Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bdc 26th August 2011 06:40 PM

MGM released lots of great stuff,a lot of it can be found cheap nowadays.
It's nice to see they started releasing goodies again in their Limited Collection Mod line.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th August 2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 177036)
So have I, plus Perfect Strangers.

I also noticed and ordered a 3 film MGM set of Lifeforce, Leviathan and Burnt Offerings.

At around a fiver it worked out cheaper than Leviathan on its own, never mind the other two.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th August 2011 07:16 PM

I've been after Leviathan for a while and would order that box set, but I already own the other two.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th August 2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 177059)
I've been after Leviathan for a while and would order that box set, but I already own the other two.

Is Burnt Offerings any good? I know nothing about it.

Seen Lifeforce that many times on vhs i never got round to picking it up on disc.

Make Them Die Slowly 26th August 2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 177075)

Seen Lifeforce that many times on vhs i never got round to picking it up on disc.

"Burnt Offerings" made me shit myself with fear when I saw it as a nipper, (though not in a Stefanmetal kind of way). Saw it again a few years ago and apart from Karen Black looking even more mad than normal, it did nothing for me apart from the scene when Olly Reed grabs Betty Davis' arse!

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th August 2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 177077)
"Burnt Offerings" made me shit myself with fear when I saw it as a nipper, (though not in a Stefanmetal kind of way). Saw it again a few years ago and apart from Karen Black looking even more mad than normal, it did nothing for me apart from the scene when Olly Reed grabs Betty Davis' arse!

Probably not even scripted that scene.

Make Them Die Slowly 26th August 2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 177089)
[/COLOR]

Probably not even scripted that scene.

It doesn't appear so, from the looks on their faces.

keirarts 26th August 2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 177036)
So have I, plus Perfect Strangers.

larry coen is always a great investment.

nekromantik 27th August 2011 12:20 AM

Just been to Frightfest with Kyle :)

my first time there and it was fun!

saw Kidnapped, midnight son, urban explorers and horrible way to die.

best of the night was kidnapped then urban explorers then midnight son and then horrible.

horrible was quite slow and meh to be honest but the rest were all worth it.

enterthehero 27th August 2011 02:04 AM

just watched "knuckle"

"An epic 12-year journey into the brutal and secretive world of Irish Traveler bare-knuckle fighting. This film follows a history of violent feuding between rival clans."

very good!

keirarts 27th August 2011 06:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All this mgm talk!

Watched rivers edge.

Attachment 19996

Bloody good film, Director tim hunter made some of the best twin peaks episodes. Still less than 3 quid these days as well.

Make Them Die Slowly 27th August 2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 177139)
All this mgm talk!

Watched rivers edge.

Attachment 19996

Bloody good film, Director tim hunter made some of the best twin peaks episodes. Still less than 3 quid these days as well.

Great film, did he make a film with Matt Dillon before this, again about alienated kids?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th August 2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 177075)

To be honest, it's been so long since I have seen it, I can't remember much about the film and really need to dig it out and give it another watch. However, I've said that about numerous discs and haven't done so yet because of the number of review discs and other unwatched DVD/BDs I have!

I also forgot to 'report back' after watching Super. The obvious comparisons with Kick Ass are there, but this is far more adult oriented with serious violence -- beating people up with a wrench and sending them to ICU for cutting the line in the cinema queue. Rainn Wilson is very good in that same slightly overweight loser role he played in The Rocker and Ellen Page seemed to be on a permanent sugar high as his unwanted sidekick.

The rape scene was a little odd, but it's interesting to see it that way around. Though I prefer Kick Ass, I'll definitely pick up a BD if this when the price is right -- £7 at Asda will do me fine.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th August 2011 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Watched an excellent British thriller last night - Exam.
Eight hopefull candidates enter a room to take a recruitment exam. They have eighty minutes to answer the question. The problem is the paper they have before them is blank. Anyone who leaves the room or defaces the paper is disqualified.

The 96 minute running time zips past in this superior character study, as each candidate shows their strengths and weaknesses in the demanding conditions.

Highly reccomended.

pedromonkey 27th August 2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 177162)
Watched an excellent British thriller last night - Exam.
Eight hopefull candidates enter a room to take a recruitment exam. They have eighty minutes to answer the question. The problem is the paper they have before them is blank. Anyone who leaves the room or defaces the paper is disqualified.

The 96 minute running time zips past in this superior character study, as each candidate shows their strengths and weaknesses in the demanding conditions.

Highly reccomended.

i was very impressed by Exam, i've recommended it to so many people.

gag 27th August 2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 177167)
i was very impressed by Exam, i've recommended it to so many people.

I also enjoyed this and a neat little twist to the Q?

nekromantik 27th August 2011 03:11 PM

i enjoyed exam too
nicely executed thriller and Luke Mably is pretty good in it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th August 2011 03:27 PM

I also thought Exam was extremely well crafted, lit and written, unfolding superbly until the very end. I reviewed it some time ago and should really upload it to my website.

PaulD 27th August 2011 05:26 PM

Over the last few days I've watched:

Psycho - the original Hitchcock version (natch, is there any other? :)) Another one for the "first time on bluray" viewing list and an absolute treat in HD. Lovely picture quality, still as fantastic a film as ever. Made a little bit more fun by the revelation that my girlfriend had never actually seen it and had confused it with the sequel which she'd seen some years ago. Even so, the twist at the end still surprised her (no idea how she'd never been aware of it!)

The Funhouse - watched this last night with chinese food and beer. Perfect triple combo. Really enjoyable film which I had never seen before. Arrow's BD looked fantastic and even though there was a lot of build-up in the film it was always interesting. There was something oddly familiar about the monster which bothered me as I couldn't figure out who he reminded me of until the end of the film at which point I exclaimed "Oh, John Carpenter!"

Currently have the house to myself so am taking advantage and putting on Shameless' BD of The New York Ripper in a minute as that's something my better half would not be able to sit through.

sawyer6 27th August 2011 10:31 PM

Just had a triple bill.First The Man Who shot Liberty Valance ,a really good western from the great John Ford then I watched Super which I liked and thought it was a bit odd and finally I introduced to a friend of mine Fulci's epic The Beyond

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th August 2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 177260)
Just had a triple bill.First The Man Who shot Liberty Valance ,a really good western from the great John Ford then I watched Super which I liked and thought it was a bit odd and finally I introduced to a friend of mine Fulci's epic The Beyond

An excellent triple bill there Sawyer. :nod:

sawyer6 27th August 2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 177261)
An excellent triple bill there Sawyer. :nod:

nekromantik 28th August 2011 12:17 AM

just seen the gate (87)
was a cool "kids" horror flick.
reminded me a bit of Joe Dante's the hole even though they are quite different.

blu 28th August 2011 04:25 AM

I saw the Don't Be Afraid of the Dark remake yesterday. I enjoyed it even though it was quite predictable. I've never seen the original film. Going to have to track it down.

nekromantik 28th August 2011 05:58 PM

Just been to see Final Destination 5!
I loved it!
Its the best sequel in the series hands down!
They mix it up a little too with the story and add a new element plus its got a surprise lil twist if you can even call it that at the end.
Steven Quale is a director to look out for.
The effects were brilliant too and the golden gate bridge scene is as good as the part 2s car pile up.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th August 2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 177194)
I also thought Exam was extremely well crafted, lit and written, unfolding superbly until the very end. I reviewed it some time ago and should really upload it to my website.

I just a quick look and noticed it was there after all!

Exam Blu-ray

I've just watched the remake of And Soon the Darkness which is as good, if not better, than the original due to the extra character and the increasingly tense direction. I've just read through my review and realised my 'score' was a little harsh

And Soon the Darkness Blu-ray

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th August 2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 177376)
I just a quick look and noticed it was there after all!

Exam Blu-ray

I've just watched the remake of And Soon the Darkness which is as good, if not better, than the original due to the extra character and the increasingly tense direction. I've just read through my review and realised my 'score' was a little harsh

And Soon the Darkness Blu-ray

Better? really?

Think i will have to pick up the remake then. The original film is imo one of THE great seventies films. :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th August 2011 07:38 PM

I really like the original, but this remake/reimagining feels more suspenseful. I don't know why, but it could be to do with the additional character, played very well by Karl Urban.

It's definitely worth a watch and I think I bought it for £5, which is a good price for a blind buy.

bdc 28th August 2011 08:02 PM

Watched these today. :popcorn:

Biohunter (1995)
Yoshiaki Kawajiri adapted/wrote this but it isn't as good as most of the movies he directed himself.
It's also very short (58 minutes) and feels like a first part of a cancelled series.
Ok-ish if you're in a particular forgiving mood I guess. ;)

The Bunker (2001)
Well it's better than Outpost (2008)... :rolleyes:
Relative low budget and a rather unimaginative story make for a "meh" film.
Also more of a psychological war thriller than a true war/horror crossover.
The makers did make the best of their budget though.

Zombie Strippers! (2008)
Low budget trashy fun that surprised me with it's political message. ;)
Reminded me at times of A Bucket Of Blood,Eating Raoul and Frankenhooker!
Good strong gore (although they could have lost the cgi effects imho) and plenty of T&A as well...
The main reason I enjoyed this would be the black comedy though.

Btw is it wrong to enjoy watching the girls do their thing in their final zombie stage? :loco:
The makers must have enjoyed Melinda Clarke's zombie in Return of the Living Dead 3...

Sam 29th August 2011 07:26 AM

Watched a couple of good 'uns over the weekend:-

The Antichrist - everything I've read about this labelled it a straight 'Exorcist' clone but in my opinion, it's got a lot more to offer than that. This looks great, has a decent Morricone score (although far from his best) and some memorable scenes - well recommended!

Slaughter High - everything I expected it to be - campy, gory and fun, although the disused school setting also added an element of atmosphere and menace. I can't get enough of these 80's slashers so I absolutely loved it - great job by Arrow on the presentation and extras too.

Demoncrat 29th August 2011 09:30 AM

Watched Fright Night....less humor than the original (which i never liked anyway)...best thing ive seen Farrell in (and thats nae saying much)....ok for undemanding horror fans ;);)

Cannibal Apocalypse....continuing my Morghen crush, this is a very disjointed film (duh, look who the director is....) Saxon looks uncomfortable (and after reading the recent Darkside interview, WAS uncomfortable...tough shit the script was called Cannibal Apocalypse...what did he expect? Proust? i ask you....) not enough guts (pun intended)...twas the UK approved print, which i know is missing a burning rat or two...anything else?)

Dont Answer The Phone...still sleazy after all these years...a lovely print offset by the countless acts of depravity in it....not a date film! oh, and those idiot cops!! michty!! remake this hollywood!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th August 2011 10:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I'd been holding off watching Insanitarium for months, not sure why, i picked it up cheap then decided i wasn't that interested in it when it arrived.

I finally decided to watch it last night and was surprised when it turned out to be a well acted, fun, tension filled, gory thrill ride.

A young man (Desperate Housewives' Jessie Metcalfe) has himself locked up in an asylum in order to break his sister out.
Upon arrival he discovers the asylums director (Peter Stormare, Fargo) experimenting with new drugs on the inmates which have the side effect of turning them into cannibalistic mutations.

The film plays out in two parts. The first being Metcalfe's plan to free his sister, the second half is a great big fun zombie bloodbath.

What pleased me as much as anything about the film was the fact that the mayhem was played out in well lit rooms and corridors, rather than the gloomy near dark interiors of more inferior movies.

Make Them Die Slowly 29th August 2011 01:51 PM

Caught "Primal" on the telly last night. Nothing special however it did contain the phrase; "Nudie up, and wet your winky.":)

James Morton 29th August 2011 01:57 PM

What films have you seen recently?

saw TERROR NATION and A DAY OF VIOLENCE

Prince_Vajda 29th August 2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 177462)
saw TERROR NATION and A DAY OF VIOLENCE

Very informative post indeed. :eyebrows:

Greetings!

pedromonkey 29th August 2011 02:20 PM

watched Armageddon Of The Dead this morning, very ambitious for an indie Zombie flick some nice camera work but the film is let down by a predictable story and some really bad acting. worth a watch if you can find it cheap, very very cheap.

http://c0002716.cdn2.cloudfiles.rack...cf5bd8f21a.jpg

also watched Scarecrows last night, entertaining, well made but ultimately lacking something. Kind of Predator meets Jeepers Creepers. Well worth the £5.00 i paid for it...

http://www.comingsoon.net/nextraimag...ecrows-dvd.jpg

bdc 29th August 2011 02:37 PM

Scarecrows (1988) is a very strange film. ;)
Like it though.

James Morton 29th August 2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 177466)
Very informative post indeed. :eyebrows:

Greetings!

I told you what films I saw
the thread doses say what films have you seen recently?

Prince_Vajda 29th August 2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 177472)
I told you what films I saw
the thread doses say what films have you seen recently?

You're right. I just wanted to suggest that you could tell us whether you liked the flicks or not. :)

Greetings!

James Morton 29th August 2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 177476)
You're right. I just wanted to suggest that you could tell us whether you liked the flicks or not. :)

Greetings!

Yes and would of said so otherwise
and there have been other messages with just the films the person saw, nothing else
this applies to other sites as well of course
Do you ask the same questions to those as well?