Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th October 2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 423213)
It's one of my all time favourite films. I'll be picking it up from blowitoutahere once they have it listed for a customs friendly price. ;)

You and me both!

Make Them Die Slowly 27th October 2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 423201)
The Breaking of Bumbo. (1970)

Whimsical social satire about a newly commissioned young officer in the Household brigade who discovers life outside the army when he meets Joanna Lumley - a ravishing snakeskin delight. Between them they rebel against society in the only way they know how - anarchy and protest marches.

The Breaking of Bumbo is a difficult film to recommend due to it's eccentricities and it's inability to fit into any real niches of cinema. It's not particularly funny, nor is it exactly revolutionary in it's story telling. More Spice Girls "Girl Power" than Rage Against the Machine "**** you i won't do what you tell me" . However, what it is, is a typically British film with boredom as it's subject matter at the arse end of swinging sixties London. Denied a theatrical release by EMI on the grounds of uncommerciality, The breaking of Bumbo is a bit of a lost gem which has now resurfaced on dvd.

Fans of unconventional British cinema will love it.

After reading this films title and your review, I was kinda disappointed that it wasn't the gay hobbit roughie I was looking for.

trebor8273 27th October 2014 06:51 PM

The lego movie

For me this has been my favourite movie of the year, ok they have been better movies out. but this is just so much fun with so many great characters, laugh out loud moments and a film you can watch over and over and never get bored. Just have one more thing to sat about this movie. Everything is awesome. 10/10

Tonight's viewings Halloween (remake) and psychomania

Make Them Die Slowly 27th October 2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 423224)
The lego movie

For me this has been my favourite movie of the year, ok they have been better movies out. but this is just so much fun with some many great characters, laugh out loud moments and a film you can watch over and over and never get bored. Just have one more thing to sat about this movie. Everything is awesome. 10/10

Tonight's viewings Halloween (remake) and psychomania

Hope you enjoy Psychomania, it is one of my favourites.

trebor8273 27th October 2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 423229)
Hope you enjoy Psychomania, it is one of my favourites.

Only seen it once many years ago when I was a kid. Can't remeber much apart from I had trouble sleeping that night.

Espen 27th October 2014 09:31 PM

"Gone girl" and "A Most wanted man" at the cinema and "Livid" and "Trancers" at home :)

SShaw 27th October 2014 10:49 PM

I took the opportunity to see Gone Girl while I am back in the U.K.

I found it an intriguing, if extreme, look at what we give up in order to make the comprises necessary to sustain a successful relationship. And, like my last sentence, it's a little overlong.

Espen 27th October 2014 11:04 PM

I really liked it. Great suburban noir who kept me interested all the way through. Never imagined i would say that about about a movie with Tyler Perry in it.

Susan Foreman 28th October 2014 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Espen (Post 423251)
I really liked it. Great suburban noir who kept me interested all the way through. Never imagined i would say that about about a movie with Tyler Perry in it.

!!!!!!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th October 2014 09:28 AM

Garden of the Dead is a silly, low budget Troma distributed zombie offering directed by John 'Grave of the Vampire' Hayes.

Inmates of a prison work-camp discover a barrel of experimental formaldehyde and proceed to get high off of the fumes. A group of them later attempt an escape and are chased down by the warden and his deputies, in which the prisoners' getaway truck crashes and they are all killed in the resulting firefight with the deputies. The warden then orders that the dead prisoners be buried in shallow graves in the woods.

The prisoners are not long buried when they start to reanimate and shamble back to the prison - at first you assume purely for vengeance - but later you discover that they're more interested in imbibing more of those refreshingly addictive formaldehyde fumes.

Dumb as it may be, Garden of the Dead is quite fun, and is a film in which they really went out of their way to concoct a bizarre mechanism for zombification. The resurrected dead also look pretty funky and even exhibit quasi-vampiristic qualities such as being afraid of light - allowing the effective use of the prison searchlights etc. to deter the marauding undead convict horde.

I was disappointed with the lack of a 'garden' though, at least in the conventional sense. I guess 'shallow graves near the prison grounds of the dead' didn't quite have the same ring to it.

Originally posted here: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/423268-post372.html