Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

J Harker 10th January 2013 11:38 PM

Really liked that film. Still only got the uk anchor bay disc though. Rubbish picture.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Linbro 11th January 2013 12:07 AM

JHarker, it's well worth the upgrade if you're a fan of the film.

Frankie Teardrop 11th January 2013 01:33 AM

CANDYMAN - When I was a young kid getting into horror I would dismiss anything like this as anaemic drivel, so fixated was I on the 'Forbidden' glow of banned video nasties. I thought films needed to be pulled from deep underground on semi-watchable tape to be valid. Seeing this now through the eyes of a fourteen year old would be pointless if not impossible, and my mid-thirties self is happy to report that 'Candyman' is a well executed and thoughtful exercise in urban horror. In fact, I really enjoyed viewing 'Candyman' this evening. Adaptions are always awkward and tricky - there's enough inherent friction between film and literature to make me disregard the idea of translation as an end in itself. I must say this, because Clive Barker's original short story exudes a menace which isn't captured here - I love the essential dankness of Brit horror lit from this period, if only as exemplified by the likes of Barker and Campbell - and it would've been great to have seen a twisted avant gardist Ken Loach do a Liverpool council estate based horror back in the eighties, but really, as a film and an imagined realm unto itself, 'Candyman' delivers. That nineties feel is there - slick and linear, but not without style. Performances, direction are all great, and the Phillip Glass score amplifies the mood markedly. I liked it.

keirarts 11th January 2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 311281)
CANDYMAN - When I was a young kid getting into horror I would dismiss anything like this as anaemic drivel, so fixated was I on the 'Forbidden' glow of banned video nasties. I thought films needed to be pulled from deep underground on semi-watchable tape to be valid. Seeing this now through the eyes of a fourteen year old would be pointless if not impossible, and my mid-thirties self is happy to report that 'Candyman' is a well executed and thoughtful exercise in urban horror. In fact, I really enjoyed viewing 'Candyman' this evening. Adaptions are always awkward and tricky - there's enough inherent friction between film and literature to make me disregard the idea of translation as an end in itself. I must say this, because Clive Barker's original short story exudes a menace which isn't captured here - I love the essential dankness of Brit horror lit from this period, if only as exemplified by the likes of Barker and Campbell - and it would've been great to have seen a twisted avant gardist Ken Loach do a Liverpool council estate based horror back in the eighties, but really, as a film and an imagined realm unto itself, 'Candyman' delivers. That nineties feel is there - slick and linear, but not without style. Performances, direction are all great, and the Phillip Glass score amplifies the mood markedly. I liked it.

I always thought (the first) candyman was a lot better than many of the slashers that preceeded it. I also remember getting the vhs widescreen tape off a car boot right after my dad had got surround sound installed and the sound mix was excellent. Tony todds voice comes from all around the room and genuineley adds an extra dimension to the film. Bernard rose is a great director (when he wants to be) and I didn't mind the change in locale, a tenement is a tenement wether its in chicago or liverpool, the only difference is the american one feels more like its based on ethnic lines where in britain its more about class.

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th January 2013 10:09 AM

I also like both the Candyman sequels.

ArgentoFan1987 11th January 2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 311313)
I also like both the Candyman sequels.

I've never seen the sequels. I've heard bad things about them. I've only seen the first one and read The Forbidden.

sawyer6 11th January 2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 311315)
I've never seen the sequels. I've heard bad things about them. I've only seen the first one and read The Forbidden.

Welcome back mate :)

ArgentoFan1987 11th January 2013 10:31 AM

Thanks, it's good to be back! :)

Susan Foreman 11th January 2013 01:09 PM

'Once Upon a Time In The Midlands'

Very good, often laugh out loud parody of spaghetti westerns - the tag line is 'A Tinned Spaghetti Western' - set in...um...the Midlands ('ya bugger')!

The music is a spot-on homage to Morricone

[SPOILER]However..it is let down by the ending. I was expecting a full on fight between the good guy and the villain, but it seems that only one punch is needed to make the psycho see the error of his ways[/SPOILER]

Very recommended nevertherless

antmumford 11th January 2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 310818)
I absolutely love the original film it never needed a remake you cant improve on greatness :lol:

The new Total Recall is not a remake of the previous film which many seem to think. It is a new adaptation of the book and from what I I've read, a closer adaptation. Nevertheless, doesn't make it a good film though, although not seen it myself to be fair. Will check it out soon enough