Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Paul Zombie 9th July 2019 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Angel Face(1953)

Robert Mitchum plays an ambulance driver who gets a call to a posh house where a woman has been involved in a gas incident. and ends up getting involved with the manipulative step daughter(Jean Simmons, wearing a bad wig) :lol: who is obsessed with her father and hates her step mother.

Very entertaining film noir from Otto preminger. with top notch performances from femme fatale Simmons as the sweet faced girl who is good at arranging accidents, and the ever reliable laid back Robert Mitchum, who gets drawn into her web.
An intriguing film and with a shocking finale, unlike the usual sugar coated endings that Hollywood were known for.
Well worth checking out. 75 out of 100.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th July 2019 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Death Carries a Cane (1973)

A photographer, played by Nieves Navarro, witnesses the murder of a woman through a tourist telescope. Unable to get a clear sight of the killer she informs the police as one by one all witnesses to the killers escape wind up dead.

Directed by Maurizio Pradeaux, and one of only two gialli he made out of a rather tiny seven film career, the other being 1977's Death Steps in the Dark. Death Carries a Cane is a promising entry in the giallo genre. The film possesses some nice touches, the typical giallo killer - black hat, coat and gloves, being one. I also like the idea of the cane. The killer holds his victims down using the cane handle before slashing their throats with the razor. In fact the film is certainly one of the sleazier entries with grizzly throat slashings and salacious sex galore.

Death Carries a Cane is a very watchable if unremarkable example of the giallo thriller.

MrBarlow 9th July 2019 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Burnt Offerings 1976.

A couple and their son decide to spend the summer in a house unaware of its back history.

Different take on the haunted house genre with a dark gothic tone atmosphere, Oliver Reed and Karen Black play the couple who rent the house and look after the strange old lady in the room that nobody sees. Burgess Meredith and Eileen Heckart play the siblings who rent out the creepy house, and Bette Davis Joins as aunt Elizabeth. The film does has his moments of dragging on and slow moments, but does have its creepy moments with the smiling chauffeur wth a good background score. 5-6 out of 10

nosferatu42 10th July 2019 01:19 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Attachment 216733

Pakistan's fist gore film, i didn't know what to expect with this one but i'm always up for an obscure foreign horror film.

Attachment 216737

It's a very interesting and entertaining mix of indian style culture and 70's horror movie tropes, coming across as a mix of elements of Zombie flesh eaters/Texas chainsaw massacre but set in a wood filled with fog that is reminiscent of the style of The Evil dead.
Added to the mix is some cheesy acting, a funky indian style theme tune and it's all topped off with a fair amount of gore.

Attachment 216738

The plot is simple and derivative but if like me you're a fan of goofy 70's low budget horror it's perfectly acceptable, basically some kids head off to a rock concert and get sidetracked ending up in a cursed area.

Attachment 216734

They drive an old camper van in scenes that ape TCM,( run into some random zombies ??? who infect one of the group) a crazy bearded guy who they give a lift to and finally an nuts old woman and a giant burkha wearing creature swinging a whacking great ball with spikes.

Who will survive and will they taste good in a curry?

Attachment 216735

I found this very entertaining, it's pretty well made and atmospheric for a low budget horror, the background music in some places was very 70's experimental and pretty effective, (the stuff used in the zombie scene gave me a Manchester Morgue vibe) and it doesn't outstay it's welcome at a brisk 75 minutes

Distributed by the guys at Mondo Macabro, this is partly written by Pete Tombs and features music by Stephen Thrower.

Also in the set i have is the film "Dracula in Pakistan" that i need to watch at some point. It's a region 2 release and has a spoken English language version as an option, think it may be a Dutch release.

Attachment 216736

A very enjoyable 7.5 / 10 :pop2:

Here's a trailer so you can judge if it's your kind of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpsrtqYgWFY

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th July 2019 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Playgirls and the Vampire (1960)

One stormy night five showgirls and their manager show up at an old spooky castle seeking shelter, home of Count Kernassy (Walter Brandi).

The film has echoes of Carmilla but the first half is largely a plotless mix of the girls dancing and stripping in babydoll nighties and high heels. It's only the final twenty minutes when it can really be considered a horror film. Whilst there is a small amount of nudity, gore is limited to a couple of tiny red dots on a girls neck to signify a vampire bite and the castle itself is far too white in decor to ever be considered creepy.

When you compare what the likes of Hammer were putting out at the time, The Playgirls and the Vampire really isn't very good, with the acting at times risible, especially the vampire baring his fangs looking like Lugosi on speed.

I do however have a soft spot for the film, it's difficult to say why, maybe because it's... no, no idea really, let's just say it has a certain charm that only Italian films of the period could replicate.

Deadite 10th July 2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 607190)
Attachment 216733

Pakistan's fist gore film, i didn't know what to expect with this one but i'm always up for an obscure foreign horror film.

Attachment 216737

It's a very interesting and entertaining mix of indian style culture and 70's horror movie tropes, coming across as a mix of elements of Zombie flesh eaters/Texas chainsaw massacre but set in a wood filled with fog that is reminiscent of the style of The Evil dead.
Added to the mix is some cheesy acting, a funky indian style theme tune and it's all topped off with a fair amount of gore.

Attachment 216738

The plot is simple and derivative but if like me you're a fan of goofy 70's low budget horror it's perfectly acceptable, basically some kids head off to a rock concert and get sidetracked ending up in a cursed area.

Attachment 216734

They drive an old camper van in scenes that ape TCM,( run into some random zombies ??? who infect one of the group) a crazy bearded guy who they give a lift to and finally an nuts old woman and a giant burkha wearing creature swinging a whacking great ball with spikes.

Who will survive and will they taste good in a curry?

Attachment 216735

I found this very entertaining, it's pretty well made and atmospheric for a low budget horror, the background music in some places was very 70's experimental and pretty effective, (the stuff used in the zombie scene gave me a Manchester Morgue vibe) and it doesn't outstay it's welcome at a brisk 75 minutes

Distributed by the guys at Mondo Macabro, this is partly written by Pete Tombs and features music by Stephen Thrower.

Also in the set i have is the film "Dracula in Pakistan" that i need to watch at some point. It's a region 2 release and has a spoken English language version as an option, think it may be a Dutch release.

Attachment 216736

A very enjoyable 7.5 / 10 :pop2:

Here's a trailer so you can judge if it's your kind of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpsrtqYgWFY

The ball with spikes on is called a morning star. Part of the flail family of weapons.

Demoncrat 10th July 2019 07:21 PM

Time Warp (1980)

Found this today. If ye wants to see Batman perv after a missing astronaut's wife? Line up here. A double bill with Warp Speed (1981), which is a tad duller :lol:

Hellraiser 3: Hell On Earth

It's still not a great film. Her from DS9 gets involved this time. I had to put on Inferno to take my mind off it. Now there's a film. Why didn't I review that instead? :rolleyes:

MrBarlow 10th July 2019 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Madhouse 1981.

A woman escapes an asylum and heads out to pursue her twin sister on the lead up to their birthday.

For the first half of this movie was in two minds to switch it off, it just seemed slow and stop but it did get better...just a little bit. Think this film makes you think twice going to a mansion for a birthday party that hardly ends well. Patricia Mickey does try to hold out as the heroine but poor acting from others doesn't do well and almost totally predictable. 3-4 out of 10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th July 2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 607233)
Madhouse 1981.

A woman escapes an asylum and heads out to pursue her twin sister on the lead up to their birthday.

For the first half of this movie was in two minds to switch it off, it just seemed slow and stop but it did get better...just a little bit. Think this film makes you think twice going to a mansion for a birthday party that hardly ends well. Patricia Mickey does try to hold out as the heroine but poor acting from others doesn't do well and almost totally predictable. 3-4 out of 10.

Only just bought this a couple of months back and haven't watched it yet.

I'm not full of much hope for it now. :lol:

nosferatu42 10th July 2019 09:22 PM

I quite enjoyed "Madhouse" a few weeks ago so i guess it's just down to personal taste.:rolleyes: