :lol:).

However, Indicator's restoration of this movie is so stunning, with all the candy coloured lighting popping off the screen, that it totally immersed me, and I was able to completely ignore the slow plotting and stilted dialogue.

Recommended :nod:

MrBarlow 3rd June 2023 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Machete Kills. 2013.

Machete is hired by the U.S. Government to track and kill a arms dealer.

Despite being a near parody of a action film with some over the top acting from Amber Heard who really should have been killed off earlier in the film yet we do see her getting pussy punched by Michelle Rodriguez and some daft kills, this was a hoot. Charlie Sheen plays the president who has managed to legalised cannabis...every stoner's dream come true hires Machete to go after arms dealer Mel Gibson who gives out a decent James Bond type villain role. Robert Rodriguez does make the plot look daft but still manages to keep it entertaining.

Attachment 246565

MrBarlow 3rd June 2023 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bad Boys. 1983.

What Scum did for British cinema, this American film kicks it up a notch, this is gritty, suspenseful film dealing with drugs, rape, death and young delinquents in a unstable hostile surroundings. Sean Penn plays Mick who is sentenced after killing the younger brother of a rival gang in a drug steal gone wrong. There is plenty of recognisable faces and the actors certainly pushed their acting abilities to make it believable and hardship of 'Juvie' in America. This I have bypassed for a while but my neighbour insisted I watch it and glad I did, from the start the film gets better and better with great built up tense moments.

Attachment 246567

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd June 2023 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Silent Enemy (1958)

Based on the real life exploits of Lionel "Buster" Crabb, a bomb disposal expert who leads a team of divers who defuse bombs placed on the hulls of British ships off the coast of Gibraltar by Italian frogmen using 'underwater chariots'.

Crabb is someone i was unaware of until watching this film. Laurence Harvey is very good in the role depicting an officer who commands both the respect of his men and also his superiors in Naval High Command.

The underwater scenes are shot brilliantly with the location work on the coast of Gibraltar excellent giving the film a genuinely realistic look.

The Silent Enemy i found really entertaining and also enlightening as it builds up towards an almost Bond like race against time to destroy the Italian frogmen's underwater base before they decimate the incoming British Naval fleet on it's way to North Africa.

As a final thing it's probably the only film that Sid James, brilliant as the divers drill instructor, is cast alongside Italian Gothic horror star Giacomo Rossi-Stuart

MrBarlow 4th June 2023 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Vendetta. 2022.

William Duncan watches his daughter die in a gang initiation, when the justice system fails he seeks a personnel war against a mob family.

Bruce Willis in his last film role plays the mob boss who's boys run the street, Theo Rossi who plays the older son does tend to over act on every scene. Thomas Jane is the new friend and pipe smoking gun dealer who has a "The South Shall Rise Again" accent. Mike Tyson is the back door factory car dealer who doesn't have a big screen time. Clive Standen plays the heartbroken man who goes on a one man war and isn't afraid to take a bullet. This wasn't a spectacular as it was made out to be, good for Bruce Willis to do one last role and making the movie a bit more entertaining for his screen presence.

Attachment 246577

Frankie Teardrop 4th June 2023 12:43 PM

WINNIE THE POOH: BLOOD AND HONEY – Is it as bad as everyone says? Yep, in a way, but as if you haven’t seen a shite horror film before. I don’t know what they were all up in arms about. Winnie The Pooh and Piglet as lumbering serial killers, I think that’s genius; I mean, I always thought AA Milne was a load of toss anyway so it’s not like the makers of this lovely construction were shitting on any treasured memories or anything as far as I was concerned. As always, the little things amuse; the fact that some people who look like they belong in Hollyoakes have been shoehorned into the slasher template; the presence of a Hillbilly gang in the UK countryside; the bit when someone suddenly remembers they have a gun upstairs; that most of the insipid 'humour' falls away to reveal quite a grubby, meanspirited core; etc. Not much tension so it does get a little boring after a while, but there’s some nice visuals and even a bit of atmosphere. Mild / medium bloodshed and sleaze, which they might’ve considered upping slightly, but the obnoxiousness and the silliness of the set-up carry it through. You could say it was a missed opportunity – in the right hands, it could’ve been a beast. But yeah, I quite liked it, I had a good time with it, making it a guarded recommend for people who like shit movies ie most users of this forum.

THE DENTIST 2 – From Brian Yuzna. I quite liked ‘The Dentist’, but I was getting restless with this. Corbin Bernsen gives another good turn as whacko Dr Feinstone, this time washed up in hicksville. He’s a murderer on the run, but folks need their teeth sorting out so I guess they just leave him to it. A kind of ‘noirish small-town murder with intrigue and double crossing’ feeling evolves, but ‘The Dentist 2’, despite basically being an OKish watch, could have done with a few more of the kind of flourishes Yuzna gets into when he starts thinking he’s authentically weird like a Cronenberg or a Lynch – he treats us to a couple of insects-in-mouth hallucinations and some jagged toothy maws, but we really needed more of them. And just more horror stuff generally. Well, passable I suppose. Apparently the BBFC felt obliged “to remove sadistic details” from it back when it came out; you’d be forgiven for wondering which ones, though.

MrBarlow 4th June 2023 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 686769)

THE DENTIST 2 – From Brian Yuzna. I quite liked ‘The Dentist’, but I was getting restless with this. Corbin Bernsen gives another good turn as whacko Dr Feinstone, this time washed up in hicksville. He’s a murderer on the run, but folks need their teeth sorting out so I guess they just leave him to it. A kind of ‘noirish small-town murder with intrigue and double crossing’ feeling evolves, but ‘The Dentist 2’, despite basically being an OKish watch, could have done with a few more of the kind of flourishes Yuzna gets into when he starts thinking he’s authentically weird like a Cronenberg or a Lynch – he treats us to a couple of insects-in-mouth hallucinations and some jagged toothy maws, but we really needed more of them. And just more horror stuff generally. Well, passable I suppose. Apparently the BBFC felt obliged “to remove sadistic details” from it back when it came out; you’d be forgiven for wondering which ones, though.

I had this on VHS in the late 90s, watched it...or attempted to watch it and only got half a hour into it and turned it off. It seemed to follow the near same path as The Stepfather 2 but failed badly.