Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 12th February 2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 392043)
Your Next.

Sat discussing THE PURGE with a friend. I still argue in ten to twenty years time it'll be one of those flawed cult classics everyone seems to like. A modern cult B movie. Except it did rather well at the box office in spite of the harsh criticism it recieved so likely it'll be one of those screw the critics kind of movies.

Your next however came and went without much attention. It's a better film than the Purge. Adam Wingard who made the excellent A HORRIBLE WAY TO DIE, has really done a great job with this film.

Its nice to see a heroine who actually does the right thing and kicks the psychopaths asses as soon as their on the ropes. The family of victims are all assholes who mainly deserve their fate and there is a nice sting in the tale.

I still like the Purge but I find with re-watching that your next is by far the more entertaining and intelligently made home invasion flick that hit cinemas last year. Should have performed better.

I liked and disliked the purge it was a good decent film only problem was it could have offered so much, with a great story and idea but in the end felt dissapointed because it went down the root of you've seen it before , but because of the concept of the story it eally could of gone down a complete and different and interesting direction, bit still worth a watch all the same .

keirarts 12th February 2014 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 392184)
I liked and disliked the purge it was a good decent film only problem was it could have offered so much, with a great story and idea but in the end felt dissapointed because it went down the root of you've seen it before , but because of the concept of the story it eally could of gone down a complete and different and interesting direction, bit still worth a watch all the same .

No doubt, it could have been a lot better. I'm saying The Purge was good in the trashy B movie sense.

Speaking of which.....

Attachment 130667

Took a random punt on this and glad I did. Its a HK take on Nam films about a group of friends in Nam after the Americans leave.

Sam 'Flash Gordon' Jones is more a guest star, only turning up in a few scenes. The main focus is the squads of Chinese heading in country and combating the VC. Some pretty nasty torture scenes including a guy getting buried up to his head and doused in Acid. Also a scene of a rat being set on fire then left to run about over petrol coated soldiers setting them alight in a sick gambling game. I suspect the BBFC may not have actually seen this given some of the content. It's 86 minutes long so i'm sure some of our friendly HK experts can enlighten us!

It's a raw mean and trashy film that ends up being sort of fun in spite of itself and was certainly not a wasted quid in my book.

gag 13th February 2014 01:03 AM

Talk about the purge here the trailer for purge 2
WATCH: The Purge: Anarchy Teaser Trailer Has ARRIVED! | moviepilot.com

nosferatu42 13th February 2014 01:28 AM

I was just thinking that everyone seems to like the idea of The Purge, but finds the actual movie didn't use the idea to the fullest possibility.
Given sequel budgets are usually higher hopefully the makers will take the opportunity to create something more impressive.:)

keirarts 13th February 2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 392198)
Talk about the purge here the trailer for purge 2
WATCH: The Purge: Anarchy Teaser Trailer Has ARRIVED! | moviepilot.com

I Like the look of this! :rockon:

gag 13th February 2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 392209)
I Like the look of this! :rockon:

yes does look good. because of the storyline this is kinda thing i was expecting from the first one, where all hell lets loose people looting rioting killing etc that type of thing then going back to there normal lives day after, then the first film being the 2nd one ..

keirarts 13th February 2014 03:31 PM

Django kill! (if you live, shoot!)

Thomas Milian plays Django (or does he) the half bred mexican outlaw who is betrayed and massacred along with his gang. Dug out of a shallow grave he sets of with Golden bullets to get revenge.

One of the strangest entries into the Django series I've seen. In fact possibly on of the strangest spaghetti westerns full stop (and no, El Topo doesn't count as its not italian!) Django arrives at a town called the unhappy place and claims his vengeance early on in proceedings only to end up sticking around and getting mixed up with the double crossing townsfolk and the gay rancher (whose henchmen all dress in black) All the while guided by his indian friends who seem to act as his inner monologue Django bounces between the factions seeming to try and do whats right in a world gone mad with greed.

Massively stylized and Brutally violent its a film also chock full of symbolism, strange ironic humor (including one of the bad guys getting coated in gold) and disturbing dream sequences.

Blue undergrounds release looks great. I'd previously seen this on BBC2 YEARS back when Alex Cox got it on air. The print was dreadful so it felt like experiencing it for the first time with this release. It's region free as well!

keirarts 13th February 2014 07:22 PM

Samurai Zombies.

Written by the director of Versus and midnight meat train Ryuhei Kitamura and directed by the Star of Versus and Battlefield Baseball Tak sakaguchi this one is a fairly staightforward horror about a family that gets kidnapped by robbers and ends up in a village cursed with undead samurai going about beheadding folk who wander by. It's got some of the humor one would expect from people responsible for stuff like Versus and Battlefield Baseball and its pretty fun. Never going to be regarded as a classic I picked it up on 99p BOGOF at my local cash gen.

Bad Meat.

The other disc on the Bogof is a tale of kids sent to a punishment camp out in the middle of nowhere that get more than they bargained for when the councillors eat tainted meat and turn into flesh eating monsters. Not that any of them were normal to begin with, most of them leching on the kids, having a chuckle while reading up on death camps and enjoying some fairly graphic s&m. There's plenty of messed up stuff here for horror fans and for the most part it's well directed. The only real word of caution would be to be careful about watching it while eating tea as there is a whole lot of vomiting throughout the film. Really chunky.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 392304)

Bad Meat.

The other disc on the Bogof is a tale of kids sent to a punishment camp out in the middle of nowhere that get more than they bargained for when the councillors eat tainted meat and turn into flesh eating monsters. Not that any of them were normal to begin with, most of them leching on the kids, having a chuckle while reading up on death camps and enjoying some fairly graphic s&m. There's plenty of messed up stuff here for horror fans and for the most part it's well directed. The only real word of caution would be to be careful about watching it while eating tea as there is a whole lot of vomiting throughout the film. Really chunky.

Frankie recommended this last year. I bought it and loved it. A real antidote to all the ghost crap doing the rounds.

Glad you enjoyed it Keirarts.

keirarts 13th February 2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 392305)
Frankie recommended this last year. I bought it and loved it. A real antidote to all the ghost crap doing the rounds.

Glad you enjoyed it Keirarts.

I love taking chances on this stuff. It's the best way to discover new and interesting horror outside of attending festivals. This ones a real keeper for me as well! :pop2: