Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 421390)
CURSE OF THE CRIMSON ALTAR
A real curio that seems to be a hybrid of old fashioned gothic horror, with groovy late 60s psychedelia.
A number of horror greats are here, including Boris Karloff, who turns in a wonderful performance ( particularly when you realise how ill he was at the time ).
Not only that, but this is the full uncut version of the movie.
Picture quality is fantastic too.
It's not a classic, but definitely recommended.

Is this version different to the DD release?

Mojo 14th October 2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 421396)
Is this version different to the DD release?

It's years since I watched the DD release so I can't compare the two, but it does seem to have more footage than before. Other forums have confirmed it's the full version.
The running time on this new BD is 87mins.

Frankie Teardrop 14th October 2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 421319)
I picked this up around this time last year and saw it in January. it was one of those with a gorgeous slip case which tempted me to part with a fiver. :loco:
https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/387926-post26910.html

Weird how the last lines of our reviews for 'Deranged' were almost the same... besides inspiring some of my recent DVD buys, you also appear to be insinuating yourself into my writerly subconscious... I'm being kind of flattering, but it's creepy Dem. Don't start making me do weird shit.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 421413)
Weird how the last lines of our reviews for 'Deranged' were almost the same... besides inspiring some of my recent DVD buys, you also appear to be insinuating yourself into my writerly subconscious... I'm being kind of flattering, but it's creepy Dem. Don't start making me do weird shit.

:axekiller:

Vipp 14th October 2014 09:35 PM

The Witchfinder General.
I wanted to watch some titles in the 'Folk Horror' list's on the interwebs, i also like Vincent Price AND this is on youtube (it's a terrible copy but watchable).
It's not a bad movie, historically inaccurate and possible a little short IMO. This film delivers buckets of tension during it's torture scenes and for those who enjoy a good love making scene this has some well filmed romance scenes. all in all it's a good films but i was moved by the scene of a man fighting against being detained as his 'witch' of a wife was lowered into a fire, it was truly disturbing. i might pick this up on Blu-Ray in the future, it's no wicker man but i would be interested to hear from the MOD's here in regards to what Folk Horror to watch next.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th October 2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 421419)
The Witchfinder General.
I wanted to watch some titles in the 'Folk Horror' list's on the interwebs, i also like Vincent Price AND this is on youtube (it's a terrible copy but watchable).
It's not a bad movie, historically inaccurate and possible a little short IMO. This film delivers buckets of tension during it's torture scenes and for those who enjoy a good love making scene this has some well filmed romance scenes. all in all it's a good films but i was moved by the scene of a man fighting against being detained as his 'witch' of a wife was lowered into a fire, it was truly disturbing. i might pick this up on Blu-Ray in the future, it's no wicker man but i would be interested to hear from the MOD's here in regards to what Folk Horror to watch next.

I'd highly recommend The Blood on Satan's Claw if you haven't seen it, Vipp.

Make Them Die Slowly 14th October 2014 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 421419)
The Witchfinder General.

We did a bunch of reviews on the Club Labs Members Reviews thread sometime back on this subject. I personally like Blood on Satan's Claw, Night of the Demon, Psychomania and the TV series The Owl Service.

Vipp 14th October 2014 09:50 PM

MTDS i am sure i read your review of the owl tv show thing a while back! i might go back into the review thread and see if i can get a Folk Horror thread going. :)

Make Them Die Slowly 14th October 2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 421423)
We did a bunch of reviews on the Club Labs Members Reviews thread sometime back on this subject. I personally like Blood on Satan's Claw, Night of the Demon, Psychomania and the TV series The Owl Service.

Oh and if Dem recommends The Wicker Tree...ignore him!

Vipp 14th October 2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 421425)
Oh and if Dem recommends The Wicker Tree...ignore him!

HAHAHA! I take my wickerman advice from Reaps to be fair - I have been told the wicker tree is beyond terrible?