Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 6th January 2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 595462)
Well of course gag didn't like it. It wasn't made in 1987.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not sure what the year has to do with it :confused: :confused::lol:

Today's film in the sense dull and boring, I've seen films where practically nothing happens but they grab me more than a full on action film where I've been bored watching it , just because not much happens doesn't means its boring, not a great deal happens in Twisted nerve but it's a great film, give me twisted nerve over player one where its full on action , years ago I felt films where made with some heart, soul , and passion and where vast majority of films aren't today , even some of the badly made films from the 70\ 80s have become cult classic , no matter for what reason eg i spit on your grave, (notoriety) ) some of today's films are very well made but they are forgotten about quickly , i also feel the acting different as well and Sam said that to me while we was watching something other day , years ago before the 70s and 80s( I say that era because that's when we was flooded with badly made and badly acted films for the vhs era , ( yes they did before then and still do now but not as much ) before acting was a career now its just a job, watching a sci fi from the 50s does seem corny but that's only because it's dated and showing its age now but they are still classics , film of the year any year say from 2000 in a few years it be half forgotten about and a lot of today's film make a huge impact but more for the here and now , they don't make a everlasting impact for years to come like Ben hur , scum , wizard of oz , Quodraphenia , psycho , Ghostbusters , Quatermass, one flew over cuckoo nest , Rocky , towering inferno , great escape , original superman films there really is loads to choose from, remember when you use to go video shop rent a film go home and enjoy the film , you waded through a lot of good and decent stuff before you come across a film you thought was rubbish or didn't like , and took ages to decide what to rent because there was so many you like the look off , now its reversed you wade through a lot of rubbish before finding stuff you do like and take ages to decide on a film on Netflix because so many films don't grab you for what ever reason .
And occasionally you enjoy a film, Is it because its decent or because it better than what's on offer from what's been churned out recently ?
Yes of course there is some good films being made now don't get me wrong .

But a lot of films are more interested in the huge budget , who's who in the film , playing up to that audience , bigger and better action scenes , loads of crash bang wallop soulless action, some are ridiculously Ott keep it plain and simple like they did in Towering inferno , or poseidon adventure

How many times have you gone cinema and left a tadge disappointed?

The industry knows how to play up to to its audience these days now, that when they announce a film being made people get really excited about it even before they announced who starring \ directing the film so on and so on , and its a huge success long before it even gets released and will make its money even if its shit and a huge disappointment

Most film collectors young old or new, vast majority tend to concentrate on films from years ago .

Look at some people list of all time fav films and most times not many films from 2000 onwards, and some cases there is none .

I'm not saying I'm right that's just my opinion.

Gives a bit of insight to why I struggle with a lot of today's films . and complain so much about them :lol::tongue1:

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th January 2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 595466)
Not sure what the year has to do with it :confused: :confused:

Today's film in the sense dull and boring, I've seen films where practically nothing happens but they grab me more than a full on action film where I've been bored watching it , just because not much happens doesn't means its boring, not a great deal happens in Twisted nerve but it's a great film, give me twisted nerve over player one where its full on action , years ago I felt films where made with some heart, soul , and passion and where vast majority of films aren't today , even some of the badly made films from the 70\ 80s have become cult classic , no matter for what reason eg i spit on your grave, (notoriety) ) some of today's films are very well made but they are forgotten about quickly , i also feel the acting different as well and Sam said that to me while we was watching something other day , years ago before the 70s and 80s( I say that era because that's when we was flooded with badly made and badly acted films for the vhs era , ( yes they did before then and still do now but not as much ) before acting was a career now its just a job, watching a sci fi from the 50s does seem corny but that's only because it's dated and showing its age now but they are still classics , film of the year any year say from 2000 in a few years it be half forgotten about and a lot of today's film make a huge impact but more for the here and now , they don't make a everlasting impact for years to come like Ben hur , scum , wizard of oz , Quodraphenia , psycho , Ghostbusters , Quatermass, one flew over cuckoo nest , Rocky , towering inferno , great escape , original superman films there really is loads to choose from, remember when you use to go video shop rent a film go home and enjoy the film , you waded through a lot of good and decent stuff before you come across a film you thought was rubbish or didn't like , and took ages to decide what to rent because there was so many you like the look off , now its reversed you wade through a lot of rubbish before finding stuff you do like and take ages to decide on a film on Netflix because so many films don't grab you for what ever reason .
And occasionally you enjoy a film, Is it because its decent or because it better than what's on offer from what's been churned out recently ?
Yes of course there is some good films being made now don't get me wrong .

But a lot of films are more interested in the huge budget , who's who in the film , playing up to that audience , bigger and better action scenes , loads of crash bang wallop soulless action, some are ridiculously Ott keep it plain and simple like they did in Towering inferno , or poseidon adventure

How many times have you gone cinema and left a tadge disappointed?

The industry knows how to play up to to its audience these days now, that when they announce a film being made people get really excited about it even before they announced who starring \ directing the film so on and so on .

Most film collectors young old or new, vast majority tend to concentrate on films from years ago .

Look at some people list of all time fav films and most times not many films from 2000 onwards, and some cases there is none .

I'm not saying I'm right that's just my opinion.

Gives a bit of insight to why I struggle with a lot of today's films . and complain so much about them :lol::tongue1:

I notice you mention Rocky there, gag.

In my opinion Creed is as good if not better than any of the Rocky sequels. I've also heard Creed II is very good as well.

As for modern films being all flashy action and no substance i do agree to a certain extent, however MI: Fallout which i've just seen recently is quite possibly the best action film from the 21st century. (Please don't go into one of your Tom Cruise rants - we've heard it before :tongue1: :lol:)

I also noticed mention of The Towering Inferno, like you i too regard that as a stone cold classic. In comparison to the Mission Impossible film the recent Skyscraper was tragic. Sure it was enjoyable very throw away nonsense, but it took the best ideas from The Towering Inferno and Die Hard and really failed to deliver at all in comparison.

As for Netflix in comparison to video shops? I think Netflix is far too disposable. If you paid your two pounds for a video you'd feel compelled to watch it all the way through so you got your money's worth. With Netflix you pay a fiver a month (How much is Netflix by the way?) and if a film doesn't grab you in five minutes then it's onto the next one. I don't mean you personally byt he way, i mean in general that's what happens.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th January 2019 01:01 PM

Netflix is great if you don't want to watch films made before about 3 years ago. It has a handful of classics but relies more on original content / new films.

I find it's much better for TV shows though, having full series' on there for many shows new and old.

J Harker 6th January 2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 595464)
I wasn't quoting gag from that film per-se. He often describes things he doesn't rate as 'dull and boring', and i thought that term definitely summed up Ghost Stories.

In your review the other day you mentioned the tagline. 'Best British horror in recent years' or words to that effect. Then you point put that anyone that thought that probably hasn't seen any. I can't say I can think of many particularly good recent British horrors, in all seriousness what would you recommend?

Paul Zombie 6th January 2019 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Giallo in Venice.

Inspector depaul(jeff blynn) is a big haired cop in venice who enjoys eating hard boiled eggs, and is investigating the deaths of a married couple found by the river. and discovers that the husband was a sex maniac who made his wife go with other men. Then it goes back to show what happened before the couple ended up dead, including all kinds of weird kinky sex and a few particulary nasty murders with a chap being burnt alive, a stabbing in the crotch, and the most infamous scene, a woman tied naked to a table and getting her leg sawn off. and surprise surprise, it's old regular Mariangela Diordano who lost her boob in Burial Ground. she must look back on her career with fond memories. :lol:

Definately not the greatest giallo ever made, as it has very little style or suspense. but it certainly packs a punch in the sleaze department and is a strangely compelling watch.
acting isn't too bad either even if they spend most of the time having sex that drags on for ages. :laugh:
Overall it's not too bad, but definately not one to watch with the family. :lol: 70 out of 100.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th January 2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 595470)
In your review the other day you mentioned the tagline. 'Best British horror in recent years' or words to that effect. Then you point put that anyone that thought that probably hasn't seen any. I can't say I can think of many particularly good recent British horrors, in all seriousness what would you recommend?

I highly recommend these either British or co-British productions:
The Girl with All the Gifts
Under the Shadow
The VVitch
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
The Borderlands

and have read very good things about The Ritual and Mom and Dad.

J Harker 6th January 2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 595472)
I highly recommend these either British or co-British productions:

The Girl with All the Gifts

Under the Shadow

The VVitch

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

The Borderlands

Thanks Nos, other than The Ritual I didn't realise any of those were British.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th January 2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 595473)
Thanks Nos, other than The Ritual I didn't realise any of those were British.

They all have at least one British based production company, which is my criteria.

J Harker 6th January 2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 595472)

The Ritual is indeed very good by the way.

gag 6th January 2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 595468)
I notice you mention Rocky there, gag.

In my opinion Creed is as good if not better than any of the Rocky sequels. I've also heard Creed II is very good as well.

As for modern films being all flashy action and no substance i do agree to a certain extent, however MI: Fallout which i've just seen recently is quite possibly the best action film from the 21st century. (Please don't go into one of your Tom Cruise rants - we've heard it before :tongue1: :lol:)

I also noticed mention of The Towering Inferno, like you i too regard that as a stone cold classic. In comparison to the Mission Impossible film the recent Skyscraper was tragic. Sure it was enjoyable very throw away nonsense, but it took the best ideas from The Towering Inferno and Die Hard and really failed to deliver at all in comparison.

As for Netflix in comparison to video shops? I think Netflix is far too disposable. If you paid your two pounds for a video you'd feel compelled to watch it all the way through so you got your money's worth. With Netflix you pay a fiver a month (How much is Netflix by the way?) and if a film doesn't grab you in five minutes then it's onto the next one. I don't mean you personally byt he way, i mean in general that's what happens.

There is loads of films I could have mention they where just some that have made a lasting impression , and didn't want to mention the constant films that get mention eg TCM ,clockwork orange , exorcist etc, creed II is a fine eg of how they can if the put their minds to it still make very very good films , but tend to be more not so good than good these days.
I tend to laugh at that comment when talking and saying you ...because its a figure of speech but people think that you're meaning them the person you talking to . :lol:
And not to worry I wasn't going to on any rant about Tom cruise or any other actor I can't take to. :happy:
I try and go cinema more often , but not much excites me enough these days and sometimes we go for something to do and get us out the house , and just a curious Q? To anyone what was the last decent comedy film wise that you really enjoyed since year 2000
Over past 15 \ 20 yrs I can only say less than a handful I've liked , games night \ American pie reunion , and kick ass yes even tho Nic cage is in it ..