Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nosferatu42 25th February 2024 12:50 AM

From the looks of it you are on a roll with some classic films at the moment so i would definitely recommend it while you are in the mood.

Sunset Boulevard that you mentioned was another i put off for ages but really enjoyed.

Still never seen Singing in the rain though.

MrBarlow 25th February 2024 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 696408)
From the looks of it you are on a roll with some classic films at the moment so i would definitely recommend it while you are in the mood.

Sunset Boulevard that you mentioned was another i put off for ages but really enjoyed.

Still never seen Singing in the rain though.

Just picking out some movies I haven't watched.

Susan Foreman 25th February 2024 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 696406)
The Red Shoes

This film was the basis for the Kate Bush mini-movie / song 'The Red Shoes'

Justin101 25th February 2024 08:06 AM

I've wanted to watch The Red Shoes (also The Tales of Hoffmann) for so many years, just never got around to buying it, I'm going to make an effort to pick it up in my next round of purchasing :)

Demoncrat 25th February 2024 08:43 AM

It's worth the wait J. :nod:

Alps (2011, Yorgos Lanthimos)

Well then.
Went back to this one in anticipation for his new effort.
Like all his films, you are brought into a world where things just seem ... off ... somewhat.
We follow a bunch of folk who make an unusual commitment, and the consequences of these actions.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2024 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 696375)
Singing In The Rain. 1952.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 696398)
Sunset Blvd. 1950.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 696406)
The Red Shoes

A Masterpiece.

9/10

I completely with you about Singin' in the Rain, a delightful and superbly made film that is rightfully acclaimed as one of the greatest American films – I have it in my top 10 of the best films ever made.

I am writing this and thinking of the songs in the film, with particular highlights being Good Morning, All I Do Is Dream If You, Make 'Em Laugh, and You Were Meant for Me, which were carefully adapted from similar songs in older films and Singin' in the Rain as a joyous original song for this film.

The performances from Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds, Donald O'Connor, and Jean Hagan are brilliant, with tangible chemistry between Kelly and Reynolds, and Hagan hilariously tone deaf as the silent movie stars struggling to make it in 'talkies'.

Similarly, Sunset Boulevard looks at the way in which some actors (specifically Gloria Swanson's Norma Desmond) were left behind when cinema and the sound era.

It is one of my favourite films noir, a delicious black comedy, which is very cleverly written, superbly acted by Swanson, William Holden, and Erich von Stroheim, and skilfully directed.

It isn't my favourite Billy Wilder film as that honour goes to Some Like It Hot, but it is equal of The Apartment, Double Indemnity, and The Last Weekend as Wilder's finest five films.

Of all the films made by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, I think The Red Shoes is probably the best, closely followed by Black Narcissus, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, and A Matter of Life and Death, my personal favourite Powell and Pressburger film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2024 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 696409)
Just picking out some movies I haven't watched.

Should be fairly easy. You've watched every dodgy indie horror ever but never seen any classic Hollywood. :lol:

Good times are coming. :woot:

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2024 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jonah Hex (2010)

A scarred bounty hunter with a price on his head is offered a pardon by the US military to stop a terrorist wrecking the upcoming July 4th celebrations.

Although the first twenty minutes of the film are actually okay and more than watchable the rest is like watching fifty minutes of deleted scenes cobbled together to make an incomprehensible movie. It's like watching the deleted scenes without having seen the film itself.

The only plus point is the score from the band Mastodon and composer Marco Beltrami which is way superior to the film itself.

Susan Foreman 25th February 2024 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 696415)
I completely with you about Singin' in the Rain

I am writing this and thinking of the songs in the film, with particular highlights being Good Morning, All I Do Is Dream If You, Make 'Em Laugh, and You Were Meant for Me, which were carefully adapted from similar songs in older films and Singin' in the Rain as a joyous original song for this film

'Make 'Em Laugh', written by Arthur Freed and Nacio Herb Brown, and sang by Donald O'Connor in 'Singin' In The Rain'...

...is strangely reminiscent of 'Be A Clown', written by Cole Porter, and sang by Gene Kelly in the 1948 film 'The Pirate'

Not that this a bad thing, of course. Both are great films and great songs

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2024 01:17 PM

The same is true for All I Do Is Dream of You from Sadie McKee, given a higher tempo and a bit more joy as a flapper-style ensemble piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upUw-MedQ4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQ8oI6B6T0

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2024 01:25 PM

I also much prefer Gene Kelly's rendition of You Were Meant for Me to Charles King's delivery in The Broadway Melody (1929).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqC1zV7bUlg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6-j3IxQyj0

Demoncrat 26th February 2024 08:27 AM

The Zone Of Interest (2023, Jonathan Glazer)

Probably my film of the year then.
A man does a job. As his place of work tends to dominate the background, it's an easy commute. It's a happy place for a young family etc. But still ...
Well then. Far more restrained than his other films, this one doesn't really need to be showy ahem. Neither does it pander. :nod:
Recommended.

MrBarlow 26th February 2024 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Reach For The Sky. 1956.

Biopic of Douglas Badar who joined the RAF in 1928 and became a pilot and after loosing both his legs still carried on flying during WWII.

Kenneth More plays Badar who struggled with his disability and comes to learn on how to cope with it and leads a fighter squadron and his capture in a German POW camp and his mentions that he escaped twice. Some may say Badar was arrogant but loosing both your legs at the age of 21 will certainly change people's perspective on life and their attitude. More gives a great performance and came up with good ideas on the film and how he should be able to walk and give the audience the feel of authenticity on the character. A great entertaining flick.

Attachment 250173

nicholasrope 26th February 2024 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 696161)
Despite my apathy toward this i won't be getting rid of it. It's Disney so unlikely to ever get another physical release again. I won't be getting rid of any Disney / Fox dvd's either for the same reason.

I also need to get a Blu of next film On Stranger Tides seeing as that's the only one i'm currently missing from the collection.

Next Goal Wins, which is a Fox Searchlight release has been given a DVD release date and apparently, Sony will be releasing Disney Films, which may mean we'll get The Menu, See How They Run and Barbarian as well as Disney/Touchstone Films from the 80's and 90's hopefully.

MrBarlow 26th February 2024 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Harvey. 1950.

James Stewart plays Elwood who seems normal but claims he can see a six foot rabbit and introduces him to those around him and has one sided conversations. This one has you thinking that Elwood is a bit cuckoo in the head and the way James Stewart portrays the character brings out the sift side of the audience that he does believe that there is a rabbit in his life and those that are doubtful and did he do away with his doctor. Certainly is a feel good comedy movie that still bring a laugh and smile. Is Elwood seeing a rabbit or has he just been hitting the drink too, or just a happy go lucky guy enjoying life and bringing happiness to those around him in a different way??

Attachment 250175

nicholasrope 26th February 2024 09:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Slaughter In San Francisco

70's Martial Art Film which sees a former Policeman get revenge on the Criminal Organization who killed his former partner. The leader of which is played by Chuck Norris (Who is quite psychopathic)

Norris is pretty good and doesn't portray bad guys as much as he should have really. The English Dubbing is jarring especially for Norris (If you know his voice) He's not in it as much as cover suggests and its worth a pick up when it's in a Sale.

Wicked Little Letters

Apparently based on the True Story of a woman (Olivia Colman) being sent rude sexually explicit letters through the Post and the witch hunt against her feisty foul mouthed Irish Immigrant (Jessie Buckley) who is accused of the Crime even though there isn't much actual evidence.

It's rather different with great performances from Colman who portrays the victim card and starts to relish it, Buckley who doesn't take any nonsense and Timothy Spall who is the overbearing Father who likes to control people and doesn't like people defying him. This is a really enjoyable Film with some really funny moments. Think of it as a Ealing type Comedy.

Thanksgiving

Probably the start of a new franchise which sees a Killer on Thanksgiving get revenge the people who caused a Riot during a Sale. It's enjoyable with some really nice gory kills, be interesting to see how the gore factor will be topped in any Sequels but there are bits than can be forwarded on though.

MrBarlow 26th February 2024 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rope. 1948.

John Dall and Farley Granger have committed the perfect crime, strangling their roommate, placing the body in a trunk and hold a party till guest James Stewart believes something is wrong.

Hitchcock's first color film was also shot in 10 minute takes a thought to provide a seamless flow of narrative. This was adapted from a play works very well, it's not distracting at all and the film does move very smoothly. Hitchcock purposedly had the color toned down he didn't think bright Technicolor was appropriate for the subject matter.

The actors are able to alleviate this somewhat, as when James Stewart explains his theory of permissable homicide to Constance Collier. John Dall's sneaky, vicious persona aids in the film, his venomous little strokes usually followed by his philosophical explanations as to why they are acceptable for society's supermen and Farley Granger's fretful and nervous behavior is a perfect balance to it. The three leads manage to carry the film very nicely. This was more entertaining than I thought It would be.

Attachment 250179

MrBarlow 27th February 2024 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First Blood. 1982.

Classic early 80s film with Sly playing John J. Rambo, a Vietnam vet passing through a small town and victimised by the local authority Sheriff Brian Dennehy and his corrupt deputies that leads to a full scale search of the backwoods when Rambo escapes.

There came a time when soldiers returned home and really not celebrated for the Vietnam war and protested on how the Americans lost. Rambo has seen the horror and still lives with it and forced to go "Gorilla War Fare" on the pursuers. Richard Crenna plays Colonel Trautman who trained Rambo on survival and tells the great Sheriff to back off and let him cool down....yeah reallly great advice to ignore especiially when there is little body bags around. With less guns and explosions till the finale shootout, director Ted Kotcheff competently builds the tension and suspense and you get the feeling Rambo may not make it till the end. The locations are wonderfully atmospheric foggy, earth capturing the true outdoors of a good battle ground and home made bear traps.

Attachment 250187

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th February 2024 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Insanitarium (2008)

A young man (Desperate Housewives' Jessie Metcalfe) has himself locked up in an asylum in order to break his sister out.
Upon arrival he discovers the asylums director (Peter Stormare) experimenting with new drugs on the inmates which have the side effect of turning them into cannibalistic crazies.

The film plays out in two parts. The first being Metcalfe's plan to free his sister which isn't anything you haven't seen before in every other film set in an asylum, whilst the second half is a great big gore fest of a bloodbath.

What pleased me as much as anything about the film was the fact that the mayhem was played out in well lit rooms and corridors, rather than the gloomy near dark interiors of more inferior movies. This way you always see the blood spurt, the bones break, the skulls cave in and the eye balls pierced. Oh and the effects are all practical and created with prosthetics including the cat that gets it's head ripped off.

A direct to dvd gem.

Justin101 27th February 2024 04:25 PM

Mr Barlow watching these critically acclaimed stone cold classics and being surprised that they’re good lol :lol:

MrBarlow 27th February 2024 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 696486)
Mr Barlow watching these critically acclaimed stone cold classics and being surprised that they’re good lol :lol:

I'm not ill if you are wondering :lol: think I have missed out on watching classic movies

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th February 2024 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 696486)

Yes, i find that quite bizarre as well. :lol:

Justin101 27th February 2024 05:26 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it :lol: It's just funny haha.

MrBarlow 27th February 2024 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 696488)
Yes, i find that quite bizarre as well. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 696489)
Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it :lol: It's just funny haha.

No doubt I will find something that would end up being crap :lol: place your bets now :pound:

MrBarlow 27th February 2024 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Amadeus. 1984.

F. Murray Abraham plays Antonio Salleri, who after trying to commit suicide believes that he infact killed Wolfganag Amadeus Mozart and tells the story of his hatred.

You don't have to be a fan of classical music to enjoy this biography movie, the only thing to appreciate with this is director Milos Foreman's work with two great leads and a decent script to work with. This film has it all excellent acting, excellent cinematography, excellent costume design, excellent music production, excellent set design, perfect combination of comedy and tragedy, and tons and tons of classic, memorable lines, especially those delivered by Salier especially during the confessional. I have tried to watch this all the way through and finally done it and appreciate it more now than I have done.

Attachment 250190

MrBarlow 1st March 2024 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Passion Of Joan Of Arc. 1928.

In 1491 Jeanne D'Arc is on trial for heresy while the judges try and force her claims that she has seen holy visions.

What could have been a lost film before it was released, the entire film reel had been destroyed and the director used film footage he had rejected and we have this film. Another silent movie era and one to certainly enjoy, the cinematography is amazing with scene after scene perfectly shot, Maria Falconetti who plays Joan has the perfect face expressions as the film goes on with the pain of the character and as the film goes on you can see the sadness overwhelm her.

A great piece of cinematic history with Carl Theodor Dreyerat the helm and able to do something with a decent script that does hold your attention right from the start to the end with a great set piece of music in the background.

Attachment 250193

MrBarlow 1st March 2024 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Sting. 1973.

Two grifters try and pull off the ultimate con and stay ahead of those they have wronged and the police.

Robert Redford and Robert Earl Jones are the small Chicago street hustlers who know how to play the con game with run into some problems with Robert Shaw. While dodging the law Redford turns to a big con man Paul Newman who is also dodging the law for a big time win and score.

Films set in the Chicago 30s you would think of a film-noir, this one speaks for itself, the acting is heavily styled with everyone creating their own method on how to make the character work. The set pieces are amazing as is the costumes that make it look authentic and some little bit of comedy thrown in. Despite the small comedy there is a serious undertone of police corruption, murder and revenge that somehow been spliced together makes the film more watchable and how the plan of the ultimate score will pan out. Another classic film that I have never seen will be re-watched again.

Attachment 250194

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st March 2024 11:43 AM

Two great films there, MrB. The Passion of Joan of Arc is one of the masterpieces from the silent and stands up today as an incredibly powerful piece of filmmaking, one highlighted by Maria Falconetti, whose face is the canvas on which Carl Theodor Dreyer uses to showcase his directorial skills.

The Sting is a completely different film, a wonderful caper with great performances from Paul Newman, Robert Redford, and Robert Shaw. I don't think it's as accomplished as The Exorcist, the film that should have won the Best Picture Oscar that year, but it's a superbly scripted comedy/drama/thriller which uses Scott Joplin's ragtime music, particular The Entertainer, Solace, and The Easy Winners to great effect.

MrBarlow 1st March 2024 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let Sleeping Coprses Lie. 1974.

Ray Lovelock and Christina Galbo are the young hippies in England travelling to London and discover the dead are coming back to life and try and convince the local authority who seem to not listen...typical though our police never do. A mix of italian, Spanish movie that is set in England, with the setting being mostly the country, cemetery and a hospital.

It does take a bit for the movie to go but even before all that the film is shrouded in a good dark atmosphere even with a pub that has a Owl perched in it's hallway. The main leads do have chemistry on screen and helps make the film work. The zombies aren't in a great big number and are revived by some sort of radiation and how to destroy them can be a bit creative without using guns. The make-up effects for this is kinda creative and probably influenced other directors when the Zombie genre was slowly building thanks to Romero and Fulci who gave us other zombie flicks to enjoy. May not be the best zombie flick made but certainly entertains a lot on the killing of a nurse.

Attachment 250198

MrBarlow 1st March 2024 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 696500)
Two great films there, MrB. The Passion of Joan of Arc is one of the masterpieces from the silent and stands up today as an incredibly powerful piece of filmmaking, one highlighted by Maria Falconetti, whose face is the canvas on which Carl Theodor Dreyer uses to showcase his directorial skills.

The Sting is a completely different film, a wonderful caper with great performances from Paul Newman, Robert Redford, and Robert Shaw. I don't think it's as accomplished as The Exorcist, the film that should have won the Best Picture Oscar that year, but it's a superbly scripted comedy/drama/thriller which uses Scott Joplin's ragtime music, particular The Entertainer, Solace, and The Easy Winners to great effect.

Silent films are something I do enjoy they are films that speak for themselves with entertainment and at the time production values, Nosferatu and L'Inferno still creep me out, Passion Of Joan Or Arc this just jumps right in to the film and that's what made it more appealing to watch.

The Sting I saw parts of it when I was young as my dad enjoyed it and I asked him about it and all he said was "just take a look at it" Redford, Newman and Shaw were a great combination of actors that made the film more enjoyable and I agree it should have won a award

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st March 2024 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 696498)
The Passion Of Joan Of Arc. 1928.

In 1491 Jeanne D'Arc is on trial for heresy while the judges try and force her claims that she has seen holy visions.

What could have been a lost film before it was released, the entire film reel had been destroyed and the director used film footage he had rejected and we have this film. Another silent movie era and one to certainly enjoy, the cinematography is amazing with scene after scene perfectly shot, Maria Falconetti who plays Joan has the perfect face expressions as the film goes on with the pain of the character and as the film goes on you can see the sadness overwhelm her.

A great piece of cinematic history with Carl Theodor Dreyerat the helm and able to do something with a decent script that does hold your attention right from the start to the end with a great set piece of music in the background.

Attachment 250193

When the first post you read is MrBarlow reviewing The Passion of Joan of Arc you realise there's something still wrong with the forum.

MrBarlow 1st March 2024 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 696511)
When the first post you read is MrBarlow reviewing The Passion of Joan of Arc you realise there's something still wrong with the forum.

Nothing is wrong with the forum, I didn't miss out any horror movies give it time and I will post up a horror. :pound:

MrBarlow 1st March 2024 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kiss Of The Tarantula. 1975.

Suzanna ling is the little disturbed girl living with her dad Herman Waller and mother Beverly Eddins, the father is a bit strict, the mother is having a affair and their daughter has a obsession with Tarantulas that she uses to get her revenge. Someone who has pets and uses them for revenge...this had me thinking of Willard, social outcast, quiet person who wouldn't hurt a fly etc, certainly not a film for arachnophobes or if you want to conquer your fears watch this. The acting is not the best but not the worst. Very low budget that you can almost squirm when the tarantula is crawling over the mother while she is in bed. This did help pass some time by for a bit.

Attachment 250203

Justin101 1st March 2024 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 696493)
Amadeus. 1984.

F. Murray Abraham plays Antonio Salleri, who after trying to commit suicide believes that he infact killed Wolfganag Amadeus Mozart and tells the story of his hatred.

You don't have to be a fan of classical music to enjoy this biography movie, the only thing to appreciate with this is director Milos Foreman's work with two great leads and a decent script to work with. This film has it all excellent acting, excellent cinematography, excellent costume design, excellent music production, excellent set design, perfect combination of comedy and tragedy, and tons and tons of classic, memorable lines, especially those delivered by Salier especially during the confessional. I have tried to watch this all the way through and finally done it and appreciate it more now than I have done.

Attachment 250190

I re-watched Amadeus recently, 3hrs absolutely flew by, I love this film. I first saw it at school during music class, over three weeks of lessons.

Mozart's Requiem is an amazing piece of classical music and I recommend it to everyone who wants to try something a bit different to listen to.

MrBarlow 1st March 2024 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Naked Lunch. 1991.

A 1950s bug exterminator begins t drug abuse on his own cheicals and begins to see bugs, accidentally shoots his wife and uncovers a mysterious plot.

Think this is when David Cronenberg decided to step back from pure horror and change his tone of films to drama/thriller and still manages to entertain his audience. Peter Weller plays the exterminator who hallucinates and sees his typewriter turning into a bug and is informed of a plot that is orchestrated by other bugs. Cronenberg managed to add in his usual element of sick and disturbing moments but also adds in a small confusing moment that doesn't really derail the film and also manages to create a seven foot tall monster that the writer of the book probably seen in a bad dream. I have never read the book but be interesting to see how the book and movie are different from each other.

Attachment 250206

MrBarlow 1st March 2024 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
King Kong. 1933.

A film that never gets dull or boring just more entertaining with the more you watch it. Robert Armstrong plays the film director known for shooting in exotic locations with no leading lady for his next project finds Faye Wray and hires her for his film. As they set for Indonesia they stumble upon a tribe that worship Kong, one big ass gorilla, who takes a shine to the new leading lady and then transport Kong back to the states. A movie that was ahead of it's time with the special effects of Kong climbing the building, amazing set locations and pieces spiced together along with a great set of actors on board. A great classic monster movie.

Attachment 250212

MrBarlow 1st March 2024 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
She Freak. 1967.

Oh boy...we should have placed some bets that I would have found a film that would be on the WTF did I watch pile.

Claire Brennan plays a diner waitress, hit on by mostly every male customer and her boss...no surprise she was a bit of a MILF back then, meets a man who runs a carnival and freak show. She joins the carnival and seems repulsed by the oddities and freaks.

After watching this I watched the 1930s film Freaks and this is a close remake of the film. The film is is slower than a snail, the acting is not the best, the dialogue is laughable and wooden, the lead actress spent a few hours in the make-up chair only to be seen on screen for about a minute. 1 hour 23 minutes....i want that time back...

Attachment 250213

Dave Boy 1st March 2024 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 250214
DUNE PART 2

Not long been back from the cinema. That movie was bloody awesome!
After the first film I said I couldn't wait for the next movie and now here it is.
This is an event movie. Huge in scope. Everything was top notch and the sound in my cinema was blasting!
As with the first movie there is a lot to take in but it's it a great ride.
Now can't wait for the next movie in about four years!

Justin101 1st March 2024 04:01 PM

I?m so excited for Dune part 2 but I?m going to wait a couple more weeks when I have a weekday off work and I can go in the day time. Not going over the weekend it?ll be too busy for my liking.

Dave Boy 1st March 2024 04:09 PM

Yeah, I went first showing this morning. Only a handful of people in there which was great.