Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Justin101 7th March 2019 06:37 PM

Dem watched The Devil Rides Out the other day and I read his review and thought, oh I haven't watched that in years! In fact, I bought the blu-ray the day it came out and still haven't got around to watching it :lol:

So I watched it last night, got very caught up in it and frightened myself a few times :lol: Fantastic film, even though I hate it when two characters only just meet and they become madly in love instantly!!

Demoncrat 7th March 2019 07:22 PM

As you miight imagine I ain't in a hurray to revisit TDRO ;) ... but it's still a firm favourite hereabouts. "Throw it in the face of that damned monstrosity!!" :nod:

End Of Days (1999, Peter Hyams)

A hunk of wood tries to prevent bad stuff happening. The Catholic Church are involved ... so what's new?? :lol:. Gaaaabriel Byrne has the time of his career playing the fallen one. SBU. Udo Kier wasted in tiny role. Not as mirth making as The Omen redo.

Dave Boy 7th March 2019 07:39 PM

I have not seen END OF DAYS in ages. Will get it out of my archives if I can find it!

Demoncrat 7th March 2019 08:02 PM

Enjoy (?) DB! It still looks sumptious etc .... ;)

trebor8273 7th March 2019 09:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSs5zsGoqs4
The story of Saraya Knight a indie wrestler from Norwich who gets the chance to live her dream and become part of the WWE as Paige, a nice heart warming film that deals with her trying to make it in the WWE and the effect it has on her family. We have Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson :loveeyes: playing himself in a small but important role as well as Nick Frost and Lena Headey as her parents I do think even those who aren't fans of wrestling will enjoy this movie. 8.5/10

MrBarlow 7th March 2019 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Hell Night 1992.

A priest goes on a murder rampage and is looked up, 25 years later a Frat prank goes wrong and the priest returns to carry on j=his murder spree.

This may sound cheesey and in some ways it is, but decent flick to watch. it does start off slow and unbearable but does get better, even though the killer does try to deliver bad one-liners which are laughable in a way. The Make up for Malius was good and has the old creepy grandpa look from TCM, slasher fans may enjoy this from the early 90s. 6 out of 10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th March 2019 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Girl Who Knew Too Much (1963)

Mario Bava's Hitchcockian style thriller is widely acknowledged as the first true Giallo film. Starring the lovely Leticia Roman as an American tourist visiting an elderly relative in Rome who witnesses the murder of a woman late one night on the Spanish Steps, but the following day there is no body, no evidence and no one believes her.

The plot is a little on the convoluted side with no real motive for the killer when the denouement plays out but the journey to that point following a thrilling opening fifteen minutes is one of Lewton esq shadowy lighting, chills, humour and hysterical Italians shouting 'Pronto' at one another.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th March 2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 599330)
The Girl Who Knew Too Much (1963)

My favourite Bava film. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th March 2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 599332)
My favourite Bava film. :nod:

Is it really?

It's years since i watched it so tonight was like watching a whole new film for me.

Dave Boy 8th March 2019 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 213140
CAPTAIN MARVEL

After the sh*t storm that has been going on in the past months about this movie due to the Marvel marketing and Brie Larson's comments I was fearing the worst.
The movie was okay. A serviceable if slightly underwhelming origin movie that slips in to the lower case Marvel movies.
One of the problems is that at a later point in the movie, they have Carol Danvers receive her full powers. She is REALLY powerful almost verging on ridiculous.
How are they going to proceed now going forward. They are going to have trouble finding villains for her to fight because this movie makes Captain Marvel unstoppable.
So for me, an entertaining mish mash of good and bad ideas but not the trash fire I was expecting.