Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

trench 25th May 2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedorca (Post 29174)
What was the first slasher movie?

Halloween? :makelikeatree:

If so, was Carpenter inspired by giallo?

I think Halloween was inspired by Black Christmas, at the very least I think Carpenter was inspired to shoot Halloween because Black Christmas, but I'm not 100% sure. As far as I know the slasher as a genre came into being as a result of the (heavily truncated) gialli which were being imported to the American drive-ins.

vipco 26th May 2009 03:33 PM

I would say Bay of Blood. imho

BTW, just watched SadoMaster, a nasty little S American 1 hour long film with Eng subs.
Its a Horror film that , had the effects been more realistic it would be quite disturbing , as its just one long torture murder after another, with a very basic, but good storyline , though some of the film contains flashes of real footage , some of which is a bit questionable .
No Snuff 102 then in realistic terms , but still quite extreme. Thank God for 'the underground.'

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th May 2009 05:28 PM

Where did you get a hold of it Vip's?

vipco 26th May 2009 06:17 PM

One of my mates downloads films and he's into off the center horror films, occasionally he'd lend me some of the more exreme ones.

Pete 27th May 2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 29046)
Solange is shit! Easily the most boring giallo ever made.

Slashers are the best creation in celluloid history. I won't hear a bad word said about them you hear me Liverpool (loops)? ;)

Solange is excellent i would take it over any slasher.

Gold6082 27th May 2009 03:02 PM

Watched The B&W Hammer Horror "The Nanny" Earlier, Bette Davis in another Gripping Thrill ride good one this one.

vincenzo 27th May 2009 03:16 PM

She also appeared in Hammer's The Anniversary which is ok but nowhere near as good.

DeadAlive 27th May 2009 04:13 PM

There are some great put downs in "The Anniversary" and Bette Davis delivers them with obvious relish. The insults come thick and fast. "The Nanny" on the other hand is a minor gem.

Last night I watched "The Exorcist" for the first time in quite a few years. I think the film still stands up pretty well even today. One of my fondest memories, if fond is the correct word, was actually getting to see this at a cinema a few years back. It is certainly a film worth catching on the big screen.

Pete 28th May 2009 01:00 PM

Yesterday i bought;

Futureworld
Irreversible
The Killer ( john woo , from poundland!! )

And just ordered:

Cantebury Tales
Charge of the Light Brigade - BFI
Cross of Iron

gag 28th May 2009 03:35 PM

Just watched the death factory i rank it along the lines of
MSP. 100 TEARS. AU TRIOLOGY. SUICIDE CLUB. LAID TO REST.and several other films all a total pile of shit and a waste of my time watching these crap ....lets be honest about 1 thing if it wasnt for the gore violence r what ever, u realy wouldnt give these films time of day. ....all vary in y there crap no story, no plot. dull and lifeless characters. boring . bad acting just plane rubbish films in many different ways...so what there controversial thats the only reason y ppl watch half of this crap not because there any good..... also just got round to watching shoalin v evil dead another stupid film with a pathetic story....at least half the films in the controversial hey day where watchable today films just go pan out for controversy....fine if there going to make a film violent gory controversial no problem but least they could do is make it worth while watching.....eg inside now thats a good film in every sense

Angel 28th May 2009 04:05 PM

Yeah a lot of these films are pretty awful. Just made to shock really nothing more. Laid to Rest is still a film I want to see though.

Check out Martyrs if you can, Gag, as it is worth watching.

I think Guts of a Beauty is probably the worst film I have seen recently.

By the way I saw Tokyo Gore Police recently. Lot of action and a lot of extreme violence. I'm not a great fan of Japanese cinema but this was quite reasonable.

jim corrupt 28th May 2009 05:28 PM

Laid To Rest was a real let down imho.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th May 2009 06:20 PM

Just got

BARE BEHIND BARS 'X' BU
TERROR AT TENKILLER/LAST SLUMBER PARTY
THE LAST HORROR FILM TROMA
THIRST
HARLEQUIN
And I found THE SWEENEY COMPLETE 1ST SERIES in Blockbuster for eight quid......:woot:

Gold6082 28th May 2009 07:06 PM

Right Firstly A Few I have seen this week.

As previously Mentioned the Nanny I give this 9/10.

I revisted the 1951?? classic from hell it came 8/10

"White dog" nasty lil dude 7/10

Now secondly here is my to watch pile list for this weekend as always I ask "Which should jump the pile"

Nightmares (1983) Anchor bay Anthology
Amityville Dollhouse
Amityville.. It's About Time
Psychic Killer
My Bloody Valentine Uncut sp edition (1981)
Straw Dogs
Christinas House
View Of Terror
Home Sick
Frankenstein 2000
And Soon The Darkness
Schizo
Don't Talk To Strange Men

jim corrupt 28th May 2009 07:08 PM

psychic killer! cheeeeese fest :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th May 2009 07:13 PM

Even though Straw Dogs is a genre classic, I'd go for............ And Soon the Darkness... a great little suspense thriller.

Also I notice you've got Home Sick there... my blog review inspired you per chance?! :p :jest:

Gold6082 28th May 2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 29375)
Even though Straw Dogs is a genre classic, I'd go for............ And Soon the Darkness... a great little suspense thriller.

Also I notice you've got Home Sick there... my blog review inspired you per chance?! :p :jest:

Not sure what your talking about :rofl:

thanks both :D

Pete 29th May 2009 12:55 PM

Just got:

Ran 2 Disc - Warner
Drunken Master
Black Book
Dune
Sin City - tin
Porridge
Shivers

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st June 2009 07:57 PM

Watched HARLEQUIN last night with Robert Powell and David Hemmings.An original little number well worth a gander.
Also completed HELLBOUND:HELLRAISER II and yes,it IS better than the original.:)

TALL DUDE 1st June 2009 08:07 PM

A load of cheapo stuff from the car boot and cash converters..

Poltergeist 2.(havent seen this since its cinema showing back in the 80's)
Altered species(killer rats..yowza!)
Deathsport.(post apocalyptic flick starring david carradine.)
Deathstalker(low budget sword and sorcerey nonsense.)
Under siege 1 and 2( back when steven segal made half decent action flicks)
Yes man(probably jim carreys funniest film in years.)
Quarantine(american remake of the excellent rec..a bargain at only a quid from cash converters.)
Some things never die(more giant bug nonsense.)
A very british gangster(been after this one for a while now)
Visions of the beast(brilliant two disc video anthology of all of iron maidens singles.Essential stuff for all maiden fans.)
Taxi to the darkside(never heard of this one,clocked it at the car boot so took a chance.Its all about the iraq conflict and how an innocent taxi driver is arrested on terrorism charges and brutally tortured and killed.Anyone seen it?)
The living dead girl(redemptions uncut disc of this fell through the letter box this morning.Never seen this jean rollin movie,but i've heard good things about it.)

Also have dark floors,the lordi movie(remember them winning eurovision a few years back)and feast 3-the happy ending on order.:)

Sam 1st June 2009 08:14 PM

Last couple I watched were ...

'The Funhouse' - brilliant 80s slasher, which makes up for a lack of gore with tension, atmosphere and a decent plot. My second favourite Tobe Hooper film (the first being 'Crocodile' of course :jest:)

'Ups and Downs of a Handyman' - crappy British sex comedy - like a 'Confessions' film without the laughs and Barry Stokes is no Robin Askwith. Gotta love that theme tune though!!

Also bought 'Fido' and 'Rogue' recently but haven't got round to watching these yet.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st June 2009 08:22 PM

Pre-ordered some MYA titles from HKFlix the other day:

-Horrible
-Island of the Fishmen
-The Legend of Blood Castle

Plus pre-ordered Header, and Shaw Brothers' Black Magic 2 :woot:

KPWNINJA 1st June 2009 08:32 PM

Just bought some Vipco titles to add to my collection. :p

DEATH TRAP
THE NOSTRIL PICKER

and
THE BURNING

All UNCUT and not the crap Screamtime releases. Mega cheap too! ^ ^

Also bought myself DEAD SPACE: DOWNFALL. Fun little film but not on par with the atmosphere and tension of the game. Nice animated gore however! :p

Pass the popcorn!!! :popcorn:

Philleh 1st June 2009 08:43 PM

Just picked up Dark Sky's Centerfold Girls and She-Beast!

Happy times.

crowley 1st June 2009 09:25 PM

Just spent a small chunk of my redundancy money (well, y'have to don't you?)
on DVD's - as well as pre-ordering the first 3 MoG's from Arrow, I've just bought;
Jess Franco's Dracula with Chris Lee - I've never actually seen it!
The 2nd Bava box set R1 - been meaning to get this for ages.
and several Giallo's I was after from Blue Underground.

But tonight I watched ASYLUM - ye olde Amicus classic. I had forgotten what a hoot this movie is. I'm a huge fan of British Horror from the 50s-70s and can't get enough of this stuff :p

Make Them Die Slowly 2nd June 2009 12:18 AM

Just wasted part of the evening watching TERROR AT TENKILLER.
Have these to watch next:
The Last Slumber Party
The Phantom of Soho
A Candle For The Devil
Candy

mark meakin 2nd June 2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 29710)
Last couple I watched were ...

'The Funhouse' - brilliant 80s slasher, which makes up for a lack of gore with tension, atmosphere and a decent plot. My second favourite Tobe Hooper film (the first being 'Crocodile' of course :jest:).

One of my favourite Hooper films as well.I could hardly believe Crocodile was made by the same person.:(.I watched Cold Prey 2 which was a decent sequel to the original.

Philleh 2nd June 2009 10:18 AM

I watched Grindhouse classic The Killing Kind last night - GOOD film!

gag 2nd June 2009 10:21 AM

My partner and her friend got me

robocop triology boxset..
stanley kubrick boxset.. 2001 sapce oddysey.. clockwork orange full metal jacket.. shining...eyes wide shut... all 2disc plus bonus disc on stanley kubrick...

for my bday :cool: as well as other things also got a 18inch, pinhead to go with my other things, eg 24inch chucky :D..

I bought with some my bday money...

Escape from New york special edition..
Once upon a time in America 2disc...
Die hard 4.0...
Rise of the foot soldiers..
Tcm 2 the gore edition..
Hard boiled..tartan extreme..collectors edition...
all for ave £3 each.. some times i think they just put things like special edition colectors edition etc etc to make it sound better....because the odd film r so is totaly no different from a previous release of it

Pete 2nd June 2009 10:21 AM

I just bought:

Hard Boiled - original tartan release with J W interview
Toxic Avenger 3
House by the Cemetery - 23 century

Pete 2nd June 2009 10:34 AM

I watched Irreversible last night:

started off really irritating, was good in the middle but went really boring at the end.

Philleh 2nd June 2009 10:55 AM

Ha, the spinning effect at the start is a right ball-ache isn't it?

That's the biggest fllaw I pointed out when I reviewed it way back when, people aren't used to having such a ballistic opening act that fizzles out to an uneventful final third. But I think it works so well, it's the ultimate act of cinematic cruelty.

Got to hand it to Noe for having the balls to attempt something as daring. I think it's a modern classic.

Pete 2nd June 2009 11:08 AM

Yes, and im not a calm person, i hurled the remote at the telly!:o

Im sure if i watched it again i will like it a lot more. That opening in the gay S/M club was just unsetlelling.

DeadAlive 2nd June 2009 12:15 PM

I quite like the way it works towards the happy ending.....er start. (Depending on how you look at it.:p) I found it quite moving, which was unexpected but well done.

Make Them Die Slowly 2nd June 2009 03:05 PM

I found that having the happy ending/start,made the impact of the rape and the scene in the gay club much stronger.The film left me with a good feeling which was immediately underscored with feelings of numbness on recalling the two brutal scenes creating a mixed emotional response.I can't recall any other film in recent years that has done that.Most films of this type (rape/revenge) just aim to deaden the viewers senses.

Gold6082 3rd June 2009 09:12 AM

The 2007 French Horror "Inside" is available in english or original language versions. It is very gory so if that is your motive for a film then you can do worse than this non stop splatter fest.

If you prefer something with more of a story and point,Don't talk to strange men was an enjoyable B&W classic I watched last weekend from 1962. just over an hour long quite chilling for it's day.

If you want a gory & far fetched typical mid 80's film Nail gun massacre is a good choice for a laugh.

Make Them Die Slowly 3rd June 2009 01:08 PM

Watched "The Last Slumber Party" yesterday-I can't decide if it's a pile of shite or a surrealist classic!Any views on the film would be welcome.

Gold6082 3rd June 2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 29864)
Watched "The Last Slumber Party" yesterday-I can't decide if it's a pile of shite or a surrealist classic!Any views on the film would be welcome.

I literally had to attempt 5 times to get past 15 mins of it. I think every aspect of it deserves to win shittiest film award. The Camera Work,Acting,Plot and print all had more holes than a warehouse of cheese Graters.

bedorca 3rd June 2009 09:54 PM

Watched Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 again the other night

Great fun

And saw The Slayer for the first time

I was impressed with the movie ........but not with the print :rofl:

On a bit of Vipco run at the moment!!! :cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd June 2009 11:07 PM

Watched THE LAST HORROR FILM last night.Spinnell puts in a suitably sweaty performance as the raving loon-wannabe-director,but Munro is generally wasted.Interesting setting with the Cannes film festival though.Not a patch on Spinell's other screwball magnum opus MANIAC though.